Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-04-2005, 12:35 AM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default AU porting..why?

Where is the problem with restriction in the AU head??Is it the intake or exhaust? Can it not get enough in ,or not enough out?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #2
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Autospeed did a write up of the AU head, and explained what areas could be improved.

To get a copy of the article, goto:

http://www.google.com/

Search for: "autospeed turbo daihatsu charade"

Click on the first link that comes up.

Then in the article search field on the left search for: "porting gains"

Click on the first link that comes up ("Porting Gains" - 05-June-2003)

Last edited by LG; 20-04-2005 at 11:17 AM.
LG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

According to the tests they did, the AU has only a 302hp design. And exhaust valves and ports only flow 81cfm. Both less than the comparrison EB Head.

After working on the AU head, it had an exhaust flow 76 per cent of the intake, an improvement on the 73 per cent achieved with the stock head.

It's definately worth the read, and it tells you, where gains can be made from modifing the head.

The restrictions seem to be the exhaust valves (slightly), shape of the combustion chamber. And...
Quote:
"One of the main restrictions in the AU intake is that the [cross-sectional] area directly over the short-side radius is a bit too small and so it's accelerating the air and creating turbulence - the port necks-down at that point. I've increased the cross-sectional area there, mainly in width although there's also a bit taken out of the roof. I've also streamlined the guide to get a bit more area in there as well."

Last edited by LG; 20-04-2005 at 11:30 AM.
LG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 04:57 PM   #4
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Useless I posted the whole article from Autospeed on the old FF site.

If you want it I think I still have access to get a hold of it.

It was quite a good read.

Here's the link to the actual article if you have an account with autospeed.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1792/article.html

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 05:25 PM   #5
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you use the steps i said, it doesn't matter whether or not you have an account.
Old 20-04-2005, 05:45 PM   #6
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
If you use the steps i said, it doesn't matter whether or not you have an account.
I just tried that then and it worked....hmm you normally need an account to access it.

That makes life easier then.

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 07:05 PM   #7
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
I just tried that then and it worked....hmm you normally need an account to access it.

That makes life easier then.
Yeah you do need an account, but It's a glitch in their system.. :voldar02:
Old 20-04-2005, 10:02 PM   #8
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

The AU isn't bad at 302hp. The easiest way to improve flow of any head is use a high lift cam or higer ratio rockers. More lift = more flow. well if the turbulence isn't too bad and that is an oversimplification but it works on I6's and Windsors all right.

The AU head has large enough inlet and ex valves for the long stroke small bore engine it has that is limited to rev to about 6300rpm max and most modded engines will peak around 5000-5300rpm anyway. The AU head problems are the bulge between the valves in the middle of the head the Valve guide intrusion in the inlet and the inlet and exhaust port sharp curve and small x section area that squeezes the air as it makes the last turn into the head causing turbulence.

A good ported AU head will flow 25% more 380hp which is more than you can get with a N/A motor because of the bottom end rev limitations.

Real world I have seen a ported head I6 engine with similar mods to mine pull another 10rwkw so a heads worth another 6% power gain in the mid range and about 10% at the top end.

As an example lets say a JMM dev3hl 136rwkw vs 145rwkw with head work
or a JMM dev5 150rwkw or 161rwkw with head work is what I can guess from all the dyno days i have gone to.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 10:12 PM   #9
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Good advice there jonbays after much playing with Hamo's Au i have seen very simular things.
i would say if you have a manual and you want to build a engine to race do the head.... otherwise leave the head alone especially with an Auto..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post