Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 08-09-2006, 12:31 AM   #1
Peej

Default MG hot hatch

Hey all,

Theres all this talk about Polo GTI's and the rest of the hot hatch bunch, but has anyone heard of the MG ZR??? Had an encounter with one of these and damn they are fast! 1.8L, 118kw and a 7.5sec sprint to 100km/h.. RRP $30,990. It's definatly got my interest, only thing is finding an MG dealer...

Peej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 12:43 AM   #2
Al...

I think that mg has closed down and clearing all stock, everything going to some sort of auction. once they are sold thats it. Check here.... www.mgcars.com.au
Al... is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 01:23 AM   #3
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I do believe what came into Australia, has already been sold.

Only very few of those ZR160 (I believe) made it into Australia... none of them seem to be on the used market. So, tough luck getting one!

$30,990 for a 3dr, $32,990 for the 5dr.

174Nm @ 4700 rpm and 118kW @ 6900rpm - 1.8L

They weighed 1090kg, and ran on 17s.

They were hot, but not the hottest.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 02:02 AM   #4
Danny
GT4.

WOuldn't touch one. Cant stand Brit cars...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #5
photn
AFF Post NAZI

ive heard reports that the late model MG's wherent built to the same quiality to as they where originally...just my 4cence

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 10:33 AM   #6
crispymk2

after sales support would be a big problem too at a guess unless they out source that to someone else...
Old 08-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #7
simonr
Focus Rookie

ahh i saw one of those down at stanwell park!!!
Old 08-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #8
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Think I heard someone (based in India?) had bought MG and were looking into reviving them? Could have my wires crossed though!
Old 08-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #9
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I heard the Chinese had bought the Rover factory.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:26 PM   #10
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just found this:

http://editorial.carsales.com.au/car...w/1976969.aspx
Old 08-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #11
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

The Chinese bought Rover and MG. There's an article covering it in the latest Wheels. Apparently the company wants MG to stand for Modern Gentleman instead of Morris Garages. Either Wheels or Motor also had a review when the ZR160 was released here but things went pear-shaped not long after. Also, compared to a certain Japanese hatch recently bagged on here, the torque figures are pretty woeful.

And Photn, when have MGs or Rovers ever been built to a high standard?
Old 09-09-2006, 10:59 AM   #12
FlaminFiesta

also they are making the cars in china , dissambling certain parts and putting it back together in the UK so its still british made!
FlaminFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #13
photn
AFF Post NAZI

lethal...i didnt mean that had high standards just saying that there build quality (either it be crap or good) has been deterioating over the years meaning crappiers build quality....never sujuested that they have high standards for build quality....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 07:48 PM   #14
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I think their build quality is a little hit-or-miss.

My work friend has a MGF convertible.... and has problems WEEKLY. Leaky roof, blown engine, screwed gearbox (won't engage gears), won't start... breaks down, steering rattles etc. You get the point

Another mate has the SAME car, colour etc and it has never had one problem... at all!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 10-09-2006, 12:41 AM   #15
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alot with the mechanical side can by with how he/she treats it.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #16
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not always... My Pommy made Peugeot 306 S16 had second gear and synchro replaced @ 1500km. It was babied for the first 1000km and only when I started to do faster gear changes was the fault apparent (huge grating gear changes!?!)

It was plagued with electrical problems and other issues too.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:36 PM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
Alot with the mechanical side can by with how he/she treats it.
Being a female driver, I don't think it has ever seen above 4,000rpm.

Well, not whenever I'm in the car

The other car loves to be driven, but male drivers... yet it is fine.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:35 PM   #18
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcod
Not always... My Pommy made Peugeot 306 S16 had second gear and synchro replaced @ 1500km. It was babied for the first 1000km and only when I started to do faster gear changes was the fault apparent (huge grating gear changes!?!)

It was plagued with electrical problems and other issues too.
Yes some cars can have problems because of build errors I don't and never have denied this. But as you admit it only happened when you started to shift faster so isn't it possible that by shifting faster you exposed the gearbox to forces it wasn't designed to cope with? I know I can shift the fiesta faster than the gearbox likes so I know not to do it.

I don't know the whole story of what happened but it's not outside the realm of possibility that your actions were part of the failure. But its also possible it was purly a build fault
Old 10-09-2006, 07:32 PM   #19
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I'm sure Dave drove other 306 S16s to know that his had a fault...

Old 11-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #20
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
Yes some cars can have problems because of build errors I don't and never have denied this. But as you admit it only happened when you started to shift faster so isn't it possible that by shifting faster you exposed the gearbox to forces it wasn't designed to cope with? I know I can shift the fiesta faster than the gearbox likes so I know not to do it.

I don't know the whole story of what happened but it's not outside the realm of possibility that your actions were part of the failure. But its also possible it was purly a build fault
I guess that's why they had no issues replacing it under warranty.... I said "shifting faster" and "after being babied for first 100km"- the two together DO NOT add up to me trying lightning shifts!?! :hihi:

Another clue:
"after being babied for first 100km"= driving sedately and changing gears very slowly
"shifting faster"= changing at what are normal speeds for a lot of drivers

Trust me NO manufacturuer will warrant a gearbox fault that they can blame on the driver- and this was acknowledged as a manufacturing fault as soon as a mechanic test drove it. The 306's did have a lot of common faults- that's a fact; and they were made in England- that's also a fact.

But, would I buy another one? YES!

A lot of the MG's were bagged for their build quality etc, but they generally received glowing reviews for their handling and performance.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:57 PM   #21
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
I think their build quality is a little hit-or-miss.

My work friend has a MGF convertible.... and has problems WEEKLY. Leaky roof, blown engine, screwed gearbox (won't engage gears), won't start... breaks down, steering rattles etc. You get the point

Another mate has the SAME car, colour etc and it has never had one problem... at all!
My mate had an MGF Roadster too. It had EXACTLY the same issues at your mates. Last straw was when it blew up on his way to a Uni Exam.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #22
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Last straw was when it blew up on his way to a Uni Exam.
Haha - her's does that frequently!

But in saying that, I still love when she throws me the keys :

Murcod - too right. I still love those 306s... in particular the XSi and GTi6. I wanted one in the past, and still stare at every single one that drives past me! They were made in England? That's news for me! I thought they were made in France... bloody french, can't get things right so they send the hard work to England :nutsycuck

Old 11-09-2006, 08:21 PM   #23
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I guess that's why they had no issues replacing it under warranty.... I said "shifting faster" and "after being babied for first 100km"- the two together DO NOT add up to me trying lightning shifts!?! :hihi:

Another clue:
"after being babied for first 100km"= driving sedately and changing gears very slowly
"shifting faster"= changing at what are normal speeds for a lot of drivers

Trust me NO manufacturuer will warrant a gearbox fault that they can blame on the driver- and this was acknowledged as a manufacturing fault as soon as a mechanic test drove it. The 306's did have a lot of common faults- that's a fact; and they were made in England- that's also a fact.

But, would I buy another one? YES!

A lot of the MG's were bagged for their build quality etc, but they generally received glowing reviews for their handling and performance.
Calm down dude. Read what is actually being said.

I said it was equaly possible that your actions caused the fault and the manufacter screwed up. I didn't make a judgement at all. How about you apply the same amount of time reading other peoples posts as it does to read and decypher your posts.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #24
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Murcod - too right. I still love those 306s... in particular the XSi and GTi6. I wanted one in the past, and still stare at every single one that drives past me! They were made in England? That's news for me! I thought they were made in France... bloody french, can't get things right so they send the hard work to England :nutsycuck
Yes, I think at the time the 206 and 406 were made in France and the 306 was made in England. Didn't find that out until after I bought it- strangely enough I discovered that fact when it was back on one of it's many warranty related visits to the deal- in a Peugeot magazine/ brochure. The 307 is a big step backwards. :(

Pieoter- that was the straw.... take the hint.
Old 13-09-2006, 12:28 AM   #25
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Yes, I think at the time the 206 and 406 were made in France and the 306 was made in England. Didn't find that out until after I bought it- strangely enough I discovered that fact when it was back on one of it's many warranty related visits to the deal- in a Peugeot magazine/ brochure. The 307 is a big step backwards. :(
Wow, now that is news for me! Well there you go...

Funny you should mention that! My work collegue had a 307 (series 1) 1.6L Auto, and had so many problems that before warranty was out, he bought a Mazda3 and hasn't looked back! BUT, my best mate's sister has a 206 1.6L Auto, which has been faultless. Same goes with his gf's brand spanking new 307 series 2 XSi. It is soooo smooth and comfy... I actually like the thing! However, whether it is fun to drive is another issue... :