Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-05-2006, 12:26 AM   #1
stiddy
Banned

Default High beam me..

Hey all..

Tonight was driving home from a friends.. and its long dark back roads.. driving with high beam lights on.. no problems all is well..

car comes the other way.. do the nice thing and flick to low beam.. or switch high beams off, whichever you prefer..
anyhow all lights turned off.. for a few seconds and then low beams came on.. the dash lights stay on..

mmm thats a little strange.. so i did a few tests.. and when i turn my high beams on and off the low beams turn off with the high beams for a few seconds and then back on.. sometimes they dont come back on and i have to flick the switch on the dash off and on for the low beams to come back on..
but if i pull the leaver to flash my high beams.. the low beams stay on..

and sometimes, mainly tonight.. just driving along with low beams on they will cut off for a second and back on.. its really weird and worries me a little.

mmm even stranger.. now when i get in the car and turn the lights on, sometimes they dont turn on even if i turn the switch on inside the cab..
have to flick the switch off and on for them to turn on.. sometimes twice.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

ive played with fuses and relays and they all seem to be ok.. its not the most comforting thing when you are on a dark back road and your lights just turn off.

stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 01:11 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Anyone have any ideas what this could be?
Could be one of 2 things:
1. The switch
2. The relay.

I would guess it's the relay, but without testing it , that's just a guess - it could just as easily be a borken solder in the switch, or corroded contacts in the switch, etc. Take it to a sparky and get them to check it. To state the obvious, having your lights turn off like that is dangerous to you and other road users.
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 05:51 AM   #3
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I would say loose or coroded contacts somewhere if they are just turning off while your casually driving...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 08:08 AM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Sounds like a dodgy/sticky relay to me too. You can test all your relays manually if you make a lead with a female relay plug on it , power them up manually from your battery to the loom you make for testing , you can then test them with a multimeter to see if they are operating straight away or sticking.
Or , it could even be posibly that its gettin to the point where you battery is getting low . The highbeams draw alot of amps and draw off the alternator & battery , running your highbeams for a while could of drained your battery badly, soon as u switched back to normal beam the battery might of been too low on amps to run the accessories/ignition system and normal beam again - and has to charge the system battery for a brief few seconds before the main headlights start drawing from the alternator with the battery too - sorta like its brieflly charhing the battery before it is loaded up again before its doing anything else , a possibility ? ..

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 11:50 AM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Sounds like a relay ... I had issues with highbeams flickering though ... and found the highbeam relay needed replacing .... but this sounds like a low beam relay to me
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Next time you have the problem call me. I might not be much chop with mechanical work but I am pretty good with car electronics.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 10:10 PM   #7
boodek
Ferret

Earlier Falcons (ED, for example) had an overcurrent relay which would open when headlight current draw exceeded its rating, unfortunate when belting down a dark road at 100. Like all safetys of this type they got old and tired and ended up opening far earlier than they should after a few years. Not sure if the AU had this setup but maybe worth exploring?
boodek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 11:42 PM   #8
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
sorta like its brieflly charhing the battery before it is loaded up again before its doing anything else , a possibility ? ..
You'd think the engine and everything else drawing current would cut out also if this were the case (stereo, parkers, ecu, bem etc) I would stick with the relay explanation
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 08:25 AM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
You'd think the engine and everything else drawing current would cut out also if this were the case (stereo, parkers, ecu, bem etc) I would stick with the relay explanation
not really - thats maybe why it might of shut off the main beam for a few seconds, so the rest wouldn't cut out (especially the ecu) - like it needed to charge the battery/top up a bit more off the alternator for a few seconds before the headlights start drawing too high amps again (if the amps were getting too low to start with in the battery, and with alternator and battery combined and power needed to run the ecu correctly and lights etc etc)- a possibility maybe ... but yeah , i'de be checking the relays thoroughly first though .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 08:27 AM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Stiddy ... how'd this go????
Had it checked out yet ... best bet is get a trsuted auto sparky to look at it ... hopefully shouldn't take too long to diagnose ... and might be just a good idea to replace the relay anyway ... they are a fairly cheap item
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 11:16 AM   #11
stiddy
Banned

lol ive been fairly lazy, the XR is parked and im driving the Celica around.. i'll go and buy a relay for it today sometime.. if the lowbeams turn off and i tap the relay the lights turn back on.. so im fairly sure thats the problem lol..

how much are relay's usually?
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 12:47 PM   #12
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$5 or so im guessing
Old 16-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #13
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
$5 or so im guessing
I would keep guessing. Toyota h/l relays I think were around $50 & up.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 02:32 PM   #14
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit
I would keep guessing. Toyota h/l relays I think were around $50 & up.
THe Falcon uses pretty standard relays.

Can't see it being more than $10

Before you spend your money first check your grounds. While your at it you can pull the wiper relay out and and test the high beam circuit with the spare known-working relay. There under the coolant bottle from what I can remember.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #15
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

I have a similar problem but my high beam will flash on and off but the thing with mine is they seem to have two levles of brightness if i have them on the brighter level thats when they start to flash but with a small tweak on the high/low beam stalk is the only thing that will bring them back to the lower level of high beam. I have changed the relay but that hasn't fixed it.
Don't buy the relay from FORD it'll cost u about $16
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #16
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 levels of high beam? there is a point in the travel of the stalk where both low and high beam are on - between the two settings... sure that's not what you are seeing?
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #17
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: High beam me..

Thanks for the info.

Hopefully getting a new low beam relay will fix my problems.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #18
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Old 15-07-2011, 03:03 AM   #19
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

5 years between posts unreal but hey may as well jump on two. i had a problem with one of my low beam coming on and off all the time, had a look at the bulb and it was moving in the headlight so i adjusted (bent) the lock in clip and havnt had a problem since, maybe this will help someone in another 5 yrs or so LOL
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 04:40 AM   #20
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

and me .... my lights ficker everytime i corner or accelerate hard flashing from dull to bright and i have checked every earth :/ give it a rev in neutral and it stabilises only to come back cruising along on the highway ???

It is driving me nuts !!!
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post