Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What type of Engine do you prefer?
4.0L Turbo I6 461 47.67%
5.4L V8 467 48.29%
Neither, I'm a 4cyl fan 11 1.14%
Candy 28 2.90%
Voters: 967. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2005, 10:27 AM   #31
Steffo
LPG > You

What is it with this idea that you can get more power out of the Turbo 6 then the V8? When push comes to shove, the V8 will always come out on top. There has simply, in Australia, been more focus on the XR6 Turbo then anything else, because it is factory forced induction, its becoming a new cult car. If you really want to beat it with the 5.4, you can make power with that thing that will eclipse the Turbo 6's wildest dreams.

A route something like.. SHM 5.4 Race Block, 3.7" bore... SHM 4.500" stroker kit + rotating assembly (incl. rods, pistons, cams etc etc). SHM Stg3 4 valve DOHC mod motor race heads, and then a Garrett GT42 turbo or two. 387 cubes of twin turbocharged muscle.. that will.. well, devastate.. um.. lots of cars.

I can't wait until someone does it, or until CAPA runs its 1000hp Supercharged 5.4 Ute, if they ever do.

Hence why I voted V8, as this thread was specifically about engine only.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 10:32 AM   #32
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
What is it with this idea that you can get more power out of the Turbo 6 then the V8? .
I think what people are saying is you can get more power out of the 6 with much less dollars than the 8 - Check out the APS kits available - Sure you can ultimatly make the 8 go faster but at what price?
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 10:34 AM   #33
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
What is it with this idea that you can get more power out of the Turbo 6 then the V8? When push comes to shove, the V8 will always come out on top. There has simply, in Australia, been more focus on the XR6 Turbo then anything else, because it is factory forced induction, its becoming a new cult car. If you really want to beat it with the 5.4, you can make power with that thing that will eclipse the Turbo 6's wildest dreams.

A route something like.. SHM 5.4 Race Block, 3.7" bore... SHM 4.500" stroker kit + rotating assembly (incl. rods, pistons, cams etc etc). SHM Stg3 4 valve DOHC mod motor race heads, and then a Garrett GT42 turbo or two. 387 cubes of twin turbocharged muscle.. that will.. well, devastate.. um.. lots of cars.

I can't wait until someone does it, or until CAPA runs its 1000hp Supercharged 5.4 Ute, if they ever do.

Hence why I voted V8, as this thread was specifically about engine only.

But how much do you have to spend to achieve such power.

And there is stilll the front end weight factor.

Thats a lot of cash for a V8..

T offers best bang for buck...

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 10:35 AM   #34
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I can't decide. Both engines are magnificent.

Love the low down torque of a V8 & the sound it emits.
Love the power surge that a turbo produces & that turbo winding up.

I'll have to think hard about this one before I vote, oh my head :ticking:
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 10:36 AM   #35
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy_monkey
And there is stilll the front end weight factor.
Not with that block and rotating assembly there isn't.. cuts down a great deal on weight. Would probably turn out as light as, if not lighter then the turbo 6 with that setup.

:
Old 12-08-2005, 10:38 AM   #36
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
De compress the 5.4 alittle fit GT45 and you have best of both worlds!!!

A turbo V8 that would be nice..

Not exactly EPA legal though is it ;)

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 10:39 AM   #37
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not with that block and rotating assembly there isn't.. cuts down a great deal on weight. Would probably turn out as light as, if not lighter then the turbo 6 with that setup.
you forgot to mention cost :
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 10:41 AM   #38
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Biggest issue right there!

An 11 second kit from APS that is EPA legal is much more tempting than a 11 second turbo V8 monster that the EPA wont allow on the road and you have to watch for cops every 10 minutes.

Although the APS twin turbo 5.4 kit will meet emissions and is the winnah!
Old 12-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #39
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
you forgot to mention cost :
And EPA legalatities

At least with T mods, you can stil be completely EPA legal, but then is there such a thing as a Falcon or Commodore from factory that meets those laws, no...

Old 12-08-2005, 10:44 AM   #40
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
If it ever eventuates, very big $$$ for a very small market. :

At least with the LS1/2 there is the entire USA to market into...

Old 12-08-2005, 10:47 AM   #41
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
Biggest issue right there!

An 11 second kit from APS that is EPA legal is much more tempting than a 11 second turbo V8 monster that the EPA wont allow on the road and you have to watch for cops every 10 minutes.

Heh... that setup I posted would be alot faster then that.. high 8s/low 9s perhaps :hihi:

And yeah, the APS kit is cool.

Interesting thing.. CAPA's 1000hp BA XR8 Ute is street registered and legal.. and they got 14.2litre/100km out of it on a long trip. I like, I like...

:
Old 12-08-2005, 10:50 AM   #42
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If it ever eventuates, very big $$$ for a very small market. :

Last I heard it was going to be around $14K for a twin turbo kit. That is not expensive if you have ever properly converted a car to turbocharged form before. Especially for what the kit delivers.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:52 AM   #43
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
And most modded XR6t's or any motor for that matter are not either..It will pass emisions quite easy...Well easier than a supercharged motor..No point in letting that energy get wasted down exhaust pipe!!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 11:12 AM   #44
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:

*cough* F Trucks *cough* Mustangs *cough* (ok so their 5.4s and 4.6s are a tad different to our 5.4s)
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 11:15 AM   #45
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hasn't one guy on this forum run a 13.2 in his stock F6...
Yes

I don't want to get into the whole debate, but I thought I'd voice why I prefer a turbo I6. And don't get me wrong, I love a V8!

I think that a turbo I6 is a perfect medium. Anything larger than a V8 is rediculous, and I wouldn't want anything smaller than a I6. And simply, IMO putting a turbo on a V8 is a bit of overkill. I'd definately look at a Supercharged V8, that might make me struggle to pick my Turbo I6...

But a Turbo I6 offers such great torque delivery, the best bang for your buck mods, and less weight (something we all concern ourselves with now on the BA). Not to mention, that I think a lot of us younger guys (and I don't want to sterotype here) are into Turbo's a lot more than older guys who grew up with the V8's...

If you were around when the GTHO was in it's prime, and the Aussie V8 was a thing of beauty (and fuel was cheap!) then I'm sure you're answer to this question will never change! I on the other hand, mainly started to get into cars around the EL stage, where the XR8 offered s**t all over the XR6. By that, I mean the XR8 had no where near the advantage it should had in power, and loss a lot of advantage in weight - it might have been faster still (not by much), but didn't seem like the better car, because the XR6 was offering lots, and the XR8 didn't seem to meet it's potential. And really, to this day, with the early AU's, and even in the BA (with the XR6T and XR8 being so close performance wise) I have a different perspective (and I'm not saying it's the right one - just a different one).

I see the I6 as an alternative to the V8 - not something that is a cut below the V8 - esspecially because of the potential in Ford's awesome 4.0L I6. This of course- could be a different view to many V8 lovers. But in my time, I guess the aussie V8 that I've seen (since the EL) really hasn't done much to win me over. I even remember the Ralliart Magna showing up the XR8 down the quarter - that was embarassing for the V8 ing_sm Anyhow, I don't want to step on any toes - that wasn't my goal. Just wanted to give a different perspective. I guess I like the idea of hearing the turbo, feeling the boost come on, and really, i like the idea of driving a I6... Whatever gets ya going right

Anyhow, just my 2c, hope that all made sence :

Last edited by Deadman; 12-08-2005 at 11:20 AM.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 11:17 AM   #46
Steffo
LPG > You

Why is putting a turbo on a V8 'overkill' ? I don't get it. Doesn't mean its got to be a psycho killer ultra power destructo engine.

:
Old 12-08-2005, 11:24 AM   #47
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why is putting a turbo on a V8 'overkill' ? I don't get it. Doesn't mean its got to be a psycho killer ultra power destructo engine.
I just meant, it seems like something I would never do to a car that was my daily driver. I mean, I would definately look at a supercharger, but I think a Turbo would be overkill because of the overall money it would cost altering the car to handle that power etc, and the fuel bill would be astronomical. Then again, we're talking about engines so I probably shouldn't bring fuel consumption into this...

I see what you mean by saying it doesn't have to be an ultra power destructo engine, and I guess that would cut down on some of the costs - but if that's the case - why not just Turbo an I6 _2: Only kidding (don't want to get into a debate on turboing a V8 vs and I6 - cause I don't know enough to win : )

I don't want to make it seem like I'm having a go at V8's - cause I love them to. I just PERSONALLY wouldn't do it... But i am sure there are many others that would. :
Old 12-08-2005, 11:29 AM   #48
98AUXR6

Quote:
I think what people are saying is you can get more power out of the 6 with much less dollars than the 8 - Check out the APS kits available - Sure you can ultimatly make the 8 go faster but at what price?
What he said!! The turbo with better weight distribution probably comes up the better handler.
: Hang on! I voted V8 : OOPS!!

Love the GT!!!!!!! :king:
98AUXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 11:32 AM   #49
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Falcon_XR6
I just meant, it seems like something I would never do to a car that was my daily driver. I mean, I would definately look at a supercharger, but I think a Turbo would be overkill because of the overall money it would cost altering the car to handle that power etc, and the fuel bill would be astronomical. Then again, we're talking about engines so I probably shouldn't bring fuel consumption into this...
Thing is, you'd get better economy if it was turbocharged then supercharged, and its easier on the motor, especially moreso then a positive displacement supercharger, as the power delivery is more linear.

:
Old 12-08-2005, 11:34 AM   #50
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Yea but he will consider a s/c ??? I don't get the logic...
Turbo's only come in when you need them and they deffinatly don't turn your car into a evil machine..They have been on truck motors for years without issues..Trouble is you can't walk in and buy a turbo V8..Well under $80k...There's nothing like a lazzy big turbo motor...
The way I see it 1/3 energy gets burnt / heat, 1/3 energy goes into piston, the other 1/3 goes out exhaust pipe .. Why wast it??? This is one reason turbo's are very epa friendly...Naturally with good management / tune like any engine...They can run heaps high ratio and keep performance as well which means better fuel economy...The little Smart car designed by M.Bends is turbo'd for that very reason....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 11:55 AM   #51
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thing is, you'd get better economy if it was turbocharged then supercharged, and its easier on the motor, especially moreso then a positive displacement supercharger, as the power delivery is more linear.
Thanks for the info. : [edit]: and EBXR8240 to

believe it or not - i'm not trying to make an *** out of myself on here :
Old 12-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #52
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

turbo. (period)
-----------------------
megsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 12:08 PM   #53
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Cubes >>>> boost,
Cubes + Boost >>>>> you
Old 12-08-2005, 12:11 PM   #54
argonEL
Cruisin' When-ever I Can!

Wheres the NA 4.0L button... ? :P

I chose the v8 over the i6T, im more of a fan of NA engines and smooth power delivery. Not a big fan of a turbo engine.

More mods to come!

Ex 97 EL Futura, 04 XR6 and 07 XR8 Owner.
argonEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 01:56 PM   #55
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

One word:
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Love the sound of Turbo ... especially when you've pumped a bit of money into it.
You'd need to put triple the amount of money into an 8 to get the same power as the 6.

Turbo 6 is my vote.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 02:29 PM   #56
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
One word:
You'd need to put triple the amount of money into an 8 to get the same power as the 6.
: :MrT_anim:

:
Old 12-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #57
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

To quote my wife when we drove both and bought one....
"It sounds like a vacuum cleaner from inside. Besides you'd have no licence left because you'd always be revin' it to get the same rush you get from the 8. Oh and don't talk to me about fuel economy, you don't buy a performance car to pussy foot around in it!" (Yes she's a keeper, the wife that is).
Yes the T6 is arguably "meatier sounding" at idle from outside the car, but you can't compare (to my son & my ears at least) to the sound of a Boss V8 (or most other 8's) when your up it from the drivers seat.
P.S I don't mind the XR8 being quieter on light throttle as my son can sleep through it, which keeps the wife happy, and in turn, keeps me happy.

Cheers,
Brad.... :eclipsee_

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 03:37 PM   #58
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

V8 4 me please