Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #31
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mitsubishi 380 - Opinions on reliability, economy etc.

mechanicaly the 380's fine, you'll either love it or not in a 5 min test drive I hated mine before I got off the M7 on the way home from picking it up

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #32
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Why on earth did you buy a car you hate?

We've had ours for 3.5 years now, a S3 VR-X, great all round family car for the money, came with almost all the features as standard. I added factory Bluetooth but I just replaced it last weekend with a double DIN JVC head unit.

I haven't had a window regulator problem myself yet, but I've heard about them.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #33
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebaby
I added factory Bluetooth but I just replaced it last weekend with a double DIN JVC head unit.
have you got some info on the install? Is this the fascia?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubish...-/260969171886

im keen to see how it looks? A cheap GPS double din touchscreen would improve the standard dash 100% i reckon.... hmm ideas
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #34
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had my 380 (S1 2005 LX) for over a year now. Picked it up with 63,000kms on it and it now has 88,000kms. I travel from Sunshine Coast to Brisbane for work and it averages around 7.8-8.3L/100km depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Problems have been 2 window regulators and that's it. I changed the auto transmission fluid myself when I got it and got the 75k service done at a local yard.

It's really quiet and refined, handles well, the interior doesn't creak and groan like older Falcons and Commodores, the transmission is silky smooth.

Tips: If you're buying one around the 100,000km mark, make sure the timing belt and plugs have been done, because that's a big service. Not all VRX's came with leather, it was an option only. GT, GTL and LX all come with leather standard. GTL and LX have the cream leather interior, LS has cream cloth interior. VRX/SX/GT/GTL/LX all share the sports suspension, ES and LS share the standard softer suspension. SX and VRX have the same cloth bucket seats, GT and GTL get the same seats but with leather, LS and ES get flatter standard seats and LX gets the same seats but with leather. There was also a limited edition which got bluetooth, sunroof, chrome grille and some got leather too. GT, GTL, LX and Limited edition all came standard with a sunroof.

Biggest tip I could give you, is look around. I must have looked at 15 different 380's when I was buying mine, all different models, and there was a big difference in how a lot of them drove. Some of them felt very old and worn and only had around 80,000kms on them, some even less. The ones that have been looked after will feel tight as a drum and silky smooth. I ended up getting a 2005 LX with 63,000kms on it in absolutely mint condition for $14k a year ago. No exterior marks at all, not even a stone chip, and the cream leather was in as new condition. It really was a show room quality car. So, do your homework, and don't settle for any car, because there are really good ones out there.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #35
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I owned two Magnas, one was a new limited edition model and one was the top end VRX model I got used later ... both cars had less quality issues than my current FG which i bough new!

They are boring cars to drive, but quality wise I found them to be better than the two Fords I owned.
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #36
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebaby
Why on earth did you buy a car you hate?

We've had ours for 3.5 years now, a S3 VR-X, great all round family car for the money, came with almost all the features as standard. I added factory Bluetooth but I just replaced it last weekend with a double DIN JVC head unit.

I haven't had a window regulator problem myself yet, but I've heard about them.
I didnt buy it its supplied buy work, and come january when I resign I will take a car allowance and kiss it goodbye

you know its a bucket O crap when I would ratehr PAY for the petrol and drive my wifes car on weekends and after work than sit my **** back in the 380

Old 21-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #37
zilo
BANNED

If you are really interested in info about the 380 then you can visit 380db.com.au to see info about the car.

All the service manuals, specs, after market stuff etc are on the site run by people who swear by the reliabilty and build quality.

It is one of the sites that I moderate.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #38
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
might have to start a poll soon, tossing up between a couple cars @ 11-12k atm

yes i will test drive them, but obviously a 5 min drive isnt the same as owning the thing a long period of time, and seeing its flaws
At that price, they're good buying and if over 100,000, just make sure belt has been done or you can add $500 or so to purchase price for that service (or drop your offer by as much).

I have had mine since April last year - so am 18 months through a 3 year lease. I drive it daily, and quite enjoy it. As with all cars, I sometimes wish I drove something else, but after driving our territory for a few days (which I do really enjoy driving), I get back into the "Magna" (380) and it still brings a smile to my face. It is a great car to drive with enough power, good gearbox, good brakes, great handling etc.

My Ford car history is:
Ford AU1 XR8 Manual
Ford AU1 XR6 VCT auto
Ford AU1 XR8 Auto
Ford AU2 Forte V8 auto
Ford AU2 Forte I6 wagon auto
Ford AU1 Fairmont I6 auto
Ford AU2 XR8 220 auto
There were a couple of E series 6s and V8s in there too, plus an Explorer V8 for a while as well.

And while the V8s sounded better than the 380, I don't think any of them were as good all round as the 380 is. They are certainly worth "considering".
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #39
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
I didnt buy it its supplied buy work, and come january when I resign I will take a car allowance and kiss it goodbye

you know its a bucket O crap when I would ratehr PAY for the petrol and drive my wifes car on weekends and after work than sit my **** back in the 380
In your opinion.......

In my opinion, the 380 is a good all rounder - we are even considering keeping it at the end of the current lease.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #40
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
In your opinion.......

In my opinion, the 380 is a good all rounder - we are even considering keeping it at the end of the current lease.
Yes this is very true it is my opinion and you are just as entitled to yours as I am in mine

Like I said above mechanically and reliability wise it's been fine I just think its not a well designed platform (my opinion) I also said he will know after a test drive if he likes it or not as it's not like it's full of inherent problems,

As for resale it's an orphan so there won't be any as long as you take this in to consideration and are happy with the way they drive (I'm not) go for it

If you want a better balanced front wheel drive V6 there's better options to consider IMHOI actually feel the camery is a better package it's not my idea of a great car but it's a better handling more refined platform

Old 22-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #41
AU Mont
Banned

yeah was considering aurion, but apprently all the ones before the 09/10 update have rattly & creaking dashes to the point where people want to sell just for that reason.

Can be fixed with updated clips & more foam added at a cost of $600+

Also reports of the 6 speed flaring between gear changes for up to a second, which toyota says is 'normal'

But then you have a FG which has its fair share of niggly problems (alot of them unacceptable for a car thats had years of evolution & plenty chances to get it right) which also falls on the deaf ears of dealers, not that they know much about their own car they sell anyway.

Then we have the mitsu 380 which has a crap interior & probably the least refined, however has minimal issues and dealers seem to bend over backwards to keep these things going. Being an orphan is the only thing that has me seconding guessing myself.

i hate cars
Old 22-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #42
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Quote:
have you got some info on the install? Is this the fascia?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubish...-/260969171886

im keen to see how it looks? A cheap GPS double din touchscreen would improve the standard dash 100% i reckon.... hmm ideas
Basically, if I did it, it was easy. I just bought the fascia from a local dealer, the new deck used the original stacker's brackets.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #43
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's no question that they are reliable, I think aside from the regulators there is no real inerrant problems

Mines now done 120,000 and it doesn't rattle (that you can hear over the road noise) etc.

Take one for a drive as you can see some love them some are eh whatever and I HATE it

If you were to buy one I don't think you would be buying a bomb so that won't be the problem

Old 22-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #44
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
it definitely suffered at the hands of the auto media. a lady at work has one, is reluctant to upgrade/trade-up. the same woman who snorted at my AU.
the auto media was a huuuge issue...but some dopes will still tell u cars survive on merrit.we are using a magna at the moment and find it a great car.best thing id mention is great throttle response...worse thing???looks maybe..but same as ussual thats sublective. been very reliable
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #45
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith
If a good turning circle is important to you forget it, otherwise thought it was a nice refined car.
Better get a Volvo then ?

VE Commodore...... 11.4m turning circle
Mitsubishi 380....... 11.2m turning circle
FG Ford .................11.0m turning circle
Volvo 940 ...............9.0m turning circle
Old 22-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #46
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man, my old Evo 8 had an 11.8m turning circle - that was painful.
Old 22-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #47
AU Mont
Banned

ive found the car..... omg the price is right too !!!

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-2007-13210602

Old 22-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #48
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a fan of the blue interior treatment he's given it, but other than that it's got a few nice bits on it. Cold air intake and extractors really open these engines up - reports are about 25kwatw with those 2 mods.

Take it for a drive and see how it feels to you.
Old 22-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #49
Scrawny
Starter Motor

We bought our '08 manual VR-X in 2009 with 12k on the clock, it's now coming up to its 90k service & the only problems we've had are a leaking drive shaft seal & the obligatory window regulator. Both were fixed under warranty.

It has pretty good economy, a load of grunt for overtaking & entering a motorway, heaps of room in the back for the 3 kids & the missus is comfortable driving it (it's her daily driver).

I have agree with Yeti on the turning circle, it's pretty bad, but other than that, I can't fault it.
Scrawny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #50
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeah was considering aurion,

Also reports of the 6 speed flaring between gear changes for up to a second, which toyota says is 'normal'

i hate cars
There is one thing in my opinion bitsamissing got right I believe its shift is very good

Old 22-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #51
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
Not a fan of the blue interior treatment he's given it, but other than that it's got a few nice bits on it. Cold air intake and extractors really open these engines up - reports are about 25kwatw with those 2 mods.

Take it for a drive and see how it feels to you.
only joking , ive come across a few abominations in different makes/models/brands and it reminds me of myself 15 years ago, shame they have pretty much killed any chance of selling the car

on a different note, am dead set keen on making some calls and test driving a few............ as soon as the person buying my AU V8 follows through on his deposit.
Old 22-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #52
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a feeling you were being sarcastic, but then I looked at the car and it has genuine OZ rims with 4 pot Evo Brembos, sat nav and a decent stereo. He's asking far too much for it, but it wouldn't be a bad car.
Old 22-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #53
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
. Cold air intake and extractors really open these engines up - reports are about 25kwatw with those 2 mods.

Don't believe everything you read on forums mate.
Old 22-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #54
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
There is one thing in my opinion bitsamissing got right I believe its shift is very good

Yes I love the way the auto shifts when you put the foot down a bit. I haven't felt another car shift like it.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #55
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Real nice cars . Aurion is one to consider , my mate owns a zr6 . Stock it's run 14.6 1/4 with a 130kg driver . Been driven hard and never missed a beat . Economy is good too !

I would drive the 380 and aurion and compare after a drive .

Cars are like women ... Sure people might like a similar model , but there always tweaked to suit ;)

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .
dieseltrain79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #56
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I looked at Aurion before I bought my 380 - I found model for model, for the kit you get, the Aurion was on average, at least $5k-$7k more expensive. Additionally, the 380 makes more torque down low and handles a hell of a lot better without compromising ride quality.
Old 23-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #57
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
Don't believe everything you read on forums mate.
It's more than one person, and all have dyno graphs etc to back it up. The 380 headers have one cat in each bank, then a 3rd cat in the exhaust system, plus 2 mufflers and a restricted air intake to make the drive by noise regulation limit and you start to get the point. The 90mm Galant intake (what the NZ 380 gets) is good for 5kW (180kW at the engine) on its own. The cats and mufflers are worth about 20 more.
Old 23-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #58
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd believe it . My old mans 3.5 magna just had extractors and full exhaust done . Crazy improvement ! Alot of the magna guys have dyno proof of 20+ rwkw gains .

Can't see why not either, if you seem what stock is on them ! Hehe .

But reading people's input won't change a test drive IMO

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .
dieseltrain79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #59
AU Mont
Banned

apparently already have a mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust?

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php...sk=view&id=202
Old 23-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #60
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Had one as a company car for 9 months, drove ok, bit thirsty, but for the right dollars, not a bad buy.
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post