Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #121
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal_250
Do you have a link to this video?
Direct to video:
http://www.fordvehicles.com/asp/modu...ptor/video.asp
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #122
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
I don't think a large corpration can have "heart" especially when they are still in massive debt.
As for the GM model I don't think for one second it will be built here as the US government has a vested interest in GM. They want to see jobs being created and debts repaid

Where in the USA will they build a Zeta based car? Camaro is built in Canada, and that's it. There are no factories in the US that build Commodore, and there aren't likely to be any, because Zeta is dead.

Taurus might not be the right car, but, unlike Commodore, it is currently built in Chicago, and will help the US economy. The Commodore police interceptor will not make Holden one cent. It will only add to capacity at Elizabeth. I'm betting on Taurus being a success.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #123
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Where in the USA will they build a Zeta based car? Camaro is built in Canada, and that's it. There are no factories in the US that build Commodore, and there aren't likely to be any, because Zeta is dead.

Taurus might not be the right car, but, unlike Commodore, it is currently built in Chicago, and will help the US economy. The Commodore police interceptor will not make Holden one cent. It will only add to capacity at Elizabeth. I'm betting on Taurus being a success.
I can understand Ford's move with the Taurus, it was always the Crown Victoria's successor.

Caprice is too nice a vehicle to be sentenced to fleet work, especially cop cars.
Better Holden export retail versions and sell them for the right money.....

And for the record, I would be saddened if a beautiful FG Fairlane was used as a squad car,
neither manufacturer's luxury cars deserve to end up as fleet fodder in North America, leave that for FWDs..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 06:29 AM   #124
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Well, I see there are some differences of opinion on opposite sides of the pond.

There in Australia you seem to feel a car that is slated for Police or taxi service degrades the reputation of the car due to a "fleet car" status that I suppose communicates "it's a generic, patterned car good only for cheaper, less critical fleet applications."

Here in the US a car that is a taxi or Police vehicle shows that the car the public gets (regular sales) is a strong, durable enough platform to be slightly reworked to withstand the vigors of strenuous Police duty, and the non-stop, dependable and durable duty of a taxi. People buy auctioned used police vehicles for their stronger and more durable parts either to be used as a daily driver or for improving their own "pedestrian" version of the same car. Police cars are seen as workhorses that have to be able to take the worst that can be dished out to them, and therefore that platform must be quite stout to begin with.

The new Carpice cop car looks like a good car, but I think the Taurus surpasses it. I believe the rear wheel drive aspect of the Caprice will be it's biggest trump card.

The Caprice does not meet the 75 MPH rear crash certification. The Taurus does.

The Caprice uses a 6.0L V8. The high end Taurus uses the 3.5L EcoBoost engine that provides just a little less PEAK torque, but has a much wider band of peak torque. This engine will also provide a fuel savings over the Caprice, and still provide the same, or better, acceleration.

In the several articles about the Caprice cop car I have seen I have not read anything about the structural strength of the car. Does anyone have an article about this? Ford really emphasises the design of the Taurus, and the improvements that make it TWICE as rigid as the Crown Vic. The Taurus also surpasses all FUTURE Federal structural standards. I've heard nothing about this from the Caprice.

The Caprice still has the gear selector in the console. Ford moved their's to the column to make room for equipment.

In the end I see the only thing the Caprice has going for it is the RWD. The Taurus with AWD in the EcoBoost versions I think will be a benefit especially in inclament weather/snow. The 263 HP version of the Taurus is perfect for cities and other urban areas where the community layout is such that there are no freeways or long country roads where high speed pursuits are going to happen, and acceleration will be more than sufficient, while saving on fuel.

After seeing the introduction video I think the Taurus Interceptor has a LOT going for it.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #125
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB

The Caprice does not meet the 75 MPH rear crash certification. The Taurus does.
Steve, Did the Caprice fail or has it not been tested yet?

Neither the Taurus nor Caprice have their gas tanks in the rear, so the only
thing the rear crash test will prove is where the spare tyre ends up.....

If I remember correctly, the Crown Victoria required the 75 mph rear crash
test because the gas tanks were rupturing in rear end crashes and Ford was
worried that they had another potential "Pinto" on their hands.

And with regards to fleet vehicles being testament to durability for retail buyers, I think Ford Australia is disproving that by the changing sales mix.
Barely any base XT falcons are sold these days, meaning traditional fleet sales are rather low but there's been an up swing in Sport XR and luxury G series sales due to employer sponsored novated leases. I think the days of Ford and GM funneling lots of RWD sales into taxis and police vehicles are gone, the future for RWD sedans appears to be as niche luxury and sports vehicles.

John

Last edited by jpd80; 14-03-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 14-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #126
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton

I think there must be extra capacity in the GM plants somewhere and it could easily go that way but admittedly the sleeping giant that is GM moves very slowly and isnt very "dynamic" in that respect. Rationalising which model lines arent profitable and cutting them and also amalgamating plants that share the same/similar models ala Ford isnt likely but still could happen in theory and a large, long term contract from PD's could well be the catalyst..
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #127
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
I think there must be extra capacity in the GM plants somewhere and it could easily go that way but admittedly the sleeping giant that is GM moves very slowly and isnt very "dynamic" in that respect. Rationalising which model lines arent profitable and cutting them and also amalgamating plants that share the same/similar models ala Ford isnt likely but still could happen in theory and a large, long term contract from PD's could well be the catalyst..
Long term contracts... I like that phrase but trying to get one is near on impossible without a proven product.
Look at Dodge with the Charger, they came out hard with big factory discounts to get down just under the
CVPI's price and offered a better warranty. Problem was that the PDs don't like them, my Ford contact has
told me that some of the previous contracts lost to Dodge in his area are coming back to the Crown Victoria....
Old 14-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #128
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

I wonder how the Taurus is going to compare price wise with the CV...It looks to be a well thought out bit of kit - unlike the GM "paint it mat black and call it a cop car caprice"
Old 14-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #129
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

And for the record, I would be saddened if a beautiful FG Fairlane was used as a squad car,
neither manufacturer's luxury cars deserve to end up as fleet fodder in North America, leave that for FWDs..

Id be saddened too as it would be a prototype car, as there is no such thing as an FG Fairlane.
Old 14-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #130
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tauras interceptor holy smoking gm sales up in smoke batman.......if i was a cop i would want the tauras , surviveable 75 mph rear impact .......these things are a tank, adjustable human voice control for different systems flashing lights etc, 8 inch kerb ability, 365 hp , how easy will it be to flash tune these for a bit more?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #131
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Id be saddened too as it would be a prototype car, as there is no such thing as an FG Fairlane.
Edit,
I was also trying to evoke empathy from GM lurkers who read
our posts and get quite cut up when we critisize the Caprice...

Caprice PPV = $70,000 car decontented to US$25,000 squad car... :

Last edited by jpd80; 14-03-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 14-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #132
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I can also completely understand the comment about the stock falcon brakes. I have driven a falcon under lights and sirens conditions and it was woeful. Yes the power was good, the handling was ok but the brakes were terrible, heat fade comes in way too early. Our Mercedes Sprinters inspire more confidence in their braking ability. In QLD Ambulance most of the falcons have been moved from Station officer duties (who respond lights and sirens frequently) and moved to Clinical Support Officer (education) duties, as these officers do not respond lights and sirens very often.
Q1. Just out of curiosity, what is the preferred vehicle for station office duties?

Q2. Sort of surprised at the comments about brake fade ... Why do you think it is an issue with the FG?
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #133
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

In my opinion all falcon brakes (other than the brembo equiped ones) are woeful if driven moderately hard. Now please dont missunderstand this before you choose to comment - One mans moderate is another mans extreme.
Old 14-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #134
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Steve, Did the Caprice fail or has it not been tested yet?

Neither the Taurus nor Caprice have their gas tanks in the rear, so the only
thing the rear crash test will prove is where the spare tyre ends up.....

If I remember correctly, the Crown Victoria required the 75 mph rear crash
test because the gas tanks were rupturing in rear end crashes and Ford was
worried that they had another potential "Pinto" on their hands.

And with regards to fleet vehicles being testament to durability for retail buyers, I think Ford Australia is disproving that by the changing sales mix.
Barely any base XT falcons are sold these days, meaning traditional fleet sales are rather low but there's been an up swing in Sport XR and luxury G series sales due to employer sponsored novated leases. I think the days of Ford and GM funneling lots of RWD sales into taxis and police vehicles are gone, the future for RWD sedans appears to be as niche luxury and sports vehicles.

John

As Mark Fields stated, the Crown Vic is the only currently available vehicle to meet the 75 MPH rear impact certification and the Taurus is the only "new" Police vehicle to meet it as well. I don't know if the Caprice is lacking this for lack of having been tested yet or not, but the Caprice is going to be available before the Taurus is, so you would think it would be done......so maybe it failed?

The reason that the 75 MPH impact issue came about was because Crown Vic cop cars parked on the side of the highways were getting hit by stupid lookers that weren't watching where they were going. You know how hard it is to miss a vehicle that's not in the road and not moving. : Well, some Police Departments decided to sue Ford for the injuries and deaths that occured as a result of these impacts, even though there was no regulation or other requirement for such a severe impact. Ford stated they would drop Police Vehicles all together, and the lawsuits were dropped. Ford then engineered a retro-fit kit to keep the cars safe in these kinds of impacts. As mentioned, previous to this incident there was no regulation or requirement for this as the chance of it happening was rediculously low, but 75% of cop cars are were Crown Vics.

The Dodge Chargers will not handle this impact. The Chevy Impala won't either. If the Caprice doesn't it will be a big mistake on GM's part.

Also, Ford has been working towards reduced fleet sales in general in order to retain the resale value of their cars. Police cars are a different case as far as I am concerned because they are purpose built. Sales of fleets to rental agencies is where they really want to avoid sending cars.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 14-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #135
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Edit,
I was also trying to evoke empathy from GM lurkers who read
our posts and get quite cut up when we critisize the Caprice...

Caprice PPV = $70,000 car decontented to US$25,000 squad car... :
Good point.

Although obviously the Caprice won't be full luxo spec, based on the price they were selling well equipped SS's as Pontiac G8's for over 35k, a Caprice would be more expensive.

Makes you wonder how Holden plan to even make a cent on these things selling them at fleet prices and with the aussie dollar at 92 cents. They were making next to nothing on G8's and this thing will sell for fleet prices.

But then again making money doesn't seem that important to Holden as long as you can build more and more and toss over the publicity selling cop cars in the US will generate. :
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #136
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Good point.

Although obviously the Caprice won't be full luxo spec, based on the price they were selling well equipped SS's as Pontiac G8's for over 35k, a Caprice would be more expensive.

Makes you wonder how Holden plan to even make a cent on these things selling them at fleet prices and with the aussie dollar at 92 cents. They were making next to nothing on G8's and this thing will sell for fleet prices.

But then again making money doesn't seem that important to Holden as long as you can build more and more and toss over the publicity selling cop cars in the US will generate. :
Exactly,
G8s were advertised at less than US$30K and had pretty good incentives as well,
I heard that some owners were getting into them for under US$27K.

Ford keeps saying there's no business case for exporting Falcons to the USA
yet Holden seems to lap up every chance, every opportunity...

As Paxton said before, this is all about restoring the second shift at Elizabeth,
whatever Holden makes as profit is secondary, justifying that plant is priority one.
Old 14-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #137
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Honestly only on this forum could people say a Ford Taurus would be a better police car than a Caprice.

Stations prefer the Crown Vic due to its ruggedness and simplicity, yet now are they going to start opting for complex AWDs with direct injected turbo-charged engines? The Caprice will be running the same V8 and trans as used in Police spec Chevy Tahoes meaning the local garage or police mechanic can keep these cars running on the road without having to learn new systems. There is no existing police vehicle which uses the Taurus drivetrain.

Many existing departments who run Crown Vics, have incredibly arduous and complex driver training which is based all around the rear wheel drive aspect of the Crown Vic, introducing front wheel drive and All wheel drive to the fleet will mean totally new driver training techniques, this is an incredibly important aspect and it means that the Caprice can more readily step in as a replacement for the Crown Vic.

Many counties run there police cars over 100,000 miles, a V8 or V6 RWD Caprice will kill the Taurus in running costs with its rugged rear wheel drive layout, and common trans and engines.

A AWD Taurus weighs two tonnes at it is, add in the police equipment and you can bet this thing will like a drink.

The Taurus is a big car with a small interior, the officer is jammed in amonsgt all of the equipment, the lack of long interior means the officers seat wont have very long travel if a prisoner pod is installed.

Sometimes patrol cars transport officers in the back, the Caprice has some of the largest rear legroom of any mass produced car on the planet, giving more room for offenders and officers. especially important with todays strict OHS rules.

The Taurus with its front air dam dosnt even look like it could jump a median, the Caprice appears to have much better ground clearance like the Crown Vic. Great for chasing offenders especially with the growing amount of SUVs on the road which could outrun a Taurus just by jumping a kerb.

The Caprice and Commodore are proven police vehicles in very harsh environments like South Africa, the Middle East and Australia. the Taurus has no law enforcement pedigree whatsoever.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #138
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Leaving political considerations aside, the Taurus Police Interceptor has been designed in conjuction with the demands of US police Departments:

The Taurus PI has passed the 8inch kerb hop at 40mph (64km/hr) test – can the Caprice do that?

The Taurus PI has had its chassis strengthened up the point where it is twice as strong as the current Crown Vic PI (itself a very rugged car) – how strong is Caprice’s chassis?

Taurus PI’s interior in 90% new to accomodate the requirements of Police work. It has resculpted seats to accomodate officers wearing their utility belts and most importantly a column shifter has been engineered to free up console space for police equipment. -I think Caprice still has a floor/console shifter, is the rest of its interior police friendly?

Ford has designed the PI to fit police depts current equipment so that they can quickly and at little cost move that equipment out of existing police cars and into the Taurus – have Holden and GM made similiar allowances for the Caprice?

Most importantly, Taurus PI has been engineered to pass the crucial 75mph (120km/hr) rear-end collision test – could Caprice pass that test?

The Taurus PI has ticked all these boxes – unless Caprice can also meet these requirements then regardless of the politics, Holden won’t get a look in.

....and really all I'm saying is that I know Taurus PI has ticked all the boxes because the official Ford press releases are making a big song-and-dance about it. I know that GM/Holden have made some modifications for police work but I haven't seen anything from GM that would indicate the same level of engineering thoroughness for Caprice PI?

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #139
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 75 mph rear end test is nothing to do with 'survivability' it is simply a test to see if the fuel tank punctures. It is a Ford only test because of bad press Ford gained due to Crown Vic accidents. The test is not federally mandated.

Many cars could potentially past the test, the Crown Vic cannot without modifications.

Also the Taurus itself didnt pass the 8 inch kerb test, only its wheels did. Ford is only saying that the wheels can withstand the impact, there is no rating to see if the bumpers, subframes, transaxles can withstand it.
Old 14-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #140
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
The 75 mph rear end test is nothing to do with 'survivability' it is simply a test to see if the fuel tank punctures. It is a Ford only test because of bad press Ford gained due to Crown Vic accidents. The test is not federally mandated.

Many cars could potentially past the test, the Crown Vic cannot without modifications.
Yes you're right that the 75mph rear collision test is not Federally mandated, neither are a whole raft of other tests that the various police departments perform. Different jurisdictions have different requirements and testing but the barometer for police vehicle testing is the testing performed by the Michigan and L.A. police departments. Based on the results of testing by these two departments other police depts who do not have the resources to do their own analysis and testing will follow suit - Ford consulted heavily with these two departments and went through their certification processes with the Taurus PI.

As I said in my earlier post, I'm not sure how in depth GM has consulted with Police Depts or if they've done any of the Michigan or LAPD certification testing?

On a side note: their have been so many structural changes to the Taurus that its best to think of it as a totally different car - in fact I doubt that Ford will even call it a Taurus when it finally goes on sale in 2011; it will probably just be known as the Ford Police Interceptor.

Last edited by Chilliman; 14-03-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 14-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #141
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also comparing US police depts to Australian ones reveals that Aussie Police Departments are less strigent with the requirements for their vehicles than the Americans.

Its something that the Polices Unions down under harp on about all the time - that they are basically given civillian spec Commodores and Falcons with a few modifications. Their calls for a purpose designed or heavily modified vehicles have thus far fallen on deaf ears.

Old 14-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #142
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot
Q1. Just out of curiosity, what is the preferred vehicle for station office duties?

Q2. Sort of surprised at the comments about brake fade ... Why do you think it is an issue with the FG?
Hate to say it, the Commodore wagon is probably the more popular. The medical director has a Hyundai Santa Fe CDI and that is getting brilliant comments. I think this car was the idea behind the foresters but the subaru are smaller, less powerful and do not hold the road as well.

Territory has been considered and size wise would be great but considered too thirsty. A diesel version might get a look in. Other thirsty cars such as the Holden Adventra have not done too well so this is a issue.

Brakes wise, the falcon has too much mass for not very large brakes (need to remember these are base model). On repeated heavy braking they get very hot and very tired way too quickly, only my Hilux is worse in emergency conditions out of all the cars I have driven.
Old 14-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #143
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new Interceptor is an interesting move by Ford and signals a continuing right sizing of
production to profitable sales levels, the newInterceptor doesn't have to match the out
going Crown Victoria's sales because moving Interceptor to the Taurus platform
allows Ford to do two things:

1. Shutter the St. Thomas plant where the Crown Vic is built.
2. Increase production at the Chicago plant where the Taurus is built.

Those changes alone represent a drastic reduction in overhead which,
at the end of the day, is money in Ford's proverbial pocket.

Caprice could pick up sales that fall outside the Ford PI's parameters,
maybe this could become a win win situation all around.....
Old 15-03-2010, 04:38 AM   #144
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

As far as the RWD/FWD/AWD aspect goes for Police departments looking to replace their aging units, I think the ability for an officer to safely go home to his family at the end of the day is going to be a big concern. To teach someone how to handle FWD or AWD in drastic driving conditions would be a small price to pay to put them into a safer car.

The Taurus PI is rated at twice the rigidity of the out-going Crown Vic, continues the rear impact safety that is important enough to have sued for, and also has many airbags all around the front seat occupants. The Taurus already has the 5 star safety rating from NHTSA, their top rating, as well as the IIHS "top pick" safety rating. Add to this the additional reinforcement welded into the Taurus PI and I think we know what the safest vehicle is.

As far as room in the front with the rear seat division in place, the driver seat has 6-way power seat controls plus adjustable pedals to accomodate any sized officer. Most all cars only have one officer in them. The rear seats are for transporting suspects, period. They are purpose built for transporting a possibly violent, resistant occupant who will spit, kick, and ******** in the back seat, and maybe bleed as well.

Now, I am prepared to sit back and see how this all pans out over the next couple years. I'm ready to see how important the RWD aspect is and how it weighs against other attributes that the Taurus PI has. Yes, the Taurus has no Police pedigree, but it has been purpose built by the company that has owned 65 - 75% of the Police Market for a long time, utilizing the recommendations of their own Police Advisory Board (as did GM), and put through testing by two very different kinds of Police Departments with varying needs. I think it's "got a shot."

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 15-03-2010, 05:56 AM   #145
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Many counties run there police cars over 100,000 miles, a V8 or V6 RWD Caprice will kill the Taurus in running costs with its rugged rear wheel drive layout, and common trans and engines.
What is supposed to be so rugged about RWD? The lack of front driveshafts? Thats a big thing compared to the live axled, BoF Crown Vic but both the Caprice and Taurus are multi linked, IRS monocoque vehicles. I'd imagine both cars would be chewing through shafts and CV's when abused.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #146
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
Now, I am prepared to sit back and see how this all pans out over the next couple years. I'm ready to see how important the RWD aspect is and how it weighs against other attributes that the Taurus PI has. Yes, the Taurus has no Police pedigree, but it has been purpose built by the company that has owned 65 - 75% of the Police Market for a long time, utilizing the recommendations of their own Police Advisory Board (as did GM), and put through testing by two very different kinds of Police Departments with varying needs. I think it's "got a shot."

Steve
I'm curious as to how different the Ecoboost AWD PI will handle compared to a RWD car,
Ford's new AWD system normally has a 55/45 torque split but on hard launch,
throws nearly all the torque at the back wheels.

I'm wondering whether the FWD Vs AWD handling difference doesn't come down to some time on
the skid pan and let the officers safely discover the new cars characteristics at or over its limits.
Old 15-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #147
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
I'm curious as to how different the Ecoboost AWD PI will handle compared to a RWD car,
Ford's new AWD system normally has a 55/45 torque split but on hard launch,
throws nearly all the torque at the back wheels.

I'm wondering whether the FWD Vs AWD handling difference doesn't come down to some time on
the skid pan and let the officers safely discover the new cars characteristics at or over its limits.
Exactly, it is about operator training. Our police use FWD Aurion with no real issues so I see no reason why US police could not do the same. I suspect US police would probably have less issues as so many US cars are FWD it is likely that the individual police officer's personal car is FWD so they are already used to them. Personally I do not see the whole FWD vs RWD is that much of a problem for them. AWD would be the solution, vastly superior to both.
Old 15-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #148
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For most departments who opt for base model PIs, FWD and RWD is a big issue. I think the AWD version is almost irrelevant as I think there will be a low take-up of the high end AWD EcoBoost Taurus as its purchase cost and running costs will be prohibitive, although including it in a press release gives the PI Taurus a bit more cred, otherwise it would be just another Impala.

Whether its actual or not, the perception is that RWD is more rugged. Impalas snapping transaxles and CV joints have left a bad taste for many high mileage police departments.

Many US police departments undertake a lot of training using PITT monevoures - using rwd Crown Victorias. For this type of training it is important to keep the vehicles consistent especially drivetrain layout. In Australia its not as big of an issue.

I mean half you guys wax lyrical about the benefits of the Falcon being RWD and not based on a Taurus, now your saying its no big deal if a pursuit vehicle is FWD?

The Caprice has a wonderful reputation in US police forces, especially Carpice 9C1. Some counties have early 90s Caprices with over 200,000 miles, they just keep replacing things which go wrong, they were extremely popular with officers. Holden should thank themselves lucky they get to use that name in the US.
It will be worth a lot of sales.
Old 15-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #149
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
For most departments who opt for base model PIs, FWD and RWD is a big issue. I think the AWD version is almost irrelevant as I think there will be a low take-up of the high end AWD EcoBoost Taurus as its purchase cost and running costs will be prohibitive, although including it in a press release gives the PI Taurus a bit more cred, otherwise it would be just another Impala.

Whether its actual or not, the perception is that RWD is more rugged. Impalas snapping transaxles and CV joints have left a bad taste for many high mileage police departments.

Many US police departments undertake a lot of training using PITT monevoures - using rwd Crown Victorias. For this type of training it is important to keep the vehicles consistent especially drivetrain layout. In Australia its not as big of an issue.

I mean half you guys wax lyrical about the benefits of the Falcon being RWD and not based on a Taurus, now your saying its no big deal if a pursuit vehicle is FWD?

The Caprice has a wonderful reputation in US police forces, especially Carpice 9C1. Some counties have early 90s Caprices with over 200,000 miles, they just keep replacing things which go wrong, they were extremely popular with officers. Holden should thank themselves lucky they get to use that name in the US.
It will be worth a lot of sales.
The PITT maneuver issue is a moot point, the introduction of a new vehicle is likely to require formal training in the use of that vehicle, particularly if there are issues in vehicle dynamics and their application in existing procedures. We have to undertake formal conversion training when there is a significant change to the type of vehicle we use, for example the change from Ford F350 to the Mercedes Sprinter 316 and then again with the change from the Mercedes Sprinter 316 to the new 318 (although this was mostly ambulance specific fit out).

As for the FWD, many of us here have also expressed our view of it not being a problem as long as training is received in the difference in dynamics and driver techniques that is required for their safe and effective use. Remember, nearly every other police service in the developed world uses FWD vehicles, what makes the US so unique?

I think there are to many people here that think police driving is like it is on the movies, tail out around the corner in huge oversteer chasing the bad guys. True emergency driving is nothing like that, driving fast while sliding is considered out of control and poor technique in emergency driver training, more so in the real world.
Old 15-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #150
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Exactly, it is about operator training. Our police use FWD Aurion with no real issues so I see no reason why US police could not do the same. I suspect US police would probably have less issues as so many US cars are FWD it is likely that the individual police officer's personal car is FWD so they are already used to them. Personally I do not see the whole FWD vs RWD is that much of a problem for them. AWD would be the solution, vastly superior to both.
Without raising the ire of traditionalist Falcon lovers, I recon our Ford Australia engineers could design a FWD/AWD car the yanks and Euros would drool over...
Something akin to an Audi...

That system that throws all the torque to the rear looks darned good,
the leave on the heavy Lincoln MKS is awesome...
4300 lb car - that's near on 2000 Kg
mph435 hp 2010 Lincoln MKS 1/4 Mile: 13.08 sec @ 105.51