Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Hydrogen .... Believe it or not.

In anticipation of the introduction of hydrogen from 2017, Mercedes/Nissan/Renault have let it be known that planning for the supporting infrastructure should commence ASAP.
I am assuming Europe will lead the way and the ? is are the API going to try and block such moves here as I also assume their counterparts will in the US.
Will the ex LPG pumps be used to supply this new fuel.
Apart from the usual "...I'll believe it when I see it" comments......"times ARE achangin" faster and faster.
For some threateningly so......

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hydrogen .... Believe it or not.

im fermenting sliced onions and cucumber skins

i dont need your damn hydrogen
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
In anticipation of the introduction of hydrogen from 2017, Mercedes/Nissan/Renault have let it be known that planning for the supporting infrastructure should commence ASAP.
I am assuming Europe will lead the way and the ? is are the API going to try and block such moves here as I also assume their counterparts will in the US.
Will the ex LPG pumps be used to supply this new fuel.
Apart from the usual "...I'll believe it when I see it" comments......"times ARE achangin" faster and faster.
For some threateningly so......
Hydrogen is fine as a fuel source. The problem is the simpletons who think they are going to be able to fill up with water and drive away.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
Hydrogen is fine as a fuel source. The problem is the simpletons who think they are going to be able to fill up with water and drive away.
Thank christ for that......have you seen the price of bottled water in servos, I could never afford that.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Hydrogen fuel stations are already present in California. And AFAIK, Ford seem to be only US car maker really looking into it.

I personally see it as the saviour of the internal combustion engine, since it can be applied in that way with relative efficiency. Storage remains the biggest obstacle.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forevermore View Post
Hydrogen fuel stations are already present in California. And AFAIK, Ford seem to be only US car maker really looking into it.

I personally see it as the saviour of the internal combustion engine, since it can be applied in that way with relative efficiency. Storage remains the biggest obstacle.
BMW had a hydrogen 7 series a while back, it was on youtube.

I think the problem is it has to be stored at a really low temperature, the figure -270 degrees comes to mind for some reason, or I may be thinking of something else.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IIR liquid under high pressure ....would an LPG tank suffice?.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 26-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

I think the problem is it has to be stored at a really low temperature, the figure -270 degrees comes to mind for some reason, or I may be thinking of something else.
If you mean 270 degrees Celsius, that is near absolute zero... I wonder how that would be achieved?
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The issues relating to hydrogen are seemingly the same as LPG as far as 'explosive' issues are concerned but the weight is significantly higher apparently requiring structural strengthening.
All the other safety issues such as supply, transport and storage are seemingly no more of an issue than the LPG ones incl BBQs.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 26-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
If you mean 270 degrees Celsius, that is near absolute zero... I wonder how that would be achieved?
Yeah thats the one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLiTO8lX2UU

BMW Hydrogen 7

Its an actual car, they're going through it in the video and asking questions.

I think we should stick with improving LPG, they've come with some big improvements with LPG technology in the last few years and as much as I couldn't care about the Falcon, its a shame we're losing everything that came with it like the EcoLPI technology, Ford won't be doing anymore development into it so we just lost one of the big boys of LPG development.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

The liquid-burning BMW Hydrogen 7 came out nearly 8 years ago, and wasn't efficient or practical enough to get up off the ground as a mass-produced vehicle. Things seem to have come a way since then though with fuel cell tech. Hyundai is getting ready to release the iX35 Fuel Cell (Tucson) SUV later this year as the first mass market hydrogen car, available on lease in California only for around $500 per month including maintenance and fuel costs. Toyota and Honda say they are close on its heels with their fuel cell models due to follow in 2015.

Rather than combusting liquid H it uses a fuel cell to drive an electric motor and appears to have a practical range (hard to know who to believe though), top speed and refueling time. It carries around 5kg of H2 on board and the setup doesn't look to be badly intrusive on cargo space - it's diminished by 1.9 cubic feet (54 litres?) compared with a standard Tucson.

A lack of hydrogen stations outside a couple of LA looks like a major current limitation although apparently there are more planned throughout San Fransisco and LA. Will this restricted coverage along with a limited build number of 1000 vehicles in California see it go the way of the BMW 7 or will it become a viable alternative?

Last edited by chamb0; 04-01-2014 at 03:59 PM.
chamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
zilo
BANNED

The tank needs to be significantly better structured due to the higher pressures involved ( I seem to recall)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
The tank needs to be significantly better structured due to the higher pressures involved ( I seem to recall)
So now the ? is, can a conventional SI engine be converted as dual fuel?......
To answer my own ? ....who would want to?.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 26-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Same problems as CNG......Need to be stored at VERY LOW temps.....and tanks are quite heavy due to insulation being required....

LPG doesn't need either of these and we already have hundreds of pumps installed nation wide!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IIR the shear size of the CNG tanks is a problem because it remains in a gaseous state doesn't it?.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 26-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
IIR the shear size of the CNG tanks is a problem because it remains in a gaseous state doesn't it?.
Yes. 'Compressed Natural Gas'. This is why LPG is the future because the fuel is stored as a liquid so you can store much more fuel in a much smaller tank.......LPG expands 270 times from a liquid state to a gaseous state per every cubic inch of fuel......And the liquid injection systems are being improved and as long as the fuel stays under $1.00 the savings are still there + cleaner emissions.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Yes. 'Compressed Natural Gas'. This is why LPG is the future because the fuel is stored as a liquid so you can store much more fuel in a much smaller tank.......LPG expands 270 times from a liquid state to a gaseous state per every cubic inch of fuel......And the liquid injection systems are being improved and as long as the fuel stays under $1.00 the savings are still there + cleaner emissions.
I agree that LPG as a stand alone argument has more going for it.....the problem is 'the elephant I'm the room' unfortunately.....declining consumption...declining conversion....declining.....gone!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 27-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #18
timeout

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Same problems as CNG......Need to be stored at VERY LOW temps.....and tanks are quite heavy due to insulation being required....

LPG doesn't need either of these and we already have hundreds of pumps installed nation wide!
Beat me too it... Cng is a pain in the **** let alone trying to find a decent cost filling station for end user use.
timeout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go have a quiet look at the size of the fuel tank that was actually in that 7 series BMW...you know, they V12 that could only put out the power of a six cylinder because of the very low energy content of hydrogen gas?

So many technical issues, so much cost, so many problems using an energy-negative fuel such as hydrogen (takes more power to produce the stuff than is contained in the end product).

Until massive technical breakthroughs are made in storage and production, it's a dream, or just something to interest people who think there are simple answers to the fuel question.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #20
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^so why are they asking for the infrastructure rollout?.
Merc BS?.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 26-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hydrogen is an extremely difficult material to deal with. To store in any decent quantity, you have to either compress it to ridiculous pressures or cool it to near absolute zero. In both cases there are problems- boiling for the cryogenic liquid or permeation for the compressed gas. Additionally, energy per unit volume of hydrogen is very low in comparison to hydrocarbon fuels we're used to- Wikipedia says liquid hydrogen has even less mass of hydrogen in it per volume than typical liquid hydrocarbons.

To put it in perspective- look at the volume fuel tanks carried by the Aston Martin Hydrogen Rapide that competed at the Nurburgring 24H this year- massive storage volume and it only held about 3.5kg, enough for about two laps.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #22
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is the future for LPG in this country once the LPG Falcon and Commodore are gone?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #23
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
What is the future for LPG in this country once the LPG Falcon and Commodore are gone?
Covered in the LPG section......

DEAD

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV

Last edited by ryeman; 26-12-2013 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Glitch
Old 26-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
The 500,000 registered LPG vehicles are mostly retro fitted, which kind of makes a mockery of buying LPG vehicles new...

Now that significant numbers of LPG vehicles exist, you can bet that just like diesel in SUVs and trucks,
LPG price will go up to protect oil companies income streams, I recon close on $1/litre form now on....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #25
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The 500,000 registered LPG vehicles are mostly retro fitted, which kind of makes a mockery of buying LPG vehicles new...

Now that significant numbers of LPG vehicles exist, you can bet that just like diesel in SUVs and trucks,
LPG price will go up to protect oil companies income streams, I recon close on $1/litre form now on....
Yep, as long as your bum is pointed at the ground

Anything in life that gives you advantage

They will jump on it
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #26
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If any govt had understood the knock on effect from an impending Folden closure they wouldn't have bothered with LPG tax exempt status......it was never a consideration I'm thinking ....they thought it would be around long enough to undermine the tax base if they didn't introduce the levy.
Instead, just another nail.....

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 27-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #27
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem is that hydrogen cars will be speed limited to under 150,000 kilometres per second. Everytime two cars travelling at 150,000 kilometres per second, hit each other, they would set of a chain reaction.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 11:45 PM   #28
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Hopefully the pumps (at least some) will stay and the price will go down.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #29
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Prius had barely come out in large numbers before other manufacturers were getting far better fuel economy figures out of cars with "normal" drivetrains like small turbo diesels and petrol engines with interesting new technologies in them, combined with better gearboxes.

With LPG, it probably made sense back when 10ltr/100km was an unobtainable dream in anything but some funny little tiny foreign cars, but now if a manufacturers large sedan doesn't get way better than 10/100 on the highway, it's vilified as old fashioned and hopelessly out of date. Our G6E used to amaze me by sitting down on 8/100 when our four cylinder 1982 Celica can't get anywhere near that good a fuel economy.

With the price rises of LPG, and the amazing economy of "normal" cars, there's no real benefit of going the LPG route anymore.

Hydrogen has a whole other long list of limitations and problems of its own.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I wouldn't mind giving Biodiesel a shot but I don't want the whole meth lab setup in my garage to make it, my GMC has an old school IDI diesel engine, and there are people running them on biodiesel, WVO (waste vegetable oil) and WMO (waste motor oil/waste ATF), the latter really carbons up injectors and fuel system though.