Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #181
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Its all relative to the situation ........ ? Many have bought the FG 5.4 and none are too disappointed or you kicking yourself now? If people thought that way, no one would buy a new car ...... ever. Wont stop me buying an FG before the FG11 .... or I might wait and get a better deal on a run out model.

Would be more disappointed if they bought out the Territory and was superseded within a couple of months.
Nah but both my FGs are 2 years old... To buy one and have it superceeded within a few months is NOT nice...

HSV did it to Sportswagon buyers with the E2.. Alot of them cracked up.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #182
Renegade

Ok here's a question that I don't think anyone will be able to answer just yet but anyway... Will there be a premium on the diesel engine? If so, How much?? 3-4 thousand maybe??

Hopefully they keep the premium reasonably close to the petrol otherwise diesel sales might suffer a little.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #183
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
If the diesel is giving around 30% better fuel economy then why would you need a bigger tank?
I've allready posted this in another topic about the Terri but same question, so here is my reply, cut and paste,

Because it is an SUV, designed to be an all round vehicle and specially designed to take the family touring, and touring to me and most people mean's doing klm's, now whether that be around Australia or just on a quick holiday up the coast, having the bigger tank mean's touring becomes a whole lot eaiser espcially if touring in remote places, so you dont have to plan your trip around refuelling or when and where you can.
So an SUV like the Territory should be tackling the likes of the Toyota Prado which has a huge 150L tank, and is renowed for it's touring capabilties.
If they want to make hey it would be a plus considering the type of auidence the Territory is designed at.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #184
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDAH
Now you have got me

I wouldn't have a clue to be honest. How would you tell the difference?
Well, resistive is based on pressure so you can use anything to touch it and it will work.
To test for resistive you could try to use a pen (or anything other than your skin and fruit/veg) to apply pressure and see if it works.

Capacitive will only work with skin/water/fruit/veg and a couple of other things.

Also, resistive screens need to move slightly to work, so if you catch the screen in a reflection and press it, and the reflection changes shape slightly, then it is resistive. Capacitive on the other hand do not move at all.

Cheers.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #185
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
No. Same tank I think.
That's a shame, but thank's mate.
Old 16-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #186
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
As WOTDAH posted in the other thread, having a larger tank would compromise ground clearance.
Old 16-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #187
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENEGADE
Ok here's a question that I don't think anyone will be able to answer just yet but anyway... Will there be a premium on the diesel engine? If so, How much?? 3-4 thousand maybe??

Hopefully they keep the premium reasonably close to the petrol otherwise diesel sales might suffer a little.
Diesel sales outperform Petrol in vehicles such as Prado/Hilux etc, and they are more expensive to buy outright then the petrol version's aswell.
Aslong as the vehicle itself perform's and tick's all the boxes, I can see the diesel performing quite well in sales, I would also imagine there would be a premium over petrol.
As this vehicle is desinged to be a SUV I can see diesel being the big advantage here.
Old 16-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #188
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Premium for diesel wont hurt it providing it performs...

Diesels are very popular for the sheer yuppie factor, infact I think we should see Territory back up around 1500 units a month + with Diesel. I just hope government supports it a little more now its greener then Klugar!! (well it should be with diesel).
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #189
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
As WOTDAH posted in the other thread, having a larger tank would compromise ground clearance.
True, but ground clearance has also been mentioned before as one of the Territory's downfall's, hopefully it is something they can look into for the future ?.
Old 16-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #190
fnd
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
You must be kidding mate, have you had your eyes tested lately ? The ford escape looks like it was designed and made 20 years ago .
Oh, excuse me for expressing an opinion! I'll just sit here and read your posts, so I know how to think in future.
fnd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #191
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

A bigger tank would be nice. If the diesel is especially frugal this might offset the need for a bigger tank somewhat. I certainly enjoy the fact that the Falcon ute has a bigger tank than sedan, especially now they have completely messed up the fuel filler design on the FG ute that makes it a complete P in the A to fill !!!
Old 16-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #192
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Don't get me wrong, a bigger tank option might be a nice feature but I doubt it would need to be 150 L.
If the fuel economy is anything like the Kia Sorento, the diesel Territory should get close to 7 l/100 klm
on light cruising which means close to 1000 km range on the standard tank...

Now if Ford upgrades the towing capacity to 3,000 Kg and people start towing bigger trailers,
the diesel's economy will drop significantly. If you're towing a big trailer like that then some of
those 20 litre fuel jugs wouldn't take up too much room and eliminate the need for the 150 L tank.

No doubt even if you did put a 150 litre tank in it, there would still be people ****ing and
moaning that it doesn't have a full frame like the Prado or some other perceived impediment...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #193
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

The F6 ute can manage 9 litres per 100km on steady cruising at 110km/h. I can do Melbourne to Sydney on a single tank if I go easy on the right foot. Our N/A Territory at the same speed would be lucky to dip into the 12s. If the diesel can get under 10 it will be doing well in my opinion. It would have to do it really to make it worth going diesel over the current engine.
Old 16-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #194
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
No doubt even if you did put a 150 litre tank in it, there would still be people ****ing and moaning that it doesn't have a full frame like the Prado or some other perceived impediment...
Exactly.

Also bear in mind the predominant use of Territories in the real world is fleet and family shopping trolley use...if you want to go take on the Canning Stock Route with your you-beaut 150 litre tanked Prado then go and get one and spare us your complaining.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #195
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Considering the 2.7L in the Disco which is somewhat 400-500kg heavier than the Territory, and it has a combined economy of 10.1, I would say the new 2.7L Diesel in a lighter vehicle would reveil much better than 10L.
Old 16-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #196
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Rumor has it the average is around 8 l/100km.
Old 16-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #197
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope Ford upgrade the transfer case to one that is a lockable rather than the current one. For it to even compare to a Prado/Pathfinder or Pajero it will need a H4/L4 transfer case.
Old 16-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #198
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Exactly.

Also bear in mind the predominant use of Territories in the real world is fleet and family shopping trolley use...if you want to go take on the Canning Stock Route with your you-beaut 150 litre tanked Prado then go and get one and spare us your complaining.
I take it this is directed at me,
1'stly, the Territory is aimed as an SUV, just because alot of people might use them as Torak tractor's does not mean that Ford intended them to be used predominantly as family shopping as you say, SUV vehicles have been the key factor for many manufacuters in recent times as the demand is high for such vehicles, why because the average family is looking for a vehicle that fit's the bill, weekday comuting and weekend get away's, Ford have realised this and have fallen behind with the release of the Diesel.
The Toyota Prado is one of Australia's best selling vehicle's, you have to ask yourself why??
It is also clasified as an SUV, but has more option's to suit the need's it requires for the user that predominatly users such a vehicle as you so call like to say.
All I am saying is it would be nice to have such thing's that I believe would suit such a vehicle and fit in this segment.
If you think the average joe buy's a Territory to run the kids to shopping etc in the CBD, then one has to ask the question,
Why the need for such a large SUV to do so ?.
So spare us your complaining and get a vehicle that suit's the need's of such a comute, which a Territory does not fit this bill , Does it ?
Old 16-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #199
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde
I hope Ford upgrade the transfer case to one that is a lockable rather than the current one. For it to even compare to a Prado/Pathfinder or Pajero it will need a H4/L4 transfer case.

I'm sure this is the first thing all the soccer mom's will be looking for.
Old 16-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #200
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

If you think the average joe buy's a Territory to run the kids to shopping etc in the CBD, then one has to ask the question,
So spare us your complaining and get a vehicle that suit's the need's of such a comute, which a Territory does not fit this bill , Does it ?
Not having a go at you but, according to the late Geoff Polites the RWD Territory was
the replacement for the Station wagon - at least private buyers and that where most of
them went when Territory was peaking in 2005 at near 2,000/month, around 60% were RWDs.
Territory is clearly more biased towards soft-road work like Kluger where as Prado is for more serious work.

What we do need to combat Prado is the T6 Everest SUV....

Last edited by jpd80; 16-12-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 16-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #201
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
1'stly, the Territory is aimed as an SUV, just because alot of people might use them as Torak tractor's does not mean that Ford intended them to be used predominantly as family shopping as you say, SUV vehicles have been the key factor for many manufacuters in recent times as the demand is high for such vehicles, why because the average family is looking for a vehicle that fit's the bill, weekday comuting and weekend get away's, Ford have realised this and have fallen behind with the release of the Diesel.
The Toyota Prado is one of Australia's best selling vehicle's, you have to ask yourself why??
It is also clasified as an SUV, but has more option's to suit the need's it requires for the user that predominatly users such a vehicle as you so call like to say.
All I am saying is it would be nice to have such thing's that I believe would suit such a vehicle and fit in this segment.
Don't tell me, tell the 90,000 people that bought them and use them for that purpose - Toorak tractors et al. And yes, the Territory was conceived as a replacement for the traditional family sedan and wagon to give buyers an alternative to the BOF 4x4 SUV's like the Prado - because people wanted the benefits of the comfort and high driving position without the need for off road capability and other vices of a 4x4 (which is borne out by the fact that 60% of Territories sold are RWD only).

What's more, I do not see this changing. Just the volumes sold and engine choices.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #202
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Not having a go at you but, according to the late Geoff Polites the RWD Territory was
the replacement for the Station wagon - at least private buyers and that where most of
them went when Territory was peaking in 2005 at near 2,000/month, around 60% were RWDs.
Territory is clearly more biased towards soft-road work like Kluger where as Prado is for more serious work.

What we do need to combat Prado is the T6 Everest SUV....
Territory = Soft Road
Everest = Off Road
We need both vehicles to command 20-25% market share.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #203
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the terri isn't and will never be a true offroader and suggesting otherwise is plain silly, its a toorak tractor nothing more nothing less and I will never consider one, if I want an offroad vehicle it won't be a terri there is many better suited offroad vehicles available..

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #204
Falcman0o7
Banned

nice~!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #205
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
Well, resistive is based on pressure so you can use anything to touch it and it will work.
To test for resistive you could try to use a pen (or anything other than your skin and fruit/veg) to apply pressure and see if it works.

Capacitive will only work with skin/water/fruit/veg and a couple of other things.

Also, resistive screens need to move slightly to work, so if you catch the screen in a reflection and press it, and the reflection changes shape slightly, then it is resistive. Capacitive on the other hand do not move at all.

Cheers.
Well if that's the case then it is resistive.
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #206
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well if that's the case then it is resistive.
Alright, thanks.
Old 17-12-2010, 01:31 AM   #207
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even though it's long in the tooth, I still think the current Terri is a good looking SUV. Simple clean design.

I like the new direction. Hope it looks much like the artist impression.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #208
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watto_Cobra
Even though it's long in the tooth, I still think the current Terri is a good looking SUV. Simple clean design.

I like the new direction. Hope it looks much like the artist impression.
My thoughts exactly! IMO, diesel should have come with SY MkII, but alas we are getting all these changes in one go which is basically giving us a whole(-ish) new model that could potentially last a long time without needing to be refreshed. And I doubt Ford have had a large budget in this model anyway! (Does anyone know roughly?)

Do remember, IF the next Falc / Territory take a turn for what some call the worst, it would be a disastrous waste if Ford introduces a $800M upgrade a few years before the particular model (in its then current form) disappears...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #209
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

So what do we think this model will be called?

Presumable it will be SZ as we have had SX, SY, SYII.

Though in my opinion it would have made more sense if the identical in appearance SY was actually SXII and the mild facelift that is called SYII was actually just SY.

Ford never seem to do what makes most sense
Old 17-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #210
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
The F6 ute can manage 9 litres per 100km on steady cruising at 110km/h. I can do Melbourne to Sydney on a single tank if I go easy on the right foot. Our N/A Territory at the same speed would be lucky to dip into the 12s. If the diesel can get under 10 it will be doing well in my opinion. It would have to do it really to make it worth going diesel over the current engine.
Mate at a nice 100/110km/h freeway drive with 6 in the Territory and the back loaded with overnight gear I can just get in to the high 9's in ours. This was Geelong to Drouin return, through Melbourne but all of freeways. I reckon I could probably beat it on a flatter journey.

Every time mine has been in for a service, the have reprogrammed the PCM and we've seen an improvement in economy.

I reckon that at 8.5L/100km (I've heard this figure as a rumour) out of the existing 75L tank will give about 880km range. For an SUV, this is pretty good.