Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #211
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Default Re: I want to quit smoking but i fail everytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajoda View Post
I have a similar story to rsgerry. You won't look back once stopping. Everything becomes easier over time, you just need to have your head in the right place. I will never criticize those that do, but would love to see them stop.
Just a word of warning to all. I was off the ciggies for nine years. Then I dropped my guard and started smoking again which lasted six years. I was a heavier smoker second time around.

So, once you stop smoking, never say you want to just have one to remember what it was like. Chances are you will like it and will want to have another one. Then another one. Before you know it you are hooked again.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #212
Spurious

I'm a smoker....don't wanna be!. Even I dislike the smell, makes everything stink (including me!). Can't stand people that congregate outside shops fagin' on or at a school waitin' for their kids. I chew gum when I go to his school, not smoke. Certainly don't want my 12 yr old son to pick 'em up. I have slowly changed my own habits over the last couple of years to cut right back. It's working but always go into panic mode when I get down to my last bit of baccy (rollies). First I stopped smoking in the car & the house. Started having breaky first when I get up THEN have the first cig. Being a self employed gardener with few jobs, I stopped taking baccy to work with me for 2 to 3 hours at a time. I always wash my hands and brush my teeth after a cig & I can tell ya' the novelty's wearin' off...(probably the enamel on my teeth too)! Now it's school holiday's and I get to sleep in a bit, I'd rather sleep in than go outside in the freezin' butt weather to smoke. My doctor simply said to me, "with minimal cravings why do you smoke"?...I didn't have a good answer. My mum say's to me "you sleep for 8-9 hours without a smoke, why spark up again"? You know she's got a right point...darn parents! Honestly I'm down to about 6 - 8 per day now, just can't kick'em though, but it is getting easier. The mind is weak but the motivation is there, especially when I hear my 55 year old neighbor coughing up a lung!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #213
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Hey FlivverFord, just do it! You just about have anyway and good on you
Old 10-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #214
HQ2VY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Obviously you have never smoked then.....

I started smoking when I was 16. I gave up on Jan 20 last year at 5pm - at which stage I was 43. So I had smoked for 27 years, less 9 months somewhere along the way in the early 90s that I stopped for.

So I m no smoke free for the last 17 months, 19 days, 5 hours 37 minutes, and counting. Not one cigarette, cigar, or anything to do with a smoke. I used champix, and I also learnt Pi to 50 decimal places - I recited it each time I felt like a smoke. Now I don't smoke, and I don't remember much past 3.14159265358979
And that was my fault all those years ago at school.. I remember asking JC to hold my durrie for me and before I knew it he was puffing away.

Well done on being smoke free for 17 + months
HQ2VY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #215
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Just a word of warning to all. I was off the ciggies for nine years. Then I dropped my guard and started smoking again which lasted six years. I was a heavier smoker second time around.

So, once you stop smoking, never say you want to just have one to remember what it was like. Chances are you will like it and will want to have another one. Then another one. Before you know it you are hooked again.
Same thing happened to my dad, he quit smoking in the late 70's then had a craving in the late 90's and was back on them again. He managed to quit cold turkey after about 10 years, but his smoking was pretty heavy at the time.

I'm on attempt no 2 for this year, with a little help from champix, starting to work really well, haven't had a smoke in 2 weeks. Hopefully I can keep it up. It helps a lot when you get a lot of support.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #216
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ts50 View Post
Same thing happened to my dad, he quit smoking in the late 70's then had a craving in the late 90's and was back on them again. He managed to quit cold turkey after about 10 years, but his smoking was pretty heavy at the time.

I'm on attempt no 2 for this year, with a little help from champix, starting to work really well, haven't had a smoke in 2 weeks. Hopefully I can keep it up. It helps a lot when you get a lot of support.
Keep at it and the champix.

Also start to hate smokes and how they controlled you and made ya smell.
Worked for me.

Or kiss someone whom just had a smoke, that'll make ya successful
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #217
XA5800
I'd rather be blown

got myself hypmotised 3 weeks ago ,so far working for me, what I like I can still drink with mates without cravings, but having cravings at other time, will never be a slave to a cigerette

Previous rides:
BFGT COBRA number 33, BAGT, BMW 535 E39
80 SERIES LANDCRUISER X2
XAGT 4 DOOR , XC COBRA, XYGT, XA GT COUPE , XYGT , HD Holden sedan,
V6GT CAPRI converted to V8, MAZDA RX2.
XA5800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #218
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Worth revisiting this thread as some AFF members may have made a new year resolution to quit smoking.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #219
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good call Syndrome. Still off the smokes. 6 years now
Tried to get off the chewies again in November, was actually going okay, took a short holiday from work and was off them for 2 weeks. But it does seem work (shift) makes me pick them up again, helps keep me focussed and awake. Lets face it, nicotine does give you a bump.
Felt good to be off them though. I've got some big hols coming up in 2014, will try again.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #220
monte.b

My wife was a heavy smoker ,but had a little heart turn 3months ago ,a bit of plaque in a vein caused the problem ,the doctor told her in no uncertain terms ,the choice is yours ,keep smoking and die or give it up and change you lifestyle as in food ect and you will be fine ,she had a cholesterol of nearly 9,she decided to live ,thank god and the doctor ,she has gone cold turkey ,gets a bit towey now and again but i just try to talk her down ,im an old ex smoker for about 30 yrs so i know what she is going through ,my idea on cigs is the gove should make the cig companies reduce the nicotine content every year for the next 10 yrs and nobody would smoke as the addiction is to the nicotine ,not the tobacco ,hope all the others trying to give up succeed,its a disgusting habit
monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #221
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

nahhh
didnt make one (NY resolution)
gotta stop tho

misses and i go thru a 50gram pouch about every 8 days
**** habbit
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #222
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see this thread exhumed, personally I would like to see it as a sticky.

We all need encouragement from time to time, along with a spoonful of motivation, to do something that we, as individuals, may find a difficult task doesn't come much harder than giving up the fag's.

I see massive support within this thread and some massive achievements........all I say is a big well done from me and never stop trying.

Keep the support going as well, it all helps.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #223
XA5800
I'd rather be blown

It's been 7 months since I gave up & still going strong , saved about 3g, so happy with that , health wise feeling great, its tough to do but the result well worth the effort

Previous rides:
BFGT COBRA number 33, BAGT, BMW 535 E39
80 SERIES LANDCRUISER X2
XAGT 4 DOOR , XC COBRA, XYGT, XA GT COUPE , XYGT , HD Holden sedan,
V6GT CAPRI converted to V8, MAZDA RX2.
XA5800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #224
burkill89
Starter Motor

I cant quit, got off em on the champix for 9 months, gunna get more and see it out
burkill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2014, 12:04 AM   #225
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkill89 View Post
I cant quit, got off em on the champix for 9 months, gunna get more and see it out
That's not true. You can quit, you just don't want to.

I find is fascinating the excuses people use.

If you want to smoke....just smoke......who the hell cares ?
You'll probably make old bones........if you don't, well, you'll more than likely die of cancer.

Not sure whether this will help anyone, but I'll share my experiences.

Wife smoked 40+ a day when I met her.
I put up with it for a couple of weeks then told her to stop. The obvious happened. I flushed them down the Loo....she bought more...kept doing it, until it came ultimatum time.
Quit or I'm gone. She did and we've been happily married for 19 years.

Other side......my old man......never drank more than two beers in one session in his life.
Never smoked.......hated it.
Died from cancer when he was 70.

So here's how I see it.
If you want to smoke........Do it......go nuts......enjoy every single one.
No one gives a rats........just don't inflict your stench on other people. (especially on kids)

If not........quit........stop making excuses and crying for "help"......just stop and stop being a pansy.

Dead easy...not hard.

One way or the other
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2014, 12:35 AM   #226
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

I quit last year been off them for 4 months. I used electronic cigs or e-cigs to quit found it really easy. Probably used e-cig for 6 weeks and just started to stop using it during the day and altogether.

Getting the missus to quit been hard she's stopped smoking but is still using e-cig she enjoys it and and its a ******** cheaper than real cigs so i can't complain.

Quiting was my resolution last year and im glad ive done it.
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #227
SmokinXR50

All,
It has been great reading every ones contribution to this thread.

I was a pack a day smoker (pack of 25's that is) from about the age of 21 through to about 42.
I had tried several times to quit, got as far as the 18 month mark and would cave in.
3 years ago as the price of a pack of 25's was nudging $20 I decided it was time to quit again. For me is was the money that became the driving factor in wanting to quit. In the end it does not matter what is your driving force as long as it is clear in your mind.
This time around I adopted the motto "Never stop, giving up"
I knew that during the early stages I would be prone to stuffing up and having a dart. I made a commitment that each time this happened I had to nominate a new "Quit Date", it may have been the next day or the next week but I had to lock it down. Once I hit that date I would start again.
I used patches and gum initially, then gum then just good old will power.
It took me 6 or 7 attempts before I broke through.
Now 3 years on it has been the best thing I ever did, but at the same time I also acknowledge that "Once a smoker, always a smoker", I am very careful not to let my guard down as I know from previous experience it only takes one dart to get me started.

So to put it simply "NEVER STOP GIVING UP!!!! YOU WILL GET THERE!!!!!!"

Cheers,

Chris
SmokinXR50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #228
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it was a full year for me the person who started the thread

but since a very close family member passed away on christmas eve 2013 me and the wife where very devastated and as a result it happened again

but its only been a few weeks me and the mrs have decided to give it back up after the funeral tomorrow

we just cleaned the house after 2 weeks properly i geuss when someone dies in the family thats close to you all you think about is i dont care about myself anymore
Old 07-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #229
black13
born to be mild

I was born into a family of smokers, so I was destined to smoke, mum & dad used to go crook at me for smoking, but I always said but you smoke so why cant I, they said its bad for you, but they still smoked.
30 odd yrs later the company I worked for paid for your patches, back then you needed a prescription. I picked my date that I was going to stop smoking, smoked my last 3 fags after night shift, went to sleep, woke up a few hrs later & have never smoked again,that was 18 yrs ago.When I gave up I smoked 40+ a day, the money I saved bought me a new car, my parents & sis said I would never give up smoking, I did & was the motivation for all my family to give up.
Its not that hard , you just need to be motivated & once you get over the nicotine addiction its easy
black13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #230
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have to WANT to give up not just because you should
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #231
Robdogg
FORDTORQUE

To all that have given them away and are on their way into a new healthier life your family and friends are proud of you!! Keep up the good work and enjoy the new you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #232
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I agree fully,thinking you should give up because its for the best and actually wanting to give up are the questions you need to ask yourself.
If you want to give up you will succeed!
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #233
pundit
Gazza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pundit View Post
I keep failing at the moment.

But I do have the drive to give it a serious go now, and get signed up at a gym, as my uncle who is only 48 had his second stroke in 18 months last week.
Since this post I have now been smoke free since 24th of November 2012, good old old cold turkey.

Good work to everyone else who has given up
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #234
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

ive got to do it
the 50 bucks a week we spend could come off the mortgage
could save it towards the wedding next year

etc etc
im running out of excuses to not quit
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2014, 11:18 PM   #235
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Trying again to quit now that spring has started. Day 1.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #236
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck.
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2014, 12:02 AM   #237
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I've been quit for over a year now going on two, took up vaping start of the year and love it so much. Could never go back to smoking the death sticks after vaping, probably will give up vaping sometime in the future but in no rush.

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #238
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got a chest infection in July which just about turned into pneumonia. Gave up smoking then ( my 1 to 2 stick a day habit). I'd been vaping for around 4 months prior to July, now I do it instead of smoking. I quite enjoy it, I import the e juice from overseas suppliers, I prefer the e juice from Philippines, plus, this nanny country won't allow the sale of juice with nicotine so I've really no choice.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2014, 12:53 AM   #239
zilo
BANNED

20 bucks a packet...you can pay a small mortgage with that. Or pay a bigger one off 10 years earlier. Food for thought....
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2014, 01:10 AM   #240
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Yep I was spending upwards of $140 a week on smokes. Concorde have you tried fuzionvapour? They do some great stuff, be good to have a chat with you a mate on your vaping experience. Its a great way to stop smoking if your biggest issue is breaking the actual habit of moving the cigarette to your mouth

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060