Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 11-08-2006, 03:28 PM   #91
simonr
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Nope - Michelin Pilot Exaltos with 205/45R16s
Could of just said no.. 16"s

dont need to show off the tyres !!
Old 11-08-2006, 04:08 PM   #92
photn
AFF Post NAZI

hey teki, just pointing sumthing out, do u get the feeling that every1 is SORTA against you, i just think ppl here dont like ppl telling them faults about the dream car they may want to have, im sure you wouldnt appreciate ppl coming out and telling every1 about the faults ur clio has(whatever they may be) - Just an observation - totally impartial - unbiased. IMO.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 04:21 PM   #93
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonr
hahah obviously you havent been reading the thread

:hihi:
I skim-read long posts
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #94
04RSD
shinanigans

did any of you take into consideration the fact that the st has a heavier nose, housing a 2l donk, while the zetec has only the 1.6.
having transplanted a rb25 into a silvia and transplanting a 1.8l mivec into a mirage i can tell you from experiance the same car with a different motor = 2 very different handling cars.
i have raced a 1.3l turbo starlet with expensive 15" race slick bridgestones on it round a track a few hundred times but when i drove it i one day on my 17" goodyear f1s i ran quicker times.
i have owned and modified a ****load of cars in my time going bigger has always been better.
04RSD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #95
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSD
i have raced a 1.3l turbo starlet with expensive 15" race slick bridgestones on it round a track a few hundred times but when i drove it i one day on my 17" goodyear f1s i ran quicker times.
i have owned and modified a ****load of cars in my time going bigger has always been better.
.....on a racetrack...... again.....

Get out on some real roads with ripples, potholes and mid corner bumps and then do some comparisons.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:30 PM   #96
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'll get the same results. Stupidly hard suspension will be your downfall on the road.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #97
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You do realise that the tyre sidewalls in effect act as part of your "suspension"? I wouldn't call a car that tramlines and transmits and reacts to every bump and lump "fun" to drive. But each to their own.

Put your $$$ into decent tyres, not huge diameter rims!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 11:40 PM   #98
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes I do murcod. But on a street driven car your gonna have a relativly compliant suspension and reducing your sidewall by 19.5mm is not gonna have a negative effect on your handling.

Do you realise that your tyres work best when having an even load across its contact area? Do you realise that a smaller sidewall will reduce tyre deformation and result in a more even load across the tyre giving higher grip levels?

Im not contesting that good tyres are essental and I wouldn't exactly call 17's huge diameter rims.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:48 AM   #99
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

STILL going?!?!
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 10:19 AM   #100
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyperkid - YES!

Pieoter, have a look here : http://www.drive.com.au/buy/new/car_...15916620050609 ; the Lotus Elise would be one of the best handling cars this side of $100000. Check out the tyre sizes used - front 175/55R16 and rear 225/45R17. Now that gives sidewall heights of 96.25mm for the front and 101.25mm for the rear. The rear rim width is 7.5".

Now compare the Fiesta Zetec sidewall height 195/45 = 87.75mm (WOW! it's LESS!!); now I think the Fiesta might be lacking in other areas than tyre sidewall height when it comes to handling..... Money would be better spent on things like shock absorbers, decent springs and swaybar upgrades (or even just bushes), that rear hub spacer kit from the UK etc. There is lot more to it than simply increasing the rim diameter.

Even a car like the HSV GTO with 245/35R19 tyres has a sidewall height of 85.75mm - only 2mm less than the standard Fiesta Zetec 16" tyres. The MY06 Subaru Imprezza STi runs 225/45R17 - sidewall height is 101.25mm

So, is the sidewall height on the Fiesta with 16" rims really the issue that is affecting the handling? I think not- money would be better spent elsewhere. ;)
Old 12-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #101
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When did I ever say you should spend your money on rims and not suspension? NEVER.
Did I ever say the fiesta was strugling because of a large sidewall? NO
This was about 16inch vs 17inch on the fiesta. Don't put words in my mouth.

I very much agree that you should spend money on your suspension components.

P.S Lotus elise is helped alot by its very light weight.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:17 PM   #102
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
When did I ever say you should spend your money on rims and not suspension? NEVER.
Did I ever say the fiesta was strugling because of a large sidewall? NO
This was about 16inch vs 17inch on the fiesta. Don't put words in my mouth.
Where did I "put words into your mouth"? Or say you said something you didn't?

You get very defensive when faced with facts and figures.

ROTFL

The whole thread has been in regards to 16" vs 17" and you saying they are better for various reasons. I'm just presenting some views on why they possibly aren't unless you like the "pose" value, are willing to spend big $$$ to get it and make sacrifices in on road driving manners.

Anway, I've said everything I want to on the subject. It will give anyone considering the "upgrade" food for thought.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:39 PM   #103
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You presented me with the sidewall height of various cars . This proves nothing as they all have very different suspension setups. You post implied that I claimed that sidewall height was directly related to handling. It also implied that I claimed money should be spend on rims and not suspension. It also gives the impression that I said the sidewall was limiting the fiesta.

I may have gotten defensive but you just seen to ignore anything involving the science of car handling.

I wouldn't call the cost of 17's big $$$ these days and they will still give a very acceptable ride.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:57 PM   #104
JD2004

is this arguement still going on?? farout how about we all agree to disagree?? done deal?? yup thats me sorted.
JD2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post