Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 08-10-2011, 01:02 AM   #181
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 
Default Re: XC Cobra #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Paul what process did you follow for the brake restoration

I am at that stage with the Landau

Did you sandblast anything?

I want my calipers looking like new again...only the best will do for my Landau
Rear calipers are not something you want to be working on, they are a major PITA!!! Fronts are easy but I took the easy route and took them to a major overhauler (Repco Brake & Clutch - Industrial division). They stripped, bead blasted, machined and re-assembled accordingly. I then finished them off with 'grey cast iron' paint.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2011, 03:53 AM   #182
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

I did not get much done today as other jobs had to be done. However, I managed to get a few things done.

First of which was the battery tray.

As usual, first job was to tap out all of the paint filled threads

Old and the new (well, recon bracket but new solenoid)

And fitted to the car

I couldn't help myself. It is a bit too early to get the tyres out of storage as I still need to do a bit more work on the front end but hey, I was keen on breaking them out and fitting them as it has been as long 8 year wait!!!!

I also got the headlights back today as well

So the grille is mostly finished now. A few too many pics of the car but hey, why not??? I think it looks great and it is nice to see it finally coming together

Last job was to start on the AC & dash, didn't get far though

The focus now though will be on getting this damned dash in though. Much as I hate the idea of having to do it. So hopefully, next update will show all of the dash in.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:51 AM   #183
Paull
P6 LTD

Some more progress

The dash is now in, well mostly.
All of the HVAC system in

New light switch

And now it is in

Certainly not a job I hope to have to do again any time soon. I still need to get the hand brake and steering coloumn sorted. At least now, the interior can go in.

All of the engine bay work has now been completed. Hand brake cable is in, speedo cable is in, bonnet release cable is in, accelerator cable is in, earth lead is bolted to the firewall and the only thing remaining is the emissions cannister. After that, the engine can go in (need to assemble it first though of course).

Hand brake 'front' cable is also completed, bar the spring

Now, a small probelm. I think my front tyres are too clsoe to the upper control arms. Anyone have a solution for this, other than putting skinny tyres on????

Old 11-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #184
Brute 33
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They should clear the top arm when the vehicle is back on the ground ....if not 1/4 spacer will fix that..
Brute 33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #185
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm so envious of you at the moment - the car is getting closer to completion and is looking great. Brute 33 has just posted before me but I was wondering that once you get the motor / gearbox etc in, will the top arm be in a different position?? As Brute has said a spacer should give you that little bit extra clearance but would the tyre still rub under normal driving conditions??

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #186
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute 33
They should clear the top arm when the vehicle is back on the ground ....if not 1/4 spacer will fix that..
Excellent, hadn't thought of that. Thanks

If I do require a spacer, are these legal as I will need to get it registered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6WGN
I'm so envious of you at the moment - the car is getting closer to completion and is looking great. Brute 33 has just posted before me but I was wondering that once you get the motor / gearbox etc in, will the top arm be in a different position?? As Brute has said a spacer should give you that little bit extra clearance but would the tyre still rub under normal driving conditions??
Will soon find out as I am picking up the engine today. It should take me a few days to get it together so perhaps by early next week, it will be in, along with the gearbox too. I certainly hope it clears.

And yes, it is getting very close now. Once the wheels went on, it really started to make a big difference. Now that the dash is in (really crap job that I was not looking forward to), things are going to move along quite quickly now.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #187
WAXBFAR

Will you have it on show @ All Ford day this year 30/10/11?
WAXBFAR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #188
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Paull]Excellent, hadn't thought of that. Thanks

If I do require a spacer, are these legal as I will need to get it registered? /QUOTE]

I would think those type of spacers are legal as they are sandwiched between the rim and the brake rotor - it's the bolt-on spacer / adapters that seem to cause the problems with the authorities. (But that would only be my reasoning - maybe someone could confirm it)

Couldn't help myself had to look again but with the photo of the dash looking out of the windscreen to the scoop - didn't the stripes on a Cobra have a lighter blue Pin stripe to finish them off? Probably one of those little jobs still to do hey??

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #189
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAXBFAR
Will you have it on show @ All Ford day this year 30/10/11?
Bert, the car wont be ready by then. I will not have the car running until the 2nd week in November. At which time it will need to go back to the panel beaters for a final cut & polish along with the rear scoop and all decals & badges.

And then ........ Rego!!!!!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #190
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6WGN
Couldn't help myself had to look again but with the photo of the dash looking out of the windscreen to the scoop - didn't the stripes on a Cobra have a lighter blue Pin stripe to finish them off? Probably one of those little jobs still to do hey??
As mentioned above, once the car is mobile, off it goes to the panel beaters for about 1 weeks work. Once he is finished with it, then yes, you will see those lovely Blaze Blue pin stipes

I have also picked up the engine today, sorry no pics as yet. Assembly will start tomorrow (I got the XD engine as well, wasn't planned for but it will be done at the same time as well). Hopefully by early next week it and the gearbox wil be in.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #191
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

You can see the finish line Paul!

Keep it up mate - love it
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #192
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull
As mentioned above, once the car is mobile, off it goes to the panel beaters for about 1 weeks work. Once he is finished with it, then yes, you will see those lovely Blaze Blue pin stipes

I have also picked up the engine today, sorry no pics as yet. Assembly will start tomorrow (I got the XD engine as well, wasn't planned for but it will be done at the same time as well). Hopefully by early next week it and the gearbox wil be in.
Hey Paul, weren't the stripes Olympic blue? Can you clarify please.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #193
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

Will be great to see this back on the road as its hasnt been there since about 1997

My car T3 TS50 #75 Blueprint manual 1/4 mile 13.38 @ 102.97 mph TS 50 = 237.1 rwkw
UU TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 02:16 AM   #194
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
Hey Paul, weren't the stripes Olympic blue? Can you clarify please.
I am thinking that perhaps the article here shows the 'replacement' tape????? Could be wrong though. What gives it away is that they say "12mm" tape whereas the original tape is 1/2".

http://falconcobraclubofaus.com/stripes.html

I was thinking where I had got the info from and all that I could think of was the write up in AMC. Here is an on-line version of it

http://cobra.jfpresentations.com/cobra.html

I have taken the section of the article and shown it here;

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfpresentations
To this base specification, the non-RPO equipment unique to the 400 Cobras built was called 'Option 96' and included the following:
" Front spoiler (vacuum formed - Bathurst units were fibreglass)
" Rear spoiler (fibreglass)
" Paint code Z605, Sno White exterior colour with Bold Blue accent colour stripes and with Blaze Blue pinstripe tape ½-inch wide between Sno White and Bold Blue accent colour." Colour keyed bumper bars to match exterior striping
" Bodyside protection moulding deleted
" Quarter panel (dummy) air scoops deleted
" Tinted backlite
" 15" x 7" Bathurst Globe alloy wheels with locking wheel nuts (XB RPO)
" ER70H15 Textile radials (XB RPO)
" New tyre placard
" Interior trim style Black vinyl only. Trim code B - Black/Blue woollen cloth seat trim striped to match exterior paint/stripe treatment (blackwood style Onkaparinga cloth) using existing seat trim style (variation for Bathurst units)
" Cobra name decal mounted on boot lid ('Falcon' badge above RH tail light)
" Cobra snake decal fender mounted
" Die-cast plinth carrying Cobra name decal mounted on glove box door. Plinth identical to that used with the Ride and Handling badge. The Cobra name decal for the glove box door is sequentially numbered between 001 and 400.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:18 AM   #195
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by UU TS50
Will be great to see this back on the road as its hasnt been there since about 1997
And we will most definitely be going for a drive
Old 12-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #196
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Hi Paull. Regarding your front tyre clearance issue, have another look when the engine is in and the car is on the ground. You will find that the top balljoint will pull away slightly from the sidewall once the vehicle is weighted.

What size tyre are you running on the front? Anything bigger than a 235 may be the issue.

I've got 16x8 Simmons with 4+1/2" backspace. The outer balljoint flange is in line with the inside rim of the wheel. Up on stands when I rotate the wheel the wheel weight will catch on the balljoint flange. It doesn't touch when the car is on the ground although it is very close. There is no scraping on the inside of my front rims so it just clears.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #197
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Please don't put retreads on this car, or are they just to roll it around on?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #198
Carrie On

looks fantastic! give a jelly fish a horn.
Carrie On is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #199
MEANXBCOUPE
injection is nice, but...

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing the Helicoil article 

as far as im aware, wheel spacers are not legal in NSW ,(i know your in WA) unless they are screwed to the wheel hub, the wheel boss engages as per factory and the original amount of wheel stud is still able to be used, ie longer wheel studs are needed and track is not increased by more than an inch over factory.
I believe the intention is to make it impossible to install a wheel without a spacer where one is required, ie to clear suspension.

Also, i think i remember hearing that all XY owners who were given the original globes for their HO's, were also supplied with spacers. Anyone know if this is correct? if it is, it could be argued to your rego people, that it is a factory spacer.....

Just some thoughts.

Love your build too, some excellent work going on.

Limetime Green '74 XB Coupe- Classic not Plastic.

Blueprint '02 Pursuit 250- Plastic not Classic (yet)

Venom '01 AUII Rebel- RIP. Gone to a better place.

Winter White '12 FG GT 335 R-Spec - something the wife thrashes daily

'05 CRF450X- For getting dirty in the, um, dirt.
MEANXBCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #200
74xbkoop
74xbkoop

Looking FANTASTIC!!!! cant wait to see pictures of it finished. Well done on the build.
74xbkoop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 12:33 AM   #201
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Hi Paull. Regarding your front tyre clearance issue, have another look when the engine is in and the car is on the ground. You will find that the top balljoint will pull away slightly from the sidewall once the vehicle is weighted.

What size tyre are you running on the front? Anything bigger than a 235 may be the issue.

I've got 16x8 Simmons with 4+1/2" backspace. The outer balljoint flange is in line with the inside rim of the wheel. Up on stands when I rotate the wheel the wheel weight will catch on the balljoint flange. It doesn't touch when the car is on the ground although it is very close. There is no scraping on the inside of my front rims so it just clears.
On the 15x7's, I have 245's. The wider tyres (on the 15x8's & 15x10's) are 265's and 295's respectively

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Please don't put retreads on this car, or are they just to roll it around on?
I am not quite with you Stefan? The rims and tyres that were on before were just crappy old things. However, now I have Yokohama 352's on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANXBCOUPE
as far as im aware, wheel spacers are not legal in NSW ,(i know your in WA) unless they are screwed to the wheel hub, the wheel boss engages as per factory and the original amount of wheel stud is still able to be used, ie longer wheel studs are needed and track is not increased by more than an inch over factory.
I believe the intention is to make it impossible to install a wheel without a spacer where one is required, ie to clear suspension.

Also, i think i remember hearing that all XY owners who were given the original globes for their HO's, were also supplied with spacers. Anyone know if this is correct? if it is, it could be argued to your rego people, that it is a factory spacer.....

Just some thoughts.

Love your build too, some excellent work going on.
It would certainly make sense having them bolted on and extended studs. Hopefully I will not have to go down this track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie On
looks fantastic! give a jelly fish a horn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74xbkoop
Looking FANTASTIC!!!! cant wait to see pictures of it finished. Well done on the build.
Thank you both. I am assembling the engine now and hope to be finished by the weekend.
Old 13-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #202
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am not quite with you Stefan? The rims and tyres that were on before were just crappy old things. However, now I have Yokohama 352's on.
I didn't think you'd put retreads on this car, BUT I think them someone has ripped you off, the tyres in the picture I quoted are retreaded Yokohamas.
Old 13-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #203
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
I didn't think you'd put retreads on this car, BUT I think them someone has ripped you off, the tyres in the picture I quoted are retreaded Yokohamas.
What makes you say that they are retreads?
Old 13-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #204
WAXBFAR

Quote:
Some more progress

This picture might be the one regarding the retread remark.
WAXBFAR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #205
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah that picture, but maybe they are the old tyres...if so sorry my mistake..

Car looks awsome by the way.... I would love a Cobra to go with the Cobra....
Old 13-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #206
Paull
P6 LTD

The tyres were bought new in about 2003/2004 from my local tyre supplier. I would have to find the receipt to see what the cost was, but they were not cheap. At the same time, I also asked for the 2x265 & 2x295 tyres, of which I had to wait 3 months to get: they had to make them (in Japan) and then send them out. Lastly, I bought 4 new 245 Yokohama's from Bob Jane T marts (circa 2001) for my ZH Fairlane that I had at the time.

All of these tyres (I have just checked - I still have the 245's from the ZH) all have the same ribbing along the upper side wall of the tyre??????

AS far as I am aware, they are all new and not retreads. At any rate, it is far too late to make a claim but what I will do is to take a few pics and send them off with a query to the Yokohama Technical department and see if I can get an answer.

Anyways, the short motor is almost assembled but as I am doing the XD 351 as well, I am not progressing too fast. Will post up more pics on the weekend.
Old 13-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #207
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be interested to know how you get on Paull. If I'm wrong I'll make sure I give myself an uppercut on your behalf.

Once again she looks a million dollars....
Old 13-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #208
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Paull]The tyres were bought new in about 2003/2004 from my local tyre supplier. I would have to find the receipt to see what the cost was, but they were not cheap. At the same time, I also asked for the 2x265 & 2x295 tyres, of which I had to wait 3 months to get: they had to make them (in Japan) and then send them out. Lastly, I bought 4 new 245 Yokohama's from Bob Jane T marts (circa 2001) for my ZH Fairlane that I had at the time.

All of these tyres (I have just checked - I still have the 245's from the ZH) all have the same ribbing along the upper side wall of the tyre??????

Hey Paul, you know tyres life spans are only recommended for 7 years?
I would hate to see one let go and damage your baby!
Car is coming along real well, inspiration for me to do mine!
If you ever want to go on a coupe cruise, let me know.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #209
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just read this thread for the first time.
Bloody awesome.
Imagine having your very own brand new Cobra. Of course you wont have to imagine Paull, because you'll be living the dream.
Old 17-10-2011, 02:14 AM   #210
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
Hey Paul, you know tyres life spans are only recommended for 7 years? I would hate to see one let go and damage your baby!
Car is coming along real well, inspiration for me to do mine!
If you ever want to go on a coupe cruise, let me know.
The whole time all of the tyres have been double wrapped in black plastic bags. The only time they came out was when the tyres were put onto the rims and then straight back in again.

I am not knowing if age alone will perish the tyres??? I know that they will suffer quite badly from UV, that is, being left out in the sun.