Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
BA_GTR

Default AU stalling thread no. 657

Hey guys,

The big red car is having stalling issues now. :(

Basically, when slowing down from any speed... if you brake hard the engine stalls. It's extremely unusual though, as at 50km/h the car is at 600rpm. When braking, it drops below 600... seeing 200 sometimes. It also stalls on turns when combined with braking. The car also 'hunts' if you put it in reverse or drive and just push the brake. There is a slight effect in Park, but it isn't too bad.

From what I have been reading, the first steps are to clean the ISC and the throttle body? I had a look at GK's tutorial (http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ody#post864182) and his engine bay appears different. He has a different sort of connection between the airbox pipe and the throttlebody. Can anyone point me in the right direction to remove it?

If cleaning that doesn't help, that means that it could be my power steering switch could be dying? The power steering appears to be 'heavier' than before, and something has been doing fresh leaking on the garage floor. The mechanic that replaced the high pressure hose appears to have used a red oil rather than the yellow Mobil 424 oil that is specified by Ford.

If I force it in first gear and drive upto 80 there doesn't appear to be any lack of power, so that should rule out the fuel system?

Could the transmission be the problem? The car is nearing 180k now, and I don't remember whether the transmission has had a service, it definitely hasn't had one in at least 60 thousand, quite possibly more.

Unusually, the car also had a starting issue recently where it would hiss for a while, and then take a few seconds to begin cranking. When this occured, the problem of stalling began too. I'm not sure whether they are related or not, but the car has stopped this delayed start now.

Thanks for your help guys

BA_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unusually, the car also had a starting issue recently where it would hiss for a while, and then take a few seconds to begin cranking. When this occured, the problem of stalling began too. I'm not sure whether they are related or not, but the car has stopped this delayed start now.
battery posts/terminals clean? all vacumm hoses hoses on /not cracked ,broken? these would be the first things i would be checking then go on to other stuff, i think i`d throw in an auto service regardless of any other problems at the moment.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You've cleaned the ISC and this didn't work - next step is to replace it.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

have you recently disconnected the battery / reset the ECU? My car did that for around 100kms.......once the car had relearned idle points under load (a/c, power steering etc) then it was fine....

would also get the auto service done even if it's not related to this current issue...
Old 01-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
BA_GTR

Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick replies. I was driving it today and I noticed that the ECON light was flashing. This is when the transmission is overheating, right? Something tells me that that is the one that has been leaking in the garage as well. Looks like that Auto service definitely is long overdue.

Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:15 AM   #6
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

well trans oil is red - black (depending on how long it's been in the trans), so if it looks reddy-black then yeah that def sounds like you need an auto service and flush ASAP!
Old 04-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
BA_GTR

Hey guys,

Just a quick update. Whilst I was reading about other people's problems, I found this throttle calibration procedure. I did disconnect the battery however, this problem came after it ran fine for a while. Anyway, after trying this procedure it seems to have reduced the effect significantly

Here is the procedure:

Quote:
Drive car until normal operating temperature.

1. Apply park brake and start engine, make sure A/C is off and steering wheel not moved during calibration.
2. Place in D and let idle for 1min minimum
3. Turn off engine and turn key to last step before starting (cluster guages should be lit up) and press accelerator to floor and hold for 1min minimum.
4. Turn off key, release accelerator and place in P
5. Start engine and test drive.
This could be worth trying for others that have the same problem.

Thanks