Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-12-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default LAST HULK FRIDAY 2014: is FGX the Falcosaurus?

Now that the FGX falcon has been revealed is it enough to send off the ford falcon ? Will it be remembered as the Falcosaurus? Brutal performance in a bare bones package?

We know the xr6t and xr8 offer brutal performance but it's also unchanged from fg... (GT / xr6t / xt)

The FGX is a pretty decent looking car but isn't it just a fg in a new frock? The interior looks pretty much the same as fg

It seems that FGX is more about value for money rather than anything new to chew on. Obviously the xr8 is a cracker of a car for the money but it's just really all the leftover GT bits from fg at a bargain price.

Many of the reviews say its a cracking car for the money but it's low on gadgets and modern comforts that other car makers boast about.

I've even read the term Falcosaurus a few times. It's almost like the FGX falcon is a muscle car, big performance and bare bones equipment (relative to other new cars).

Has the falcon always been behind on technology? Is the last car actually consistent with the flavour of the falcon of years past? Big rugged powerful car, spacious, good value, reliable but nothing innovative or revolutionary?

Is the term Falcosaurus appropriate?

Old 18-12-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: LAST HULK FRIDAY 2014: is FGX the Falcosaurus?

I like it.

And I'll remember it as the last Aussie Falcon, nothing more, nothing less.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
Itsme
Experienced Member

Well I will bite on this one, did you actually think it was going to be a completely new revamped model?
I think FGX designation tells the story.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Another **** stirring thread

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 18-12-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The XR8 has delivered a knock out punch in the bang for buck department that is unlikely to be matched ever again.

It might be because FPV shut up shop but I doubt anybody would complain about getting pretty much a GT for XR8 price.

Only the the sales figures will tell, but surely they could only go up. The question is by how much.
Old 18-12-2014, 11:45 PM   #6
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Hulk , you got it in one.

But raw power is nice. And as you know we can never have to much of that....

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
Old 19-12-2014, 12:00 AM   #7
LightningStrike

I'm just glad it's here at all.

Winter White AUII eGas 1 Tonner Goooone!

Winter White SY Ghia AWD 6spd Injected Gas
Mazda 3 SP25GT
==========================
This user likes this post:
Old 19-12-2014, 12:13 AM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The only time I've seen it called "Falcosaurus" on AFF is when you have said it so you can stop with the BS.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
4 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
The only time I've seen it called "Falcosaurus" on AFF is when you have said it so you can stop with the BS.
Fordzilla Falcosaurus
2 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2014, 12:19 AM   #10
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
We know the xr6t and xr8 offer brutal performance but it's also unchanged from fg... (GT / xr6t / xt)
Will it be remembered as the Falcosaurus? Brutal performance in a bare bones package?
Yep no changes and all bones...

As part of the upgrades across the Falcon range, Ford has responded to feedback and added new customer-focused content:
 Emergency Assistance (all models)
 Front and rear parking sensors (all sedan models)
 Rear reversing camera (all sedan models)
 Rain-sensing wipers (G6E, XR series)
 SYNC2 with 8’’ integrated colour touch screen (all models)
 Voice control system developed in partnership with Nuance (all models)
 Digital Radio (DAB+) (all models)
 Dual antenna system (all models)
 Wi Fi hot spot (all models)
 New alloys (all models

• New front fascia featuring the Ford signature trapezoidal grille moved high up on the front end with chrome detailing on the outer bezel and bars (G6E)
• New headlamps
• Unique G6E fog lamp bezels
• Distinctive ‘laser-cut’ slim headlamps featuring technical graphics and finishes as well as unique signature lighting for G6E models
• All new rear fascia with split tail lamps featuring LED technology and new sculpted deck lid with integrated rear spoiler
• New 16-inch alloy wheels on Falcon as standard
• New 18-inch alloy wheels on Falcon G6E as standard
• New exterior colour: Fine Alloy option for G6E

Rear Camera with Overlays
A reversing camera is now standard on all Falcon sedans

Key contributors to the fuel efficiency improvements are aero gains and a new, lighter and more fuel efficient six-speed ZF automatic transmission, which has been adopted on I6 petrol models, including the EcoLPi.
Apart from the new aero pack, Australia’s ultimate entry Falcon sedan model also benefits from 16-inch Michelin low rolling-resistance tyres.
The aerodynamic pack from the Falcon EcoBoost has now been adopted across the entire Falcon sedan range, except XR8. New front and rear bumper designs also contribute to improved aerodynamic performance.
As well as the fuel efficiency improvements, the Falcon suspension has been harmonised across models, to provide the driver with a more connected, sportier driving experience without compromising ride comfort.
The Falcon gains a modified FG MkII G6 petrol suspension package and the Falcon EcoLPi gains the XR6 EcoLPi suspension package. Compared to the current entry Falcon FG MkII this means:
 Larger diameter front stabiliser bar, from 31 mm to 32 mm
 Retuned front and rear springs and dampers
 Front suspension geometry adjusted to complement new Michelin tyre

Quote:
The FGX is a pretty decent looking car but isn't it just a fg in a new frock? The interior looks pretty much the same as fg
Didn't you just ask that?...Do you actually read anything here other than your own ill informed threads?

Quote:
Obviously the xr8 is a cracker of a car for the money but it's just really all the leftover GT bits from fg at a bargain price.
Thanks Captain obvious.

Quote:
Many of the reviews say its a cracking car for the money but it's low on gadgets and modern comforts that other car makers boast about
Many of the reviewers wouldn't know if they were Arthur or Martha.

Quote:
It's almost like the FGX falcon is a muscle car, big performance and bare bones equipment (relative to other new cars).
Arthur and Martha say this on many reviews, drive one and find out.

Quote:
Has the falcon always been behind on technology?
What exactly is it behind on...lack of push-rods?

All Falcon models are also fitted with an 8" colour touch screen, a traditional HMI button interface and voice control to access systems such as:
• Entertainment system controls
• Climate control settings
• Phone information
• Satellite navigation with Traffic Message Channel (standard G6E, XR8)^
SYNC2 offers multiple audio options including:
 Radio DAB+, FM, FMAS, AM & AMAS
 Audio files/music streaming from compatible smartphones via USB or Bluetooth®*
 Audio files from connected USB devices including memory sticks, flash drives, external self-powered hard drives
 SD card slot: Play and browse audio files from SD cards (note: SD slot in Titanium is used for Satellite Navigation software)
 CD/MP3/WMA: Play and browse the contents of an MP3/WMA CD or CD
 Auxiliary input: Play audio from a connected MP3/other audio devices
iPhone and iPod Integration
There is a fully integrated interface between the iPod unit and the vehicle’s audio system on all Falcon models.
It allows the user to control the iPod player through SYNC2, HMI buttons or steering wheel mounted buttons and through voice control.

And lets not forget: 5-Star Crash Safety Score

Quote:
I've even read the term Falcosaurus a few times. It's almost like the FGX falcon is a muscle car, big performance and bare bones equipment (relative to other new cars)
If EcoLPi and EcoBoost are muscle car engines?

Quote:
It just may be in time? So best to not buy one in case this happens, can't have everyone looking down and judging you.
Old 19-12-2014, 05:53 AM   #11
Lunch
Wait, what?

I guess some fish bite harder than others
Old 19-12-2014, 07:35 AM   #12
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Each to their own. That's what the new car market is all about - CHOICE.

If you don't like it, walk away, and let someone else enjoy their new FGX.

I'm sick of seeing all the posts saying "VF SS does this" and "Euros do that" when comparing the FGX - how many of those keyboard critics have actually gone out & bought one of the cars that they bagged out the FGX against? How many have even taken a test drive of one? How many of these critics are even in a position to buy one? I'm guessing very few.

It's all too easy to bag out a car when you're not in the market for a new one.

Me personally, Ford got it pretty right with the FG. The FGX is even better. Sure, there are some issues, but no car is perfect for everybody. It's all about the minimum of compromises, and what YOU are happy with. The technology the FGX has is more than enough for me.

I may never own a Miami, but Ford have got some good bread'n'butter options in the FGX range, and IMO the 4.0L is more than a match to the V6 Commodore, and I actually prefer it's power & torque delivery. The economy savings, with no loss of power & torque in LPi seals the deal - it's miles ahead of any other large car engine, and on-par with real $ diesel economy.

The XR8 may be the hero in the FGX line-up, but not everyone wants an XR8 either.
The rest of the FGX range has other options for the vast majority of the population who couldn't care less about a performance car, and have other priorities like running costs. For years the Falcon's traditional market was fleet sales. Very few fleets would allow a Miami, but for those who have some choice, it's easy to win over a fleet manager with the real data on the LPi & Ecoboost economy advantages.

If I did <5000km/year like my wife, I'd seriously consider an XR8. But 40,000km a year is what I do, as well as some heavy towing on weekends and in holidays.
Being realistic, the LPi is the best choice for me - more than enough grunt to tow, and the running costs of a corolla. There are really no compromises with it, but there will always be detractors saying "oh the boot is too small now" and other crap - but live with one in the real world and that "reason" is something that is meaningless in reality.

I think Ford have done a fantastic job with the FGX, and if people took a proper, objective look at it, instead of being quick to jump on the bandwagon & run it down, then maybe Ford Australia wouldn't be in the position they are now.
Old 19-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #13
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Wait a tick.
So this is the last Hulk thread for 2014?
It really is Christmas!
Old 19-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #14
HULK_I6T
Banned

Comment made about the FGx XR8 in a review.

"Perhaps its biggest boon, however, is value. Although it breaks Falcon ranks by being pricier than the model it replaces and lacks the refinement and technology of its direct Holden competitor, the XR8 delivers FPV and HSV performance for the same price as Holden's top-shelf Commodore SS."

So it brings about the brutal performance of the GT but lags behind in refinement and technology.. It depends if buyers value brutal performance or gizmos - comfort/refinement.

Im not bagging the car out as I value its performance, dont really need all the tech stuff myself, but gotta concede its the falcosaurus amongst other cars available for purchase.
Old 19-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #15
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

You cant own one, cause you cant fit a superior centri blower

Falcosaurus, what your smoking i want some.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 19-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #16
Ibanezteve
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I could afford one I'd buy one... Today.
The left overs theory is very reminiscent of the old "phase 4" cars, and they are worth a lot of coin these days!
Old 19-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #17
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In this day and age does it really offer Brutal performance? when many 'lesser' cars offer similar performance at less money or even cheap second hand saloons for much less money offering similar 'fast' acceleration.

I have no doubt its a great car for the value, but Brutal is not a word that comes to mind when describing an Australian family saloon car, especially in 2014.

Brutal is an adjective id apply to todays hypercars and race cars, not mass produced road cars.
Hell even the new range rover is claimed to match the FGX 0-100.

JP
Old 19-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #18
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
In this day and age does it really offer Brutal performance? when many 'lesser' cars offer similar performance at less money or even cheap second hand saloons for much less money offering similar 'fast' acceleration.

I have no doubt its a great car for the value, but Brutal is not a word that comes to mind when describing an Australian family saloon car, especially in 2014.

Brutal is an adjective id apply to todays hypercars and race cars, not mass produced road cars.
Hell even the new range rover is claimed to match the FGX 0-100.

JP

Ford FGX XR8 = Fast
Hellcat Challenger/charger = Brutal
Veyron/P1/918 = Hyper

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
Old 19-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #19
Vanish335

The talk is strong .blue blood brothers .at one stage in life I owned a xa gt pro 83 loved it .now ford give us a chance .once again to have a run out tuff part car it's the ford FGX xr8 love it or leave . I feel that this being the last grunt falcon ever .that the FGX xr8 will hold strong with true blue blood. Not being a gt gives day to day blokes a chance to experience one last muscle machine .
4 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #20
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcosaurus hulkasaurus - one is the last, the other saurus - meh - possibly should be extinct.

However, brutal is not a word that comes to mind in regard to the xr8 power wise - *********exhilerating is the word that comes to mind.
Old 19-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #21
HULK_I6T
Banned

For a $55-60k car that has a full manufacturers warranty and offers 300+rwkw? and it carries 5 people, the performance is brutal.. they had to cut somewhere... the tech stuff.

A few years back, After market performance shops were throwing all their tricks at the older falcodores to get performance anywhere near that. Then it would result in a car with no warranty, stinkin of fuel and hardly roadworthy
Old 19-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #22
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

You do know there's one Friday left in 2014?????

They havent taken anything out tech wise you know. It still has aircon and a radio....

#Brightsparkawardforever
Old 19-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #23
Vanish335

So true. Chew on the last post negative people .Vanish xr8 orderd in build
Old 19-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #24
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I drove one and wouldn't describe it as brutal. It drove nice' torquey and the blower whined. Not sure if I liked that or not

Brutal is turning the Tyres at 100 ks in third gear

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 19-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #25
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Each to their own. That's what the new car market is all about - CHOICE.

If you don't like it, walk away, and let someone else enjoy their new FGX.

I'm sick of seeing all the posts saying "VF SS does this" and "Euros do that" when comparing the FGX - how many of those keyboard critics have actually gone out & bought one of the cars that they bagged out the FGX against? How many have even taken a test drive of one? How many of these critics are even in a position to buy one? I'm guessing very few.

It's all too easy to bag out a car when you're not in the market for a new one.

Me personally, Ford got it pretty right with the FG. The FGX is even better. Sure, there are some issues, but no car is perfect for everybody. It's all about the minimum of compromises, and what YOU are happy with. The technology the FGX has is more than enough for me.

I may never own a Miami, but Ford have got some good bread'n'butter options in the FGX range, and IMO the 4.0L is more than a match to the V6 Commodore, and I actually prefer it's power & torque delivery. The economy savings, with no loss of power & torque in LPi seals the deal - it's miles ahead of any other large car engine, and on-par with real $ diesel economy.

The XR8 may be the hero in the FGX line-up, but not everyone wants an XR8 either.
The rest of the FGX range has other options for the vast majority of the population who couldn't care less about a performance car, and have other priorities like running costs. For years the Falcon's traditional market was fleet sales. Very few fleets would allow a Miami, but for those who have some choice, it's easy to win over a fleet manager with the real data on the LPi & Ecoboost economy advantages.

If I did <5000km/year like my wife, I'd seriously consider an XR8. But 40,000km a year is what I do, as well as some heavy towing on weekends and in holidays.
Being realistic, the LPi is the best choice for me - more than enough grunt to tow, and the running costs of a corolla. There are really no compromises with it, but there will always be detractors saying "oh the boot is too small now" and other crap - but live with one in the real world and that "reason" is something that is meaningless in reality.

I think Ford have done a fantastic job with the FGX, and if people took a proper, objective look at it, instead of being quick to jump on the bandwagon & run it down, then maybe Ford Australia wouldn't be in the position they are now.

I think it's just the opposite. Once you take the V8 out of the equation and people are looking for a family 6cyl car. Drive the ford and commodore back to back and unfortunatly there is quite a difference

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 19-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Now that the FGX falcon has been revealed is it enough to send off the ford falcon ? Will it be remembered as the Falcosaurus? Brutal performance in a bare bones package?

It seems that FGX is more about value for money rather than anything new to chew on. Obviously the xr8 is a cracker of a car for the money but it's just really all the leftover GT bits from fg at a bargain price.

Many of the reviews say its a cracking car for the money but it's low on gadgets and modern comforts that other car makers boast about.

I've even read the term Falcosaurus a few times. It's almost like the FGX falcon is a muscle car, big performance and bare bones equipment (relative to other new cars).

Has the falcon always been behind on technology? Is the last car actually consistent with the flavour of the falcon of years past? Big rugged powerful car, spacious, good value, reliable but nothing innovative or revolutionary?

The troll is strong with this one !
2 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #27
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
For a $55-60k car that has a full manufacturers warranty and offers 300+rwkw? and it carries 5 people, the performance is brutal.. they had to cut somewhere... the tech stuff.
What tech stuff is it missing that you want?
Old 19-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #28
chriso89

Went to have a look at an fgx xr8 today no one has any on the floor, and I'm told limited numbers.
does anyone know if they will still be building them late next year or are they just a limited stock deal.
when they anounced the xr8 re-joining the line up I thought it was a permanent model?

Can someone clarify this as I really want one and was waiting till late next year but id they are limited I may need to make a move soon.
Vertini magic Concaves 19x8.5 fronts 19x9.5 rears.
PW S1 cooler kit, Plazmaman T/Side intake+Battery Relocate, 4" Exhaust, Injectors, V-Springs, eBoost2, custom tune + ZF Tune.
-------------------------
-PREVIOUS-
N/A 2010 FG XR6 ute in EGO.
Atomic Stage 4 Cams + Valve Springs.
Full XFORCE 2.5" Exhaust.
Full Custom Tune - 167.2 RWKW
Old 19-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #29
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
I drove one and wouldn't describe it as brutal. It drove nice' torquey and the blower whined. Not sure if I liked that or not

Brutal is turning the Tyres at 100 ks in third gear
Does turning the tyres in 4th at 100 count?
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
Old 19-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #30
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
Does turning the tyres in 4th at 100 count?
Speaking from experience?

The manual one I drove had traction control looking like a strobe light in 3rd from 70 to 100.
It also went through a roundabout almost from a stop in 4th. Love that torque.
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread