Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #61
Rodge
Banned

Default Re: FGXR6T vs. VFSS

If you look closely at the FG interior you'll see the outside drivers seat bolster, (if you can call it that), starting to crease. Ford cannot make decent seat bolsters if their life depended on it, to call their seat bolsters woefully inadequate is being kind... whereas have a look at the new seats in the Holden and you'll see what appear to be decent seat bolstering.

Seats and the steering wheel are very, very important, its what you touch and feel every time you drive the car and in regard to the seats you're counting on them to provide decent lateral support in the corners, (something which Falcon seats simply don't do), unless its a a SC GT-P. I agree with Mcnews the steering wheel is pretty ordinary too.

The seats in the Falcon desperatly need a thorough re-design and lower seat base hight wouldn't hurt either.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #62
WASP
Whipple Induced

The seat position and bolster quality in my XR6T is pretty ordinary. In comparison to my Mk 2 BA GT anyway. I think they must have changed suppliers or something for FG.
This user likes this post:
Old 31-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #63
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASP View Post
The seat position and bolster quality in my XR6T is pretty ordinary. In comparison to my Mk 2 BA GT anyway. I think they must have changed suppliers or something for FG.
Yep, I think they must have. The leather in my BA GT-P was a class above what is on offer in the FG.

Having said that, I'm pretty happy with the seats in my GT. Recently we did a 500km round trip through the Hunter Valley and had no issues with comfort, stiffness or numb-bum at all. My wife is physically much smaller than me and she had no complaints either.
Old 31-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #64
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Seats and the steering wheel are very, very important, its what you touch and feel every time you drive the car and in regard to the seats you're counting on them to provide decent lateral support in the corners, (something which Falcon seats simply don't do), unless its a a SC GT-P. I agree with Mcnews the steering wheel is pretty ordinary too.

The seats in the Falcon desperatly need a thorough re-design and lower seat base hight wouldn't hurt either.
The seats in mine aren't bad. The bolsters are intact and quite firm, but obviously not GT-P spec (I would give my left nut for a decent GT-P interior).

The steering wheel, I'm getting mine retrimmed like what F6E did with his one. The wheel looks decent, but feels very ordinary. I loved my GT wheel in the BA.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #65
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHR View Post
UGLY!!!!

Not a fan
Maybe this will make it better...

Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #66
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Maybe this will make it better...

Cop spec or dealer fit accessory?
Old 31-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #67
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Yeah Holden accessory. Plastic covered steel-skeleton roo bar.
Old 31-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #68
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

So it took Holden 10 years to get their act together with their transmissions? Pat on the back guys.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #69
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

So the FG has probably done more journos than Debbie did cowboys in Dallas....but nonetheless...we shall compare a brand new driveline in the VF to the tired FG.....

Whack some bigger wheels on the VF and it would make it look much meatier and more in line with its muscle image. As it stands...the wheels are pathetic which is unusual for Holden ?

Interior.....hands down winner for the VF... No contest.....looks great...holden have done well.

Testing cars on a damp track....oh dear.... That kinda logic makes my my GT faster than a top fuel dragster to 60......
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #70
purnong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Dame Edna spec
purnong is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #71
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by purnong View Post
Dame Edna spec
I'll pay that
Old 31-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #72
peaterj
Donating Member

Quote:
For me, the base $34,990 Evoke is starting to look better than the SS.

Evoke is just over $39,000 d/a without premium paint lot of money for a base model, i predict there will be xmas specials to get rid of stock.
peaterj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #73
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
The steering wheel is poxy in FG, and you get the same taxi one across all variants.
I've done a tonne of track laps, never really taken much notice of its looks but love the steering wheel for its ease to use and the feedback that you get from your input.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #74
Phyber
BF= Backend's Farked

First I've heard of a new model ZF gearbox, awesome! Wish I could afford one :/

Quote:
ZF says the new 6 HP 28 can handle engines with a torque output of up to 553 lb.-ft. (750 Nm), which covers a wide range of large-displacement gasoline and diesel engines.
Modders rejoice!

-------------------------------------------
BFII XR6T - ZF box
Racewars 2017 result - 800m @ 229km/h - 1000m @ 241km/h
PB: 317rwkw - 11.94 @ 120mph - 2.093 60'
PB: Stock/208rwkw - 13.594 @ 105mph - 2.297 60'
-------------------------------------------
Phyber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #75
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
Funny that. I actually think the FG steering wheel is one of the most comfortable designs Ford has ever put in the Falcon.
I agree better than my Maloo's wheel and that stupid barrel arrangement, GT's far more classy!
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
PHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #76
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So in 2006 it took Holden 1 billion dollars to make a car better slightly than the BF Falcon and again now VF just ahead of a 5 year old FG. FG...Freaking Great
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #77
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

That FG / VF interior comparison above .....

clear win to FG. And not by a small margine in my mind.

VF looks cobbled together, tacky, cheap, like the design team didn't get along, as been mentioned - looks more at home in a mid spec Korean. Speed stripes on the seats? That friggin huge slab of chromed plastic emelishment comprising half the dash board? Even the ICC display looks pox compared to FG.

I dislike that VF interior so much, I rate it 4/10, and despite it's age, I'd rate the Fg 7/10.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #78
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
So the FG has probably done more journos than Debbie did cowboys in Dallas....but nonetheless...we shall compare a brand new driveline in the VF to the tired FG.....

Whack some bigger wheels on the VF and it would make it look much meatier and more in line with its muscle image. As it stands...the wheels are pathetic which is unusual for Holden ?

Interior.....hands down winner for the VF... No contest.....looks great...holden have done well.

Testing cars on a damp track....oh dear.... That kinda logic makes my my GT faster than a top fuel dragster to 60......
interior is "pretty" but how it works in real life ??? once the novelty wears off will it be any better of a daily or more comfy than the falcon?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #79
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
interior is "pretty" but how it works in real life ??? once the novelty wears off will it be any better of a daily or more comfy than the falcon?
A park bench is more comfortable than a FG, I HATE the low steering wheel in mine. I'm exaggerating but if the wheel could go higher it would make a big difference for me.
3 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #80
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASP View Post
Yes I agree, the seating in my FG isn't all that flash. I've had the car for weeks and still can't find a good seating position. The driver's seat is too high, too small and the bolstering is weird.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #81
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Why has Holden used 1980's Atari graphics in their centre screen??

I think, overall, this is a let down with the interior of the car.

I agree though with others, it isn't a real step forward - more of a step to the left.

I think the 2008+ FG has done well and can hold it's head high.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #82
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A park bench is more comfortable than a FG, I HATE the low steering wheel in mine. I'm exaggerating but if the wheel could go higher it would make a big difference for me.
so what is different between the FG and the b series? has the floor been changed or have they changed the frame in the seats? or just put more seat padding?
i have only sat mostly in fg fpv`s , for me it was a little tight getting in but i just put it down to me being a big bugger, i found it a bit tight sliding my big carcass in under the steering wheel, but once i was in it seemed fine, both my old lexus and my au feel quite low.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #83
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I'm normal build at 5 ft 10, 85 kg, and don't have a problem at all with the seating position and steering wheel in my XR50. And the steering wheel isn't at the maximum height either, its set just high enough so I can see the top of the tacho/speedo. My legs clear the steering wheel with ease. It could be that my steering wheel is fully back to align better with the manual gearshift, the drivers seat is set back accordingly, and with the seat cushion at its lowest position and tilted up a little at the front. I find the positioning quite good actually and I don't feel that I'm sitting too high.

I just wonder if those having seating/steering wheel issues have spent a little time looking at the full range of travels available to get a better driving position.

The side bolster can suffer when the driver has a big bum, the inner bolster cant move as its against the console, so the driver ends up sitting on the outer bolster. the bolster in my XR50 is still fine after 40,000 kms.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 01-06-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #84
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
That FG / VF interior comparison above .....

clear win to FG. And not by a small margine in my mind.

VF looks cobbled together, tacky, cheap, like the design team didn't get along, as been mentioned - looks more at home in a mid spec Korean. Speed stripes on the seats? That friggin huge slab of chromed plastic emelishment comprising half the dash board? Even the ICC display looks pox compared to FG.

I dislike that VF interior so much, I rate it 4/10, and despite it's age, I'd rate the Fg 7/10.
Yep .... don't know why the FG interior gets such a battering. I like it, still do a few years on. Even the grey on grey looks good on the XT. FG11 with the screen looks even better.

As far as the seats go, The BA is high, the FG seems 'normal'. Especially jumping from one to the next.

Suppose it is all about taste of course .....

The main points against are the seat driver side bolster are a let done in almost all of the Falcon models and do deteriorate quicker than anything else. Also the rubber knob in the centre. If that was a metal chrome it would have finished it off wonderfully.

Comparison will be made of course but not bad the FG after being released in 2008 can hold its own with a brand new model. Some seem to forget the age between the 2.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #85
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
The point here is that Holden have created an interior that will most likely appeal to its competitors buyers. Its more tech savvy and looks decidedly different to its predecessor. Ergonomically it doesnt look that bad either. Holden arent stupid....this is their defining model....they have done their research. Ford on the other hand......we may not even see an FU if the FG stocks at the factory and dealer dont leave the floor.......

Im blue blood - but I wish the "aussie" holden all the best.....id rather see VF commodores on the road than those hideous Hyundai i40 and more hideous subaru libertys.......
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #86
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
The main points against are the seat driver side bolster are a let done in almost all of the Falcon models and do deteriorate quicker than anything else.
Which just isn't good enough as its arguably one of the most important parts of the car.
Ford are perfectly capable of making great seats,, (if their friggen accountants would stop being so bloody minded about cutting costs), sit in a BF2 Typhoon and you'll feel a great compromise between a GT-P seat and the soft & squishy seats with so called bolsters they presently serve up.

OTOH the stipe thing on the VF seats is a bloody stupid design idea in my opinion.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #87
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Which just isn't good enough as its arguably one of the most important parts of the car.
Ford are perfectly capable of making great seats,, (if their friggen accountants would stop being so bloody minded about cutting costs), sit in a BF2 Typhoon and you'll feel a great compromise between a GT-P seat and the soft & squishy seats with so called bolsters they presently serve up.

OTOH the stipe thing on the VF seats is a bloody stupid design idea in my opinion.
I thought both Ford and Holden seats were made by the same supplier (Futuris?)
If so, why are the Ford seats so poor in comparison to Holden?
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #88
Rodge
Banned

Wouldn't know but from the interior photo shots it appears the Holden bolsters are wider and higher and generally more pronounced and perhaps they use a different foam density in the bolsters ? Hardly anyone would have sat in them as Holden are claiming they're a new design.

I've had a good drive of a HSV E2 series GTS and HSV's seats right across the range have really good seat bolstering, whereas typical FPV's, (apeart from GT-P) "have standard XR6 seats with different fabric and suede feel inserts. After my BF2 Typhoon upgrade to a FG F6, I found myself really unhappy with the Fg F6 seats and even went to the best trimmer I could find and asked for a better outside seat bolster support but found you can't make a silk purse from a sour's ear.

Last edited by Rodge; 02-06-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #89
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

All Commodore engines will happily run on 91.

This can be an good saving in running costs.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #90
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I wonder if Holden are doing press specials again? Performance Drive got the SSV Redline from 0-100 in 4.8 seconds. That's quicker than they managed in a GT R Spec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUQK58XyGZU
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post