Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #391
prydey
Rob

Default Re: The Camping Thread

It's good the national parks are opening up more area for camping. Too many screens in most people's lives. Good to get back out in to nature and just do what kids always used to do.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2018, 07:04 AM   #392
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Just got home from a quick 2 night stay in a new campground not long finished in Onkaparinga River National Park, which is literally about 25min from my door. Was just a quick trip making sure everything is sorted before going away at easter, considering i hadn't towed with the territory yet, and had also fitted a new mixer tap to the van, and still getting our van set up to how we like it.

just set up. as you can see the sites are pretty barren, as its only just been finished. 11 sites and a toilet block is all thats there.

walk from the campground goes to onkaparinga gorge, which was pretty impressive

a local

and a flushing toilet - perfect.
Googled this camp site to get directions for the mother in law and your photos came up
Old 07-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #393
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

My wife & I went for another overnight trip to the Prom & caught up with a few friends there. This time we stayed at Tidal & just did a 15km day hike with friends around to Oberon & back.

Perfect weather, great company, and the Tidal River campsite was deserted. It's usually p-a-c-k-e-d in the summer, during school holidays, and public holiday long weekends.

Pic taken at Oberon Bay

mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2018, 07:45 PM   #394
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great thread. Just bought some roof racks to help me out. Wondering where people would suggest to go during the school holiday break? (VIC)
Kids are high school age so I reckon they can do a bit of walking.

Thanks in advance.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2018, 08:02 PM   #395
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
Great thread. Just bought some roof racks to help me out. Wondering where people would suggest to go during the school holiday break? (VIC)
Kids are high school age so I reckon they can do a bit of walking.

Thanks in advance.
What's your budget? How far from Melbourne are you willing to travel? Is wet weather an issue?
Old 07-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #396
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflux View Post
What's your budget? How far from Melbourne are you willing to travel? Is wet weather an issue?
I'm thinking maybe 2 nights. Ok with sleeping in tent. Not sure how much I should budget for. Travel is ok but 3 hours max I think.
Only have a sedan so can't really go off road and might be a problem if there's wet weather. And a tent might not be suitable if it starts raining.

I've camped at powered sites once before around lorne and took surboards for some surfing.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #397
prydey
Rob

Grampians. Otways
Old 07-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #398
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I'd second the Grampians! Or there's the Prom; be prepared for four seasons in a day there though, and a campsite is ~60/night in the off season.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #399
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's good the national parks are opening up more area for camping.
Are they opening up 4wd tracks too?

I'm wanting to do a Flinders trip, would love to go back to Mt Remarkable. Are any of the tracks onto the range open to the public? I'm getting the feeling not much is open to he public other than through 4wd tour companies? Couldnt find any info on the parks websites :(
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #400
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Are they opening up 4wd tracks too?

I'm wanting to do a Flinders trip, would love to go back to Mt Remarkable. Are any of the tracks onto the range open to the public? I'm getting the feeling not much is open to he public other than through 4wd tour companies? Couldnt find any info on the parks websites :(
i'm not into 4wd stuff, so can't comment on what is available as I wasn't really looking for it. there is a park near mt remarkable called 'spear creek caravan park' which has 4wd tracks on the property. I don't thing there is too many 'national parks' that have 4wd tracks.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:55 PM   #401
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't thing there is too many 'national parks' that have 4wd tracks.
Most do... they're just fire trails. My in-laws in SA used to 4wd all though the Flinders, but when I search, there's barely a mention leading me to think they've closed most tracks.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #402
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
And a tent might not be suitable if it starts raining.
A tent is fine for when it rains. If it rains and the tent is a bit too small then a tarp provides plenty of shelter.
We've camped at Bathurst in a tent and it rained quite heavily one night. We just sat under the tarp drinking our beer. The tent also survived 90km/h wind gusts one night. We had to help everyone else with their gear blowing away.

If a tarp isn't to your liking, then check out the gazebos from 4wdsupercentre. I bought a 6x3m one with walls so will have heaps of shelter.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
2 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #403
prydey
Rob

If you buy a decent tent, rain won't be a problem as far as leaks go. The only thing that can be a problem is water run off. Just make sure you always have a spade so you can channel any 'rivers' away from your tent/living area.
This user likes this post:
Old 14-05-2018, 09:28 PM   #404
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Thought i'd give you Adelaide boys a heads up on another nice camp spot i had a look at on the weekend.
Its called Rocky Paddock and is situated amongst the pines in Mt Crawford Forest between Williamstown and Birdwood.
Its set in off the main road up a couple of well formed gravel roads easily accessible by car.
The area contains 30 sites of various size and contour with heaps of shade and fire pits with a few having swing away plates.
Price is $5 per adult per night, $2 per child or a family pass for $20 for a week.
There are toilets but no showers.
The entrance is about half a kilometer south of the Mt Crawford ranger/info station where permits can be bought via an honour box system.

The Fire ban season was extended in the area this year and ends on 15.5.18, tomorrow.

Local attractions include The Whispering Wall, Birdwood Mill, Toy Factory numerous hiking trails including sections of the Heysen and if you're into fishing or Kayaking then Hale/Warren Reservoirs which are only 5 minutes drive from the campsite have been opened to the public and is stocked with fresh water fish of various species.
Permits are required for using the reservoirs at $10 for 3 days or $27.50 annually.

https://www.forestrysa.com.au/accomm.../rockypaddock/

https://www.barossa.sa.gov.au/sectio...rren-reservoir

As its an honour system there are no pre bookings but if you get there and find it full theres a number of other camp areas in the vacinity including Chalks which is 5 minutes away towards Birdwood.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #405
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

So i decided to head up to Rocky Paddock for the weekend, checked the weather forcast, didnt like what i saw and quickly booked my usual site at Mambray.
****ed down with rain between Dublin and Pirie and then clearish skies from then on.
Arrived at 4.30 yesterday, took a run in to Pt Augusta this morning and returned to a wet campsite.
Light drizzle on and off but Willy says things are looking up tomorrow.
Oh well, all part of the adventure and the fauna comes to life in these conditions,.
Spent breakfast with an inquisitive baby kookaburra and just had ham, tomato, onion and cheese toasties from the jaffle iron in the company of 2 Emu.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #406
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
So i decided to head up to Rocky Paddock for the weekend, checked the weather forcast, didnt like what i saw and quickly booked my usual site at Mambray.
****ed down with rain between Dublin and Pirie and then clearish skies from then on.
Arrived at 4.30 yesterday, took a run in to Pt Augusta this morning and returned to a wet campsite.
Light drizzle on and off but Willy says things are looking up tomorrow.
Oh well, all part of the adventure and the fauna comes to life in these conditions,.
Spent breakfast with an inquisitive baby kookaburra and just had ham, tomato, onion and cheese toasties from the jaffle iron in the company of 2 Emu.
over 20ml in Adelaide yesterday, only about 0.4ml recorded at Noarlunga.

Sounds like its not too bad out that way. Where is your 'usual' campsite at mambray? From memory you like being up near the group site area yeah?
Old 19-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #407
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Hi Rob, there was a time when i enjoyed the privacy of the group site end but now i like the shower nice and handy and our own firepit so i get 5.

Theres a few in.

I actually thought you were up here, some people just up from us have a grey Territory and a camper but on closer inspection it isnt a Jayco.
Old 19-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #408
prydey
Rob

5 is good. pretty sheltered too that one from memory. I also prefer to be not too far from the facilities. We stayed in 7 first time last October, and apart from a lot of foot traffic, that was pretty good. we parked long ways so we faced the creek, so still plenty of privacy. Easter we camped in 29. not a hot weather site, but we liked it because it doesn't really have any neighbours or anyone opposite.

And, no, not us there this weekend, although I wouldn't mind being there during 'off peak' season. tend to get more wildlife when there is less people. Good walking temps this time of year too.
Old 19-05-2018, 04:25 PM   #409
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Im watching a couple set up in 7 as we speak.
Its funny, watching the discussion between husband and wife setting up is great entertainment, they look like they've been on the road a while as he's well trained.
A lot of 'yes dear's'
Some of the antics reminds me of a boat ramp on a busy day, reversing a trailer should really be covered in licence exams..lol
3 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #410
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Im watching a couple set up in 7 as we speak.
Its funny, watching the discussion between husband and wife setting up is great entertainment, they look like they've been on the road a while as he's well trained.
A lot of 'yes dear's'
Some of the antics reminds me of a boat ramp on a busy day, reversing a trailer should really be covered in licence exams..lol
yes, although being fairly 'new' myself, i'm careful not to pick on others much. we had some walkie talkies, but now just use our phones through the car Bluetooth. my wife normally hops out and offers directions over the phone, with it on speaker in the car. works really well.... except one time I accidently pressed the wrong button and hung up on her. how do you think that went

I won't comment on reversing a trailer either, as although I can reverse a trailer, I think confidence in doing so only comes from experience.

I had a quick look at Rocky paddock on the web, and it looks quite nice. A guy at work (the same guy that also recommended mambray ck) goes there fairly regularly and he talks it up, although often he doesn't stay the night. just goes there with his family and sits around a fire for the afternoon. he lives nearby. The only thing that i'm not a fan of is the pit toilet. we had a bad experience with them in the Grampians and it left a lasting impression. kind of tested how long you could hold your breath for...
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #411
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Im not really picking, just observing curiously..lol

A young couple rolled in at about 9 last night and proceeded to put their tent pegs in with a small rock so i wandered over and offered them a mallet.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2018, 10:04 PM   #412
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

https://fordforums.com.au/attachment...1&d=1527163391

https://fordforums.com.au/attachment...1&d=1527163522

My set up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (148.5 KB, 35 views)
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 06:22 AM   #413
Trevor 57
is now there

We are off (with 3/4's of the family) up the Buckland Valley again this arvo, should be a bit quieter this time, only going to 2 overnight, not too bad in a van with a heater - LOL
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2018, 06:51 AM   #414
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
yes, although being fairly 'new' myself, i'm careful not to pick on others much. we had some walkie talkies, but now just use our phones through the car Bluetooth. my wife normally hops out and offers directions over the phone, with it on speaker in the car. works really well.... except one time I accidently pressed the wrong button and hung up on her. how do you think that went

I won't comment on reversing a trailer either, as although I can reverse a trailer, I think confidence in doing so only comes from experience.

I had a quick look at Rocky paddock on the web, and it looks quite nice. A guy at work (the same guy that also recommended mambray ck) goes there fairly regularly and he talks it up, although often he doesn't stay the night. just goes there with his family and sits around a fire for the afternoon. he lives nearby. The only thing that i'm not a fan of is the pit toilet. we had a bad experience with them in the Grampians and it left a lasting impression. kind of tested how long you could hold your breath for...
Pit toilets are terrible. Long drops with sawdust are fine..............
We use an auger, drill a decent hole. Back fill and move every 6-12 months. Not everyone has access to an auger thou..............

This is on our bush block.........
Old 25-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #415
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Looks good.

Im seriously considering upgrading the camper trailer to a late model Jayco camper in the near future.
I've convinced the Wife to head away with me this weekend back to Mambray for a few days as she has a week off, i just love the place and cant get enough of it.
On the way back, after spending an hour packing up the trailer, i might suggest how much more enjoyable camping would be if all we had to do was push the beds in and wind down the roof...
Old 25-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #416
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

A few pics from last weeks trip

Our setup
https://imgur.com/TzHxZEn
There's an Emu in there if you look close enough

Old boy made a friend
https://imgur.com/JAL9OdE
Curing the new Hillbilly cooking set
https://imgur.com/slZ4NOS
Old 25-05-2018, 03:31 PM   #417
prydey
Rob

Quote:
On the way back, after spending an hour packing up the trailer, i might suggest how much more enjoyable camping would be if all we had to do was push the beds in and wind down the roof...
Mate, it really is that simple too

depending on how much stuff you take, there can be a little bit of packing up involved, but most of it can be sorted out once you get home.

if you ever want to take the idea earlier, you're welcome round my place anytime for a 'demo' of my van or just to get an idea.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #418
prydey
Rob

Quote:
if you ever want to take the idea earlier, you're welcome round my place anytime for a 'demo' of my van or just to get an idea.
that should have said, 'take the idea further'!
Old 25-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #419
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Mate, it really is that simple too
Im hoping so Rob.

Quote:
depending on how much stuff you take, there can be a little bit of packing up involved, but most of it can be sorted out once you get home.

Thanks for the offer Rob.

What i like about it is the storage space, we've already got plenty of dinnerware and cooking equipment in our caravan so its just a matter of transfering over to the camper permenantly, then its just a matter of putting the food and clothes in before each trip.
The van we have is a good one and super comfortable but at 19ft is too bulky to be dragging up there for 3 nights which a camper is perfect for.
I gotta say, i've been envious of yours since you first shared pics of it, its a nice outfit and looks even better with the Terri in front now.

I missed out on a cracker of a deal a few weeks ago. We had an elderly couple come in to our yard with a 3 month old Jayco Finch which they hadnt even used since buying from the recent show. They'd decided it wasn't for them and traded it on a poptop van.
It was offered to me for $18k and i was going to take it but i was procrastinating over the size of it being the smallest in the range of fold outs and someone bought it before i'd decided.
We've got a couple of 2000 model Flamingo's in the yard at the moment but they're getting on in age and theres a late model off road Eagle but thats pretty $$ and overkill for our needs so i'll just bide my time until the right one comes up and get it before it hits the yard.

In the meantime, i'll make the most of what we have, make it as painful as possible to pack up and plant the seed..
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #420
prydey
Rob

Quote:
we've already got plenty of dinnerware and cooking equipment in our caravan
didn't realise you had a van. thought you just had the camper trailer.