Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #31
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 
Default Re: Painting vs Powdercoating wheels

$50 blasted and coated. I'm happy with the finish, except in the cracks between the centre and outer rim section, you can see a few little globs of the powder coating.....looks like it bubbled up for some reason during the baking?? Not sure if that's typical or if it's due to operator error?

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #32
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Preperation is key mate ... but that still looks sweet
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #33
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
does all the crap spray off fairly easily?
Damn just noticed who ya were LOL !!

Would ya like that cross over done mate ?

My shout
Old 15-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #34
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
Not sure what you are looking at newbie but the finish is faultless

Also both sets of rims had gutter rash , the PC fills the gaps, if they were to be painted in 2pac then you would need to repair them as well... the black rims were done approx 8 months before the pic of the red car was taken .. they are still mint because i remove them every 3 months and wash the back / front complete rim while detailing the Brembo's..

And so far no gutter rash either so a lesson has been learnt as well ...
Any idea how they would handle stone chips (esp on occassional dirt roads)? What did they set you back for prep/powder coat? Is there a clear coat on them? Have they kept their sheen?
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #35
56L
a.k.a PAULY

great rims
i am going to get 4 of my spare T3 5 spokes powdercoated in black,i have been quoted $100 per rim including the bead blasting
1947 ford thames tipper V8 21 stud flat head
1939 ford beer barrel truck V8 24 stud flat head
HZJ diesel ute
HJ47 diesel ute
56L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #36
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
Any idea how they would handle stone chips (esp on occassional dirt roads)? What did they set you back for prep/powder coat? Is there a clear coat on them? Have they kept their sheen?
Dirt roads NO idea mate ??

But $75 rim my cost .... i love the finish...
Old 15-08-2011, 11:57 PM   #37
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
Damn just noticed who ya were LOL !!

Would ya like that cross over done mate ?

My shout
you headin to parkes for the bseries mate? Thinking it will go sweet with the brakes an the rocker cover lol but it's all good happy to pay
Old 16-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #38
Road Games

I will make it happen buddy ..
Old 16-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #39
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

powder coating is definately better,

the earlier post saying there is no prep work done for it?? lol
the sandblasting that is done before the powdercoat is applied makes the surface area of the metal about 10-15% more. there are tiny 'pits' and 'hills' everywhere, the gives the powdercoat grip like nothing else.
and then it is baked on too, which hardens it like a ceramic style coating.
if you chip it there is still a huge grip of the coating to the metal.
powdercoating can be polished if you want a super flat mirror like finish too!

you just need to ask around who is the best at their job (powdercoaters)
and check out their work before you drop your parts off.
20 years ago i had some parts done and there were lots of tiny bubbles in it.
i complained and they reacoated it and baked it at a lower temp for longer, resulting in an almost mirror flat surface and excellent gloss.
imho some PC'ers will turn up the heat to hurry the job up and get it out sooner.

paint is a applied to a flat surface, then it is covered by the next coat etc etc, etch primer, primer, basecoat, clear.
and then there are drying times involved inbetween coats
if each layer of paint is applied too quick the layers can later 'seperate'
example how many times do you see clearcoat coming off car panels,
once you get a chip or scratch in it, it weakens the bond between the base and clear,
you can just about pressure clean all the clear off.
being a painter / panel beater for a long time i have pressure cleaned clear layers off many panels, it's so much easier than rubbing it back...
i know what id be using if i wanted coloured wheels

cheers, craig

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #40
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have various engine components powdercoated including intale manifold top 1/2 and thermostat housing. after 5 years in the hot enviroment of an engine bay a quick hose and it looks as good as the day it was done

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #41
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

Find a Good powder coater and you will be amazed at how good it comes up. I have seen powder coat finishes that look like chrome and the types of finishes you can get now are amazing. They are harder to touch up if damaged but the amount of time and the force needed to really stuff the finish would for me out way the hassel to touch it up.

Powder Coat FTW

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #42
nasss92

does anyone know of a good powdercoater in sydney? and also rough cost estimates?
nasss92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #43
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

powder coated the frame on my custom harley back in 1989 nice smooth glossy finish did 64,000 miles on that bike including about 10,000 on dirt awlays cleaned up glossy and never a stone chip
davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #44
NeillNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has contributed a number of great technical articles for people with X Series cars. 

Not speaking from experience, only what I've heard. The problem with powder coating is that when chipped it allows water to get underneath. It is all down hill from there as over time the water can cause the coating to lift. Keen to hear from anyone who knows more about this.

I had my steel wheels ceramic coated. I'm not sure but I guess the colour range is fairly limited.

Where the inner and outer sections of the wheel meet I have squirted in a thin bead of neutral cure UV stable silicon. As it is a perfect rust trap in there.
NeillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #45
jozza76

I'm in the process of painting my rims at the moment, 3 down and 1 to go. I'm painting the stock BA MKII Rims gloss black. Doing it myself, 4 coats of etch primer and 4 coats of gloss black engine enamel. The first wheel has been on for about a month, and still looks awesome, no chips etc, time will tell though. But touching it up should be a simple process should the need arise. It has cost me about $20 to do each wheel, so I can't complain.
jozza76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #46
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasss92
does anyone know of a good powdercoater in sydney? and also rough cost estimates?
This. Anybody know anyone and how much? Im leaning towards powdercoating my wheels as its not worth buying new wheels....

It goes through alot offroad so what are all your thoughts?

And yeh im aware its an old thread.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #47
Chippa666

I bought a set of second hand rims of ebay site unseen except for the pics put up and discovered when I got them delivered that they were badly damaged from hitting gutters. Nothing beyond repair though. Due to this I didn't think it would have been worth sending them away to get repaired then powder coated so I repaired them myself. They have been on the car for a year now and I think I've washed them once in that time and they are still o.k.!!

original rim when it arrived ( and not the worst one):

During the repair:

Undercoat:

Then final colour:

Only thing was I rushed a bit, so I could have done a few more coats on each rim. I was going to clear coat them with clear brake caliper paint which is resistant to the brake dust and brake fluid but liked the satin finish they ended up having after painting. All up it took me a week to sand all 4 rims, file, fill and repair the damage to each rim, primer them completely all over then paint them in 4 coats. I haven't had too many issues with stone chips at all, but I did clip a section of my retaining wall which was hanging out a little to far in my driveway and scratched one of them! Other than that painting them hasn't been an issue.

Chippa
Chippa666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #48
Flat Top
lid man

we do both powder and wet spray,
IF YOU START with a raw part we powdercoat prime and do quite often put a wetspray on top for the likes of chrome and chrome shadow (yes it is sprayed).(for solid colours powdercoat is fine on its own!)

Needless to say the raw casting has to be chromated first to give adhesion and chip resistance.
Considering you want to recoat only then wet spray is the way to go!(you dont have to strip back)
Solid and mettallic colours are possible on both applications even clear and chrome options are available Now. Powdercoating gives better chip resistance and will take the heat (brakes)

trev -Progress spray
Flat Top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #49
andre3000

I know its an old thread but i had the same predicament paint or powdercoat my 12 slots.

Anyway i was going to take the "ring everyone in the yellow pages" approach, i only managed to ring one person today. Alpha Powder Coating in Dandenong, Victoria quoted me $40 a wheel (not sure how good they are). Just thought id post it, as everyone elses quotes seemed a lot pricier.

ps. Chippa666 your wheels turned out amazing
andre3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post