Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #61
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Euro cars - image match reality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Franco, What you need is right under your nose.....
a Cav, Sportmans' edition
Ironically before I bought my Caprice I was trying to chase up an AU Fairlane with a 302W and couldn't find one around the same price as the Caprice.

A week after I buy the Caprice I get a customer in my shop with a low km AU Fairlane with a 302W that needed an alternator, looking to sell
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #62
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

Have just acquired a Brocksport 850 wagon with wobbly autobox; no need for it, no value in it, too young for historic rego, seems too good for scrap.
Is that another name for the T5R?
Those T5R appear be to increasing in value, especially good condition wagons. Could be worth saving...

FC, is there some Dutch mixed in with the wog? Cause who buys a low spec 7series?! Tbh I think you’ll be just as disappointed with the underwhelming 7 series V12, which isn’t much different performance wise to the 4.4 v8.
For ultimate 90s Euro luxury give the v12 S class a go, which has an extra 50kw, 100nm and super flat torque curve. I have one in a W140 and it has no drama spinning the factory 255 18 inch rears off the line, despite weighing 2.3 tonne.
The 7series v12 is more comparable to the 740i or S500 V8s IMO.

After 17 years of mostly drama free Euro and Falcon ownership, the other Sunday I was bitten hard. Porsche Cayenne V8 made some horrible timing chain noise on start up and shut down. Now turns over but won’t fire. Hooked up to scanner and has codes for both cam sensors. Suspect timing chain has jumped. Got half way thru checking timing before having to shoot away for work... not the easiest thing to work on.

smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #63
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Those T5R appear be to increasing in value, especially good condition wagons. Could be worth saving...

FC, is there some Dutch mixed in with the wog? Cause who buys a low spec 7series?! Tbh I think you’ll be just as disappointed with the underwhelming 7 series V12, which isn’t much different performance wise to the 4.4 v8.
For ultimate 90s Euro luxury give the v12 S class a go, which has an extra 50kw, 100nm and super flat torque curve. I have one in a W140 and it has no drama spinning the factory 255 18 inch rears off the line, despite weighing 2.3 tonne.
The 7series v12 is more comparable to the 740i or S500 V8s IMO.

After 17 years of mostly drama free Euro and Falcon ownership, the other Sunday I was bitten hard. Porsche Cayenne V8 made some horrible timing chain noise on start up and shut down. Now turns over but won’t fire. Hooked up to scanner and has codes for both cam sensors. Suspect timing chain has jumped. Got half way thru checking timing before having to shoot away for work... not the easiest thing to work on.

The original owner was one of the high ups from Linfox apparently, I guess the bean counters at Linfox drew the line at $180,000 for his company car so he ended up with the povvo spec tiny V8

V12 form it's only 240KW/500NM in an E38 with M73 and less in M70 form in the older E32.

S600L looks the goods, so woggy

Talking about old man cars, I'd love a 1990s Bentley Turbo R, they're god damn beasts:

I could look like Carl William's North London cousin.

I'm generally anti British cars (especially British Fords) but one of these would have a place in my imaginary garage.

Also I have a fetish for BMW 850CSi:

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 01-12-2019 at 02:19 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #64
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
The 850 I have is a funny one, 2.4, no turbo and auto box. Nil rust and reasonable paint. Where would I find the time and motivation to do anything with it?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2019, 08:51 PM   #65
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
I've acquired a '99 S40 Volvo for fun. Car has been in the family since new. Only thing I've had to repair is the electric aerial, $19, and replace a slightly sagging headlining!
It's 20 years old 243k, and on original shock absorbers, bushes, rack, and rear brakes. No rust, all electrics work, doesn't use oil, no rattles.
Oh driver's leather seat has a year in the swab...which is expensive.
I've since put 18's in it and lowered it, about to adapt some big *** brembos and put a BTCC wing in the back. Will modifying it ruin it's longevity?
Great car and served mum well for 20 years.
JP
That is probably because that S40 is actually a Mitsubishi Carisma.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2019, 08:56 PM   #66
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'm at the point where I'm shopping around for a new daily, I keep coming back to FG MKII Falcon Ecoboost or VF Commodore - the Commodore would essentially double my fuel cost as I'm coming from a TDCI Focus that does 5.5L/100km all day every day regardless of how much I beat on it.

I've been considering 2010 onward BMW 330d - 3L TD I6, it would be good on fuel and still pack a punch with some basic mods and tuning, I'm not interested in driving some torqueless ****heap (inb4 SIDIDIDIDI V6 jokes) as I want something with some balls but its still good on fuel within reason.

But its a Euro, and Euro means expensive.

I keep coming back to Falcon or Commodore
VF Commodore prices are a bit out there
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2019, 09:02 PM   #67
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Chicks attracted to Euro cars

Chicks attracted to Fords

Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2019, 09:18 PM   #68
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
VF Commodore prices are a bit out there
The Calais V and SV6 variants are fairly cheap on the second hand market for something good - $20K-$25K
Old 01-12-2019, 10:26 PM   #69
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's how I got my 7 series, it was a customer's car with the water cooled alternator housed inside the block.

Alternator RRP $2500
8+ hours labour to replace

Mind you it also crapped out it's timing chain guides at 130,000km

E38 with an LS engine is a cracker idea, absolutely.
Cripes, that 8+ hours and $2500 cost is up there with birthing a child.

LS not a bad idea - how about Barra swap on every Euro car that goes off warranty?

Edit: how does one go about making the alternator internal and water cooling it? I could link a 'best of Pikachu' vid but you get the point.

Added for background info:

https://tankandafvnews.com/2015/11/1...r-reliability/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
I'm at the point where I'm shopping around for a new daily, I keep coming back to FG MKII Falcon Ecoboost or VF Commodore - the Commodore would essentially double my fuel cost as I'm coming from a TDCI Focus that does 5.5L/100km all day every day regardless of how much I beat on it.

I've been considering 2010 onward BMW 330d - 3L TD I6, it would be good on fuel and still pack a punch with some basic mods and tuning, I'm not interested in driving some torqueless ****heap (inb4 SIDIDIDIDI V6 jokes) as I want something with some balls but its still good on fuel within reason.

But its a Euro, and Euro means expensive.

I keep coming back to Falcon or Commodore
Have watched son's mates nearly all come around to the FG, after mechanical heartache in other cars. When looking, I told him to buy a good one, buy it once, don't be like the old man swapping out a Kingswood every 2 years. He replied those Kingswoods are all worth 25K and you should have kept them - touche. Edit: when we were looking the local FGs were asking a bit more than the Commy VF, probably because harder to find, they were shifting from dealers more quickly too.

With the Ecoboost, do you still get the same carbonation behind the inlet valves that the Euros get? Brilliant car otherwise.

Last edited by Sprintey; 01-12-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2019, 11:30 PM   #70
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post

With the Ecoboost, do you still get the same carbonation behind the inlet valves that the Euros get? Brilliant car otherwise.
You get it with every direct injection engine, they have a process to clear it up like Subaru's 'upper engine cleaner' stuff.

Ecoboost could be an interesting daily - they're cheap as and just about stacked 10 high at the tip cause no one wanted them.

If they can be tuned it could be a good economical daily and nice long distance tourer with some balls with some minor mods.

Have been using the old boys Fiesta ST for interstate trips, good on fuel, fun to drive but doing 600km drives before stopping I get out with a sore back and just about need to wear a sports bra to keep my man boobs from slapping me in the face on our lovely crappy roads

Mondildo wagon was on the consideration list until I saw it has a DSG.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2019, 02:10 AM   #71
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
The 850 I have is a funny one, 2.4, no turbo and auto box. Nil rust and reasonable paint. Where would I find the time and motivation to do anything with it?
Reads as though it needs to be sent for scrap (unfortunately), even if the name alludes to something it isnt.
My mate had the 850 successor when we were at school, late 90s S70, also with the 2.4 non turbo. With one of the best OE equiped stereos for the time (back in the mid 2000s,). He owned it for a further 7 years and despite the theme of thread, the only drama he had was a MAF sensor - $350 or so, but before the days of online shopping.

With my Cayenne dying, I looked for something cheap until I figure out what to do.
The options I wanted were AU-BF wagon, pre V70 Volvo wagon, or something French.
I've always wanted a Citroen DS or XM. Not a lot of them on the market, so I picked up a C5 hdi wagon with hydro pneumatic suspension for $2k.
Smoothest riding car I've owned or ridden in, and it returns between 5.0-6.2l/100km. No regrets.

Last edited by smoo; 02-12-2019 at 02:18 AM.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2019, 07:16 AM   #72
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:
I'm at the point where I'm shopping around for a new daily, I keep coming back to FG MKII Falcon Ecoboost or VF Commodore - the Commodore would essentially double my fuel cost as I'm coming from a TDCI Focus that does 5.5L/100km all day every day regardless of how much I beat on it......

..... I keep coming back to Falcon or Commodore
Browsing around it seems that fgs are going for a song, tbe ecoboost even more so.

But why stop there, when classy cruising is within your reach....?

https://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-fo...4a0ed0a30#pos4

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #73
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
I've always wanted a Citroen DS or XM. Not a lot of them on the market, so I picked up a C5 hdi wagon with hydro pneumatic suspension for $2k.
Smoothest riding car I've owned or ridden in, and it returns between 5.0-6.2l/100km. No regrets.
Ping me if you have questions you can’t resolve with it. Sold my ‘63 Dee for a pittance this year; it felt like Steinbeck’s The Pearl.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #74
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
That is probably because that S40 is actually a Mitsubishi Carisma.
Yeah, but still has Volvo engine and gearbox, and Volvo specific brakes, and wiringv and body and interior. And made in the Netherlands so still euro! But that's probably why it is not falling apart.
I've also got a Hungarian built Subaru which hasn't done enough miles to be unreliable despite being 22 years old!
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #75
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Chicks attracted to Euro cars

Chicks attracted to Fords

Haha look, I love fords, and to me they crap all over euro cars but sadly this is not the opinion of the majority of chicks.

The ‘chicks’ impressed by a nice Ford tend to have a Winnie blue in one hand and a VB in the other.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #76
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so......that leaves the JAPS, as the only real reliable car companies. i suspect The Koreans are catching up though.

The YANK cars may have had a period of reliability maybe in the 50's? people i know who have bought USA FORD (v6 Coupe mid 2000's) , Chrysler and JEEP all had WOEFUL stories to tell. Last time a GM product had a bad run in AUS was the original GEN3 5.7, that came out in the VT? i think in early 2000's every Holden dealer in Australia had them in pieces in their workshops.
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2019, 11:16 AM   #77
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yank stuff is normally OK, if you don't mind diy.
Parts are cheap and there's plenty of stuff online on how to fix them.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #78
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
Browsing around it seems that fgs are going for a song, tbe ecoboost even more so.

But why stop there, when classy cruising is within your reach....?

https://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-fo...4a0ed0a30#pos4
Cam, set of alloy heads, full exhaust and a tune, in that champagne colour known as 'Old man Cav Gold' and I too can be hitting up the esplanade for chicks!

I'm sure the car will make up for the baby face and hairy manboobs
Old 02-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #79
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Haha look, I love fords, and to me they crap all over euro cars but sadly this is not the opinion of the majority of chicks.

The ‘chicks’ impressed by a nice Ford tend to have a Winnie blue in one hand and a VB in the other.
Nothing wrong with Winnie blues and VB mate, wife material - low upkeep (like the car )

Though with the price of tobacco these days might have to get her on the vape.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:51 PM   #80
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Mondildo wagon was on the consideration list until I saw it has a DSG.
Haha, I immediately thought of this (why can no-one have good quality clip of this important vehicle):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JscQXDsSgco