Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default New 2005 Commodore SV8

Read here:

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_103645/newsarticle.html

Not bad for $44,000!

Too bad Ford didnt bring out a cheaper version of the XR8 with the 260 motor!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 01:06 PM   #2
my gt
Extreme Machine

its holden craaaaaaaap
my gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 01:06 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Oh and to support this change and keep SS buyers the SS now comes with Climate Control Standard....
Old 04-01-2005, 01:35 PM   #4
EFFalcon
Last warning

don't see many old SV8's around... dont see this one doing much better :o
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 01:57 PM   #5
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Seems to look much closer to the SS now. I think styling was the main reason most people were happy to spend the extra for an SS over an SV8. This should be interesting.

I suspect the XR6T is the only reason Ford is afraid to make an affordable high performance V8 model.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
paul7v7
bring it on

goodluck to them. as EFFalcon has said I don't see this one being much of a success either.
paul7v7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering SV6 sales were 95% better in Nov then that of the S pac in Nov 2003 I would say the SV8 will also be very popular!
Old 04-01-2005, 02:12 PM   #8
Danny
GT4.

How many new models do holden want to bring out just so they can keep up with ford. It seems each consecutive falcon success spawns more and more holden models. Their philosiphy is a very childish "Anything you do I can do better"

-Dan
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 02:15 PM   #9
MaD_KiWi
Happy as Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Child
How many new models do holden want to bring out just so they can keep up with ford. It seems each consecutive falcon success spawns more and more holden models. Their philosiphy is a very childish "Anything you do I can do better"

-Dan
Check your sales figures before making a comment like that. how are Holden keeping up with Ford??

Simon
MaD_KiWi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 02:15 PM   #10
EFFalcon
Last warning

But the SV8 isnt a new model.
the SV6 had clear advantages over the Commo S but the SV8 was out last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOCKWAVEXR6NA
Considering SV6 sales were 95% better in Nov then that of the S pac in Nov 2003 I would say the SV8 will also be very popular!
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 02:23 PM   #11
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Child

-Dan

I reckon that's a TOP philosophy to have and to action.
It has served HOLDEN and HSV well for the past 20 years.

FORD are of the opinion that whatever they dish up is good enough despite the competition. Although true in some cases, it has left the company way behind GM and TOYOTA despite good sales of the BA models and TERRITORY.

The SV8 is a niche market model that appeals to the enthusiast that doesn't want to spend the extra cash on "PLASTIC"

If FORD released an SR model with the 260 motor, I'm sure that'd sell like HOT CAKES........especially if it was @10K cheaper !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bugger the STEREO, leather, Body Kit and oversized wheels ( read cosmetic gizmos ) and give me the grunt and suspension to handle it..................I'm happy.

The SV8 always rates higher than the SS for Bang for your BUCK and it's also quicker down the quarter to boot.............as I'm sure a Falcon SR 260 would be over the current series II porky XR8.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 03:10 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finally someone who can see what im talking about!!

By the way The Child how come Holden are selling 2000 + more Commodores a month??

All Ford need to do is make an XSV8 Sedan with the SR body kit + body coloured side moulds, colour coded mirrors, 17 inch rims (Same as standard XR ones), foglights, an upgraded interior with maybe a Red Instrument Cluster and ofcourse the 260 motor and bulge! How many XT V8s do you think Ford have sold, id say you could fit them in your local shopping centre carpark!

Development costs would be 3 parts of nothing as all you need to do is get an XT Shell, Chuck the SR kit on it, Set of Alloys, upgrade the interior trim (use XLS ute type or even SR type), grab the 260, paint the black bits the same colour as the body, put the sports IRS under it, chuck on a bulge and you would be done. The only development cost would be a set of foglights to fit the standard front bar instead of the cornering lights!

Bring on the XSV8 I say! Even if its the Boss 260 Detuned to 250, it would still hammer and serve a purpose in the market consdering hardly anyone buys the 220 V8 even in the Fairmonts Etc.

I certainly know id be buying one if they were around the $43,000 mark, so would my dad.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 04-01-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:14 PM   #13
Danny
GT4.

I didnt mean it in the way of sales figures. so forget i saidd anything.

Holden just seem to go nuts upgrading this and that and this and that. When the falcon was shit, they didnt do it, now the BA is giving it cometition, theyre going nuts with new models and power/equipment upgrades and i dont know how anyone could keep up with it...

I meant more in that sort of light..... It doesnt mean i'm happy with ford's "uhh what we have is good enough" philosiphy.....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 03:20 PM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
But the SV8 isnt a new model.
the SV6 had clear advantages over the Commo S but the SV8 was out last year.
Its the same idea, the VY S pac went from a basic package to something thats a little more special in that of the SV6. Now the SV8 has gone from an Executive with a V8 and wheels to more of a sports car with the kit / sports instruments amoung other things. I can see it being very successful both in the private sector along with the Government and police!
Old 04-01-2005, 03:33 PM   #15
240 T

I think that this brings the SV8 way to close to what the SS is, barely any differnce on the outside!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 06:49 PM   #16
Aussie Pete

Mmmmmmm....

Now let's see. SV8 $44k. Add PWR FACTORY approved HBD supercharger kit for over 300kW, roughly $8k. Maybe add the HBD brake upgrade but not necessary. Deal a bit with the 'head puncher' (salesman) and get a drive away ball tearer for $50k. Now that's cheap performance and it has FULL FACTORY warranty.

Don't rubbish it. Just face the facts that it's another chip in the competition millstone.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:54 PM   #17
RATT

It will hurt SS sales as some will simply not want to pay around $50k for an SS (with climate control) when the simple A/C button will do.

XR8 will also be hurt in this as XT V8 isn't really capable of taking it up to the SV8 $ for $.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:11 PM   #18
WASP
Whipple Induced

Looks like a great buy if you can live with an SV8. I would rather go a nice XR6T for similar money. It' just as quick, better looking, better equipped (6 stacker, sports dash etc), better suspension and..well it's a FORD.

Ford have no real comparable answer with a V8 which is a little dissapointing unless you include those heavy discounted XR8's you can get for $44k.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:13 PM   #19
RATT

Colville you're here!

Good to see you mate.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:21 PM   #20
WASP
Whipple Induced

Hi Dean, thanks for the welcome my friend.
Yes I finally made a post..lol.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:29 PM   #21
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Ford will probably suffer sales cannibalism more than actually taking sales away from Holden if they launch an XR8 Junior (although I'd love to see an SV8 equivalent on the market!)

If I was the guy designing the SV8 equivalent, I'd warm over the 220 model rather than detune the Boss, so that it is further differentiated from the XR8 (240kw?)

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 07:34 PM   #22
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford need to bring back the 'GS' name to combat the SV8.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 07:47 PM   #23
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Why is it that everyone think's Ford need to do what Holden do, Holden have a SV8, The only competitor Ford would and should have for this model would be the XR6T, if they had another vehicle for that price range it would allmost certaintally kill off the T, Holden need to be and have been carefull in their approch to this market with the SV8, those that can not afford the SS will by this model and those that can afford the SV8 but also can afford the SS will think about the extra's in the SS and probably up their anty, it's a win win situation for the Genral, or think of it as clever marketing.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 08:00 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not really Galaxy.

You have blokes out there that just want a V8 for the engine note and the occasionally drag, the XT V8 really doesnt do it for most. As for the XR6 Turbo I couldnt see an extra V8 model hurting sales too much as you still have to wait a couple of months to get one, I think it would all even out in the long run, but the point is the costs involved in producing an extra V8 model are minimal, its cost holden nothing to do it, all they did was took the new SV6 shape and dropped the Gen III in it, not all that hard!

Also a V8 would be cheaper to insure for some people to compared to the XR6 Turbo (the main reason why I couldnt get one). Still regardless of what we think i cant see Ford doing anything in the short term future

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 04-01-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:10 PM   #25
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Ford need to bring back the 'GS' name to combat the SV8.
YES!!! Bring back the GS name!!

As others have said, a V8 SR, 17" wheels, XR suspension and bodykit. Something more subtle than the XR8 and the bulge?? Dunno about that. You don't want to make it too close to the XR8.

Maybe tweak the 3 valve 5.4L to deliver 245 or 250kw? Up the XR8 to 270kw in response?
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #26
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh thats what i was thinking bearman, u dont really want the buldge as it would ruin the XR8!
Old 04-01-2005, 08:53 PM   #27
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOCKWAVEXR6NA
Yeh thats what i was thinking bearman, u dont really want the buldge as it would ruin the XR8!
you'll probably end up needing it ;)
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 08:56 PM   #28
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Yup

But FORD would have to be real careful of the pricing !!!!
It would need to be @ 40 K mark if anyone would even consider it.

Now just imagine a stripped down Falc with a 250 Kw V8 motor that pulls low 14's from the factory. For that price, you could even afford to customise it after 12 months with a decent set of wheels and have a real street sleeper.

Perhaps an EXEDE chip and a bit of exhaust work.................High 13 sec passes would be possible.........and all in a car that would look different to all of the XR's that are spreading like a plague.

And then just think of the second hand market potential for FORD and the FORD aftermarket tuners..........You'd get more pimply faced adolescents into the Falc fold which would spawn a new generation of new FORD buyers when they're older.

Think of it as the "training wheel" philosophy. It's not always about how many cars you sell first off, it's also about culturing a passionate following in the second hand car market which can and does lead to future sales. Remember that these new and second hand SR V8's would be HEAPS less than an XR6T or an XR8 and would therefore be more available to the less afluent and more impressionable younger buyer group.

Just think of how many P plated VL , VN, VT V8 and Turbo commodore wannabe HSV owners there are out there on the road as compared to the number of modified and cared for EA , EB etc Falcs................

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 10:50 PM   #29
RATT

Seems that Holden may be seeking to move the SS to a higher level, close to what the old HSV Manta used to be (remember them?), and in the place where SS used to sit will be the SV8.

I also agree with SHOCKWAVEXR6NA in that some buyers will simply not buy an XR6 Turbo and would prefer a V8. So as an answer there needs to be a detuned BOSS or enhanced BARRA V8 to counter this move. Ford really need to stop holding back and do something alittle more as there would be plenty of potential buyers who wince at the prospect of spending upwards of $50000 just to get into a decent performance V8.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:39 AM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even looking at the days of the ED XR8 and the ED XR8 Sprint. The standard ED XR8 was about $35,000 while the Sprints were about $44,000. The current XR8 is basically $12,000 more then a standard XR6 just for the donk. Is there really that much more money involved? I think Holden and Ford have just got greedy with the Performance cars and therefore are making good money out of them. Same goes for the GT and GTP.