Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Default Central locking actuator repair

Hi Guys,

Need to replace one of my central locking motors, and found a repair kit for around $45.

It's pretty easy to do, but I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these kits - ie quality etc, or are there different/better kits out there?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-AU-BA-BF...item2ea890dda6

Thanks,

Justin.

private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

$57 to your door
i bought an already reco'd one for $77
so they mustn't be too hard to do
Old 20-10-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
stoodoo
Falcon R.I.P. 1960 - 2016

I bought one of those exact kits last week, it'll take you around an extra 5 minutes to finish, above that of the $20 dearer reco'ed unit. If your not confident unscrewing 4 screws and pulling out the gear drive and motor, as well as unclipping and clipping the wires on the 12 volt motors...... or if you couldn't be bothered with the extra effort, then go for the reco unit, otherwise save yourself the $20. On my cars faulty actuator, the 12volt motor was kaput, and the plastic main gear was still ok. So I only replaced the motor. If a main gear breaks in any of my actuators, I'll have this spare, though touch wood I never have problems again.

Cheers
stoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
all4fordau

I used 1 of these kits a couple of months ago and it is easy to do and works fine with no dramas. If you have the mechanical ability and a small amount of time of approx 1.5 to 2 hours you should not have any dramas
all4fordau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
stoodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4fordau
I used 1 of these kits a couple of months ago and it is easy to do and works fine with no dramas. If you have the mechanical ability and a small amount of time of approx 1.5 to 2 hours you should not have any dramas

1.5 to 2 hours !!!! As long as you have the tools to complete this, I couldn't imagine this job would take you any longer than 45 minutes or so.
Old 21-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
all4fordau

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoodoo
1.5 to 2 hours !!!! As long as you have the tools to complete this, I couldn't imagine this job would take you any longer than 45 minutes or so.
I was merely implying that anyone with a basic mechanical knowledge and a desire to do the work themselves could easily sort it out using this kit, by taking their time and learning as they go, as I did. I am no genius when it comes to stuff like this, and i did it in this amount if time. I am sorry if I dont measure up to your genius abilities, but was merely offering my own experiences and not trying to declare how good i am at this type of stuff.
all4fordau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 12:21 AM   #7
stoodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4fordau
I was merely implying that anyone with a basic mechanical knowledge and a desire to do the work themselves could easily sort it out using this kit, by taking their time and learning as they go, as I did. I am no genius when it comes to stuff like this, and i did it in this amount if time. I am sorry if I dont measure up to your genius abilities, but was merely offering my own experiences and not trying to declare how good i am at this type of stuff.
I apologise if my reply offended you, I wasn't trying to have a go at you, people can take all day to do this repair if they want. I was just a little concerned that your time frame for completing this job may have put some people off doing this themselves.

Cheers
Old 22-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

its not a hard job to pull them apart. but we have had people bring them into us in bags unable to put it back together.
we sell change over units for $65 with warranty.
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
muzz

Our AU had two failed actuators, one with the worm gear broken, the other with the travel slide thingo broken.

I successfully used two of these kits to fix them and they were delivered quickly. The replacement worm gear seems thicker than the original too.
muzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz
Our AU had two failed actuators, one with the worm gear broken, the other with the travel slide thingo broken.

I successfully used two of these kits to fix them and they were delivered quickly. The replacement worm gear seems thicker than the original too.
I've found tat AU2/3 worm gears are thicker than the AU1 ones. doesn't stop them snapping though - but they last a bit longer before they do snap.
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Help guide

You can find a how to remove the door trim here.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...article&id=364

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #12
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Thanks for all the advice guys. Yeah, I've repaired a few before as I've had spares, but I just wanted to get feedback on this particular kit.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post