Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #121
gtfpv
GT

Default Re: New to cycling

very game with cleats 1st up my friend . A mate of mine done this and was very embarrassed when he fell over at a set of traffic lights in front of a car , and was on the ground sideways in his riding position !!! couldn't get up for a while . hahaha
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #122
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Don't worry, everybody has a clip stack

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #123
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
Well I got the bike the other day, got some Look pedals and cleats for my new Shimano shoes and I had my first test ride today.

Really enjoying this so far.

Unfortunately I now have a shopping list for Ribble, wiggle, cell bikes and chain reaction !!!

Cycling has got you, hook, line and sinker
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #124
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Agree with gtfpv. clips are great if your a regular rider and coordinated. Clip pedals provide additional range of power on the up stroke as well as down stroke. its a more efficient way odd riding but i have panic and fell off if i need to brake in a hurry. looks bad if people see you fall. lucky for me no one saw me. i would get used to clipping in and out of the pedals a few times to get familiar with its idiosyncracies of now they work.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #125
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a look into flat pedals as well.
I ride flats on the Road, Cyclocross and XC MTB.

My experiences are the same as in the link. (I will also add part of my resoning is I had a real bad accident that I put down to being clipped in, that combined with a better riding experiance means flats for me)
http://www.bikejames.com/cardio-trai...s-pedal-myths/

Im looking into getting a set of these.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tioga-M...Tire-2011.html
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #126
HLC
Audi S3

wait til you have a 'clip stack' on your track bike brakeless! HA HA

nothing like smashing down a hill and hoping to pull up and you rip your foot out of your pedal from the huge force of trying to skid/stop.. (i run shimano spd's on training rides where i wont be going to the shops/pub unless ive got a bag)...

or trackstanding at lights and keeling over ha ha

that leaves a nice brown stain in the underwear
Old 26-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #127
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Don't worry, everybody has a clip stack
Yup, non-negotiable.. Usually at the moment where you've just gotten comfortable with them cos you get a bit complacent..
Old 26-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #128
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

haha, love the experiences with clip stacking.

Hey guys, how often do you oil your chains, and what brand type of oil or fluid/spray do you use to do this? Is there any specific type I need to look out for?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #129
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Some TDU news for SA riders

Eddy Merckx to ride the BUPA challenge in 2012 for the TDU
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...-1226147663087

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #130
kocho
The Futuriser

I just purchased some pedals off ebay. I dont have the shoes yet, they're still coming. My first set of pedals and shoes for my road bike (usually ride around in runners). From what I've read up above... a little nervous now! Hahaha. I've got a windtrainer, so I'll jump on that first and get used to it.

Anyway the pedals I got are Shimano SPD SL Pedals PD-R540 (it has written on them). Also has 'floating' cleats. Are these any good? I didn't want to spend too much because I just want to see how I go.

With the shoes, they're Shimano too. Will I able to drive to where I want to ride with them on or will I have to change shoes?

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #131
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
I just purchased some pedals off ebay. I dont have the shoes yet, they're still coming. My first set of pedals and shoes for my road bike (usually ride around in runners). From what I've read up above... a little nervous now! Hahaha. I've got a windtrainer, so I'll jump on that first and get used to it.

Anyway the pedals I got are Shimano SPD SL Pedals PD-R540 (it has written on them). Also has 'floating' cleats. Are these any good? I didn't want to spend too much because I just want to see how I go.

With the shoes, they're Shimano too. Will I able to drive to where I want to ride with them on or will I have to change shoes?
Sounds like you have the proper road cleats and pedals. They are a decent sized cleat and work well for road use.

The ones I have are different as they are designed for mountain bike shoes. These are smaller cleats and are recessed into the shoes sole so you can actually walk normally in them if need be.

My pedals are something like this

and my cleats are like this

My shoes are these

With cleats fitted, see how the cleats are recessed into the sole of the shoe?

Notice the chunkier sole. The cleats are recessed into the sole of these shoes which protect the cleats from road damage when you walk on them and they are designed for ease of walking.

The shoes, cleats and pedals you have by the sounds of it are proper road shoes. The cleats are different and so are the associated pedals. Both types of shoes, cleats and pedals do the same thing. Transfer weight through your leg, foot and to the stiffened sole to the pedals for more efficient down stroke but also good up stroke efficiency. The mountain bike shoes I have are heavier than road shoes. So you save a few grams on weight alone having the road shoes.

Im guessing your cleats look something like this as an example?

With road shoes, you will not be able to drive a car with them on since the cleat on the bottom of these shoes stick out past the sole of the shoe about half and inch thick and are cumbersome to walk on let alone establish good pedal feel in a car. I would not recommend it. I have driven a car in my mountain bike shoes and it is easier, but I would not recommend that either. Bring a spare pair of sneakers to change into if you are traveling.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 27-09-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 27-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #132
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

I just fitted these to my Giant Road Bike
They allow for riding with SPD cleated shoes or just your old skanky runners....LOL You just flip the platform accordingly - they work a treat as I don't always find myself in the mood for a full on 30k ride - just want to go for a quick 10K thrash on the bike path and wear my runners.

http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/co...0.-type-..html

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #133
kocho
The Futuriser

Ok, awesome, thanks for all the info. To be honest, I'd probably like your setup as weight doesn't bother me too much. I rather be comfortable. Can I get shoes like yours that'll fit on my cleats?

With that being said, every ride I have, around 20 minutes in, I'll get numb hands and it effects the rest of my ride and my enjoyment. I've read up about it and I'm still altering my bike (move seat forward a bit, down a bit, tilt, etc etc) to try and get it to be comfortable. I don't have gloves, they're next on the shopping list and hopefully are a bit of a fix or at least reduce the numbness in my hands. Also read about trying to get more upper body strength so I don't lean to hard on my hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
They allow for riding with SPD cleated shoes or just your old skanky runners....LOL You just flip the platform accordingly - they work a treat as I don't always find myself in the mood for a full on 30k ride - just want to go for a quick 10K thrash on the bike path and wear my runners.

Ohhhh... these sound good too! I probably should have done more research before I went eBaying. How much did these set you back ESP?

Old 27-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #134
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP

These pedals are great if you share your bike with someone else who isnt a keen cleat wearer too. One thing about those pedals though is that for me with cleats, I'd want to make sure the pedal was the right way around after stopping at a set of lights or what ever. I can imagine myself trying to flick the pedal the other way round while still trying to maintain balance and setting off trying to keep up with traffic.

For me, I don't ride without clip shoes. Im used to it now and I make earnest mental notes of where I am when approaching areas where I need to stop and un-clip from the pedal.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #135
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
These pedals are great if you share your bike with someone else who isnt a keen cleat wearer too. One thing about those pedals though is that for me with cleats, I'd want to make sure the pedal was the right way around after stopping at a set of lights or what ever. I can imagine myself trying to flick the pedal the other way round while still trying to maintain balance and setting off trying to keep up with traffic.

For me, I don't ride without clip shoes. Im used to it now and I make earnest mental notes of where I am when approaching areas where I need to stop and un-clip from the pedal.
Having had them on my bike now for about a month - i can tell you that the pedals have a weighted tendency to "fall" platform side down. That means that the cleated side invariable ends up on top - making it very easy to clip back in...... Its actually harder to find the platform side when you are unclipped and riding with your runners !!!!!!

I've had a couple of incidents when I first started riding 4 years ago with being clipped in.....I ended up on the ground a couple of times after starting off from the lights uphill - incorrect gear - not enough inertia - both feet clipped in - down she goes..........

Not verry happy at the time....but looking back on it now - very funny.

These pedals basically allow you to ride with almost any SPD shoe / runners - clipped in or unclipped.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #136
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Ok, awesome, thanks for all the info. To be honest, I'd probably like your setup as weight doesn't bother me too much. I rather be comfortable. Can I get shoes like yours that'll fit on my cleats?

With that being said, every ride I have, around 20 minutes in, I'll get numb hands and it effects the rest of my ride and my enjoyment. I've read up about it and I'm still altering my bike (move seat forward a bit, down a bit, tilt, etc etc) to try and get it to be comfortable. I don't have gloves, they're next on the shopping list and hopefully are a bit of a fix or at least reduce the numbness in my hands. Also read about trying to get more upper body strength so I don't lean to hard on my hands.
Im not sure you can get MTB shoes with recessed soles that fit road cleats to be honest. Perhaps someone here can confirm. Since the cleats on road shoes are larger, the sole of the shoes do not cater for it as neatly as the MTB style shoe.

As for palm pain, gloves with some ergonomic padding is a must. Plus gloves protect your palms from gravel rash should you take a tumble. When you fall, usually your hands are the first to feel pain on the road. So protection is needed otherwise you will find you may be out of action for a few weeks due to no skin on your palms. lol

I have some Sugoi gloves with gel in specific areas. Cost me about $40 but no I would not ride without them, and I dont get palm pain after a 2-3 hour ride.

I have ones similar to these. Fingerless so I can still use my smart phone.

One thing the owner of my LBS said to me was even if he is a 1km ride or 100km ride, he would never leave home without his gloves.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #137
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Having had them on my bike now for about a month - i can tell you that the pedals have a weighted tendency to "fall" platform side down. That means that the cleated side invariable ends up on top - making it very easy to clip back in...... Its actually harder to find the platform side when you are unclipped and riding with your runners !!!!!!

I've had a couple of incidents when I first started riding 4 years ago with being clipped in.....I ended up on the ground a couple of times after starting off from the lights uphill - incorrect gear - not enough inertia - both feet clipped in - down she goes..........

Not verry happy at the time....but looking back on it now - very funny.

These pedals basically allow you to ride with almost any SPD shoe / runners - clipped in or unclipped.

Aah thats good they are weighted in favor of the cleats. Very handy. personally for me I prefer to chuck my clip shoes on when I ride, its just as much work chucking on runners as it is with my clip shoes, and seeing as I use MTB shoes with concealed cleats, I can still walk in them ok. Plus it gives me plenty of practice getting in and out of the pedals etc. Now I cant imagine riding without them.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 27-09-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 27-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #138
gtfpv
GT

Quote:

Ohhhh... these sound good too! I probably should have done more research before I went eBaying. How much did these set you back ESP?

fingerless gloves are a must , or full gloves in winter , they reduce the numbness in your fingers . FLATBAR road bikes are a known cause of hand numbness moreso than a racer , racer handlebars allow you to change your hand positions on the bars . flatbars are normally fixed hand positions . but the gloves help very well .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #139
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I have a flat bar road/hybrid bike and upgraded my handle bars with these
http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/gc3

Designed to relieve pressure around the Hypothenar and Thenar areas of your palms. Works a dream on long rides. Zero palm issues to date. And the bar extensions are useful on hill climbs and semi-aero hand positions.

But yes a road bike offers more options on the drop bars.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #140
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
fingerless gloves are a must , or full gloves in winter , they reduce the numbness in your fingers . FLATBAR road bikes are a known cause of hand numbness moreso than a racer , racer handlebars allow you to change your hand positions on the bars . flatbars are normally fixed hand positions . but the gloves help very well .

Agreed!.. Not only that, but it also saves some skin if (when) you come off.
Old 27-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #141
kocho
The Futuriser

I've got a road bike. Still got my flat bar though.

I had those bar extensions on my flat bar and they were a nice change up.

I just find on the road bike (which I've had for probably 6 months now) that I find to ride on the hoods only. Sometimes I'll mix it up and go on top but I never use the drops. I'll try some gloves as you guys have recommended. I really hope they are the fix because my hands get numb before my legs get tired. :(

Old 27-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #142
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Been training on a roadie at the moment for a Triathlon on the weekend…

I’m wearing my dirt jumping camo helmet, troy lee design XC full finger gloves and I’ve put my downhill flat pedals on the bike, complete with steel pins.

Been doing about 35-40km a day. Just cruising along, not laying into it…did 20km in one hit…took about 40 mins. Not sure how good that is? Or if it’s good at all haha.

Aero bars are a life saver though! Heart rate gets up a tad, lean down onto the aero bars and you can feel your BPM drop…Although they are a tad twitchy to steer with haha.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #143
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Been training on a roadie at the moment for a Triathlon on the weekend…

I’m wearing my dirt jumping camo helmet, troy lee design XC full finger gloves and I’ve put my downhill flat pedals on the bike, complete with steel pins.

Been doing about 35-40km a day. Just cruising along, not laying into it…did 20km in one hit…took about 40 mins. Not sure how good that is? Or if it’s good at all haha.

Aero bars are a life saver though! Heart rate gets up a tad, lean down onto the aero bars and you can feel your BPM drop…Although they are a tad twitchy to steer with haha.
Cool. Your tri bike sounds killer.

20km in 40mins is some serious speed dude. That's some decent cadence no doubt. Were you on the flat or any hills?

I rode about 30km on a combination of hills and flats. Average speed of 20kph. I thought that was reasonable as it took me 1.5hrs to do that. But 20km in 40mins is exceptional.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #144
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
I've got a road bike. Still got my flat bar though.

I had those bar extensions on my flat bar and they were a nice change up.

I just find on the road bike (which I've had for probably 6 months now) that I find to ride on the hoods only. Sometimes I'll mix it up and go on top but I never use the drops. I'll try some gloves as you guys have recommended. I really hope they are the fix because my hands get numb before my legs get tired. :(

Gloves are a must for any serious road rider. I haven't seen one road rider where I live that doesnt have ergonomic gloves. Comfort should be your number 1 priority when riding otherwise you will be more reluctant to go out again.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #145
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Cool. Your tri bike sounds killer.

20km in 40mins is some serious speed dude. That's some decent cadence no doubt. Were you on the flat or any hills?

I rode about 30km on a combination of hills and flats. Average speed of 20kph. I thought that was reasonable as it took me 1.5hrs to do that. But 20km in 40mins is exceptional.
No major hills...but the there is a progressive climb and head wind on one part of the loop I do...

I honestly thought it wasn't a good pace...had a bit left in the tank. My goal is 1 hour per 25km...the tri is 90km ride. See how I go.

I think with clip in I could go a bit faster with the same/less effort...but I'm just not comfortable with it.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #146
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

20km in 40min is 30kph isn't it?

Not a bad speed (what I aim to do most of the time) if there are decent hills involved then it is definitely a good speed!!!!

The whole cleat debate, if you want to use MTB shoes that bad, just get some MTB pedals?

Definitely agree gloves are a must.

On a side note, my boss found an ultegra front and rear derailer in his office, nice little upgrade for the bike Also bought an ultegra cassette since it was cheap.

Just leaves the leavers and brakes as Sora.
Old 27-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #147
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
20km in 40min is 30kph isn't it?

Not a bad speed (what I aim to do most of the time) if there are decent hills involved then it is definitely a good speed!!!!

The whole cleat debate, if you want to use MTB shoes that bad, just get some MTB pedals?

Definitely agree gloves are a must.

On a side note, my boss found an ultegra front and rear derailer in his office, nice little upgrade for the bike Also bought an ultegra cassette since it was cheap.

Just leaves the leavers and brakes as Sora.
That's not a bad option for kocho to consider. Can you get pedals that suit both style of clips at all do you know?

Ultegra F&R Derailleur for free? You serious? That's killer!

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #148
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With regards to the above question. Can I drive with bike shoes on?

Well this depends on the type of pedals. The ones in the photo above are a MTB spd pedal. When shoes like above are used you can walk around in them and drive in them. The soles will be a LOT stiffer than any normal pair of shoes though so will be a little un comfy.

You will not be able to drive is using a road type of cleat and road shoe though as the cleat it too big and the soles have no flex.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #149
kocho
The Futuriser

20k's in 40 minutes is really good!

Alright, I'll grab some gloves before my ride this week.

Thanks for all the info re: driving in the shoes. I don't have a huge drive to where I usually ride (5k's) but I think I'd much prefer the mountain bike shoes and pedals now. Like I said, aero isn't a huge deal for me (don't even ride in Lycra) but I thought some decent shoes would be nice and the runners tend to spill over the side of the pedals.

blueoval - as you posted, my shoes and cleats are just like you posted with the yellow on the cleats.

These were the shoes I purchased: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shimano-R...item7b677cad42

Should I get something like this? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nw-120-Sh...item588fe4d92f

or maybe this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shimano-M...item7b677cad6b

I'm not sure what pedals and cleats I match up to these though.

Old 27-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #150
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
don't even ride in Lycra
Do you have padded shorts though? They can help quite a bit so your rear end isn't as sore the next day. My wife got me a pair for my birthday earlier in the year, from A-Mart I think, and they look like normal shorts, but have a lycra-like inner and the necessary padding.

As for gloves, I bought some full finger ones over in NZ from Kathmandu last year and the couple of rides I've been on when it's been freezing cold has saved numb fingers.