Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-04-2007, 09:37 AM   #351
mangold05
Starter Motor

AU1 fairmont... Just replaced lcd dash display for multi function computer/air control etc, Ford wanted nearly $900.00 for new one. Got exchange unit with 12 months warranty sent up from Melbourne for $120.00 off ebay site. Could.nt believe it, works great and includes ford bulbs that cost $10 each. Happy as Larry
mangold05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2007, 02:19 AM   #352
passout2000
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
Item:- Front Power Windows
Problems: Slow to go up, Going up slighty sideways and/or tilting
Cause:- THe window slides inside the rubber and after time the rubber section starts to close and binds on the window glass
Fixes:- Always keep the rubbers on the inside of the door frames slighty lubed with silicon spray or graphite powder. A bit of this should be added to your detailing pack and everytime you give it a polish apply alittle to stop the window binding up
Cost:- $10/$15 for a large can of silicon spray

Item:- Front Window switches
Problems:- window won't go up or down occasionally, or switch will not reset itself to neutral.
Cause:- The the switch somehow fill with ash, dust or lint. Eventually reducing the contact points
Solutions: With a large flatblade s/driver pop the whole insert from the door, unplug then tap out the switch.
Then using a small flatblade remove the switch button from the housing, tip it upside down and wait for the contact strip and the two small acuator spacers to fall out.
Grab some cotton buds (cue-tips i think they are called) and poke around getting all the loose dirt out of the housing. Give the contact strip a wipe and light scuff with some paper, the head of the small s/driver will do, a drop of dry lube if you have it then reassemble.
Cost:- $2 for 100 cue tips and $5 for some dry lube
(maybe a photo tutorial would be better)
I dont know if this is the correct place to respond to but to cure the sticky window problem ford sell a lube that will make the windows work almost forever. Costs about $60.00. It is much better than any other type of lube.

cheers
passout2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #353
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Thermo fans should cut in at a slightly lower temperature.The eseries fan is a much better system despite its parasitic power losses.its on from the word go!!

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #354
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Stav ... I have a custom setup now in the ute ... when I turn A/C on in warmer weather ... I have all fans come on high-speed ... not just when you select Fan speed 3 and above ... it comes on straight away ... and does make a hell of a difference.

Not sure on the exact work done ... but 2 extra relays were used and wired up to the existing thermo relays and also the A/C compressor as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 08:13 PM   #355
slo351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im looking at a AU xr8 230k's on it.. blown head gasket.. simple fix or more than likely cracked head ?
cheers Ash
slo351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #356
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Interesting mate. I saw my dads 1992 fairlane and its fan is on from the moment you turn the key. I have 3 fans on my car. The 2 standard ones and a third which I installed. I am going to buy a thermal switch and have them come on when I see fit. They definately come on too late imo so I want this puppy alot cooler in normal operation.

My engine bay gets very hot with extractors and now I know why e series are much much cooler in the engine bay..

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #357
spikeman
Starter Motor

Default Auto trans problems?

Hi everyone. I'm new here, so no yelling at me. Yet anyway...

I have a 2001 AUII Fairlane V6 with 111,000 on the clock. About 3 times last week, the car went into neutral when I was driving. A few presses of the 'go' pedal and all that happened was the engine reving. After a few seconds, it re-engaged and off I went again.

I thought all was fine, as I had only been driving the car for a couple of minutes and put it down to the engine/gearbox being cold.

It happened again yesterday, once again after I had been driving only for a couple of minutes.

Question is, is this something I should be worried about? Is it something anyone else has had problems with?

I think all the mechanicals are the same in the Fairlane as in AU Falcons. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Love this forum.

Cheers!

Last edited by spikeman; 02-05-2007 at 02:49 PM.
spikeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #358
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeman
Hi everyone. I'm new here, so no yelling at me. Yet anyway...

I have a 2001 AUII Fairlane V6 with 111,000 on the clock.
We promise not to yell at you if you promise to never refer to the engine as a V6 again. I6 as it is an "Inline" 6, not a V configuration like the Holdens.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #359
spikeman
Starter Motor

Default Oops....

Oh yeah. My bad. :
spikeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #360
slo351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would be checking the tranny oil and seeing if it's got enuf..
slo351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #361
Stormboy
9 seat AUII Wagon

sounds like your gear box slipping check fluid is full and have a service done on it catch it quick and all should be good
Stormboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 04:53 PM   #362
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

LIL MONTY..... just wanna say thanks heaps man. just pulled my climate control apart and followed your steps and 20 mins later its perfect....we'll see how long it lasts i suppose.. i'll keep you informed...thanks again man...

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 08:15 AM   #363
grantm
AU-2 SW LPG

Default AU-2 problems I have fixed

1. Heater pipe tube at the back of the water pump leaking. This I think was a design fault, the steel heater pipe tube that comes out of the back of the water pump only had an Oring to seal it. I went to ford to get another Oring and they said they had a fix for that and sold me an Oring and a small bush to fit in the tube/water pump to positively locate it, ie give it some mechanical strength. This worked well and only cost about $3, although took me about 5 hours to do the whole job .(remove radiator, water pump etc clean everything new gaskets, then reinstall)

2. Misfiring and explosion under hood, blew off the air cleaner, fixed by replacing the crappy motorcraft plug leads with bosch hellicoil wound ones $70.

3. My car is dedicated gas and was really hard to start when cold, fixed by cleaning the main LPG solenoid just above the gas in line. Remove the plunger and clean all the wax off it with carby cleaner, cost $4 for a spray can of carby cleaner. I am still rapped about this fix as it was a real pain in the **** and thanks to "injected 250's " advice it starts first go every time.

No other problems other than changing oil, filter, plugs, auto trans oil, brake-fluid, battery, air cleaner and radiator coolant. When I bought the car I said "well thats the end of fixing it yourself" as it all looked a bit too complicated, everything computer controlled, but I haven't had to take it to a mechanic yet.
grantm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 08:41 PM   #364
nikos
mezzo forte

Quote:
My jack snapped the other day dropping my car on the ground, has anyone else ever had this happen?

It looked like it had never been used previously & is no in four pieces, I was thinking of sending it back to Ford with any angry letter, not that I think they'd care but it would be good to get it off my chest.
I could have been badly hurt if I didn't always keep the spare under the car when jacking.
I was pulling my wheels off the other day, and I was just about to put the jack under the car when I noticed something. The main pin that supports the scissor lift (in the middle of the X) was snapped, and bent into a C shape! Someone had obviously snapped it, and put the jack back in the boot. Real smart. Lucky I hadn't needed it in an emergency.

Anyways, I needed to get my wheels off so I hunted around and found a nice looking bolt that fitted snuggly where the pin did. Started winding the jack, and about halfway up I hear BANG and the car drops an inch. Scared the SH!T out of me!

I managed to lower the car safely down, and found that the bolt had snapped and bent into the same C shape as the original pin! Talk about a poorly designed jack.

Has anyone else had this happen?
nikos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 08:50 PM   #365
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos
I was pulling my wheels off the other day, and I was just about to put the jack under the car when I noticed something. The main pin that supports the scissor lift (in the middle of the X) was snapped, and bent into a C shape! Someone had obviously snapped it, and put the jack back in the boot. Real smart. Lucky I hadn't needed it in an emergency.

Anyways, I needed to get my wheels off so I hunted around and found a nice looking bolt that fitted snuggly where the pin did. Started winding the jack, and about halfway up I hear BANG and the car drops an inch. Scared the SH!T out of me!

I managed to lower the car safely down, and found that the bolt had snapped and bent into the same C shape as the original pin! Talk about a poorly designed jack.

Has anyone else had this happen?
It happened to me. Jack looked like it had never been used. The centre thread was in a mess. I thought maybe it was just my jack. First time I've heard this happen to anyone else.

I took the jack back to my dealer and they sent it back to ford and they gave me a new one. Only problem was is that it took over a week to get a new jack. They had to check that it was covered under waranty. :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 09:35 PM   #366
nikos
mezzo forte

Wish mine was still under warranty. I can't go and find another bolt either, because the holes have been majorly stretched! Didn't hurt your car did it? Luckily the remaining piece of bolt in mine held in one side of the scissor.
nikos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #367
Robe

Question

This was probably an excellent resource when it started but now with nearly 400 posts on a really wide variety of issues it is getting to be a bit too much to troll through.

Can I suggest that we thank this thread for its service to AUs and put it to bed? Then we can tackle these sort of Q and A matters as individual topics.

Bog standard silver BF Wagon, except for the Elvis doll , on gas.

Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Association
www.VRRDA.com.au

2015 Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance State Championships
23 May 2015, Furlan Club, Thornbury
Robe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 11:02 AM   #368
KITBAG

Good day everyone I'm New at this.........
Just got my ride (2000 AU11 Wagon)
And just like to no if the clock in dash is to light up at night.
KITBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #369
zdjoe
Starter Motor

Default 4th clutch

I have an Au xr6 series 2 and it is at my local Ford dealer getting its 4TH CLUTCH put in!! : It had the original clutch replaced at 10,000 kms (before I owned it) that clutch was replaced at 34,000 kms and now that one is being replaced at 85,000 kms, What the heck is goin on? HELP anyone!!
zdjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #370
stouty01
au2xr6 venom ute

I have an AU xr6 ute with the original lock nuts still on each wheel. The other day i was removing a wheel when the locknut removal tool cracked in a number of places. It looks unable to be fixed. How should i take the lock nuts off? Any help would be great.
Thanks
stouty01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #371
congo3sr

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 XF - AU11
Good day everyone I'm New at this.........
Just got my ride (2000 AU11 Wagon)
And just like to no if the clock in dash is to light up at night.
Hi and welcome to the mob.
The clock should be back lit when you turn your lights on.
cheers george
congo3sr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 12:25 PM   #372
s1775031
Starter Motor

Default Au 2000 fairmont headlights

My other half asked me to look at the headlight of the Fairmont. She had been to a secive centre and they took the lamp out, tested it, it was ok, then they said that the lamp needed to be fitted properly.

I have had a look at fitting the lamp securely and find it to be an impossible task. Does anyone know if the spring clip is the only fixing for the bulb. If so the bulb is very loose and wont be secured, let alone work.

Has anyone got any advice?

I would take it to the Ford guys, they in turn will probaby charge an arm and a leg.
s1775031 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 12:41 AM   #373
messanic
Starter Motor

I have had my au about 8 months. Because of the problems i had heard of concerning the head i check the oil and water very regularly.

about 2 weeks ago i noticed pinky/white sludge in the over flow bottle and immediately rang my mechanic. i was told worst case scenario it was the head but it came back to being the trans cooler had a slight crack and had leaked a small amount of trans oil into the coolant. i was told i had caught it very early.

ive had a new radiator fitted and a full cooling system flush but my mechanic recommended a trans service just to be sure there is no water in the oil. i rang a trans place and they told me if there is any water in the oil at all i would need a rebuild because the glue for the seals is water soluble. is this true or is he having me on because im a chick and should know nothing about cars? ??? i dont mind spending the money if i need to.
messanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 07:50 AM   #374
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Never heard of that before ... that's a new one to me.

I suggest getting the trans service done at a mechanic's your trust ... a transmission place isn't the only place that does them.

First of get a service done on the auto (new pan seal, filter and correct transmission fluid) and see how it goes from there.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #375
messanic
Starter Motor

thanks for that. i just wanted to make sure i didnt spend money i didnt have to .
messanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post