Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-06-2006, 09:11 PM   #10
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

when going for your licence, you MUST double clutch now. if you change clutchless AFTER you get the licence, good, but to do it on the test is instant DQ.

the best thing you can do is to get in the practice truck in a BIG open area like a deserted carpark and practice changing up and down the lower box.

once you can do this, then try the upper box as well. leave the splitter for once you are confident with full gears.

it may be useful for you to go for a run with your mate and watch the tacho, his accelerator foot and the gearshift, and see how its syncronised together to get a nice shift.

i find that gently accelerating then putting light pressure on the gearshift towards the next gear, then rolling gently off the throttle is the easiest way to get it to drop out of gear while learning. you then time the rpm drop to get it into the next gear from neutral. if you chop the throttle off it will 'grab' in gear and not want to change out.

personaly i tend to change very fast, split shift the top box ( 18 speed behind a c-12, so its torquey as all getout). but its taken me a few years of practice to get the timing down sweet. altho i find no use for jake shifting on the new elec engines. too much delay in the jake coming on.

the biggest thing, would be staying confident. once you become intimidated by the rig, you'll make mistakes. thats why i suggest a deserted area to play with the box.

Last edited by AceofSpades; 26-06-2006 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post