Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 08-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
manchu

Default MC mondeo headlight change...again

The front left headlight has gone on my MC mondeo. 2nd time in ~1yr.

The parking light has also gone, but that might have been out for a long time.

Wondering if it's just bad luck or whether there might be some other issue causing the failures?

I've had a couple of low battery warnings over recent months which I think was due to some interior lights being left on (damn kids). Would battery issues cause globe failure?

Also, I'd love to hear any tips for making the globe change easier. It's a real PITA from recollection.
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Re: MC mondeo headlight change...again

6 months is doing well out of a globe in most cases.

Have they been replaced with a "performance style" globe with a thinner filament? Or still using the factory spec long/life globes?

Also is using auto lights on ... and starting can cause premature globe failure (where the lights come-on prior to starting the car ... the feedback through the electrical system isn't the greatest for globes.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #3
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make sure you use quality globe
What are the roads like where you live left side of vehicle gets shaken more on country roads
Is the globe holder and lamp mounting O.K.
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
manchu

I can't recall which globe. nothing too fancy but nothing too cheap either. Bought from autobarn.

Yes I use auto headlights.

Fairly sure I got the globe holder and lamp mounting correct when I changed last time. It took long enough so I sure hope so. Was careful not to touch the globe glass too.

Nothing bad about the roads I usually drive.

thanks
Old 08-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I found when using auto headlights that cranking would be one of the killers of globes ... especially in Falcons ... so i stopped using it in the end.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #6
bundybear75

Second time in 6 months?

I replaced a globe Monday week ago on my way to work (at 4am, a "Repco" branded globe from the Shell servo when I fuelled up).

2 days later - Low beam fault warning and the same globe out GRRRR!!! A few minutes later, globe starts working again and all good.

Next morning, same again.

I am yet to replace it again, I don't think of it during the daylight, and haven't had the urge after dark. I do around 250km a day, at least half in the dark so I should probably do it before it fails completely....
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2019, 06:15 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

I replaced the globes in my territory when I bought it, as one looked different to the other in colour. Turns out it wasn't the globes but that's another story. I replaced with Phillips long life h7 as i thought that was the oem brand. Turns out oem is osram. The Phillips lasted only a few months before both went. I changed to osram (available from supercheap) and so far so good.

I always recommend oem globes.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #8
Mondaveo

I've always thought it was the switching on and off that causes (filament) bulbs to fail, as it stresses the filament... the bulbs will actually last longer left burning if it means you avoid a lot of switching. At least it seems that way anecdotally with household lights, that when they blow is invariably upon being switched (incandescent/halogen and also CFL - I'm happy my LED bulbs seem more robust).

If autolights is causing excessive switching on and off of the lights - particularly during cranking, say because you start the car in a garage - then that to my mind could be a contributor - not that I have hard proof.

I leave autolights off.

As for interior lights, I thought all Mondeos had a timer that turned them off (even if the switch position is on) after a short period? It does in mine (and the period seems much too short to me...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2019, 01:20 PM   #9
cyclone1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post

As for interior lights, I thought all Mondeos had a timer that turned them off (even if the switch position is on) after a short period? It does in mine (and the period seems much too short to me...).

That is correct. Just did a test in mine and they turn off after around 15 minutes. Same goes for the light in the hatch area.

Also bulbs suffer their most stress during turn on and turn off. That is why most incandescent bulb house lights fail at those times.

My Mondeo has run auto lights since day 1 (almost 6 years ago) with no issue (touch wood).
Old 15-05-2019, 08:57 AM   #10
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
I've been wondering that too after I tried to start the mondeo yesterday and the battery was dead.

Kids play with the lights so I'm never sure what status the switch is left in, and I've got into the bad habit of not locking my car. I suspect interior lights might have stayed on if Switch On + unlocked. Car never sits for more than 2 days usually, but this time it was 4 days so maybe enough to drain the battery.

I know for sure that boot light stays on if boot is open. I had a bingle recently and boot wouldn't latch so light was stuck on.

anyway..time for another post about new battery
Old 22-05-2019, 07:48 AM   #11
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post
Second time in 6 months?

I replaced a globe Monday week ago on my way to work (at 4am, a "Repco" branded globe from the Shell servo when I fuelled up).

2 days later - Low beam fault warning and the same globe out GRRRR!!! A few minutes later, globe starts working again and all good.

Next morning, same again.

I am yet to replace it again, I don't think of it during the daylight, and haven't had the urge after dark. I do around 250km a day, at least half in the dark so I should probably do it before it fails completely....
I finally got around to replacing the "faulty" headlight globe last weekend, only to find that I still have an issue with that side low beam intermittently not working. Plugs look OK so now I'm thinking dodgy relay.

Ford in their wisdom decided to NOT label the relays in either the fuse box or the owners manual. Fuses are listed, just not the relays. Makes this sort of trouble shooting hard.

Does anyone have a diagram that points to what relay is what? The Ford Wiki one doesn't show the light relays
2002 BMW R1150GS
Old 25-05-2019, 06:30 AM   #12
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt it's the relay as it would affect both lights, unless there are separate relays. I'd put my money on the bulb socket - they seem a bit flimsy to me.
Old 25-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #13
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Without having actually seen I'd say the BCM or GEM under the glovebox is where the headlamp current is switched. Not by relays but by solid state device (MOSFET?), not serviceable. The headlight switch module on the dash connects to the GEM via digital (LIN) bus, and is also a potetential failure point.

But I'd also put my money somewhere on the headlamp unit connections. When the fault is on maybe try thumping or wiggling stuff.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #14
Pawn
Starter Motor

For mine it was not paying attention when changing a globe and got one of the wires jammed in the cover without noticing. After a few months with the motorised headlights it broke the wire and would then only work intermittently (or when turing left!)
Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2019, 07:52 PM   #15
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post
I finally got around to replacing the "faulty" headlight globe last weekend, only to find that I still have an issue with that side low beam intermittently not working. Plugs look OK so now I'm thinking dodgy relay.

Ford in their wisdom decided to NOT label the relays in either the fuse box or the owners manual. Fuses are listed, just not the relays. Makes this sort of trouble shooting hard.

Does anyone have a diagram that points to what relay is what? The Ford Wiki one doesn't show the light relays
I serviced it on the weekend, and pulled the headlight out again to investigate.

All looked OK but I tightened the plug a bit by squeezing closed the contacts a little.

I also looked at the under glovebox fuse tray (GEM?) and wiggled and checked the plugs there as the problems started not long after changing the cabin filter last service.

So far, so good. Mind you, Low Beam Fault warning that same evening which turned out to be the opposite globe blown .

Trap for young players though - when I tightened the contacts, I pushed the lamp tight into the plug then installed it into the headlight. I never noticed that it sat back a little from the mounting surface and the light pool was almost straight down. I discovered this at 10pm and -3 degrees before my 120km commute home from work. Out in the cold, removing the headlight again to fix before driving home.....
2002 BMW R1150GS