Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #331
Crazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
EDIT: And the "buy Australian first" mantra went out with the dinosaurs. It may still be current in places like SA where Holdens are made, or Geelong, but here its a case of select the vehicle that suits your needs best.

:

yeah I checked WA fleet site and you are right.

Last edited by Crazed; 28-07-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #332
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed
Im betting cost does pay a big part, but for some agencies or depts they are compelled or mandated to buy Australian - which until now, meant they had to buy large cars.

Once the Aussie Cruze (about to say 'Focus' then, im still getting used to the idea of it not to be built here) comes online you will see a lot of departments buying it to save money but under the premise of 'going green'.

Never underestimate a manager to save a buck at the expense of employee comfort or wishes.

But, even if it dosnt get any conquest large car fleet buyers, it will get a lot of fleet small car buyers - All those govt or large business carparks filled with Corrollas, Focii, Mazda3s, and Tiidas will almost overnight become Cruzes.
Why do you think everyone will suddenly go silly for the Cruze? There's been the Camry here for a long time and that hasn't gone too well with govt. depts, nothing like what you are suggesting anyway and that is built here. Sure there are plenty on Corrolla's and Prius but still nothing of the epic buy ups you are predicting.

My prediction is that in 18 months to 2 years we will be able to look back on this thread and see that you got it wrong. Just because Holden (Daewoo) have a small/medium car doesn't mean all fleets are going to change over to them. I can see them going more towards the I4T Falcon before this Cruze.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #333
Crazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Why do you think everyone will suddenly go silly for the Cruze? There's been the Camry here for a long time and that hasn't gone too well with govt. depts, nothing like what you are suggesting anyway and that is built here. Sure there are plenty on Corrolla's and Prius but still nothing of the epic buy ups you are predicting.

My prediction is that in 18 months to 2 years we will be able to look back on this thread and see that you got it wrong. Just because Holden (Daewoo) have a small/medium car doesn't mean all fleets are going to change over to them. I can see them going more towards the I4T Falcon before this Cruze.

Well if anything the Camry confirms my prediction. It is the only Australian made 4 cylinder mid size car available and it dominates the mid sized sedan government fleet. When was the last time you saw a government plated Accord, Sonata, Mazda, Mondeo? Drive past Dept of Families carparks and they are full of Camrys. Likewise the only Australian built sixes dominate the 6 cylinder govt market. How many govt Maximas, Accord v6s, Skoda Superbs do you see?

But as its been pointed out, taxpayer money is used less and less to buy Australian, so maybe when the Cruze is out no fleets will really care.

I still stand by my prediction of it being the best selling small car within 12 months of Aust production, but hey if im wrong, im wrong. Il be the first to say it!
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #334
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Actually, Government Departments fawn over the Camry, because its cheap, easy to drive and has reasonable resale. Toyota probably give quite a handsome National Fleet Discount too. I hate driving them, they're horrible cars, but they're all over the shop around here. I've actually been allocated an automatic Corolla at the moment, an 07 plate, plain white with govt plates and no leccy windows in the back, but its actually not a bad little car. I'd much sooner drive that than any of the Camrys here. Ugh.

Executive Directors and whatnot are eligible for the GVS, which means they can choose a 'higher spec' car, even the Mazda 6, but still must be 4 cylinder. Hondas are banned because of their cost, and as I have pointed out earlier, so are 6cyl cars unless they are LPG or there is a demonstrated operational need. For general fleet use, non-LPG 6cyl cars are banned.

If the Cruze is going to make any inroads to Government fleets like StateFleet, then it will be replacing the likes of Corollas, Lancers and Hyundais that are here. Provided that the National Fleet Discount from Holden is sharp. Holden may not want to come to the party with discounts (may not want to see its new little darling as a fleet hack) and in which case it won't get much of a sniff.

No, where the I4 and LI LPG Falcon will win, is with replacing Camry-type and size vehicles but only if the Falcon's tailpipe emissions come in under the threshold set by the policy.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #335
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Cast-off ‘premium’ diesel for Territory

More detail on the Diesel & LPG engines:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAuto
FORD Australia says its new 2.7-litre diesel Territory SUV – set to go into production in 2011 – will provide best-in-class performance, even though the engine is already being superseded in high-end applications by Land Rover, Jaguar, Peugeot and Citroen.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576010007F3F8
Old 28-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #336
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Ford Falcon EcoBoosted

EcoBoost this time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAuto
FORD Australia's plan to embrace Ford’s ‘One Ford’ global strategy will become a reality in less than two weeks as it begins testing the ground-breaking new 2.0-litre turbocharged direct-injection four-cylinder EcoBoost engine in the Australian-built Falcon.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25760000159F9E
Old 28-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #337
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
More detail on the Diesel & LPG engines:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576010007F3F8

Quote:
There is also no plan to fit the new four-cylinder EcoBoost engine in the Territory as it lacks the torque required for such a heavy vehicle.
I find this quote strange. Don't they plan to offer the I4T ecoboost in the F150? Surely if it lacks enough torque to move the terry there would be the same problem with the F150?

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #338
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Ford is looking to make EcoBoost engines available on more than 90% of its fleet by 2013. We were told the 3.5-liter V6 currently offered in numerous vehicles will soon be making its way into the F-150 lineup, but when asked how the high-output 2.0-liter might fare in Ford’s iconic hauler, the engineers answered with a terse yet effective “no.”
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/upto...ecoboost-.html
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #339
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing
I find this quote strange. Don't they plan to offer the I4T ecoboost in the F150? Surely if it lacks enough torque to move the terry there would be the same problem with the F150?
I guess the 205kw/380nm wont be the power output...more on the 175kw/320nm side.
Old 28-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #340
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Despite the fans like us still wanting the I6 and the I6T, I can see this as only being a good thing on behalf of Ford. Imagine how many who are scared of a 6 cylinder because of its perceived fuel consumption will look for the more attractive 4 cylinder car in the Ford? Around Strathfield I can see the rivers of camrys being "ford"ed.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #341
Bossxr8
Peter Car

One thing thats making me intrigued is what happens to the I6 if the diesel in the Territory and the 4T in the Falcon start taking away sales from it. If I6 numbers drop any lower it will become unviable, that was why the V6 decision was made, the I6's numbers were getting low enough to make it unviable to spend R&D dollars on. Its OK for now, till at least 2014 we've been told, but will the V6 replace it after that or do they have more future plans to keep it viable?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #342
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I was led to believe that, because of Ford's change to 6 year product plans, any all-new Falcon (if there will be one) will be out around that time and be designed right from the start for the Duratec.

Burela has said in media articles recently that they're still "10-12 months away" from having to make a decision on the Falcon's future, which will be mid-way through 2010, so that ties in with a roughly 4 year lead time from hard design to release.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #343
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Because Ford Australia will be one of the last companies to use the 2.7-litre engine, development costs have been amortised. This means the price per unit will be far less than it would have been when the powerplant was new, allowing Ford to offer the diesel at a reasonable premium over the petrol version.

Ford Asia Pacific and South Africa chief engineer Rob Conner said the engine would be significantly better than existing diesels in mid-size SUV rivals.

“It is quite a hi-tech engine compared to some of the basic competition,” he said. “It is going to be a great installation.”
Wonder what the price premium will be? $2,000 maybe?

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #344
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Wonder what the price premium will be? $2,000 maybe?
Ford is forming a habit of being able to surprise people, I think it's be closer to the $1000.00 premium as they've alluded to better pricing. Their Injected LPG will pobably be commensurate with the petrol once whatever if any government rebate applies to the price.

Quote: