Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-12-2008, 03:19 AM   #1
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 
Default AU ECU chip tuning

I know there's probably been a few posts before regarding ECU Chip tuning using the moates burn2 and J3 Chip, but i thought i'd post an update for anyone interested and give a bit more info.

Unlike what is commonly thought, as far as operation is concerned there is no advantage to flash tuning over chip tuning, the only major difference is that the flash, re flashes the program onto the eec, and the chip bypass's the program. There is no difference in what you can change with either.

I can and have reprogrammed my AU S1 Fairmont Ghia V8 EEC with that of a T1 for example.

The one loss the chip has is that the eec needs to be removed and clean to install, and that if the eec is removed, of course it is obvious that the chip is in there, the one advantage though of the chip is that you can install multiple programs onto it and then change over from say an economy tune to a full power tune without the need to turn the engine off or stop the car. Which in my opinion is a great thing, could be advantages to those running LPG.

The eec's program we normally would refer to as a BIN file, and then we have what we call a Def (definition) file, the definition file is what tells the tuning program where and how to use each setting in the EEC program.

So far I have defined the majority of engine parameter's on the following AU V8 eec catch codes.

WAFB - S1 Fairmont Ghia v8
WALG - S2 Fairlane Ghia v8
X2CA - S1 TS50
and currently working on 12RB

So if anyone wanted to do this i could email them the def and explanation of parameters, and away they go being able to change fuel mixtures, hego amplitudes/delays, Rev/speed limits, ignition timing, maf transfer, act/ect transfer/compensation, idle speeds/ISC control, adaptive control, accel enrichment, canister purge, injectors, peak load, MFA (lean cruise), touque reduction. Basically everything to tune there engine.

Now what i am after at this point in time is more AU reads off different EEC's, including 6's. Once i have the eec read, it doesn't take me long at all for me to define them, because the majority of parameters are identical for all the AU V8, eec's, they just move them around a bit.

Although it can do E series as well, i personally am only interested in the AU's, especially the V8's but wouldn't mind doing a couple 6's. There is other people who are doing the E series. The whole plan is to give people other cheaper options to go with, I also find it interesting to see what ford have changed from different models/series.

For example S1 t S2 175kw, has the same fuel/ignition maps, yet different maf transfer. T1 eec had same fuel maps, more overall ignition advance, and once again a different maf transfer.

As time goes on, more and more settings will get defined, im bit by bit going thru the auto settings but being i have no original to go off this really takes time. Im also need to get an ostrich 2.0, the ostrich enables you to plug in and do real time tuning, and does address tracing which helps with finding other parameters, which should really help me in doing the auto.

Anyway i've thrown as much info as i can think of in here, and if anyone is interested and wants to know more, just pm me for info.

Matt

Last edited by 5.0 ED; 14-12-2008 at 03:24 AM.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
galapogos01
eec tweaker

Hey Matt,

Great work. Would be very keen to see your definitions.

Cheers,
Jason
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

Yeah no problem, i've been communicating with jaysen a fair bit, over the next month i'll start sending them to you so that you can post them on the your website.
Old 22-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
xr8ute
Back on the road

I can get you a Y3EC from my AU1 XR8 Auto. I should have a bit of time over the festive break to play.

Can you use a bin that has been ripped using a twEECer?

Can the def files be converted to use with a twEECer?

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
galapogos01
eec tweaker

I am pretty sure neither, as twEECer uses custom formats, however I dont have a twEECer so cant confirm.

You could probably re-create an open definition in twEECer as we don't hide the addresses for tables like the commercial guys do.
Old 23-12-2008, 02:06 AM   #6
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

xr8ute, the def can be read with a tweecer but it will be a 56k file whereas i've been doing them in 256k, basically a straight full copy off, and then burning the full copy to the chip.

What can happen is if you read it, email it to me, i create a def to suit the tweecer style file in tunerpro, you can then edit the tunerpro file as you see fit and then use the tweecer to re write that bin to a chip.
Old 23-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #7
xr8ute
Back on the road

OK, thanks guys.

It looks like maybe I can use BinaryEditor (http://www.eecanalyzer.net/product_i...ry_editor.html) to convert to/from twEECer and std bin dumps.

Can you guys read J3 chips? I have a chip from a boosted AUIII XR8 with a Vortech kit that I purchased a couple of years ago. Would be interesting to see what the differences are in the tune if there is a std copy of the bin for that catch code as well.

5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Old 23-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
galapogos01
eec tweaker

Yep, both the moates and ATP/TechCore hardware can read most aftermarket J3s (everything i've ever thrown at them).
Old 26-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #9
namecrap

is it the same process to read an AU ecu as an E series ECU? or can u use the diagnostic ports on the OBD plug to do it on AU?
namecrap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2008, 04:07 AM   #10
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah u still use the J3 port on AU's but it uses different settings, i actually use 2 different programs for AU and E series, AU i use tunerpro, for E series i use EECEditor, for some reason EECeditr reads AU's wrong. I'm doing definitions for tunerpro which i prefer anyway.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
xr8ute
Back on the road

I cleaned the J3 connector on my EEC yesterday, and licensed a copy of Clint Garritys BinaryEditor. I plan on ripping a Y3EC bin and when I am back to my place next week.

I am keen to start learning hot to build a definition file. Having read a bit about it, it seems like a good way to kill some time

Any chance you can email a copy of the bins and defs for the AU V8 stuff you've already got?

I'll post up a copy of my Y3EC bin as soon I've ripped it.

Dave.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can we use the gear available from the chaps down south for our J3 chips and programers etc ?? from this mob http://www.techcore.com.au/eec/ or do we still need moates gear for the AUs?
Old 05-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #13
galapogos01
eec tweaker

as per my reply to your other post, the hardware is dual bank capable (not directly via tunerpro emulation, yet), and can work on dual-bank ecus. however there are no open definitions for AU 6cyl yet.

Cheers,
Jason
Old 05-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #14
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks mate
Old 06-02-2009, 02:13 AM   #15
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

galapogos1 - I have actually started an AU I6 def, based off an AU fairmont ghia VCT read i have done.

xr8ute - if u email me a copy of your read, i can very quickly have u most of your def for engine management up and running, they don't change much, it's all just moved slightly due to updates.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #16
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sweet.. least one of you fellas has looked at the AU VCT side of things!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #17
xr8ute
Back on the road

Thanks Matt, that would be great. I'll send it through once its ripped.

Old 18-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #18
xr8ute
Back on the road

I've just ripped a copy out to a bin file, but its only 224kb big. Is that a problem?

I've loaded it back onto the TwEECer, and have the engine running from the twEECer chip now.

I read the bin with Hex Workshop and found NVX07ED. I guess that is the strategy name?

Anyway, more reading to do. Matt, I will email the bin shortly.

EDIT: I've just uploaded a copy of the bin to the Stock Binarys folder on the Moates site.

Last edited by xr8ute; 18-02-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 27-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #19
xr8ute
Back on the road

I've spent a little bit of time scanning through the bin, and it looks like the majority of the data is the same, and on the Y3EC the address are 3FD2 less than on the WAFB.

I dont know if there is a quick way to make this change to the XDF file or not?

I've put together an Excel sheet of all the WAFB data/locations that you guys have put together, and done some HEX math on it to reduce the address by 3FD2.

I am double-checking the resulting values, and modifying the XDF file manually.

I'll get a chance to test some changes to the bin next week.

Old 27-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #20
galapogos01
eec tweaker

thats a big change. normally they are out a few bytes. it sounds like your bin is the wrong size/missing padding.

are you creating a def to the same sized bin as WAFB (256KB)? if not you should be!
Old 27-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #21
xr8ute
Back on the road

Yeah, its a 224KB bin.

For the sake of consistency, I'll find out if/how I can rip the full 256KB bin using BinaryEditor and my twEECer before I get too carried away putting together a definition...

So is there an easy-ish way of applying this sort of offset to the addresses in an existing XDF file? Or is it just one scalar/flag/table/function at a time via the TunerPro GUI?

Old 27-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #22
xr8ute
Back on the road

So would it be correct to say that there are 4x 64kb banks, and the first 8kb of each bank is padded with FF's? i.e. 0-2000, 10000-12000, 20000-22000, and 30000-32000.

This 8kb padding at the start of each bank would make up the 32kb difference between my 224kb bin and the 256kb bins.

Hmm.....will check this now.

Old 27-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #23
galapogos01
eec tweaker

that's right.

maybe split yours into 4x56k with tunerpro, then pad each one with 8k (with a hex editor), then join back together? that's what i'd do, might be easier than trying to rip it.

i dont think you can offset a file in this way but i've been wrong before. dont have tunerpro handy atm.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #24
galapogos01
eec tweaker

OK, i've found there is an offset function under XDF Header Info - but its designed to offset against padding etc. Using this would work as long as all addresses in the calibration area are offset by the same amount. In some bins it's not this simple.

Let us know how you go with padding out the bin.

Jason
Old 02-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #25
xr8ute
Back on the road

Yeah, I dont think it will be quite that simple. Thanks for looking

I think I will have time again on Thursday after work.

I plan on burning the 256kb bin to the twEECer (using BE) and if that all works OK, then i'll delete the 224kb bin and just start manually building a def based on that (so that it might be useable by as many people as possible).

If I can get through that, and spend a bit of time tuning the idle, then I will be very happy

Old 02-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #26
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

im confused, lol good work guys

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Cookie-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #27
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i've had issue's with eec editor readin the eec5's correctly, instead ive been always using tunerpro, cause it rips straight to a 256k bin no hassle.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #28
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
Yeah i've had issue's with eec editor readin the eec5's correctly, instead ive been always using tunerpro, cause it rips straight to a 256k bin no hassle.
Do you mean (Tim Booth's) EEC Editor? I am using (Clint Garrety's) Binary Editor.

Im really keen on checking out Moates new Quarterhorse product. Real-time "live" tuning and datalogging for EECV. But at ~$AUS400 its a little out of my budget at the moment :(

Old 03-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #29
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes i ment Tim Booth's, i dont use binary editor, i've had a look at it, but i prefer tunerpro ova all.

Yes that quarterhorse looks very good, im goin to get one soon, just the advantage that to change your tune u dont have to pull the kickpanel off and the chip out each time alone makes it great.

Now to mention that if we can get eec read's of peep's cars, then they wont require the burn2 and adapters to write there chips either, so they just order the one thing, the quarterhorse, sounds great to me, now just that price tag?
Old 03-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #30
galapogos01
eec tweaker

I've found TunerPro to be the best & easiest to use.

Given current economic times, you guys should stop giving our money to the yanks - use T.I. Performance chips & programmers!!! We have full realtime hardware in the pipeline, just need to do the R&D. We already have a solution for AU dual bank bins (using a seperate app to burn the full bin as TunerPro support for our gear only allows 64K), but this will become much simpler in the near future with a revision to our gear due out within the next month or two.

This upgrade will hopefully also allow in-car reprogramming of our existing chips making it loads easier to update your tune (i.e. no more pulling apart the kick panel!).

Jason
This user likes this post: