Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-04-2019, 12:32 PM   #151
cappie

Default Re: 2019 Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post
Thanks. Hopefully my car will be on the same boat. Keep us posted.
There are two ships leaving Zeebrugge for Melbourne - one on 6 Apr (Asian Emperor) due to arrive on 13 May and another on 7 Apr (Don Pasquale) due to arrive 15 May. Let's hope our vehicles are on one of those!
cappie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #152
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappie View Post
Let's hope our vehicles are on one of those!
Hopefully together, so they can while away the time over a game of bridge!
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #153
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I test drove a ST-Line hatch (with torsion beam) and I didn't find it any different to my current Focus Trend. There was a comment in one article that the St-Line suspension, although firmer, was a better match for the torsion beam than the Trend's.

I also didn't notice any hesitation with the transmission, granted it was only a short drive. Selecting R from D didn't show up any hesitation. There's been a lot of comments about this 'delay' by journos all test driving the same car, possibly? The only thing I did notice was the transmission tended to 'hunt' a bit. It wasn't obtrusive but the gear changes were imperceptible. It is an 8-speeder so I assume it's meant to work that way.
Don’t quote me but I read somewhere that previous gen Focus torsion beam setup was standard across the trim levels. Only the premium ones get it now.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #154
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton View Post
Disappointing result for the Focus Trend here, . . .

https://www.caradvice.com.au/725357/...lf-comparison/
Bit of bias for the VW. Pity they didn't take notice of the bad positioning of the 8 inch screen down low, rather than sitting up high on the dash like the Focus and many other new cars on the road. Just look down for a second . . .
Old 04-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #155
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
Don’t quote me but I read somewhere that previous gen Focus torsion beam setup was standard across the trim levels. Only the premium ones get it now.
Sorry, I have to quote you. The previous gen Focus (LZ) has IRS right across the trim levels as standard.

The new Focus will have torsion beams on all hatches. IRS will be found on the ST-Line wagon and Active hatch.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:37 PM   #156
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry, I have to quote you. The previous gen Focus (LZ) has IRS right across the trim levels as standard.

The new Focus will have torsion beams on all hatches. IRS will be found on the ST-Line wagon and Active hatch.
Right, I got IRS and torsion beam mixed up. So this is a cost cutting measure for the new Focus?
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2019, 02:06 PM   #157
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
So this is a cost cutting measure for the new Focus?
I see it more as a case of who they can suck in, to buy a car with torsion beam suspension. Apparently, not the Chinese or mainland Europeans; IRS on all or most models, respectively.

Not knocking the setup as Ford seem to have done an admirable job, but they admit the car won't sell in some countries with a dead axle. Here in Australia, customers only seem to care about if they can connect their phones or have somewhere to put their morning breakfast-in-a-cup. Most wouldn't know how to open the bonnet, let alone check the oil, and some, alas, may become too complacent knowing there is that high tech safety gear in case they can't drive, which sadly seems to be the norm these days.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #158
cappie

Quote:
...Most wouldn't know how to open the bonnet, let alone check the oil,
Speaking of which, you need to pull the lever twice to open the bonnet. There is no longer a bonnet latch on the bonnet itself which you need to lift to open it.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #159
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007
Right, I got IRS and torsion beam mixed up. So this is a cost cutting measure for the new Focus?
They have gone to torsion beam on the lower models cause only now have they been able to get it to work almost as well as IRS. It does save money but it also needed to be done for packaging on the future hybrid models. IRS takes up too much space for the batteries.

https://www.goauto.com.au/news/ford/...-24/74335.html

Mr Blischke said that the torsion beam would not have met Ford’s internal dynamic targets if it was not for strides his engineers have made in making the C2 base significantly stronger, yet lighter than the previous platform. He said breakthroughs in component technologies also helped.

“Once we had that (suspension) discussion going, one of the other requirements was that, well, if we were going to go the path of twist beam, it needs to be and must be the world’s best twist beam,” he said.

“And I believe with the force vectoring technology, we have also proven that we have the world’s best twist beam.”

First seen in the upcoming Fiesta ST hot hatch, the force vectoring technology centres around springs that “apply vectoring forces to the rear suspension, enabling cornering forces to travel directly into the spring for increased lateral stiffness”.

Mr Blischeke admitted that some experienced drivers might still find limitations in the torsion beam setup compared to the IRS, but only in extreme circumstances.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #160
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Speaking of which, you need to pull the lever twice to open the bonnet. There is no longer a bonnet latch on the bonnet itself which you need to lift to open it.
Yes, the dealer mentioned this. Don't know why twice, but it might be due to a regulatory requirement.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:00 PM   #161
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I ordered a Titanium in Desert Island Blue with HUD and Active Park Assist 2, hence the reason it had to be factory ordered given there were none in Australia or on the water at the time of order in late Feb.
Exactly what I want but in Magnetic! The sunroof was on my list but the blind doesn't really block out the sun enough. Ford say six months for me to get what I want now :(
Old 04-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #162
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Ford say six months for me to get what I want now :(
If it helps, before I signed on the dotted line, I was told it was a 5 month wait. Five minutes after I did, the stock manager came over and advised it was 2.5 month wait. So, I think they're not able to give you a precise answer until the actual car is ordered. Which I think is understandable. So, I'd say that 6 month wait is a worse case scenario.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:06 PM   #163
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If it helps, before I signed on the dotted line, I was told it was a 5 month wait. Five minutes after I did, the stock manager came over and advised it was 2.5 month wait. So, I think they're not able to give you a precise answer until the actual car is ordered. Which I think is understandable. So, I'd say that 6 month wait is a worse case scenario.
Fair enough. What spec Active did you go for mate? Congrats BTW!
Old 05-04-2019, 12:20 AM   #164
CatonaPC©

Quote:
What spec Active did you go for mate?
Magnetic. Driver Assist Pack.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #165
CatonaPC©

Quote:
There are two ships leaving Zeebrugge for Melbourne - one on 6 Apr (Asian Emperor) due to arrive on 13 May and another on 7 Apr (Don Pasquale) due to arrive 15 May. Let's hope our vehicles are on one of those!
Don Pasquale arriving in Zeebrugge today. Asian Emperor tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #166
cappie

Quote:
Don Pasquale arriving in Zeebrugge today. Asian Emperor tomorrow.
Where are you obtaining your info?

According to https://www.2wglobal.com/webapps?min...ScheduleRWD%2F
the dates are as I previously advised.

It's interesting to see which ports its stopping at and how long it takes to get from one port to another.

Last edited by cappie; 05-04-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:24 PM   #167
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Where are you obtaining your info?
https://www.marinetraffic.com

As stated, it's arrival date, not departure.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #168
cappie

Quote:
https://www.marinetraffic.com

As stated, it's arrival date, not departure.
Yeah, my bad. Looks as though Asian Emperor arrives and departs the same day, yet Don Pasquale has a bit of a break LOL
Old 05-04-2019, 06:06 PM   #169
fobzee

Well ford came through and sorted out all my delivery issues so im happy

Quote:
Yes, that is a disappointing review, especially with the stuttering transmission issue which caught them out when sneaking across the road.

Have any owners noticed this with their transmissions at all?
It does a little but I don't mind it. Shifting itself is actually really nice and solid and very quick. It's just a bit clunky on really low speed shifts and when first going into D or R. I still prefer it over DSG

These reviews about VW Golfs get tiring - I occasionally drive a mk6 GTI and I test drove a Comforttline and Trendline mk7.5 before buying this and the interior is really not that amazing, its starting to look dated. Plus when you buy a lower model there's all these blank plastic buttons which just constantly remind you that you were a cheapskate lol
fobzee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2019, 09:46 PM   #170
cappie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobzee View Post
Well ford came through and sorted out all my delivery issues so im happy
Ok, that's great news.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #171
cappie

For those that are interested, I've received advice that my car will be in Melbourne on 15 May, so it appears as though it's on the Don Pasquale - Dealership is yet to confirm this but that's what I'm running with for now, based on my previous posts.

Last edited by cappie; 12-04-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #172
CatonaPC©

Quote:
I've received advice that my car will be in Melbourne on 15 May,
I've not heard anything further on mine. I've got a possible three shipping dates 21, 29 and 30 May for a June deliver according to dealer. Hope yours get's in in the 15th.

As an aside, I am quite amazed at the amount of shipping there goes on in the world. It's a lot more intensive than I had imagined. Imagine being on one of these cargo vessels for weeks on end without setting foot on dry land? Have to appreciate the work these sailers do.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #173
cappie

Smile Re: 2019 Ford Focus

Quote:

As an aside, I am quite amazed at the amount of shipping there goes on in the world. It's a lot more intensive than I had imagined. Imagine being on one of these cargo vessels for weeks on end without setting foot on dry land? Have to appreciate the work these sailers do.
Yeah, the amount of vessels on the water at any one time is staggering, just looking at marinetraffic.com (thanks for that link btw).

Fingers crossed that it lands on time and that yours departs at the earliest date possible :-)
Old 14-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #174
mickjf
Starter Motor

I've got a Focus Trend as a loaner while some warranty work gets done on my Fiesta ST. Initial impressions:

The Good

- Rear legroom and boot space are very good
- The engine is an absolute cracker
- The extra tech even on the base model is welcome

The not so good

- Interior in the Trend still feels a bit low rent for $30k on road.
- And about that, $30k on road is way too much, $26-27k is probably more realistic.
- There is a noticeable delay changing from R to D.
- On anything but the Sport setting the auto and engine don't feel like they want to work together. Give me a manual any day.
- Dynamically I think it has lost something going to a torsion beam rear.
- For a car riding on 205/60/16 it isn't as compliant as I'd expect. Honestly my Type R in comfort mode with 245/35/19 feels nicer.

So a bit of a disappointment to be honest. You can see that they've moved it closer to their mainstream opposition and that should (may?) pay off in sales. But for the loyalists who've liked the way the Fiesta and Focus were dynamically brilliant, even in base model form, you'll be left wanting.

Maybe they just expect the ST Line or ST will scratch that itch for people.
mickjf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2019, 10:38 AM   #175
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjf View Post
- Dynamically I think it has lost something going to a torsion beam rear.
What has it lost? I drove the ST-Line with torsion beam and, honestly, 99% of drivers aren't going to care, let alone notice. Here's a link to a test of the ST-line with torsion beam . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_v9sy32Z5I
Old 14-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #176
mickjf
Starter Motor

Quote:
What has it lost? I drove the ST-Line with torsion beam and, honestly, 99% of drivers aren't going to care, let alone notice. Here's a link to a test of the ST-line with torsion beam . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_v9sy32Z5I
Don't get me wrong it's still very good, and I love the torsion beam setup in my Fiesta ST, so I'm not an IRS snob. It just feels as though while they've managed to largely compensate for not having IRS, Ford just haven't quite got it to the level of cohesion on the outgoing model.

There are a couple of sweeping left handers I take regularly that have a few undulations. Where the Fiesta just hooks up and gets on with it, the Focus feels unsettled and a bit jittery when pushed hard. Now that may be down to the tyres and different dampers/ride height compared to the ST Line but I suspect the torsion beam isn't helping.

But as Ford say 95% of people won't care or notice and the extra benefits are well worth it.
mickjf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #177
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjf View Post
Don't get me wrong it's still very good, and I love the torsion beam setup in my Fiesta ST, so I'm not an IRS snob. It just feels as though while they've managed to largely compensate for not having IRS, Ford just haven't quite got it to the level of cohesion on the outgoing model.
I get the impression Ford aren't going to do too much to the Trend for the typical buyer interested in the model. The ST-Line I test drove seemed pretty good to me and I was driving over some pretty undulating patches. So, maybe it's a case of the firmer suspension setup making it a better car to drive. I have read a comment that the firmer set up made it more compliant than the Trend's softer suspension.

Quote:
. . . but I suspect the torsion beam isn't helping.
No, I'd say not, but I suspect the trust vectoring springs (also on your Fiesta) would make it a good deal better than normal.
Old 14-04-2019, 05:38 PM   #178
cappie

Another review on the Trend...
https://www.carsguide.com.au/overste...s-as-a-drivers
Old 14-04-2019, 08:58 PM   #179
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Focus Active delayed.......

https://www.caradvice.com.au/745363/...-delayed-june/

Strange considering they are already in at dealers?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2019, 11:58 PM   #180
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Focus Active delayed.......
Strange considering they are already in at dealers?
Yes, well, the author of the article thinks 'launch' and 'delivery' are interchangeable. The Active is available to buy, right now, so it's definitely already 'launched'. I've seen one in the showroom and have ordered one and it's on its way. I imagine what the article should have said was delivery was delayed until June.

So maybe the author was quoting Ford, but it begs the question, why would Ford want to rob themselves of potential sales by saying a car already available to buy now won't be 'launched' until June. Potential buyers looking for a car right now will give Ford a miss and look elsewhere.