Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Early Falcon Car Club of Qld Inc

Early Falcon Car Club of Qld Inc The Queensland early model Falcon Club.

Old 17-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
abrogard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Brake Master Cylinder Needed

Hi..

Apparently I need a master cylinder for my XY Station Wagon. It has drum brakes all round. I wonder if anyone has one?

regards,

ab

p.s. I'm going to post this in the XY section, too. I hope that's not against the forum rules. It just seems to me that your car club could be a good source and the XY forum is obviously a possible - and I think it very likely that the audience for the one often never looks at the other!

abrogard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
unclefarty

Sorry can't help with your drum brakes, but your right, I didn't even know there was an XY area..Do you want to upgrade to Disc Brakes?
unclefarty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
abrogard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't especially 'want' to change to disk - but I'd do it if it were a cheaper option somewhere along the line.

That wouldn't be the case in this situation though, would it?

I might try to put a kit into my master cylinder myself. How big/delicate/hard is that job, do you know?
abrogard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
9triton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: A valued contributor to those hard to answer questions regarding classic falcons. A wealth of knowledge. 

how do you know its the master cylinder - is it leaking ?

usually they leak because the bores get worn (or the rubber cups 'perish')

master cylinder kits are easy enough to do -a set of circlip pliers and some brake fluid as lubrication and an evening fiddling to get it apart and cleaned and back together

however not sure what state (of OZ- not mind!) you are in but a quick trawl of the web should give you some clues as to people who can do exchange ones - to save the hassle - wouldnt think the Xy is that rare.

also if its leaking because of worn bores then best you get it checked as they usually leak soon after fixing if the bores are still stuffed....they can be resleeved with stainless - there is a multitude of people who can do this:

http://www.martinsclutch.com.au/brake/hydraulics.htm
hoppers stoppers
sunbury brake and clutch

etc etc

an xy on drums must be scary - i have an XP with drums and its a way lighter car and doesnt inspire me with confidence in the braking dept - maybe 40 years ago it was cutting edge - but in todays modern traffic..

pretty sure you could fit a set of front hubs/uprights/discs from any thing from XW to XD/E (maybe XF)+ booster and step into the 80's for braking performance .
and fairly cheaply .

or see hoppers website and go crazy with big discs

brett
melborne
9triton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post