Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #211
HLC
Audi S3

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
While we are talking about bike weights I think it is important to point out for those that are new to the game that weight is not everything.
Look at my two most recent bikes. The first was my old Monoc TC2 Compact built with durace and campag wheels. This bike was a relative feather weight at 6.8kgs with pedals and cages. My new bike is a Eddy Merckx 1XM that is actually built with all the components off the Monoc, so only the frame, fork and seat post are new. The Merckx is 400gms heavier at 7.2kgs.

Even though the Merckx is heavier, the frame (full carbon) has more lateral stiffness but more vertical compliance than the old Monoc (7000 series aluminium with carbon fork and seat stays). This makes the Merckx a much nicer and more comfortable bike to ride which despite the weight penalty still climbs and rides just as fast, if not faster than the old Monoc frame.
This.

My old track bike (alloy) with Velocity Deep V wheels was just under 7.8kg... with the heavy Velocity B43's it pushed it up over 8.... which was ok for a street beater.

The pursuit bike is just on 8 again with with the Velocity B43's, heavy saddle, straps + cages etc.

But i can throw it around like it weighs 5 kilos!!!

Can't wait to get something a bit lighter though ha ha ha ha
Old 07-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #212
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol @ you blokes saying "weight isn't everything" yet you're rolling with 7.8kg-8kg bikes.

Sure I agree weight isn't everything, but there is a huge damn difference going from a 10-12kg bike to the stuff you're riding.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #213
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Went for my first 40km ride on Saturday. Christies to McLaren Vale and back via the esplanade through Seaford. Was pretty chuffed to be able to handle such a ride. Im gonna do this a couple of times again ready for the Amy Gillette ride in November. The Kona didnt miss a beat. Took me 2 hours to do at an average of 20kph. I wasn't pushing it but wanted to maintain good speed. Had a brown snake jump out in front of me between Mclaren Vale and Seaford and it scared the poo out of me. Nearly fell off. Made me ride faster after that.

How's everyone else going?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #214
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Well a few weeks on since I started this thread, and I'm still going.

Here is a pick of the bike as it is now....

I went for my first "real" ride on the weekend, from house to the City and back. All up just over 13 kms (which is more than double what I have been doing) and my first time on the roads also. Really enjoyed it, except for the burning legs on a hill on the way back and a minor clip-mishap on the way back also. Didn't fall off, just couldn't clip in taking off from a set of lights.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #215
kocho
The Futuriser

I went on Saturday and Sunday. Both only about 25k's each day and not really trying too hard. Sunday wasn't great, it was windy and raining so I just decided to go home.

But, the mountain bike shoes and pedals are nice! They're very comfortable and you feel more part of the machine. I haven't fallen off yet. Probably my problem is clipping in the first time (just getting the first foot onto the pedal).. it'll take me sometimes 20 seconds just to get it in! Anyway, once I'm in, not too much trouble. I did have a moment where I forgot and went to put my right foot down but luckily it unclipped for me otherwise I would have been into a pole.

Padded shorts and nice too. Liking those... and the gloves got a bit of a go yesterday too. Like I said, didn't try too hard but the shoes + gloves + shorts seem to be helping my hands not get numb. I'm going to go on a couple of more rides in the evenings this week to get myself ready for Around the Bay.

Question for everyone - do you carry a repair kit on you when you ride? I understand where I can put the levers and a spare tube, but what about the pump? Also, I have the tubes with the stupid screwing valves and I find it hard to pump beyond, say, half pumped (with a regular bike pump). Is that normal?

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #216
Sam_Boss260

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
Probably my problem is clipping in the first time (just getting the first foot onto the pedal).. it'll take me sometimes 20 seconds just to get it in! Anyway, once I'm in, not too much trouble. I did have a moment where I forgot and went to put my right foot down but luckily it unclipped for me otherwise I would have been into a pole.

Padded shorts and nice too. Liking those... and the gloves got a bit of a go yesterday too. Like I said, didn't try too hard but the shoes + gloves + shorts seem to be helping my hands not get numb. I'm going to go on a couple of more rides in the evenings this week to get myself ready for Around the Bay.

Question for everyone - do you carry a repair kit on you when you ride? I understand where I can put the levers and a spare tube, but what about the pump? Also, I have the tubes with the stupid screwing valves and I find it hard to pump beyond, say, half pumped (with a regular bike pump). Is that normal?

Yes, my problem is clipping in when I take off. Sometimes I end up riding with one foot clipped in for maybe 20 - 30 metres before I can clip in. Where I came unstuck was at a set of lights with a slight incline and taking off up the incline and trying to clip in. Struggled and the lights went yellow with me in the middle of the intersection. Luckily it was early morning and no traffic.

I carry a spare tube, tyre levers and a smla multi-function tool. I don't carry a pump, but I carry a small Co2 cannister which can pump up a tyre pretty quickly (or so I am told). I'm not doing long rides, so I think that will suit me ok.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #217
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I managed to do 11 k's this morning, which is more than twice what I've ever ridden in my life! I bought a cycle computer, and have realised the value of 'cadence'. I have a few hills where I'm riding, and keeping the cadence at 80 or over helps get up the hills.

One of the positives I've found, is my blood pressure has started falling toward an acceptable level since I started! Now that's motivation

I'll do the 11k circuit for a few days, then increase it...

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #218
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Yes I have a repair pouch I carry under the saddle. It fits a spare tube, tire level tools and a stainless Lezyne multi tool which has 5 & 6mm allen keys with philips and flat head screw drivers.

I have this hand pump

I fit the pump just to the side of the bottom tube where the water cage is in the picture.

and this multi tool

I havent used the hand pump yet as I was told to only use it in an emergency.

To do tire pressure checks I have a floor pump. This one to be exact. Its a lot easier to pump up the tires and check pressures with this unit than a small hand unit.

The hand units are meant to be used in emergency situations only and not for regular checks. In other words use them to get you out of trouble.

Great to hear your riding kit is looking after you. Its money well spent for comfort.

Sam - Gorgeous looking bike mate.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 10-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #219
kocho
The Futuriser

Thanks for the info guys!

Typically I don't carry any tools (just a mobile phone!) but I feel like on this upcoming ride I want to have a pump just incase. I have one of those repair pouches too blueoval, but thats usually where I put my keys, wallet and phone. I'd be able to fit a tube and levers in there but I'm still not sure how to go about having a pump with me.

Do you have something like these Sam? http://www.bikes.com.au/c/288299/1/co2-pumps.html

Old 10-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #220
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
Yes, my problem is clipping in when I take off. Sometimes I end up riding with one foot clipped in for maybe 20 - 30 metres before I can clip in. Where I came unstuck was at a set of lights with a slight incline and taking off up the incline and trying to clip in. Struggled and the lights went yellow with me in the middle of the intersection. Luckily it was early morning and no traffic.
what I normally do is I get going with my foot on the pedal but not clipped in. Usually using the arch of the shoe to pedal for a bit. When Im in motion, then I have a play with clipping in. That way you dont look like a fool at the lights. The cars would have passed you then, and you can comfortably 'clip in' in your own time without added pressure of people watching you.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 10-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #221
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:

Typically I don't carry any tools (just a mobile phone!) but I feel like on this upcoming ride I want to have a pump just incase. I have one of those repair pouches too blueoval, but thats usually where I put my keys, wallet and phone. I'd be able to fit a tube and levers in there but I'm still not sure how to go about having a pump with me.

Do you have something like these Sam? http://www.bikes.com.au/c/288299/1/co2-pumps.html
Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a proper jersey with the pockets in the back. I have about 3 of them and they carry, my phone, keys, wallet, ear warmers, and a small packet of lollies. That leaves you to keep your saddle pouch for just the emergency kit. The jerseys are cheap as anything on ebay, but very very useful when riding. Seriously worth getting a couple of them.

Something like this is handy and fits right under the saddle out of the way. Is water resistant and velcro strapped for easy fitting to the saddle and seat post.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 10-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #222
kocho
The Futuriser

Yep, that's what I've got except mines a Specialized one. Like I said, no problem fitting my keys and that in there aswell as a tube and levers but I'm not sure where I'll put a pump (unless I can get something the size of the repair pouch which I doubt).

I have a jersey too (like $20 from Anaconda) which has the pockets. I'll put some lollies and a bar of some sort in there.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry, just read where you leave the pump. I might have to get something similar.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #223
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Yep, that's what I've got except mines a Specialized one. Like I said, no problem fitting my keys and that in there aswell as a tube and levers but I'm not sure where I'll put a pump (unless I can get something the size of the repair pouch which I doubt).

I have a jersey too (like $20 from Anaconda) which has the pockets. I'll put some lollies and a bar of some sort in there.
Any brand will do for the saddle pouch as long as its secure. The bike pump can fit on the bottom tube easily as it comes with special mount and velcro straps. Either bottom tube or seat tube.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 10-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #224
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny
I managed to do 11 k's this morning, which is more than twice what I've ever ridden in my life! I bought a cycle computer, and have realised the value of 'cadence'. I have a few hills where I'm riding, and keeping the cadence at 80 or over helps get up the hills.

One of the positives I've found, is my blood pressure has started falling toward an acceptable level since I started! Now that's motivation

That's great news swanny. Awesome to hear.

I also should invest in a cycle computer too. Ive been using a free app on my phone called 'my tracks' and that gives me a voice spoken km by km update of speed, time, and distance when I ride.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 10-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #225
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

edit: question was answered while I was posting this.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #226
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
That's great news swanny. Awesome to hear.

I also should invest in a cycle computer too. Ive been using a free app on my phone called 'my tracks' and that gives me a voice spoken km by km update of speed, time, and distance when I ride.

I also use an app on my phone, Sportstracker. It tracks my route, shows average and highest speed, and saves each session on the phone.

I'll have to look at the tool kit and portable pump next.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #227
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

many pumps come with a mounting bracket that bolts to the same bolts as your bidon cage.

just a tip: many fun cycling events include a souvenir top, enter an event, your money quite often goes to a good cause, you get fitter and get a top thrown in

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #228
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
many pumps come with a mounting bracket that bolts to the same bolts as your bidon cage.

just a tip: many fun cycling events include a souvenir top, enter an event, your money quite often goes to a good cause, you get fitter and get a top thrown in
too true mate. Im a BikeSA member here in SA and they give you a program of all the events held in my state including a complete list of FREE cycling sessions, groups and catch ups some have organized on a day to day basis. It's worth contacting your state cycling group and getting in whats happening as well as enthusiast groups who cater for all levels of fitness and causes.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 10-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #229
Sam_Boss260

Quote:

That is exactly what I have. I keep two bottles and the connector / head piece.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #230
Sam_Boss260

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny

Good work Swanny. I too managed to double my ride. Up to last week, I was just "learning" and getting used to using new muscles and was doing the same 5.5km loop. On the weekend I rode to the City and back and went 13.2 kms. Felt great. I'll now do the "RIde2Work" day on the 12th.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #231
Sam_Boss260

Quote:
what I normally do is I get going with my foot on the pedal but not clipped in. Usually using the arch of the shoe to pedal for a bit. When Im in motion, then I have a play with clipping in. That way you dont look like a fool at the lights. The cars would have passed you then, and you can comfortably 'clip in' in your own time without added pressure of people watching you.
Agreed !
Old 10-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #232
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
Good work Swanny. I too managed to double my ride. Up to last week, I was just "learning" and getting used to using new muscles and was doing the same 5.5km loop. On the weekend I rode to the City and back and went 13.2 kms. Felt great. I'll now do the "RIde2Work" day on the 12th.
Did you register for that? Was thinking about doing it but my work round trip would be 80km. lol

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 10-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #233
Sam_Boss260

Quote:
Did you register for that? Was thinking about doing it but my work round trip would be 80km. lol

Yes, I did register for that. But I think it is just so they know how many people "actively" did the ride.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #234
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Blueoval, Do you know micheal hardy ? He used to coach the SA bicycle team.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #235
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Any fellow vic riding the east link ride (Nov) or Otways Classic(Mar)?

Anyone doing around the bay in a day next Sunday?? Im missing it this year because I opted to train for the melbourne marathon instead; now I wish I was doing it!
Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #236
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibe_xr6
Blueoval, Do you know micheal hardy ? He used to coach the SA bicycle team.
Not sure mate. Is he a member of Adelaide Cyclists forum? I may have seen his name on there thats all.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 11-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #237
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU

Anyone doing around the bay in a day next Sunday?? !
The wife and i are doing the 100 klm ride, melb to frankston and back to melb

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #238
kocho
The Futuriser

I'm doing Around the Bay 100k Sorrento - Melbourne (by myself) and the Eastlink 35k ride in November (with my Sister and Dad).

I thought about Melbourne - Frankston - Melbourne but I usually do something similar on the weekend anyway. Plus, I think Sorrento to Melbourne will be a bit more difficult.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #239
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Good work guys!.... I'll be there cheering the old boy on...

Kocho you picked the right route.. Sorrento to Melbourne is so much more fun to ride then Geelong to Melbourne!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #240
kocho
The Futuriser

Ahh, good to know TZENU! I just hope the weather is nice and it's not too windy.

BOM is showing a max of 19, Partly cloudy. Isolated showers. Winds west to northwesterly averaging up to 20 km/h tending west to southwesterly up to 30 km/h during the afternoon.

....northwesterly. :(