Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default FGXR6T vs. VFSS

Smashes it to 100 and seems to win hands down as a driver's car, but the VF wins overall (mostly due to FG interior tiredness)

http://theage.drive.com.au/new-car-c...530-2nd5z.html

usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 
Default Re: FGXR6T vs. VFSS

Falcon gets better drift angles so tsuchiya would like it better on the touge. Speaking of Japan and drifting, if that reviewer wore yellow I think he'd look like pikachu.

Last edited by Alan D Segal; 30-05-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After reading that, is their anyone out there who paid 52 plus on road for an XR6 turbo?
& secondly, the new SS is almost 1/2 a second slower to 100 k's! I don't think it's measurable how much Australian Ford fans are going to miss THAT engine!
It is a gem!
Old 30-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Still bodes well for the resale values of the XR6T. Personally surprised how well it compared to the VF, surprising comments regarding the transmission though.

Hers
BFII Ghia

Last edited by GQ_Smooth; 30-05-2013 at 01:58 PM.
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love the Holden Cruze steering wheel in the SS!!

Last edited by joolz; 19-08-2015 at 06:04 PM.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like the upcoming Falcon interior upgrade is much needed, I imagine the door trims will be staying but the dash will get a major overhaul, which should once again bring it above the Commodore in all areas.
Old 30-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Ford looks a lot better

And what is with those shocking Commodore wheels, and the front grille being gloss black but the rear mat black???
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see a balanced review. The turbo looks a lot tougher imo than the SS
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
cool65
carefactor zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz View Post
I love the Holden Cruze steering wheel in the SS!!
The SS wheel has flat bottom, so.. it must be for the flat headed holden drivers
cool65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
Rodge
Banned

Retail price on the XR6T needs to be cut immediatly to $41,990 to match the SS.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
Trump
bitch lasagne

This:

Quote:
It’s six-speed auto is well mated to the force-fed engine, but it’s not as refined as the similar gearbox in the Holden which has a nicer and more mechanical feel when used in manual mode and smoother shifts under heavy loads.
made me laugh quite heartily
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Why does that make you laugh? Have you driven a VF? Remember the ZF is approaching a decade old...
2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Retail price on the XR6T needs to be cut immediatly to $41,990 to match the SS.
$39,990 atm Rodge. Like I said earlier, 52 for the XRt, don't think so!
Old 30-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Why does that make you laugh? Have you driven a VF? Remember the ZF is approaching a decade old...
Unless Holden have gone to ZF for the auto in the VF range, there is nothing in the GM Powertrain catalogue that comes close to the decade old ZF 6 speed.
5 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 18 View Post
Okay...yeah, that's where they need to be. Interesting that the SS used a bit less fuel than the XR6T. 13.5 L/100 km's is pretty good for a V8 car that's driven under the hammer on review, especially for a new tight motor. Probably 5.5 seconds on a dry track Rob and the usual 5.1-5.2 for the XR6T, I'd say.

I'd definitly put myself in the "Doubting Thomas" camp regarding any Holden gearbox being better than the ZF.
Old 30-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #16
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
Good to see a balanced review. The turbo looks a lot tougher imo than the SS
A review isnt meant to be balanced, its meant to factually record its findings. If its a landslide in one direction it should say so.

Theres no way the ZF gearbox can be less refined than the GM offering. Its already smooth as smooth can be. Perhaps GM has caught up.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Unless Holden have gone to ZF for the auto in the VF range, there is nothing in the GM Powertrain catalogue that comes close to the decade old ZF 6 speed.
Have you driven one? What are you basing your expert assessment on?
That is not the first time in recent memory I have seen the Commodore's Auto review better than the Fords. We are not in BF any more you know, things might have move on...
Old 30-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #18
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
That is not the first time in recent memory I have seen the Commodore's Auto review better than the Fords. We are not in BF any more you know, things might have move on...
I have actually. Is it better than the self shifters in the VE's , certainly. Is it better than the ZF, in my opinion, no. It lacks the smoothness of the ZF and still hunts a bit (although nowhere near as bad as the auto in the VE SS).

Having said that, I'd buy a manual VF SS. Functionally, the interior accoutrements are way better than whats in my FG XR6T, and I love the lower seating position.
Old 30-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #19
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Whichever side of the debate one takes here we know Ford are moving to the Mk2 version of the ZFHP26 gearbox known as the ZF HP28 next year which according to ZF offers substaintial improvements in a number of key areas incl shift times below the threshold of human perception...
http://wardsauto.com/news-amp-analys...p-transmission
Even if Holden have caught up, (which I seriously doubt and would have to experience for myself to believe), it won't be for long.

Last edited by Rodge; 30-05-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 30-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #20
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58 View Post
Sounds like the upcoming Falcon interior upgrade is much needed, I imagine the door trims will be staying but the dash will get a major overhaul, which should once again bring it above the Commodore in all areas.
In saying that, they also said

Quote:
While the Falcon’s interior is simpler than the Commodore’s, its finish is more consistent and some of its materials, such as the subtle piano black/carbon fibre trim, brushed alloy-look highlights and its plastics, are nicer to touch.
So it's not all bad.

I do know GM worked hard to improve the shift quality and overall 'friendliness' of the 6 speed auto, but when the 201X Falcon arrives, it will bring the Gen II ZF with it which should shade any VF automatic.

So what I take from that review is that whilst the VF SS is good, the FGII XR6T has its measure in all but a few areas which are a given for its age.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #21
Rodge
Banned

^^ Yeap, its not all one sided and when the 2014 G6ET comes out with blind spot, adaptive cruise control, the new gearbox and hopefully one or two other improvements, it'll be game on compared to the V8 Calais-V.
Old 30-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #22
BlueOvalPrint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 18 View Post
I just went to the Ford website to get a price for the XR6T (no Lux pack) for regional NSW/ACT: RRP $51,565! But then I clicked the "or see latest offers" button next to it: $39,490 with 5 years/200000km warranty. Pretty confusing, and if someone got sticker shock at the first price they could write a XR6T off their shopping list pretty fast.

The other issue is having to dig into the site to find that price, I guess it's too much to ask for FoA to actually advertise this special on TV/radio/newspapers/ it own website front page...
BlueOvalPrint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #23
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
^^ Yeap, its not all one sided and when the 2014 G6ET comes out with blind spot, adaptive cruise control, the new gearbox and hopefully one or two other improvements, it'll be game on compared to the V8 Calais-V.
Well - I don't know about adaptive cruise, but it should have the rest of it. Plus a few other unexpected things.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #24
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep people have been saying that for years, The falcon RRP pricing is just plain stupid!

As for the reviews I do agree with them, the Falcon interior is most definitely showing its age, if I was in the market this year instead of last year the SS would get my vote.

Also people don’t forget that this is only a base SS spec, the V adds more kit, and the Redline really takes performance more seriously with much better suspension, wider rear tyres, brembo brakes … Ford really does not have anything comparable unless you look at FPV.

I am however massively disappointed at Holden for selling the much better car in the USA for a lot less $$$. They get the 6.2, more interior kit, and all for much less than the Redline asking price … there no better way to say than FU Holden!!!
Old 30-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #25
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A different review that talks about the Commodore transmission

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/566...lian-road-test

Quote:
There’s one area, though, in which the VF positively shines: the automatic transmission. It is now every bit as good as a ZF - this auto is very impressive.

With its rapid response to kickdown (in normal or sport mode) and its unflappable selection of the right ratios for the conditions, it is a true revelation to the Commodore.

Manual downshifts are extremely quick and done with a delicious rev-matching blip that does a good impersonation of a DSG. Upshifts are slower, of course, but the way it slurs from gear to gear is a delight.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #26
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR6T/G6ET my fav Falcons of all time.

I love the popping on gear change, ahhh
2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #27
BossBrand
Starter Motor

The plain SS looks so camryish.. yuck
New interior in the lovely FG shape and we'll have a winner (till 2016 that is)
BossBrand is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #28
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

$39,000 for an FG2 xr6t! wow
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #29
damo6
turbo pilot

having recently stepped out of an auto ve ss i can say for certain that even at 10yrs old the ZF box absolutely ***** all over anything GM have, the auto box going into the VF i'm pretty sure wont be much better.auto boxes have never been a stellar feature of GM..and i love my fg turbo BTW,my ss ute would match it performance wise but my ute was not stock-tuned,pipes,cai etc.. so in std form the ss doesnt have a chance from my experiance considering the VE and VF share identical outputs.

Last edited by AU1XLS; 31-05-2013 at 10:43 AM.
damo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #30
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes the ZF in my FG XR6T is smooth but the ********** diff bush clunk ruins it all!!
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: