Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 15-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #31
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We finally picked up the black zetec. Very happy indeed. Looks the goods,ergonomics are great and that 1.6l goes well. Noticed a bit of pinging when driving on 91 ron fuel. Has anyone tried 95ron? And does anybody know of the run in proceedure for them i couldnt find anything in the manual.

cheers

FOR SALE oil catch cans and cats back exhaust to suit BA|F GT. PM FOR MORE INFO
pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #32
eleusis
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpal
We finally picked up the black zetec. Very happy indeed. Looks the goods,ergonomics are great and that 1.6l goes well. Noticed a bit of pinging when driving on 91 ron fuel. Has anyone tried 95ron? And does anybody know of the run in proceedure for them i couldnt find anything in the manual.
I've noticed a bit of a loss of performance and some occasional pinging since filling up for the 2nd time (haven't been driving much - only ~700k's on the clock so far). I'm thinking of getting some PULP next time around to see if things improve.

Re: run in procedure, i'm guessing you just.. drive? ;)
eleusis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 07:22 AM   #33
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

We only put 98 in the Fiesta, same with our other cars.

The small diff in price is inconsequential.

Found the issue with reverse pop up yesterday - will be added to the short list for the dealer to check
Candyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #34
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Reverse issue? I havent heard of it yet. what is it?
Old 16-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #35
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Reverse does not always engage completely.

Was noted by a few reviewers and seems we just encountered it as well.
Old 16-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #36
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

You need to watch before engaging reverse. I found it you put the clutch in and go to 3rd then 4th and finally reverse it goes in fine 99.99% of the time.

Its the design of the gearbox itself that causes it
Old 16-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #37
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh yeah that's just normal for a manual box :0 gears on gears can't be expect to allways line up when they are standing still
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #38
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
Oh yeah that's just normal for a manual box :0 gears on gears can't be expect to allways line up when they are standing still
This issue is not "normal" for a manual.

After driving countless manuals over the last 35 years, this is the first time I have ever had problems.

Worse still is that this is a brand new car. I've also driven the pervious Fiesta and an XR4 a number of times and had no such issue.

Seems more than one experienced reviewers found the same issue with the Fiesta as well.

Will definately be looked at by the Service Dept when it goes in for the first service.
Old 16-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #39
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Its a design flaw in the 30year old IB5 gearbox.

DEAL WITH IT
Old 17-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #40
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Its a design flaw in the 30year old IB5 gearbox.

DEAL WITH IT
AFAIK, this is a new gearbox in the WS.

Dealing with it is not something I plan on doing.
Old 17-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #41
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Nope same gearbox
Old 17-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #42
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I thought it was just me.
Old 17-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #43
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Nope same gearbox
This is a quote from various reviews of the new WS ... ????

Quote:
The 1.6 Ti-VCT engine is coupled to a new five-speed gearbox.
Was sure the manager of the Service Dept also said it was a new gearbox ....

Anywhere on the casing I can check ?

After checking specs on drive ratios of the WS versus earlier models - the top gear ratio and final drive ratio are different.
Old 17-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #44
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Different cogs, same box.
All the different WQ models got different gears.
LX got taller gears for economy, Zetec shorter for better pick up, XR4 some thing else to use the torque.
The engine is very similar as well, just upgraded the top end.
Old 17-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #45
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
Different cogs, same box.
All the different WQ models got different gears.
LX got taller gears for economy, Zetec shorter for better pick up, XR4 some thing else to use the torque.
The engine is very similar as well, just upgraded the top end.
Cool, also I checked ours versus an 07 Fiesta in the carpark - totally different housing too. So, housing and cogs appear different (as does the shifter)

As for the engine, I'll hunt down a tech bulletin I had - compared the new engine with the previous model. A lot of different internals and looks quite different externally too.
Old 17-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #46
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never driven a 5 speed manual box that didn't do that. Granted none of them were in small cars. But for me that's normal. Maybe it's a sign that's it's a good strong gearbox For example the good old T5's in the Falcons and Commodores/everything famously wont get into reverse without going for a trip to 5th first. I think I've only have the jiggle the Fiesta around once or twice to get reverse. On a T5 it's probably 10-20% of the time if not more
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #47
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Wifie/GF is going to buy a 2009 Zetec Fiesta (that purple colour) in a month or so (replaces a Laser), but she's going for the 1.4litre Auto.

Anyone seen a review for this motor? She'll be doing Newcastle-Tamworth regularly enough.

NB 1:- She had cause only yesterday to flick on the rear fog (LE Perie aftermarket r.fog fitted with amber telltale) - a heavy F3 rainstorm reduced visibility to near bugger all, and speed <50km/h for some minutes. They standout well under such. The item was a *must* (of many) on her shopping list of requirements.

NB 2:- I am sure these German made units have the 'left and right parklights' - where you remove the ignition, and flick the indicator up - for only the driver side parkers front and back, and down for the passenger side. (depending on which side the indicator stalk is). This wont apply after the cars are made in Thailand I think, sometime later.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #48
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman2
As for the engine, I'll hunt down a tech bulletin I had - compared the new engine with the previous model. A lot of different internals and looks quite different externally too.
That's what they want you to believe, not likely you're going to poke around in there.:
Old 18-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #49
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

I read on one of the journalist reviews that the Fiesta had blue ambient lighting (just above the glovebox).

Ours has red. Does it depend on interior colour or is it switchable. ?

I'm also going to colour the footwell lights red to match the rest of the Zetec interior lighting.
Old 19-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #50
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleusis
I've noticed a bit of a loss of performance and some occasional pinging since filling up for the 2nd time (haven't been driving much - only ~700k's on the clock so far). I'm thinking of getting some PULP next time around to see if things improve.

Re: run in procedure, i'm guessing you just.. drive? ;)
Well wont be putting in the 91ron fuel again. Not too impressed with the slight pinging at about 2000rpm. Couldnt be doing the engine any good.

As far as the running in proceedure, i ran it in hard,varing the revs, right up to 5500rpm now that its done 1100ks. Must bed in those rings!!!

FOR SALE oil catch cans and cats back exhaust to suit BA|F GT. PM FOR MORE INFO
pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #51
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpal
Well wont be putting in the 91ron fuel again. Not too impressed with the slight pinging at about 2000rpm. Couldnt be doing the engine any good.

As far as the running in proceedure, i ran it in hard,varing the revs, right up to 5500rpm now that its done 1100ks. Must bed in those rings!!!
With run in, also be aware you need to run in brakes, tyres, suspension.

From what many are saying about running in the engine, the most impact is in the first 100 km's. Once beyond that and you achieve little.

No excessive rpm's, no excessive labouring of the engine, varying speeds.

Interesting though that most manufacturers don't even bother suggesting a run in process.period these days.
Old 21-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #52
Zetec Dave

So depressing waiting for the arrival of my Fiesta Zetec...Sigh...haven't really seen many new fiesta yet except for those Cl and Lx ones on the back of trucks, in dealerships or occasionally on the rare occasion on the road. For a while I started to feel numb and kinda forgot about the car entirely until my wife asked me "so hun, did you get a call from the dealer yet?" *SIGH* :(
Zetec Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #53
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec Dave
So depressing waiting for the arrival of my Fiesta Zetec...Sigh...haven't really seen many new fiesta yet except for those Cl and Lx ones on the back of trucks, in dealerships or occasionally on the rare occasion on the road. For a while I started to feel numb and kinda forgot about the car entirely until my wife asked me "so hun, did you get a call from the dealer yet?" *SIGH* :(
Keep smiling mate, it is worth the wait.

Hope it arrives before you expect it
Old 22-03-2009, 05:46 AM   #54
Zetec Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman2
Keep smiling mate, it is worth the wait.

Hope it arrives before you expect it
Cheers mate. Thank you for your kind words. Helps to ease the depressing thoughts. LOL
Zetec Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #55
ANGEL#3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same here mate the wait is killing the wife. Makes it harder knowing that it's getting even closer to the date, the wait.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
You thoughts please. Traded in for a new fiesta as most of you know. Still waiting.

Wife heading home from spending the week in Sydney late Friday arvo about 5km away from home the wife calls she'll be late accented on the hwy bump 2 bump. Calls a short time late that she has just been hit in rear. Damage bumper and tailgate needs fixing. Minor. Lady texting on her mobile WTF!

Remember we're still waiting on the new car arriving. The car is booked in to get repaired through insurance this Monday.

Question - should we let the dealer know of the accented/damage?
Would this affect the trade-in price?

Cheers
ANGEL#3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #56
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Check the contract and any duty of disclosure required.

If it were myself, I would tell the dealer given that the contract has been signed but I would be expecting the agreed upon value for the trade-in given that the Insurance company had approved repairs (assumes repairs meet realistic expectations and no structural damage has been caused that was not repairable).
Old 22-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #57
ANGEL#3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That’s what I was thinking; Honesty is the best policy I say.

Went to the dealer today after work and spoke with the bloke I've been dealing with and he was fine about the car and didn't really care. Told the whole story and said it's getting fixed along with the other dint I did many years ago from the trailer.

Our Fiesta should be here in around 2 weeks. My local dealer had 6 new Fiesta 4 in the yard and 2 in there holding yard. 3 silver 1 sea gray and 1 red and 1 morello all CL

BB
Old 28-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #58
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

The Vision Blue is still my favourite colour in the Fiesta.

The wifes Zetec after a wash today.

Old 28-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #59
ANGEL#3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks good candyman. Vision sure is a nice colour. Really like the front bar with the fogs wish the wife wanted a Zetec.
Old 28-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #60
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

I'm impressed with the dealers pre delivery - no swirls, no scratches, no cloudiness in the paint. Very unusual for a dealer detail !

I am quite impressed with the Ford paint too. Holds a gloss well. I put a few layers of my sealant of choice on it and a layer of P21S100. Has dealt with bird crap, general dirt and watermarks without an issue