Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 26-06-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
Des Flurane

Question Tyre Size Choice

Could any of the drag gurus help me out please.
Both MT ET Street 16" and 17" tyres will fit my BA, which should I choose and why? Or does it not matter?
I have a standard diff atm, which is likely to change in the next 6 months. Standard brakes.
I need to improve my 2.3 60fts ;-)
Thanks.

Last edited by Des Flurane; 26-06-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Des Flurane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 01:39 PM   #2
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Someone told me just yesterday (and he is a drag racer), while we were talking tyres. That you should get the biggest tyres you can, even if you have to sacrifice some width for diameter..

But this may be wrong. I am still learning

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on what your trying to do. By that I mean are your trying to 60 faster or obtain a higher top speed. The taller tyre will have a higher top speed but will impact on your 60's. The smaller tyre will help the 60's but won't help top speed. Smaller tyre can make a 3.45 diff act like a 3.5/3.6:1 ratio. A taller tyre might make a 3.45 diff react like a 3.2/3.3:1 ratio. You can get some quite tall tyres which I have no doubt would make a 3.45 ratio effectively a 3.0:1 ratio.

Most like myself just come up with a happy medium. Although I'm going to try a 28" tall tyre on a 15" rim next. I've currently got a 26" tall tyre on a 16" rim.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
Des Flurane

Now I'm confused?
I will be getting more power with the installation of my headers today and a custom tune this Thursday, so I guess it's the 60' time Im needing at the moment, as traction seems to be an issue on the track I run, Meremere, Auckland.
The 275 is about the same diameter and the 255 a 1% increase. Not really much to choose there.
Would the higher profile on the 16" of 50 give better performance?
What does everyone else run on there BAs?
Old 26-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate have you tried just letting some air out of your standard tyres.say drop them down to about 20 /22 psi.
FS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

A larger sidewall will give more grip, 60 as opposed to 50 in equal widths, but unless you have the right gear ratio a tall tyre can bog the car and hurt your top end a little by not letting you use your top gear fully.
I am in this situation and use a 26" tyre. even with that I cross the line at 900rpm under what I should, a 28" tyre will make this worse.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 05:47 PM   #7
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des Flurane
Now I'm confused?
I will be getting more power with the installation of my headers today and a custom tune this Thursday, so I guess it's the 60' time Im needing at the moment, as traction seems to be an issue on the track I run, Meremere, Auckland.
The 275 is about the same diameter and the 255 a 1% increase. Not really much to choose there.
Would the higher profile on the 16" of 50 give better performance?
What does everyone else run on there BAs?
When i had MT streets I ran the 255/50/16 (26") managed a 1.816 60' on them, but Blueblooded ran the 275/40/17 he managed a 1.75 60'. Most of the boss guys run the 16's and as nugget said the bigger side walls (255/16's) would be more benifical for the 60' but both sizes seem to get good results.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 06:41 PM   #8
Chris
AFF.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83
Someone told me just yesterday (and he is a drag racer), while we were talking tyres. That you should get the biggest tyres you can, even if you have to sacrifice some width for diameter..

But this may be wrong. I am still learning
Careful here - a drag tyre should be the narrowest required for the job.

a large tyre will eat kilowwatts for brekky.

the best tyre for your application is a 255/16 MT ET street on a widened 16"stock rim.

start it at 26lbs, and drop it in 2lb increments till the wheelspin stops.

Good luck mate and have fun!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 07:26 PM   #9
Des Flurane

Thanks Chris.