Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 23-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #211
cappie

Default Re: 2019 Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Take the new Mazda 3, for all its improvements in refinement, materials and infotainment, the power-train is seen as lacking in refinement and the luggage space is now sub-par.

Swings and roundabouts.
Not to mention the hideous c pillar in that new Mazda3!
cappie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #212
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton View Post
If anyone is reading this and contemplating taking one for a test drive, do it. I really can’t understand some of these reviews, the Focus ticks so many boxes and is a absolute hoot to drive, and it seems like a no brainer in the class for me.
I also had a chance to take an ST-Line with design pack as a loan car for two days. Aside from the ride being a bit firm for my liking, the car drove as if it was on rails. The Ecoboost engine was very responsive, and while it's not hot-hatch quick, it doesn't struggle to get off the line at the lights. I like engines that give great low end response, and this three cylinder behaves like a much bigger engine.

What I don't like is the black roof lining, lack of rear air vents, and lack of leather. Not even a fully optioned Titanium, which I sat in (but didn't drive) at the dealer, gets full leather, and I think that's a little disappointing at this price. Also lacks full electric passenger seat adjustment or electric tailgate, which are not even available as options. Can't remember if it had full electric driver's seat adjustment, or if it was just the seat base. I would've liked a bit more kit in both the ST-Line and the Titanium, to be honest.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #213
KosCo

A question for Sync 3 owners out there. Today my Sync 3 has started showing "TA" next to the home icon on the top of the screen. Does anyone know what this is and why it has suddenly just started to appear? Can't find anything on it in the owners manual. Thanks for any help.
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2019, 08:02 PM   #214
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post
A question for Sync 3 owners out there. Today my Sync 3 has started showing "TA" next to the home icon on the top of the screen. Does anyone know what this is and why it has suddenly just started to appear? Can't find anything on it in the owners manual. Thanks for any help.
TA could be traffic announcement. It's linked to some FM stations. I'm not even sure it works in Australia. I think when TA is on, the station changes to the particular FM station giving the traffic update, regardless of whether you're tuned to it or listening to a CD or similar. Not really sure, but I've seen this feature on all European cars.

You should be able to switch it off but it might be buried somewhere in SYNC3 settings. SYNC2 also has this feature.

Here's more info on it.

Edit: And here's a page indicating the feature is functional in Australia.

Last edited by CatonaPC©; 23-04-2019 at 08:11 PM.
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #215
KosCo

Thanks to CatonaPC© - your answer set me in the right direction. To turn it on/off is not in the settings and I did quite a bit of hunting around in there but you mentioned the radio station. I went into and looked at the radio station and on each station there is an option to turn the "Traffic TA" on/off. Seems to be an odd place to set this option as you would think it is a global option. Once you turn it on for any one station, it is on for all the stations. I must have accidentally been turned on when manually changing one of the stations and the "TA" appears from then on whether you are listening to the radio or any other audio source. Go figure.
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2019, 10:11 PM   #216
cappie

We have a winner....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sd-3GCzCJjw
Old 23-04-2019, 11:11 PM   #217
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post
"TA" appears from then on whether you are listening to the radio or any other audio source. Go figure.
That's how it's supposed to work. TA will be visible no matter which station you're tuned to. If there is a Traffic Advisory on the station that provides that info, it will switch to that station. Again, I don't know much about it and didn't think it works in Australia, but the links I provided go to information that suggest it does.
Old 24-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #218
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Aside from the ride being a bit firm for my liking, the car drove as if it was on rails.
Yep, agree. At low speeds the 18’s are firm, but the way in which they still cushion impressed me. It’s firm, but I quite liked the way it rode.

Quote:
The Ecoboost engine was very responsive, and while it's not hot-hatch quick, it doesn't struggle to get off the line at the lights. I like engines that give great low end response, and this three cylinder behaves like a much bigger engine.
And again, agree. It’s no hot hatch, but the thrum it produces, and the way it gets up and going is so involving even though it’s not that quick. The chassis balance and handling is great, makes me think the true ST and RS models are going to be incredible.

Quote:
What I don't like is the black roof lining, lack of rear air vents, and lack of leather. Not even a fully optioned Titanium, which I sat in (but didn't drive) at the dealer, gets full leather, and I think that's a little disappointing at this price. Also lacks full electric passenger seat adjustment or electric tailgate, which are not even available as options. Can't remember if it had full electric driver's seat adjustment, or if it was just the seat base. I would've liked a bit more kit in both the ST-Line and the Titanium, to be honest.
And again, couldn’t agree more, and this is my problem. The car ticks so many boxes, but the way Ford has specified the vehicle makes me scratch my head. I think if the Titanium had full leather, front sensors standard like any other Titanium and a power adjustable passenger seat it’d be fine, but the ST-Line needs to be specified like the ST-Line X in the UK, which gets:

- Partial leather seats
- Extra padding and stitching on the center console (sounds like a **** but it makes the cabin feel more premium)
- Electric driver’s seat
- Available front sensors, HUD and B&O sound
- Rear armrest

If the ST-Line had this gear it’s be a pretty straight forward purchase. At this point I’m leaning towards Titanium, but still undecided.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #219
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Y I think if the Titanium had full leather, front sensors standard like any other Titanium and a power adjustable passenger seat it’d be fine, but the ST-Line needs to be specified like the ST-Line X in the UK, which gets:

- Partial leather seats
- Extra padding and stitching on the center console (sounds like a **** but it makes the cabin feel more premium)
- Electric driver’s seat
- Available front sensors, HUD and B&O sound
- Rear armrest

If the ST-Line had this gear it’s be a pretty straight forward purchase. At this point I’m leaning towards Titanium, but still undecided.
Woah! My mistake! I thought the Titanium would have had full leather seats.

On the matter of electric tailgate, I note the European version of the Active has it but it's not available here. One of the things I checked was to make sure my wife could reach the tailgate grab handles (she can with a stretch) but it would have been more sensible to have it in a car that's jacked up like the Active.

One issue I have is that the Option Packs don't seem to make much sense. For example, the Design Pack includes Adaptive LED headlamps and Automatic high beam which really should be part of the Driver Assist Pack. And the Design Pack might have also been bundled with the panoramic roof.

But, in reality, if one options up these vehicles and then had to wait 3-6 months for one, why package the options? Wouldn't it be better to just to let the buyer pick and choose what they want. I would have like the privacy glass that comes with the design pack but not the 18" wheels. I would have also like the electric tailgate but that's not even an option. So we're stuck with Ford's idea of what the customer wants rather than giving the individual customer the option to get what they want!
2 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #220
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post
I thought the Titanium would have had full leather seats.
It's an odd omission, especially when the Cerato, i30, Mazda 3, Golf Highline, pretty well everything bar the Corolla ZR has full leather as standard. Full leather isn't a deal breaker for me, ironically only the Vignale in Europe gets full leather. And lovely stitching on the dash, it's very posh for a Focus.

I didn't realize the Active got a powered tailgate overseas either. Not even the all-new Mercedes-Benz A-Class gets that, then again the Active is more like a GLA-Class I guess, which gets it as standard.
Old 24-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #221
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

If I were to purchase a Wagon, a Power Tailgate would be top of the list, for me.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2019, 05:15 PM   #222
mickjf
Starter Motor

Well I just handed back the Trend loaner after nearly 2 weeks and jumped straight back into my Fiesta ST (with fixed gear selectors).

One thing that I didn't really notice about the Focus is the seat is definitely lower than the last Fiesta and Focus. A much nicer driving position.
mickjf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2019, 10:14 PM   #223
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...parison-review

Very positive review of the Focus, have to agree with what they say about driver involvement, the Focus is just brilliant!
Old 25-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #224
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://byrneford.com.au/tkxs-617347...ocus-2019.html

Well if we ever wanted proof the Ambiente spec was coming to Australia, this is it. Listed as a 1.5 petrol with a six speed auto. Wonder when this gets officially announced, and if it’s sourced from China or from Germany?
Old 25-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #225
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Well if we ever wanted proof the Ambiente spec was coming to Australia, this is it. Listed as a 1.5 petrol with a six speed auto. Wonder when this gets officially announced, and if it’s sourced from China or from Germany?
That's a strange one. I did a VIN check and it says it's a 1.5 Litre Dragon Y2 rated 120PS (89Kw) of power. This would likely appeal to fleet buyers, I imagine.

Last edited by CatonaPC©; 25-04-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 25-04-2019, 02:51 PM   #226
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Type it into the link below, Ford said the vehicle had been homogenised for the market but were unsure if they’d launch. I’d bet it was in the brief from the start. Same engine is in the Chinese spec Focus, and they’ve added both automatic and manual variants to Green Vehicle Guide. Funny thing is, if we get this from China, it’ll have IRS as China don’t produce the cheaper suspension from my understanding.

https://www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au/
Old 26-04-2019, 02:33 AM   #227
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
1.5 Litre Dragon Y2 rated 120PS (89Kw) of power.
That's going to be s-l-o-w.

After the Focus ST-Line, I had the misfortune of having a naturally aspirated EcoSport as a loan car. I had to literally floor the throttle before it'll accelerate at a respectable rate, and even then it still couldn't get up to 100km/h by the end of the freeway on-ramp.

Oh well, you win some, you lose some.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #228
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About the same as my wife’s 2012 Fiesta 1.6
93kw
159nm
Probably be tolerable with a six speed manual
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2019, 10:39 PM   #229
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Fords confidential dealer release listed the ambiente... I can’t remember the details but it’s a fleet orientated spec.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #230
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope it’s not a Powershift auto.

So no manual?
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #231
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
I hope it’s not a Powershift auto.

So no manual?
No, it's a conventional torque convertor automatic gear box, not the dual-clutch transmission Ford called 'Powershift'.

There is no manual on offer, because, quite frankly, most buyers don't want them. Apparently F1 driver, Max Verstappen can't even drive a manual. (See under 'Stick Shift')

But if you want to hold out for a manual you might get one in the upcoming Focus ST.

Even though I'd prefer a manual, when it comes to trading or selling the car on the used car market, you'll wipe out 90% of prospective buyers. Fortunately, the new slush box on the Focus comes with paddle shifters so at least I can pretend to be Max Verstappen.
Old 29-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #232
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Fords confidential dealer release listed the ambiente... I can’t remember the details but it’s a fleet orientated spec.
Interesting.

So what happened to Ford's "we don't do no-profit fleet sales" line??
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2019, 11:16 AM   #233
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Interesting.

So what happened to Ford's "we don't do no-profit fleet sales" line??
I'm not convinced they will even bring it in. They did homologate it but decided against it, according to a recent article. Probably waiting to see how the other models sell. Surpassing expectations so far apparently, so maybe they might decide to bring it in?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #234
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Surpassing expectations so far apparently
Based on what information? My personal observation given I've bought one is that Ford are going to have trouble selling these (unlike their SUVs/Utes). The only glimmer of hope is the wagon and Active models, but I'm sceptical that these will sell in any appreciable volume either. The small car segment is dominated by the asian car manufacturers and even their volume sellers are all SUVs.

Ford's only hope is to convince prospective buyers that the Focus is a step above the usual homogenised offerings from Asia. So far, they're not doing too much promoting the car let alone convincing buyers that the car is worth the 3-4 month wait.

I think the Ambiente might make a show for fleet buyers.

There is also one other factor to consider. Ford wouldn't want to get caught with their pants down when (as opposed to 'if') fuel prices go up. So, I'm sure they're wary about putting all their eggs into the SUV basket.
Old 30-04-2019, 05:48 PM   #235
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you are right they have never really pushed the Focus They seem to rely upon a couple of models in their range. The fuel use of the focus is not the greatest especially against iother Euro sourced cars but the handling is good
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #236
CatonaPC©

Well, it appears my Focus is on its way. Just got an email saying it loaded on the ship. That would make it coming out of Zeebrugge on Don Quijote. Hopefully anyone waiting for their car will find theirs on the same ship.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #237
cappie

For those who are interested, I too have received an update today. My vehicle is on Don Pasquale and is due to dock in Melb on 14 May at 2am. The long wait is nearly over...
2 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2019, 03:58 PM   #238
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappie View Post
. . . is on Don Pasquale and is due to dock in Melb on 14 May at 2am. The long wait is nearly over...
Well, that's probably a relief for you because they had you believing it would be shipped on the 11 May. It's rounding the 'Horn' right now. Mine is scheduled to arrive on 4 June which is a lot sooner than I had expected.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:04 PM   #239
cappie

Quote:
Well, that's probably a relief for you because they had you believing it would be shipped on the 11 May.
Yeah, a relief is an understatement LOL.
Great to hear that yours is underway too. So much for our cars playing bridge together tho hehe.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #240
cappie

Does anyone know what the current version of maps is in Sync 3?