Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 11-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #451
Swoopdown

Default Re: WZ Fiesta ST Questions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skramit View Post
Pics of the pit lane and track walk etc yes but not of any Fist action since I was driving. Turns out heaps of people had onboard cameras. Next time I will invest in a GoPro
just give the guy that was behind you a call haha
Swoopdown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #452
Skramit

Skramit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #453
Skramit

Default WZ Fiesta ST Questions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoopdown View Post
just give the guy that was behind you a call haha

I was chatting to a guy in a GTI who had a GoPro. He had footage of me flying past on the back straight at about 170. He was on a cool down lap. He showed me the footage on the day and it was pretty awesome.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #454
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would love to do a day like that but concerned of what dramas that sort of day may cause down the track, similar to what you have found I suppose. Was curious as to what the top speed of these is then found a vid on you tube of one going from 0 to 220 at a fairly decent rate.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #455
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

They keep pulling right up to the electronic speed limiter. The next limitation would probably be the tyres and then the aero before power came in to the equation.
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #456
Skramit

The stock Bridgestones are V speed rated pretty sure which means up to 290 or something. My top speed was 183 but I could feel it struggling even there. You'd need a runway or an empty freeway and no police to hit 210. The other thing I noticed on the straight was how planted it felt. No bouncing wobbling or that worrisome feeling. Very in control with the direct steering holding firm at high speed.

I hear what you're saying jd dad but it's not like I'll be taking it to the track every weekend. Once or twice a year type of thing I reckon. If you only do it once it'd be well worth any potential issues or cost down the track IMO. Gotta enjoy this car while you have it ;)
2 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #457
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

What gear were you in skramit? Last time I got near 180 on a quiet country road... On private property of course... It was still pulling.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #458
Skramit

5th. It was still pulling but not like 60-140 does :p there also was a fair headwind so that might not have helped.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #459
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Yeah well if you watch any top speed runs on YouTube they get to the limiter without too much effort.

http://youtu.be/ormNgYKOibA
Old 11-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #460
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they certainly are well sorted on the road, sitting on 160 rock solid even though it was damp.(private rd too) Might look at a track day at some point ,looks like a great day out
Old 11-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #461
Skramit

The one I did was $350 but it was a full day 8-4. If it was $350 for 2 hours or something I'd probably think twice but a whole day was good value and I probably clocked about 40 or so laps including instruction, lunch, drinks etc.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #462
aratic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoopdown View Post
Iam sure all FiST owners are glad to hear your feedback.

Now Ill look into braided hoses and better brake fluid.

For the track id also recommend installing a street/track pad before the stock ones tarnish/ transfer onto your rotors and you have to replace the lot.
Old 18-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #463
Skramit

Default WZ Fiesta ST Questions Thread

Had the service done. Oil change an all the rest. Engine is far more zippy.

For the soft brakes they told me the fluid and mechanicals are fine, it's a greasy layer on the discs. They cleaned them but said I'll need to just brake hard for the next few weeks to clean them up properly to bed the pads back in.

So I think if anyone is planning to track day their Fist regularly just go buy some high performance pads and or rotors before hand
Old 18-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #464
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Yeah it was probably just glazed rotors and/or pads.
Old 21-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #465
clem0x

Quick question guys, do you know if the Recaro seats have airbags fitted inside them? Reason is I'm looking for just seat covers to protect from dust and spills.

It's difficult to keep pristine when you run the car as a daily. :(
Old 21-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #466
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem0x View Post
Quick question guys, do you know if the Recaro seats have airbags fitted inside them? Reason is I'm looking for just seat covers to protect from dust and spills.

It's difficult to keep pristine when you run the car as a daily. :(
Yes they do. From the back of the seat you should see the little airbag tags.

Scotchguard the seats imo
Old 21-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #467
clem0x

Already scotchgaurded.. Just after another layer of protection lol.
Old 21-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #468
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Just enjoy it Clem. Unless you smoke in the car or transport critters you won't get holes and tears.
Old 21-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #469
clem0x

I transport my pomeranian chihuahua on occasion and she sheds everywhere :/
Old 21-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #470
Swoopdown

put her in full leathers and a helmet.

took my grandma for a drive the other day she loved the boost.
Swoopdown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #471
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

My fez is back to having overboost staying inactive. Still pulls a clean 6.9 0-100 without the overboost, however.

Might have to clear the KAM and check the inlet piping again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem0x View Post
I transport my pomeranian chihuahua on occasion and she sheds everywhere :/
Take out the parcel shelf and let her chill out in the back

Not an option I have for my boxer and Labrador...they go in the girlfriends 4 door fiesta.
Old 25-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #472
aratic

How do you know over boost isn't working?
Old 06-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #473
coolozzieguy

Hi All,

Have been reading the threads on the ST here, and it is good to see the different experiences and so forth. I am looking at salary-sacrificing either end this year\early next year, and the ST is now top of my list, as I probably won't be able to afford a new XR8. I do have a few questions which I haven't found answers to here, if people don't mind. I managed to find a user’s handbook online, for the European version which helped for a few things, but wanted to confirm a few things with the people who have lived with them day to day:

1) Euro aircon performance. The AC in my Getz is actually quite icy... when you have clean air in front and it is less than a 35c day and you are doing over about 60kmph. But after about 5 mins of disturbed air, or slow driving, it goes to water. Plus it cripples performance. The AC in my old EF in my sig. took about 45mins of bumper to bumper traffic and heat soak to get that bad.

2) Headlight performance. My Getz has good regular beam for around town at night, but high beam is fairly average (but not terrible) in the bush\country at night. My EF was the opposite, i.e. useless regular beam in the city, excellent high beam in the bush.

3) Dirt road performance. I drive on dirt roads from time to time, and my Getz is probably the scariest car I have ever driven on thick, loose gravel, to the point where I have to turn off the ESC. Even in a straight line I have to disable it as it randomly starts kicking in (especially at the rear) and one time almost caused me to spin on a straight section doing about 65Kmph-ish. I imagine the ST will be pretty good but just after some feedback.

4) ESC. The handbook I found says it can be switched off completely, but is this 'really truly' off or Toyota and Mercedes version of 'off' which is still on.

5) Spare tyres. I see that the ST appears to come with a Space Saver. Unlike most, I seem to get 3-4 punctures a year for some reason. Can you order a full size (can't find it on Ford website) but if not, will a full size wheel fit in the wheel well anyway?

6) Ethanol. Yes, I am "one of them" who likes ethanol for cars that can run it. The handbook says you can safely run up to 15% ethanol. I have used United e10-100 octane many times in compatible cars and it is great. Has anyone used this before for long periods, and if so, how did it go? This isn't a deal breaker, as I also use and highly recommend BP Ultimate but just curious. Also, has anyone tried\heard of an E85 conversion\tune? Dunno about you guys, but I reckon that E85+EcoBoost would be a match made in heaven and give you the fabled 'EcoBlast'.

7) Future model. I see on the Ford US website that they not only get a 5 door, but also get what appears to be Sync-2. Again, these are not deal breakers for me but if there is going to be a change, I am willing to wait, so if anyone has insider info, it would be appreciated.

Hope I haven't asked too much, just after some info on what people are experiencing.

Thanks.
Shorter UltraRide shocks to suit F/R.
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

2010 TB Hyundai Getz. 4dr, 5sp Manual, 1.6L.
Enough Said.

Boggo October 2014 WZ Fiesta ST, Spirit Blue.
Gives me Wiiiiiiiiiiiiings!
coolozzieguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #474
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolozzieguy View Post
Hi All,

Have been reading the threads on the ST here, and it is good to see the different experiences and so forth. I am looking at salary-sacrificing either end this year\early next year, and the ST is now top of my list, as I probably won't be able to afford a new XR8. I do have a few questions which I haven't found answers to here, if people don't mind. I managed to find a user’s handbook online, for the European version which helped for a few things, but wanted to confirm a few things with the people who have lived with them day to day:

1) Euro aircon performance. The AC in my Getz is actually quite icy... when you have clean air in front and it is less than a 35c day and you are doing over about 60kmph. But after about 5 mins of disturbed air, or slow driving, it goes to water. Plus it cripples performance. The AC in my old EF in my sig. took about 45mins of bumper to bumper traffic and heat soak to get that bad.

2) Headlight performance. My Getz has good regular beam for around town at night, but high beam is fairly average (but not terrible) in the bush\country at night. My EF was the opposite, i.e. useless regular beam in the city, excellent high beam in the bush.

3) Dirt road performance. I drive on dirt roads from time to time, and my Getz is probably the scariest car I have ever driven on thick, loose gravel, to the point where I have to turn off the ESC. Even in a straight line I have to disable it as it randomly starts kicking in (especially at the rear) and one time almost caused me to spin on a straight section doing about 65Kmph-ish. I imagine the ST will be pretty good but just after some feedback.

4) ESC. The handbook I found says it can be switched off completely, but is this 'really truly' off or Toyota and Mercedes version of 'off' which is still on.

5) Spare tyres. I see that the ST appears to come with a Space Saver. Unlike most, I seem to get 3-4 punctures a year for some reason. Can you order a full size (can't find it on Ford website) but if not, will a full size wheel fit in the wheel well anyway?

6) Ethanol. Yes, I am "one of them" who likes ethanol for cars that can run it. The handbook says you can safely run up to 15% ethanol. I have used United e10-100 octane many times in compatible cars and it is great. Has anyone used this before for long periods, and if so, how did it go? This isn't a deal breaker, as I also use and highly recommend BP Ultimate but just curious. Also, has anyone tried\heard of an E85 conversion\tune? Dunno about you guys, but I reckon that E85+EcoBoost would be a match made in heaven and give you the fabled 'EcoBlast'.

7) Future model. I see on the Ford US website that they not only get a 5 door, but also get what appears to be Sync-2. Again, these are not deal breakers for me but if there is going to be a change, I am willing to wait, so if anyone has insider info, it would be appreciated.

Hope I haven't asked too much, just after some info on what people are experiencing.

Thanks.
1- Aircon doesn't get super cold but it manages fine. It doesn't make any noticeable change to power output on/off

2- Projector lamps will be different to what you're used to. The factory bulbs work quite well and the high beam is passable

3- Mine handles loose surfaces pretty well without too many hassles. Any big ruts or holes will give you hard time with the stiff suspension and can be prone to tram lining at times (i.e. following grooves in the road)

4 - It is a 3 stage system

Default - Stability/Traction/ABS
Sport - Stability/ABS
Off - ABS

5 - If you take the foam section out of the wheel well you should be able to fit a full size spare in there. I would just opt to keep the space saver and an extra temporary puncture repair kit for peace of mind.

6 - The motor is used in America where in some places it's hard to find fuels that don't have ethanol blends. It will be fine..

7 - No idea
Old 06-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #475
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Admin please remove this post i double up by mistake

Last edited by mrmavx; 06-09-2014 at 06:55 PM.
mrmavx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #476
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

My answers generally as above with my extra comments being
1 have not had an issue if set to max cold in traffic
2 both only average if you do a lot of country driving change to hid bulbs, low beam easy high a pain in the....( need special mounting blocks i got mine from south africa)
3 an absolute hoot on gravel
4 as above
5 a full size spare will mean the boot mat will not fit properly as the wheel/tyre will be higher than the surrounding floor
6 10% is alowable US cars use a different engine management and so pay no attention to what they do, watch what UK and europe do
7 again the US have completely different head unit and display which has not been used outside of north america so i would not expect any major change here

Hope this helps
Mrmavx
mrmavx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #477
coolozzieguy

Quote:
1- Aircon doesn't get super cold but it manages fine. It doesn't make any noticeable change to power output on/off

2- Projector lamps will be different to what you're used to. The factory bulbs work quite well and the high beam is passable

3- Mine handles loose surfaces pretty well without too many hassles. Any big ruts or holes will give you hard time with the stiff suspension and can be prone to tram lining at times (i.e. following grooves in the road)

4 - It is a 3 stage system

Default - Stability/Traction/ABS
Sport - Stability/ABS
Off - ABS

5 - If you take the foam section out of the wheel well you should be able to fit a full size spare in there. I would just opt to keep the space saver and an extra temporary puncture repair kit for peace of mind.

6 - The motor is used in America where in some places it's hard to find fuels that don't have ethanol blends. It will be fine..

7 - No idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmavx View Post
My answers generally as above with my extra comments being
1 have not had an issue if set to max cold in traffic
2 both only average if you do a lot of country driving change to hid bulbs, low beam easy high a pain in the....( need special mounting blocks i got mine from south africa)
3 an absolute hoot on gravel
4 as above
5 a full size spare will mean the boot mat will not fit properly as the wheel/tyre will be higher than the surrounding floor
6 10% is alowable US cars use a different engine management and so pay no attention to what they do, watch what UK and europe do
7 again the US have completely different head unit and display which has not been used outside of north america so i would not expect any major change here

Hope this helps
Mrmavx
Thanks Guys,

Much appreciated. Good to hear opinions of owners.
Shorter UltraRide shocks to suit F/R.
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

2010 TB Hyundai Getz. 4dr, 5sp Manual, 1.6L.
Enough Said.

Boggo October 2014 WZ Fiesta ST, Spirit Blue.
Gives me Wiiiiiiiiiiiiings!
coolozzieguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #478
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have got a full size spare in ours and doesn't really disturb the boot that much, I hate the idea of space savers as all they really are are dollar savers for the manufacturers.