Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default new victorian roadworthy laws

when getting a road worthy the place has to take photos of your car, engine bay,speedo, interior,profile, front and rear and store them for 7 years.

roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Default Re: new victorian roadworthy laws

Where did this come from? Cant see the point seeing that an RWC only lasts 30 days and after that the RW bloke wipes his hands of it ...... well actually the second it leaves his drive way.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Where did this come from? Cant see the point seeing that an RWC only lasts 30 days and after that the RW bloke wipes his hands of it ...... well actually the second it leaves his drive way.
not really there is a paper trail, and if you roadworthy a car and the new buyer has a major accident due to mechanical problem or is even pulled over its traced easily enough
Old 29-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A link would be good... or where you read it please

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my foreman just did a course with vic roads and this is the outcome, more along the lines of that engine is different, that ride height isnt legal, keeping track of km's, re birthing cars. basically if vic roads or the police want to see what the car looked like at roadworthy then they have pictures to see whos lying if its the workshop then they will loose there license. The risk for tick and flick road worthies just went up about 200%
Old 29-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i dont have a link, i dont know if the public will be told one of those tell the guys that do them so the fear will regulate its self, we are a dealer and they breath down your neck
Old 29-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
Kryton

Really another case of knowing what your talking about before you post it everywhere.
What your more than likely referring to is Vehicle Identification Validation - VIV's.
You only need a VIV if your are putting a Repairable Write Off back on the road.
The VIV inspector takes all the details and pictures and they are sent off and stored.
This is NOT a RWC inspection and is not usually done by a RWC inspector either.
You can only use approved inspectors to sign off on a VIV.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Really another case of knowing what your talking about before you post it everywhere.
What your more than likely referring to is Vehicle Identification Validation - VIV's.
You only need a VIV if your are putting a Repairable Write Off back on the road.
The VIV inspector takes all the details and pictures and they are sent off and stored.
This is NOT a RWC inspection and is not usually done by a RWC inspector either.
You can only use approved inspectors to sign off on a VIV.
read my post where I say my foreman just got back from course with vic roads thats the foreman of a car dealership workshop and this is the outcome, I know what a RWC i have been dealing with them every day for the last 8 years. This is a new rule just come out.

Really another case of reading what was said before you post your opinion
Old 29-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cant see how it would help with anything really.... A roadworthy is only good for the point of sale. If it crashes a few yrs later who is gonna care?

Also a photo will still be hard to use as proof that the car in picture is in fact the car in the paper work

Seems like a pointless exersize.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Cant see how it would help with anything really.... A roadworthy is only good for the point of sale. If it crashes a few yrs later who is gonna care?

Also a photo will still be hard to use as proof that the car in picture is in fact the car in the paper work

Seems like a pointless exersize.
thats true 7 years seems like a long time but government likes records to audit businesses, but the dodgy roadworthies are the ones they are chasing with this, say you know a mate with a roady license so you take in your drag car he does it for a slab, you sell it to the next guy who does 1000hp skids and kills 3 people down the street he says to the cops I thought i was all legal I brought it that way, everyone gets done. This is the extream but wouldnt be the first time a law has come in to be used for minor things.
Old 29-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #11
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

C'mon ..... no need for the hostility. It is just a discussion on a converstion.

RWC's are done for things like brakes, windscreen, seatbelts, seats, lights, indicators, leaks, rust etc .... and of course numbers etc and the total structure.

All these things are 'at the moment' items and can change the second they are out of the driveway and having so much detail .... apart from a VIV which I understand .... seems to be a little extreme.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #12
Kryton

I did read it and i still dont believe second hand information from an unreliable source.
I DO know what im talking about as well.

Just because some 'foreman' said, doesnt make it so.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #13
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

It photographic evidence a vehicle was in said state at the time of the rwc being written up.
If a car is dropped on it guts with 22s people could put factory suspension and rims back on Get rwc. Soon as it us done revert back to illegal height and rims. Few days later car is in accident say fatality. Sate of car proven to be cause of accident. Owner says "but I had rwc 2 days ago." It then become a matter of he said she said between owner and Rwc inspector. Photos prove who is right!

Carsales, carsguide etc also have to keep vehicle images from ads for 7 years for similar reasons. People tell lies! Photos don't
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #14
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in SA they take pics of your car side, interior, engine bay shots for historic / club rego.. along the lines of keeping those cars fairly stock and you not ripping off govco around $800yr.....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 12:13 AM   #15
AGRO
KB TECH SUPPORT

I heard of this a few months back that they were bringing it in.
It's to stop as said above, the dodgy RWC being issued. I'm pretty sure it's come about because people have brought cars that have been accompanied by a dodgy RWC, and in the months to follow, 'said car' is in an unsafe condition to drive due to defect. If you buy a car and it has say 50,000klms on the speedo, then 3000klms or so into ownership a ball joint or steering breaks, or the seat pulls out of the floor due to rust, it's fair to say a dodgy RWC was issued with the car when you brought it. At least this way, the company issueing the RWC now have to cover their work via photo proof. They were talking about also having to take pics with the car in front of the workshop doing the RWC, to prove it was there at the time of RWC.
A good idea all this if your buying a car, gives you piece of mind knowing what you see on a RWC is what your most likely getting. Probably not so good if you just want to transfer a bomb car to a family member or mate though.

AGRO.
-------------------------------------------
Hp & Money...It's Never Enough.
AGRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 12:54 AM   #16
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hahah most mechanics I know barely look at the car for a road worthy. I dropped mine in with a flat battery asking if he could replace it then do a road worthy on it. I go to pick it up and it hadnt even moved, battery was still flat.
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 05:34 AM   #17
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where's BJ when you need him?
He works for Vicroads does'nt he, he may be able to enlighten us.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #18
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like the same thing the Engineer did when I got my VASS certificate for my LHD Javelin. Took plenty of photos for him to keep on file so if I got caught with the vehicle too low, too wide wheels, etc, he had evidence of its condition when it was certified.
Sounds reasonable to me.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Sounds reasonable to me.
sounds like more red tape to me
Old 30-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #20
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
sounds like more red tape to me
you are right we a thinking that charging more for a RWC will be the outcome of this, technicians arnt photographers and the time it take to put car on the hoist then inspect car, then take photos and upload photos to data base, then fill out roadworthy forms, Joe-blow mechanical wont be doing $50 roadies anymore expect to maybe give you a quick fail check.

Here is a trick Iv learnt when getting a roadworthy if you take a car in for one of these cheap roadworthies tell him when you come back if it didnt pass for any reason then you still want a fail (pink copy) they have to fill out the whole form to do this, usually the time it takes to fill it out he will properly just mark it off.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #21
80rs

They definetly have to take photos for victorian roadworthies and have been for at least the last month. The mechanic that does my roadworthies went on a 45 minute rant about how much time it wasted and how he was going to have to charge more for the tests cos of the time it took to catalogue the pics and car details on the computer. It is a good idea as i have been a mechanic for 7 years and in that time i have seen a lot of cars leave the workshop stock on a friday afternoon only to see them on the saturday night sitting on the bump stops with a massive set of wheels.
80rs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #22
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts
when getting a road worthy the place has to take photos of your car, engine bay,speedo, interior,profile, front and rear and store them for 7 years.
I've heard something along very similar lines except that the RWC tester has to forward the pics to VicRoads.

I've also heard that soon the RWC paperwork will be simplified but will have a barcode. The RWC tester will be required to enter this barcode with the vehicle rego number and/or VIN number. VicRoads can then audit this information to see if anyone is "shopping around" for roadworthies. If garage "A" fails a car on 6 items and garage "B" fails the same car a week later on 12 items then BOTH garages will be investigated.

Another thing I've heard is that VicRoads have hired more inspectors who have an agenda to target older cars and get them off the road.

I know this sounds very alarmist but it is unsubstantiated. I heard from a bloke who heard from a bloke who heard........... you get the picture.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #23
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

man i heard this 7 years ago when i got my rwc licence. ive been out of the trade for a couple of years so it wouldnt suprise me if its going to come into effect soon.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #24
EFFalcon
Last warning

I'm starting a business offering photoshopping services to RWC providers.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #25
LTDHO
The one and only

I like EFFalcons idea.

How does photo's help?
More information needed.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #26
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't it obvious how photos "help"?

Jeez, even here in Queensland where we don't have yearly roadworthies guys will turn up for thier roadworthy or mechanical check (as ordered by cops for example) with "one version" of thier car, and as soon as they get home, back on go the illegal wheels and other modified bits and pieces.

You aren't supposed to modify your car at all, don'tcha know? A photo would make it very easy to refer back to what your car is "supposed to look like".

Just be thankful that when it comes to replacement parts, type approval isn't brought in. Several times over the years they have tried to bring it in for motorbikes, without success.
It works like this: when it comes time to replace a part...air cleaner, dashboard switch, wheels, taillight...it must be from the original manufacturer over the counter from the dealership. They don't make parts for your car anymore? Too bad...go and buy a new one like a good little consumer.
With the motorcycling world, everyone kicked up because people generally keep motorcycles a lot longer than cars, and with the high turnover of models of motorbike in the industry, sometimes a model only a year or two old will have certain parts you just can't get anymore.
The aftermarket industry of course shouted long and loud about the damage it would do to them with job losses and suppliers of aftermarket bits going to the wall. It was all proposed in the name of "safety" of course...

Like the internet censorship filter that Optus and Telstra have snuck in on us without fanfare, this sort of thing will be brought in with the best of intentions (to get it past a skeptical public). With the internet filter, it's to "stop kiddie fiddlers"...certainly not to stop adults looking at stuff they want to look at, and no future government will add things that were never intended like opposing political viewpoints or sites like that.
With taking photos of your car, it's for "security" so they know which car goes with which rego...it;s certainly not to keep an eye on what sort of mods you are doing to it or whether the wheels in the photo match the wheels on the car now...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 30-06-2011 at 02:27 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #27
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Not sure about the 7 year bit, but the testers have had to take pics for a little while now, they get told what to take pics of also

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #28
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

NSW vehicles supposed to get checked every year can't see the photo help much, many from here put the standard wheels on etc just for the roadworthy then change them back all the picture would prove is what the car looked like when inspected not what it could look like an hour or 2 after the inspection has been done get a defect and the process for compliance starts again change out the defected parts, off to the pits all clear, then back home to fix her back up.....

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #29
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Big Brother is watching and taking and storing photos!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #30
Bobman
Regulator

Interesting development.

Having worked in the trade where we would do 50+ roadworthies a week, this will certainly put a dent in things with the time hassle.

Will it change anything? Not really, cars will still be modified to excess.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)