Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-06-2017, 07:22 PM   #271
prydey
Rob

Default Re: The Camping Thread

I think i got the ufo ones from bcf as they didn't have ones with remote control at anaconda at the time and i think the ones at anaconda had a silly mount system where the ones at bcf just have one of those caribiner hooks so you can just hang them.

My 1000lumen lantern is led.
https://www.anacondastores.com/campi...n/p/BP90064268

Only reason i bought that one was it was on the cheap rack for $40 because the cover for the battery compartment was faulty.

Works good.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2017, 07:27 PM   #272
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It throws light outwards pretty well then? I read a review that says that the led lanterns with the diodes on the bottom shining up don't throw that much light to the sides and most of it just goes straight up. Is that your experience as well?
That review says that either side facing or downward facing leds are better.

The ufo lights, something like this?
http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Soluti...t-Light/299380

Last edited by sgt_doofey; 29-06-2017 at 07:33 PM.
sgt_doofey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2017, 11:37 PM   #273
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
It throws light outwards pretty well then? I read a review that says that the led lanterns with the diodes on the bottom shining up don't throw that much light to the sides and most of it just goes straight up. Is that your experience as well?
post #185 i have a pic of the lights under my awning. the gas light on the right was just for nostalgic reasons. its a bit hard to judge based on the photo though, as the camera automatically adjusts the pic depending on the light. all i know is we were pretty happy with it. It has an inverted cone shaped reflector under the top, so definitely had a reasonable spread of light.

this is the other main light we had
https://www.snowys.com.au/frontier-camping-lantern-500

it has a hook in the bottom as well, so you can remove the top section, and hang it upside down. this is how we used it. its great as a light hanging from the centre of a room as it throws the light directly down as well as a reasonable spread. the middle room of our tent was 3m x 3m and it lit this up well.

Quote:
thats the ones, except because it was for the kids, i bought a pink one.

if you want, you can borrow my lanterns to see what you think. i don't use them anymore, although will probably keep them in the van just for back up.
Old 29-06-2017, 11:42 PM   #274
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

A couple of favourite shots from my GRR trip..

Cable beach

Pentecost river

Camping Kimberley style
Old 30-06-2017, 07:30 AM   #275
Trevor 57
is now there

We loved the GRR, however some of the road was horrendous. I was watching previous sessions of 'Outback Truckers' on 7 internet last night and there was a young couple in trouble with their truck on the GRR and it bought back memories, I think it might have been PTSD - LOL

There is some beautiful sights on the GRR, we didn't take our van, we left it at Parry Creek and tented it
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2017, 07:33 AM   #276
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Gotta think tents and camper trailer here, so portable lighting is more what I'm after.
I have one of these, really good
http://www.ironman4x4.com/products/c...ed-strip-light
Old 30-06-2017, 07:38 AM   #277
Trevor 57
is now there

Windjana Gorge (just off GRR)

Bell Gorge
3 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #278
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still on lighting (sorry!).
I've just purchased a Ryobi One+ drill to replace my old aging Bosch cordless ones. I noticed that in the range, Ryobi have these lights:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-on...-port_p6210745

Anyone got one? Any good for camp lighting?
Old 12-07-2017, 08:48 PM   #279
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Just came across this thread and saw your post. I've had these type of UFO lights and don't think much of them, Came across these on special at Getaway Outdoors for about $20, not remote control but better light distribution and re-chargeable via USB, much better than the UFO's -

http://oztrail.com.au/products/rechargeable-tent-light
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-07-2017, 09:08 PM   #280
prydey
Rob

I have one of these which is very similar
https://www.snowys.com.au/moji-lantern

We had that in our room and the ufo for the kids.

We didn't have a lot of power so most of our lights are battery powered. Batteries are cheap.
Old 28-07-2017, 05:10 PM   #281
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Hi fellow campers, im currently spending 3 nights at Mambray Creek. The weather is perfect, 23 today and 26 tomorrow with an overnight low of mid teens, who said it was winter.
@ Prydey, im right across from the site you've booked in October, it is a good site with a communal fire pit right across the road which i just cooked curry beef massaman in. Ive taken some photos of the site if you're interested but wont be able to forward them till i get home Sunday.
So nice to be able to have an uninterrupted hot shower at midnight.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #282
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Hi fellow campers, im currently spending 3 nights at Mambray Creek. The weather is perfect, 23 today and 26 tomorrow with an overnight low of mid teens, who said it was winter.
@ Prydey, im right across from the site you've booked in October, it is a good site with a communal fire pit right across the road which i just cooked curry beef massaman in. Ive taken some photos of the site if you're interested but wont be able to forward them till i get home Sunday.
So nice to be able to have an uninterrupted hot shower at midnight.
only 21 forecast for adelaide with arvo rain and yet again, a lot of wind.

if its no trouble, some pics would be good. i'll PM you my email if thats the easiest way. Photobucket has really put a downer on this thread.

spent the weekend before last down at Wirrina Cove holiday park just to continue to work out how to set our van up for us. the wind did its best to try to relocate us. van seemed to handle it fine even though the canvas sides were quite bowed in with the wind and the sound on the inside was quite unnerving. no chance of sleep when its that windy.
Old 28-07-2017, 07:22 PM   #283
beardo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are there any good ways of heating and cooling inside camper trailers? Obviously that isn't dangerous.
I might have to camp for work for the next 8 or 9 months in country victoria (for 4 weeks at a time)
beardo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #284
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardo View Post
Are there any good ways of heating and cooling inside camper trailers? Obviously that isn't dangerous.
I might have to camp for work for the next 8 or 9 months in country victoria (for 4 weeks at a time)
if you have power, you can get oil heaters that do a pretty good job.

if not, many caravans have diesel heaters. just have to vent them outside obviously.

for cooling, again, if you have power, portable evaporative units are available. not sure how effective they are. if you are relying on 12v power, then anything more than a fan is going to chew a lot of power and may not be a viable option.
Old 28-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #285
beardo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm hoping to get a powered site at the least. I'd just buy a van with heating and cooling but I'm a casual worker in an unreliable industry so i don't really want to outlay that much cash
Old 28-07-2017, 08:29 PM   #286
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm hoping to get a powered site at the least. I'd just buy a van with heating and cooling but I'm a casual worker in an unreliable industry so i don't really want to outlay that much cash
When we went to the Grampians in May, we took a little blow heater and used that to heat our camper trailer. We only used it whilst awake and turned it off to sleep.
An oil heater is something you could leave on all night.
Assuming you get a powered site of course.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 28-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #287
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

9kg bottle with a camp heater element, cost u bugger all and cheap to run. Obviously you'd need to be careful but i reckon you could run it on low for 5 minutes to heat the camper tent and in an annex when necessary so long as theres ventilation and you monitor the temp of the material above your head. I wouldn't leave it unattended at all.
But if you have access to power then a fan heayer and portable A/C as Rob suggested.
Old 28-07-2017, 09:33 PM   #288
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
only 21 forecast for adelaide with arvo rain and yet again, a lot of wind.

if its no trouble, some pics would be good. i'll PM you my email if thats the easiest way. Photobucket has really put a downer on this thread.

spent the weekend before last down at Wirrina Cove holiday park just to continue to work out how to set our van up for us. the wind did its best to try to relocate us. van seemed to handle it fine even though the canvas sides were quite bowed in with the wind and the sound on the inside was quite unnerving. no chance of sleep when its that windy.
Forecast predicted 55k/hr northerly winds here and at Pt Augusta where the reading for this area is taken it was a steady 25k/hr at 1pm yet it was dead calm here all day although you can hear the tops of the gums rustling in short bursts.
No probs with pics, i dont want to spoil it for you as discovering a new destination is part of the experience for mine but I'll forward some of your site and of the facilities to give you an idea of what to expect if you like.
Just returned from the Davey Gully hike at night, you can see from Pt Augusta to Pt Pirie with Pt Bonython and Whyalla in the distance.
Old 29-07-2017, 05:50 AM   #289
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
9kg bottle with a camp heater element, cost u bugger all and cheap to run. Obviously you'd need to be careful but i reckon you could run it on low for 5 minutes to heat the camper tent and in an annex when necessary so long as theres ventilation and you monitor the temp of the material above your head. I wouldn't leave it unattended at all.
I thought these were banned?
Old 29-07-2017, 06:00 AM   #290
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you use anything that uses gas to heat, check the instructions properly as you don't want to die from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Old 29-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #291
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lever T View Post
I thought these were banned?
They may well be, i havent looked at them in years but worth enquiring.
Old 29-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #292
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We use a gas heater that was bought at Snowy,s for around. $100.Uses those little 220 g butane cylinders that last maybe 1 1/2 hours on full heat.In the caravan which is fairly well vented I figure that if I did nod off with it going it would run out of gas before the carbon level got to a dangerous level
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #293
beardo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you use anything that uses gas to heat, check the instructions properly as you don't want to die from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Yeah I'd rather not die. I reckon a little oil heater and a decent sleeping bag would do the trick.
Probably more concerned with cooling as I'm pretty warm blooded and most of this job will be in the warmer months, in the warmest part of vic
Old 01-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #294
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For cooling, perhaps look at the misting systems you can get for gazebos and the like. Might be easier and cheaper to cool an outdoor spot during the day. A tent should cool down at night with it opened up.

Just be careful with evaporative or misting systems that the humidity it creates doesn't stuff up your electronic devices.

If you want to see ingenious camping setups, a walk around the Bathurst camp sites whilst the race is on will definitely open your eyes. Some truly amazing setups there!
Old 02-08-2017, 08:06 PM   #295
beardo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
For cooling, perhaps look at the misting systems you can get for gazebos and the like. Might be easier and cheaper to cool an outdoor spot during the day. A tent should cool down at night with it opened up.

Just be careful with evaporative or misting systems that the humidity it creates doesn't stuff up your electronic devices.

If you want to see ingenious camping setups, a walk around the Bathurst camp sites whilst the race is on will definitely open your eyes. Some truly amazing setups there!
Yeah I'd be a bit worried about it making everything damp.
Anyway, i finally got a start date and looks like I'll get plenty of work out of this job so i might just bite the bullet and lash out on a new van
Old 09-09-2017, 10:31 PM   #296
prydey
Rob

having discovered another free image hosting site, i thought i'd update this thread with some pics

last school holidays we decided on a spur of the moment trip to a caravan park about an hour away, just for a couple of nights to continue to get to know our new (to us) van. Forecast wasn't great but it was more about just getting away as a family.

well, it started off ok on the saturday morning, but from sat arvo, the wind started picking up and being coastal, the gusts were seriously worrying when you are in a slab sided van with canvas walls. i ended up putting guy ropes on the van roof on the opposite side to the awning just to try help hold it steady.
then the rain came.
we came close to calling it quits, but decided to trust the van would hold up, and sat it out.

not quite the relaxing weekend away but it was an experience...

Old 10-09-2017, 08:16 AM   #297
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry coming in a bit late but for a soft floor CT or hard floor how about a tarp over the whole lot with an air gap. Kinda like a solar blanket theory.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #298
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pack the gum boots did we Rob? Looks like a fair bit of rain fell!

I think I've solved my lighting dilemma. I've bought the following:
https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/pro...light-kit.html

5x led light bars and various cabling options. Runs off battery or cigarette lighter from your car. Might be a little while before I use it though as we're in the middle of selling the house!

Old 12-09-2017, 12:39 AM   #299
prydey
Rob

Those lights look the same as the korr light bar I have except I paid more than that for a single 50cm one. Mine is one that does orange and white light, but 4wd supercentre pricing is very sharp.

Regardless, it is a good setup, with it all being modular so you can add bits as you need, or leave bits off.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #300
RHR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just thought I'd post about our previous camper and upgrade

Started off with a Mars branded camper that we bought off ebay of all places. $5,500 back in 2014 and we had lots of great times with it. Had a mate fab up a custom made bike, spare wheel and jerry can rack to move some of the weight off the draw bar. Ill let the pics do the talking.

It was fitted with a 105 A/H battery and had two cig sockets and a merit socket hard wired in.

https://imgur.com/tqCzdGS

https://imgur.com/a188031

https://imgur.com/HjCCgGS

https://imgur.com/wlWkrmT

Cig Sockets

https://imgur.com/yeXrBRd

https://imgur.com/2k1tF4l

It was great for what it was only bad thing is the wife and I would get divorced when setting it up and divorced when we packed up.

So we sold it a little while ago for what we originally paid for it which i thought was pretty good.

Took the plunge and bought a 2016 Jayco Flamingo Outback.

Sorry about the caravan sales pics.
It has a heap of extras including aircon, stereo, wind up TV antenna, Decent roll out awning, hot water system with external shower.

https://imgur.com/bc40qTi

https://imgur.com/F40EZS7

https://imgur.com/vZJ91uo

https://imgur.com/i6x7SME

https://imgur.com/AUJPs7B

https://imgur.com/9LJ1KiJ

https://imgur.com/8w4fvrc

To say its clean is an understatement. According to the seller it was bought by a single elderly lady for her and her grand daughter. It was used twice and she found it too hard to put up/down. All up going off a quote new she would have paid close to 38-40K for it.

We paid 27K which I was/am very happy with.

First trip is to Lake Tabourie (NSW Coast near Ulladulla) over the school holidays
BA 5.4L Fairmont goone
LW MKII Focus ST gone

Y62 Series 5 Patrol TI
FG MKII XR6T
FGX XR8

Last edited by RHR; 12-09-2017 at 01:41 PM.
RHR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: