Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #31
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: 2018 Holden Commodore details released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Is the Camaro going to be built in RHD?

If not HSV are in trouble...what can they do with this?
I thought their AWD model would come with something better than a mildly tweaked SV6 engine.
Definitely not this generation of Camaro. That ship has sailed.

I think they are referring to Corvette, but that thing will be over 100k easily and at that price it's sales will be minimal.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #32
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Is the Camaro going to be built in RHD?

If not HSV are in trouble...what can they do with this?
I thought their AWD model would come with something better than a mildly tweaked SV6 engine.
HSV may go down the same path as FPV
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #33
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Could they (HSV or aftermarket) fit some turbos hidden underneath somewhere...... Would anyone actually want to own a car that looks like that and spend the money for turbos?
Old 26-10-2016, 05:28 PM   #34
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think a VXR would be a hit here. Most new cars I see on the road that aren't 4wds are either new WRX's or new CLA45's so there's certainly a market for that awd turbo stuff.

Top gear review of the current VXR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QypmXbwD1k
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-10-2016, 05:41 PM   #35
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
But v8's make up 40% of current Commodore sales, so overnight they will basically lose half their potential customers who would never want a rubbish V6. No manual gearbox either. Not to mention ute or LWB.

This abortion is going to fail big time. Thank god Falcon never had it's name attached to a boring hunk of junk like this.
Honestly I don’t believe Holden wants any part of that market for this model and the release of this info confirms it.

They have in no uncertain terms said to the performance crowd Adios.

And fair enough as its future should be about growth and both Ford and Holden had stagnated and were convincingly over taken or at least matched by a broad range of competition.

It’s already been speculated that the Commodore name is only being used as a transition from old to new and will quickly be dropped as Holden had done with the Kingswood before it.

So far post Falcon Ford hasn’t proven a thing either other than they continue to have good sales with a Ute and Holden has yet to be proven wrong.

I don’t like the car and it holds no interest for me but that doesn’t mean they can’t spin it to a new audience.

You could be right on the money and this will fail and only time will tell and even if Ford has a better product line up, since when have consumers cared about better?

You only have to look at some of the vehicles that occupy the popular sales figures to know that’s the last thing on most of their minds.

I’m still reserving my judgement to the success or demise of both brands in our local market.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 06:20 PM   #36
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have read somewhere that Holden is trying to totally change the brand perception... This new "commodore" is obviously part of that vision... It may not appeal to people on here (me included) but we aren't who they are trying to sell to anyway...

Looks like your options for Affordable V8's is down to Mustang and Chrysler 300 SRT...

I always intended on making my redline a keeper, seeing this new commodore really confirms that for me...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 07:04 PM   #37
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

What a POS...
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #38
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

This looks to be such a radical change of direction for the Commodore nameplate that you have to wonder if calling it a Commodore was the right choice.

The flagship Holden has always been -
A sedan (with variants)
Rear Wheel drive
Six cylinder
Australian made

This all changes for the new model and overnight they are going from proudly selling V8 muscle cars to "cashed up bogans" to "changing their buyer profile" by selling a front drive 4 cylinder hatches.

Ford were correct to let the Falcon pass with dignity.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2016, 07:29 PM   #39
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden are done for, asking v8 driving Aussies to swap to a hatchback is like getting beer drinkers to switch to martinis.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 26-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #40
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let me guess prices: $36k for base 2.0T, $40k for diesel, $50+ for V6. Hmmm..
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #41
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
This looks to be such a radical change of direction for the Commodore nameplate that you have to wonder if calling it a Commodore was the right choice.

The flagship Holden has always been -
A sedan (with variants)
Rear Wheel drive
Six cylinder
Australian made

This all changes for the new model and overnight they are going from proudly selling V8 muscle cars to "cashed up bogans" to "changing their buyer profile" by selling a front drive 4 cylinder hatches.

Ford were correct to let the Falcon pass with dignity.
There's probably a lot of people out there who would buy it simply because they've "always bought Commodore's"
Old 26-10-2016, 08:38 PM   #42
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Epica...........Fail
Malibu..........Fail
Insignia........How many are they selling a month again..........Fail
Is it me or do you see a trend here with large Holden 4 Cylinder cars.

The decent thing to do is to retire the Commodore name. Even if it is only temporary until a true RWD vehicle is produced that is worthy of the name.

At the end of the day I think people could get over the fact that a Commodore could be made overseas, but a FWD 4 Cylinder Hatchback is not a Commodore and never will be.

Hell, even Holden Sunbird would be a more befitting name for this vehicle
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2016, 08:43 PM   #43
Chopped
as in chopped

HSV as we know it is dead.
This thing will be competing against Camry in the fleet sales stakes.

Holden will suffer for a few years until the identity rejuvenation of the brand is complete. Even then they will be a middle brand. Buyers have embraced Toyota, Mazda and Hyundai.

Also the "new cool performance vehicle" to park in your driveaway is a crew cab Hilux or Ranger kitted up with as much aftermarket gear as they can fit.
Old 26-10-2016, 08:54 PM   #44
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Epica...........Fail
Malibu..........Fail
Insignia........How many are they selling a month again..........Fail
Is it me or do you see a trend here with large Holden 4 Cylinder cars.

The decent thing to do is to retire the Commodore name. Even if it is only temporary until a true RWD vehicle is produced that is worthy of the name.

At the end of the day I think people could get over the fact that a Commodore could be made overseas, but a FWD 4 Cylinder Hatchback is not a Commodore and never will be.

Hell, even Holden Sunbird would be a more befitting name for this vehicle
In that sense it looks like ford may have played their cards right to an extent, and Holden still have time. Ending the falcon was one thing, but the similar sized mondeo, no real sports model, is a now established car, and selling mustangs before the end of the the falcons empire, doesn't leave people waiting for a v8 rwd sports car, that doesn't cost that of a bmw or Benz. The mustang isn't exactly as family suited due to the lack of doors, and definately isn't associated with being anything australian, but atleast they left the option out there. Ute wise, the ranger is functional (I drive one, also have a bf sedan and fg sedan) but uninspiring to drive, but there is the 4wd option. Holden have the same option with the Colorado. The days of buying a ss ute which in the day was the poor man's monaro, or an XR8 hay hauler are gone, but in 18 months hold on may decide to import the camaro and give it an iconic name like the "camira"
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #45
xr8cam

[QUOTE=LoudPipes;5797533]You're not Holden's future or market target.

They don't make money out of people who buy second hand cars or only live in the past.

Love it or hate it, this car is obviously not aimed at the performance market.[/QUOTE
Everything that is older was built with pride, made out of quality parts and profit above everything was never the no1 goal. I prefer older houses,cars, guitars, drums, amplifiers, furniture & things made of timber & steel etc, they all last and have integrity.I would never waste money on new cars that last 5 mins, are full of faults and made of plastic,and way over priced. I will leave those to the younger generation that have to have it now and new. You got one thing right, I am not and never will consider a brand new car or a holden. A good cond low km car with a good history and no bugs is much more appealing, besides, most of us spend 10 grand on mods in the first 2 years we get our cars new or 2nd hand. But hey, if you want to drop 50-70k at the local showroom, good on you. I own my home, my car and am looking forward to a very cushy retirement, much more important atm.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 09:12 PM   #46
Sancho

It's cool but I think the issue with this platform car is there are so many other options around that already exist and are popular... aka Subaru Legacy.

would all depend on $$$ I reckon.

Ford should do the RHD Taurus as competition obviously ;)
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #47
lownloud
Ford Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
Also the "new cool performance vehicle" to park in your driveaway is a crew cab Hilux or Ranger kitted up with as much aftermarket gear as they can fit.

I'm almost convinced that trucks are the equivalent new muscle cars of the 70's.
ie: Noisy, uncomfortable, handle and stop like crap, are reasonably quick in a straight line and have mountains of torque....
Old 26-10-2016, 09:19 PM   #48
mick74GT

I've bought 3 VE commodores. 2 HSVs and an SSV. Have absolutely loved all of them.

This really doesn't interest me at all and I won't be buying one. It's just such a shame.
E3 Maloo Black Edition
VW Golf GTD - Wifes Weapon
mick74GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 09:20 PM   #49
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

I'm interested in the nine-speed auto.

Just because it was a joint effort between ford and GM.

Why though, do the GM products have access to the transmissions first? Did ford give them 1st pick, lead on design or give them the bill for all of the development.
The only ford products shown to be in line for these transmissions are the new F-SERIES and the new mustang.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #50
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
It's cool but I think the issue with this platform car is there are so many other options around that already exist and are popular... aka Subaru Legacy.

would all depend on $$$ I reckon.

Ford should do the RHD Taurus as competition obviously ;)
I'm going to say you mean there are already established cars in that market that have reputations and good reputations. Sounds like a hard market to crack considering it has been around for a decade, and the sterile Camry has somehow exited many buyers, and as booring as they are, and others in that sense, to those who sport mullets ( tbh I'm not too far off that style myself due to the opposite, being overworked) it's going to be a hard slog for holden to convince people to jump on the new range of cars people don't know. as opposed to move on to cars that were already out. The days of seeing some one pull a single spinner out of dad's new commodore are drying up
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 09:39 PM   #51
PaulXR50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like a Prius prototype... fuglyyyy.
PaulXR50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #52
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Commodore name has such bad connotations. It's widely considered as nothing more than a bogan chariot isn't it?. I would have thought this new car would have been an excellent opportunity for Holden to leave the name and it's baggage behind them.

So what is this new car's potential market? 40% of current Commodore buyers won't buy it cause there is no V8. Then there's the LWB and ute buyers who won't buy it cause it's hatch & wagon only. So that leaves what, less than 40% of a steadily shrinking market enjoyed by the VF, to be generous. As for everyone else, well they aren't interested in buying a bogans car now and they won't be come 2018 either.

The car itself won't be half bad. It'll have the right tech, it'll have the right numbers, it'll look alright etc etc, it just should have been re-launched with a new name, new deal, new hype.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 10:03 PM   #53
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post

The car itself won't be half bad. It'll have the right tech, it'll have the right numbers, it'll look alright etc etc, it just should have been re-launched with a new name, new deal, new hype.
I think this sums it all up.

It will be a good car, but so is everything else in the segment that it will be competing with. The Commodore has lost what made it unique in the sea of FWD fleet cars.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2016, 10:12 PM   #54
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownloud View Post
I'm almost convinced that trucks are the equivalent new muscle cars of the 70's.
ie: Noisy, uncomfortable, handle and stop like crap, are reasonably quick in a straight line and have mountains of torque....
Some of the tradies and younger drivers of these so called 'trucks' need to realise they are not driving lowered well sorted sedans with good brakes. Seriously stupid decision to punt one of these around a corner or through a round about any faster than the speed limit. They do not handle like a sedan and its bloody reckless to drive one like it. This will not stop the marketing people from doing 'sports' models not to mention the after market performance gear. Watch the toll mount.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 10:31 PM   #55
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Are they going to be classified as a large or medium car?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 10:50 PM   #56
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
I'm confused.
Should I sell chev or Opel badges on eBay?

From reports about Holden wanting to have an image make over, a lack of a performance model makes sense.

This shouldn't stop Ford bringing out a Mondeo ST given they have committed to increasing their performance range.
Sell Edsel badges to Falcon owners...
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 10:57 PM   #57
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Should be ok.
Hopefully it sells well and they bring in the OPC version.

The V6 should be the base model though
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 12:15 AM   #58
1970galaxie
Fat 460

No way. These can't be Commodores.
I don't see any Chev badges!
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 01:15 AM   #59
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I would only consider it if it came with Opel instead of Holden badges.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 01:33 AM   #60
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Well, now the 2018 Commodore specs and looks are known, its obvious there will be a huge public buy up of the last remaining V8 models as production ends in 2017 of the current models.

Coupled to the fact that with no new V8 Falcons, and Holden already taking up the Ford share demand .... I think consumer demand especially from commodore enthusiasts may even exceed supply in the latter part of 2017.

Anyone wanting a RWD large V8 sedan and not wanting the Chrysler 300C or Mustang would have to seriously look at their options next year before its too late.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post