Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #331
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Default Re: I want to quit smoking but i fail everytime

Yeah im well over it
Mrs said she gave up on 9th Feb 2016, I'm about 3 weeks after that we reckon...I remember it was a Tues and about 10 in the morning

Stupid habit
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2016, 09:15 PM   #332
Lunch
Wait, what?

The missus and I are 3 years in March, she read a book and gradually slowed, I did the turkey
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-01-2017, 12:35 AM   #333
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

In September we were on a US cruise ship and buying a cartoon of pall mall long for $20, $2 a pack of 20 US tax free cigarettes.

My wife has had several attempts the longest being approx 12 to 18 months, this time used Chimpax 7 weeks now no smokes and puts the $90 a week savings into a separate account..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2017, 01:31 AM   #334
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I was a truck driver smoking 40 a day easily, I went cold turkey like most of us and kick the habit. but always had the craving to have a smoke. any not long after I wAS diagnosed with cancer and went through hell to recover I'm talking about five years. the treatment is worse then the disease. but the real wake up was I'm the oldest of four brothers they all continued to smoke, my younger brother died two years ago aged 51 from heart attack and my younger brothers have both had heart attacks and one of them is a fitness freak. the common thing is smoking. GIVE IT AWAY!
Forgive my grammar, I did not spend a lot time in school.

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2017, 08:19 AM   #335
scoupedy

I did it with patches and avoiding other smokers for abit found it easy actually.
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2017, 09:01 AM   #336
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never smoked but had an auntie that finished up on an oxygen bottle between cigarettes [ literally ]. She could not break the habit. Watching her carting the oxygen gear around with her and alternating between that and cigarettes was surreal.
Another auntie lives by the theory that a stubby and cigarette for breakfast is OK and she's mid 80's and looks like she'll live to 100.
My father was told at 50 years old either to stop smoking or be dead in 10 years, he came home, threw the smokes away and never smoked again.

Seems to be an extremely addictive drug but some people have no trouble giving it up whereas others have all sorts of problems.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #337
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post

Seems to be an extremely addictive drug but some people have no trouble giving it up whereas others have all sorts of problems.
So true.

I'm one who can't give up, I go a couple of days and then I turn into an utter rrshole, it's embarrassing and I feel like a slave.

I've tried patches, I keep smoking on them until I throw up from nicotine poisoning, it still doesn't stop me from lighting up another one though.

Best I've done is 9 days and every day I got worse and worse.
The only way I got that far was because I was in hospital and drugged out of my mind.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #338
gtfpv
GT

HMMMM I HAVE A MATE WHO USED TO SAY HE JUST CANT GIVE UP , AND BUGGER IT I ENJOY IT ETC ETC . then he started losing weight about 12 months ago and looking heaps good , then he told us all he has an ulcer under his tongue that wont heal , then he was diagnosed with aggressive mouth and throat cancer which had spread to hios bowels and testicles , then he had surgery , then infection for 6 mths , so he couldnt have chemo or radiation therapy , then he had radiation and chemo after 6 mths . its froze his jaw shut and made his jaw bone like chalk , then he had to get a special machine to put between his teeth to open and shut his mouth 1mm at a time over 3 mths , hopefully not snapping his jaw in the process so that he could finally open his mouth enough to eat . that took 9 mths all up . he is now wondering if it has spread further . Funny i asked him the other day if his cancer is in the family or genetic , and he said the stats say that theres a 91% chance it was caused by smoking . he hasn't really had as much trouble as my other friends quitting smoking . WANT TO KNOW HIS SECRET ???
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2017, 09:06 PM   #339
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv View Post
HMMMM I HAVE A MATE WHO USED TO SAY HE JUST CANT GIVE UP , AND BUGGER IT I ENJOY IT ETC ETC . then he started losing weight about 12 months ago and looking heaps good , then he told us all he has an ulcer under his tongue that wont heal , then he was diagnosed with aggressive mouth and throat cancer which had spread to hios bowels and testicles , then he had surgery , then infection for 6 mths , so he couldnt have chemo or radiation therapy , then he had radiation and chemo after 6 mths . its froze his jaw shut and made his jaw bone like chalk , then he had to get a special machine to put between his teeth to open and shut his mouth 1mm at a time over 3 mths , hopefully not snapping his jaw in the process so that he could finally open his mouth enough to eat . that took 9 mths all up . he is now wondering if it has spread further . Funny i asked him the other day if his cancer is in the family or genetic , and he said the stats say that theres a 91% chance it was caused by smoking . he hasn't really had as much trouble as my other friends quitting smoking . WANT TO KNOW HIS SECRET ???
I can relate, very similar to me. I feel very sorry for him because it isn't over because the side effects from the treatments are on going for the rest of his life.

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2017, 09:16 PM   #340
Gypzy
FG XR6 Tray back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post

My wifes Doctor said to me one time that some people are just hard wired!
I gave up about 7 or 8 years ago. Used Champix that time and haven't looked back. My focus at the time was to support my wife, who again has lung cancer. She dodged a bullet 10 years ago with a major operation, and lengthy Chemo. She has kept smoking and this time, well, the outlook isn't good.
Don't have a half hearted attempt at giving up, it could end in tears. If you have given up, good onya, and stay with it. It could save your life!
Gypzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2017, 10:10 PM   #341
Youth78
Starter Motor

Default Reply: I want to quit smoking but i fail everytime

The problem is that we say , quit smoking. Change this view as " I will slow down till I quit". Doing this will help you from stressing out to prove the envitable ''Quitting. 2nd: Introduce lemon, ginger refresher, or ginger beer or ale, Lime, Orange juice but pear juice at night time. Have more greens or have vita greens powder from the health shop- (you choose the size and how much you want to spend or can afford).
Quitting smoking is like trying to get off drugs- you must do so very carefully and forgetting everyone to push you to quit, you go at your own pace and ask them to support you to your goal. If you slip up, don't bad mouth yourself, review what you need to do and you will achieve it. You Can Do It.
Youth78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2017, 12:00 AM   #342
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

5 years for me ,no way would I ever smoke again, after a fright coughing blood I stopped and made myself a promise if its not already to late smokes are gone forever. Lucky it was an infection only. Yes the smell does stink now didn't realize how much when I was smoking.I also added an exercise program to keep me from sitting on my *** .Swimming is the best you can feel week by week how much fitter you are and that prompts you do keep going, In the end I was swimming 8 ks a week.2 four K sessions, when I turned 50 my wife asked me to slow down so I now do 4 ks a week. Point being when I was smoking I would be lucky to swim 100 metres. .
I tried giving up a number of times and its true never stop giving up.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #343
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Just remember that everytime you have a smoke you are trying to put your body into the same state as a non smoker.
You're killing a craving that non smokers don't get, so you have a cig to get rid of a craving and put your body and mind in to a non smoking state
So in effect, you are smoking to be the same as a non smoker
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2017, 10:55 AM   #344
Sioso
irregular member

I remember when I switched to organic additive free tobacco about 15+ years ago I went through withdrawals - not nicotine withdrawals but withdrawals from the 400+ other chemicals found in commercial grade cigarettes.
Then when you go to give up the organic stuff you are really only dealing with nicotine withdrawals not all the other crap at the same time - it makes it a hell of a lot easier to quit (I know because I quit them about 5 or 6 times before giving up for good).
I used to be able to buy the American Spirit ones but I think it is only Manitou organic that is available now in Australia.
If you are finding it impossible to quit that would be my advice, it takes a week or two to get used to the organic stuff also as most people I know never liked the taste of my organic cigarettes.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #345
Lunch
Wait, what?

I found the habit the hardest this to give up, morning coffee and cigarette, after eating, idle hands etc, do something else to occupy your mind for the first couple minutes after you feel the urge and you're on the home stretch.
You need to want to quit, not just 'I should quit', the timing needs to be right, be strong, be the boss! all you need to do then is save up the days, 1 by 1, get past 10 then tell yourself ' you're only cheating yourself if you have 1 now' set goals, 20 days, 1 month, someone's birthday, go stand next to someone that's smoking and say no, you're only fighting yourself, surely you can win that fight
Old 17-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #346
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I honestly believe that to quit, you need some sort of a motivation that's "stronger" than the urge to smoke. (health, family ..etc..)

Back then I was about a pack a day smoker and getting lectured about health, money ..etc.. would have never made me quit. It wasn't until that I met my fiancée and seeing her with tears on her face begging me to stop that I finally quit cold turkey.
Old 17-01-2017, 11:49 PM   #347
xr8cam

My Dad died in 1999 age 64, smoked all his life. I was 31 then and that had no bearing on my health or choices. I only stopped 4 years ago, aged 44 because the penny finally dropped. Why would any sane person pay money to inhale smoke and blow it out again? There is nothing positive to be gained from smoking and I got so disappointed for treating myself like a chemical dump site that I sacked coffee, sugar and alcohol all in the same year. I just decided to start caring about myself and I also hated being a slave to corporations like CocaCola & Rothmans to name a few. My wife had no bearing on my choices, obviously she is happy that I don't smoke as she never has, but she has never given me grief over it. My life is much better now than it has ever been, especially my moods which are much more stable and the bonus of better sleep. I can still go to the pub if I as I am happy not to drink, I can take my car & with smoking band everywhere it is easy to avoid. Like every success in life, you need to do it yourself for the right reasons. It only ends in tears if you try to please others and deny your true desires, and that's a guarantee. Most of us work our guts out to own a home & hopefully have a comfortable retirement with a totally age inappropriate car. I really want to add years to my life now, and at the end of the day or however hard I try to deny it, there is really only one way to help that happen.

Last edited by xr8cam; 18-01-2017 at 12:04 AM.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2017, 01:01 PM   #348
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Before I quit I was smoking about 8 packs of 40's a week (pack a day with an extra pack spread over the weekend). Back then would cost a bit less than $100 a week if purchased cartons in supermarket (more if purchased single packs in pubs and servos).

Any smokers able to share what 8 packs of 40's would cost per week these days (was ****** Longbeach brand)? Seems every year I hear on the news they have hiked the price again, and I notice most mates that still smoke now roll their own, so figure price of tailor-mades must be getting up there.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #349
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
Before I quit I was smoking about 8 packs of 40's a week (pack a day with an extra pack spread over the weekend). Back then would cost a bit less than $100 a week if purchased cartons in supermarket (more if purchased single packs in pubs and servos).

Any smokers able to share what 8 packs of 40's would cost per week these days (was ****** Longbeach brand)? Seems every year I hear on the news they have hiked the price again, and I notice most mates that still smoke now roll their own, so figure price of tailor-mades must be getting up there.
The tobacconist near me sells cartons of JPS 40's $135.00 a carton - so close to $270 per week for 8 packs.

I'd say packets of 40's at servos would be approaching $40.00.

Almost a year for me now, but I'm cheating with an E-cigarette. Costs me $5.00 a week.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2017, 06:51 PM   #350
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
The tobacconist near me sells cartons of JPS 40's $135.00 a carton - so close to $270 per week for 8 packs.

Genuinely WOW!
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2017, 07:25 PM   #351
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post

Almost a year for me now, but I'm cheating with an E-cigarette. Costs me $5.00 a week.
I've been put onto an American site that sells e-cigs.
About to order a kit now.
Do yours have nicotine?

And yep $44 for a pack of JPS 40's where I live or about $1 a fag is a good rule of thumb for all packet sizes.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 18-01-2017, 08:05 PM   #352
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
I've been put onto an American site that sells e-cigs.
About to order a kit now.
Do yours have nicotine?

And yep $44 for a pack of JPS 40's where I live or about $1 a fag is a good rule of thumb for all packet sizes.
It did have nicotine, but ran-out recently. My Auntie set me up with what I needed, lasted like 10 months. She got everything online from NZ and America from memory - cost something like $140.

Now I get my Tobacco flavoured nicotine from my local Tobacconist - shouldn't be hard to find a dodgy guy selling it.

I would go the online route though because it's even cheaper still and you can buy in bulk and make your own mix. I really don't know much about the subject, I just got lucky with my set-up.
Old 18-01-2017, 08:16 PM   #353
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers.

Yeah just ordered a bunch of stuff I was advised I'd need.
Came to just over $200aud but I probably have enough to keep me going for a year.

It will be interesting to see how well it works.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 18-01-2017, 09:09 PM   #354
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Cheers.

Yeah just ordered a bunch of stuff I was advised I'd need.
Came to just over $200aud but I probably have enough to keep me going for a year.

It will be interesting to see how well it works.
Everyone responds differently. If they ship you a decent device and mixture it's closer to smoking than say gum or patches.
Old 19-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #355
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back in the late '80's my dad had his first heart attack at age 42. Use to smoke a pack to a pack and a half a day. Hasn't had a ciggie since. Pretty big motivation to give up the old heart attack.
I don't think the smoking was the reason of the heart attack just one of the contributing factors. He had a stressful night shift job, smoked, drank 2 to 3 scotches a day and this is when your food was meat and three veg with the meat always fried in lard/fat/oil etc.

Since then he has had another two heart attacks, major bypass surgery, angina attacks and a couple of mini strokes.

Hasn't worked a day since his first heart attack and is now about to turn 74 and should kick on for a few more years when for a while there I didn't think he would last to 60.

I don't smoke as it doesn't interest me but did try it at school trying to be one of the cool kids.

Giving up smoking is easy, a girl at work has done it several times. OK really she falls off the wagon then tries again.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2018, 10:20 AM   #356
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

*bump*

Anybody trying again this year? Two years since I stopped.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #357
Lunch
Wait, what?

4 years in March for me
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #358
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

It's working for me, and I've been a smoker for 41 years.
And getting my liquid nicotine locally the legal way too.

GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #359
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My son in law has been using one of those vapour things for maybe a year now.Doesn,t have any craving for cigs at all apparently.Son was a half pack a day lad and has just got onto the vapour,so will be interesting to see how he goes.Son wasn,t a heavy smoker but had been on the poison for maybe 20 years +.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #360
Itsme
Experienced Member

I just went cold turkey 24 years ago and don't miss them after being a heavy smoker, all in the mind if you really want to quit, well it worked for me.
These days I feel young and fit for a 61 year old and hopefully stay that way for a long time. Hope you all succeed in your attempts.
Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post