Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Changes to Road Rules, phones, u turns, paying for parking, funeral processions.

A “problematic” road rule that many Aussie drivers find confusing is set to change, and it will impact how motorists use their phone behind the wheel.

Last month ministers approved the proposed changes in the National Transport Commission’s (NTC) Australian Road Rules 13th Amendment Package.

One of the big changes will remove confusion around whether drivers can use their phones when stopped out of the line of traffic but with the car motor still running.

Under the current definition, parking is when a driver stops and allows their vehicle to stay in one place “whether or not the driver leaves the vehicle”.

However, the NTC said this definition had caused unintended problems in regards to the legal use of mobile phones behind the wheel.

The change will allow drivers to use their phone if they are safely stopped out of the line of traffic, even if their engine is running. Picture: iStockSource:istock

“This definition has proven problematic in the context of rules 299 and 300, which prohibit a driver from using a mobile phone, television receiver or visual display unit when the vehicle is stationary but not parked,” the NTC stated in the draft amendment package.

“The problem is that a driver who has pulled out of the line of traffic into an area where parking is permitted but leaves their engine running, and who proceeds to use their mobile phone (i.e. in circumstances where mobile phone usage presents no risk of distraction to the driver in the context of driving) is technically not parked – and has committed an offence.

“This is not the intent of the rules.”

The proposed change will clarify the rule and allow the use of a mobile phone, television receiver or visual display in a vehicle that is stopped out of the line of traffic, even if the keys are in the ignition or the engine is running.

Other amendments presented by the NTC were also approved, including two changes to the rules surrounding U-turns.

There will be changes coming to rules surrounding U-turns as well. Picture: Frank VioliSource:News Corp Australia

Under the current rules there is a clash when a driver is making a U-turn on a road and another driver is waiting to enter the road at the same time from a road-related area.

The rules state each driver must give way to the other, but the coming change gives the driver making the U-turn right of way over the entering driver.

There is also no provision that, in the absence of a no U-turn sign, prevents a driver from doing a U-turn at a children’s crossing, level crossing, marked foot crossing or pedestrian crossing.

“There is also no prohibition on a driver doing a U-turn at the intersection of a road and a road-related area, such as an exit from a school carpark,” the NTC said.

“This causes confusion and presents a safety risk.”

The amendment will prohibit U-turns in these situations, unless a U-turn permitted sign is present.

Rules around paying for parking will also be updated to include paying by electronic means, such as through a parking app.

The changes will also include amendments to allow the use of parking apps. Picture: Jenny EvansSource:News Corp Australia

The current rule includes reference to “buying a ticket or putting money into a parking meter” and “instructions on or with the sign, metre, ticket or ticket-vending machine”.

“This terminology does not sit with modern technology by which parking can be paid for through an app or by phone or by various means,” the NTC said.

Approved amendments will make this rule technology neutral so modern payments methods can be accommodated.

The road rules will also be updated to include provisions about how drivers are expected to behave around funeral processions.

NSW has an existing road rule that prohibits interference or interruption of a funeral procession, with this rule to be extended to cover the rest of the country.

The approved road rule amendments are expected to be introduced by all states and territories within a reasonable time frame."
https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...PvFwcB6tA98tUo
Old 05-12-2019, 07:25 PM   #2
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Default Re: Changes to Road Rules, phones, u turns, paying for parking, funeral processions.

Interesting rule change on the U turn. At the moment the person doing the U turn gives way to everyone..... it's even sign posted "U Turn must give way" although very few people seem to know this and just chuck a u turn without giving way.

Is this the same throughout Australia or just Victoria?

This is what the Law States:
In Victoria, you’re allowed to make a U-turn at intersections with or without traffic signals and at breaks in the median, unless there’s a ‘no U-turn’ sign. A ‘no right turn’ sign also prohibits a U-turn.

Here’s what to keep in mind when preparing to make a U-turn:

Make sure you have a clear view of approaching traffic
Only turn when you can do so safely and you’re not going to cause an obstruction to traffic
Give way to all other vehicles and pedestrians when making a U-turn.
This includes giving way to vehicles turning left from slip lane or a side street even if they have a a 'Give Way' or 'Stop' sign.
See rules 37 to 42 of Victorian Road Safety Road Rules 2017 for more information

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #3
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Changes to Road Rules, phones, u turns, paying for parking, funeral processions.

If your exiting a side street or driveway, giving way to people doing U turns is stupid. How are you supposed to know whether they are turning into the location you're exiting from, or doing a U turn?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
If your exiting a side street or driveway, giving way to people doing U turns is stupid. How are you supposed to know whether they are turning into the location you're exiting from, or doing a U turn?
That's what I was thinking too! Plus there's signed everywhere that say U turn must give way... that's why I wasn thinking maybe different in another states.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2019, 11:09 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XT View Post

Only turn when you can do so safely and you’re not going to cause an obstruction to traffic
This includes giving way to vehicles turning left from slip lane or a side street even if they have a a 'Give Way' or 'Stop' sign.
See rules 37 to 42 of Victorian Road Safety Road Rules 2017 for more information
And don't try U turns at lights in NSW unless there's a sign saying that they are allowed.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:15 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
And don't try U turns at lights in NSW unless there's a sign saying that they are allowed.
Yes that is interesting, while I haven't driven around in NSW, apparently not legal in SA unless its sign posted either.

Also confusion around driving about with their two tram lines, I wasn't sure if I was allowed to drive on the tracks with the trams like you can here

Can you drive on the tracks with the new trams in Sydney?

I've got a good idea - how about we standardise the road rules nationally
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2019, 11:17 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Still the underlying issue is the different rules and regulations across the country.

If they standardised motoring rules and regulations across the country things would be better again.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2019, 11:31 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Sign? You mean that square white sticker with four black letters, in the front and rear windows of cars that do this?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2019, 11:37 PM   #9
wackyv8
wackyv8

metre? surely they mean meter?- as in parking meter. how are we expercerterted to compile if they carnt spel the rools?
wackyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2019, 12:36 AM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Under the current definition, parking is when a driver stops and allows their vehicle to stay in one place “whether or not the driver leaves the vehicle”.

However, the NTC said this definition had caused unintended problems in regards to the legal use of mobile phones behind the wheel.

The change will allow drivers to use their phone if they are safely stopped out of the line of traffic, even if their engine is running.

“This definition has proven problematic in the context of rules 299 and 300, which prohibit a driver from using a mobile phone, television receiver or visual display unit when the vehicle is stationary but not parked,” the NTC stated in the draft amendment package.

“The problem is that a driver who has pulled out of the line of traffic into an area where parking is permitted but leaves their engine running, and who proceeds to use their mobile phone (i.e. in circumstances where mobile phone usage presents no risk of distraction to the driver in the context of driving) is technically not parked – and has committed an offence.

“This is not the intent of the rules.”

The proposed change will clarify the rule and allow the use of a mobile phone, television receiver or visual display in a vehicle that is stopped out of the line of traffic, even if the keys are in the ignition or the engine is running.
Well i'll be fooked, who ever writes the road rules also reads AFF it seems as I highlighted this exact issue only days ago after the incident I experienced with a do-gooder who misinterpreted this rule.
Finally some common sense is applied.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2019, 03:53 AM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

So all the times plod has jumped all over motorists using mobile phones while pulled safely out of traffic was an unintended consequence?
I wonder how many other situations there are where plod is exploiting grey areas to serve infringement notices all in the name of safety
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #12
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
That's easily explained! Most Queenslanders don't know what the indicator stick is for or how to use it, so they don't give way to anyone. Simple.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
That's easily explained! Most Queenslanders don't know what the indicator stick is for or how to use it, so they don't give way to anyone. Simple.
But as you know, Queensland bans all U-Turns at intersections unless signed otherwise,
a simple rule that stops a lot of the nonsense.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #14
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So now when a Uturner meets a Sliproader nobody has right of way?
(Mexican {Victorian} stand-off?)
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #15
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
U turns in NSW at lights have been legal for years, when signposted.
There just happens to be no sign posts in NSW that state a U turn is permitted.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #16
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XT View Post
Interesting rule change on the U turn. At the moment the person doing the U turn gives way to everyone..... it's even sign posted "U Turn must give way" although very few people seem to know this and just chuck a u turn without giving way.

Is this the same throughout Australia or just Victoria?

This is what the Law States:
In Victoria, you’re allowed to make a U-turn at intersections with or without traffic signals and at breaks in the median, unless there’s a ‘no U-turn’ sign. A ‘no right turn’ sign also prohibits a U-turn.

Well, FMD. I thought I had a pretty good understanding of the road rules, but I must admit that my understanding was that the u-turn vehicle had right of way. Even double-checked the Vicroads website to make sure that you were right. And you are.

I'm sure when i got taught to drive and did my driving test that a vehicle travelling on the main carriage way had right of way over vehicles on the secondary carriage way.

Wonder when that changed?

Thanks for the lesson, BA-XT.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post

Exactly.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I thought I said that!
Old 06-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
So now when a Uturner meets a Sliproader nobody has right of way?
(Mexican {Victorian} stand-off?)
Do they still have that retarded law about left turn traffic giving way to oncoming right turning traffic?
What A hole came up with that?
Old 06-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #20
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Do they still have that retarded law about left turn traffic giving way to oncoming right turning traffic?
No, I think that went out when the national standardised rules came in.

Merimbula always used to be a hot pot for crashed back in the day when that rule existed in Vic. All the Victorians driving in Merimbula hadn't recognised that they were driving in a different state with different rules. The results were a towies dream

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #21
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
No.Left turning traffic has right of way over right turning.Pretty sure the rule you are referring to got changed many years ago
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #22
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
No.Left turning traffic has right of way over right turning.Pretty sure the rule you are referring to got changed many years ago
1992 by memory. There was.advert campaign advising motorists of the change. Took about 1-2 months for it to sink in and become normal.
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2019, 04:38 PM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
1992 by memory. There was.advert campaign advising motorists of the change. Took about 1-2 months for it to sink in and become normal.
Good because on a trip there in 1990, I got called something in Greek......
Old 06-12-2019, 08:12 PM   #24
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
We're trying to join you. It's the new normal thing to not indicate in NSW. Especially at roundabouts. In the past couple of years it has got much worse.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post