Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
rosebush

Default A Dangerous snapping sound coming from my right front wheel

I have had this problem for about 12 mths that is pregressivly got worse. It is so bad now that Im to scared to drive it. 3 different machaincs dont know what it is and all 3 say to fix 3 different things costing over $400.
So im after your opinion here.
The noise is a LOUD SNAPPING clicking sound (Like metal on metal without any Lube kinda sound) It happens when I slow down with the brakes, have pressure on front (Like going down a hill slowly) and especially when turning a corner like a roundabout or turning. I dont hear it on the straight or at high speed unless I turn the wheel. Comes from front wheel.
The strange thing is we greesed up the sway bar and a couple of rubber things and the noise got about 95% better but only lasted for about 3 days of driving. Went for a drive on dirt road and today the noise is very bad again.
It kind of feels like its coming from just above the outer tyre rod end but 2 machanics think they are fine.
There is a very small amount of play in the wheel when doing the ball joint test but not seriously. The sound can not be made when jacked up but when lowered back to the ground and turn the steering wheel the sound is back again. Any feedback would be great please.

rosebush is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spring 'binding' on mounts ??
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
sly
Sly like a G6

I had a seized ball joint that gave similar symptoms - noisy when braking & turning. I only found it when I did the BA brake upgrade & decided to change all the bushes, ball joints & tie-rod ends while I had the suspension pulled down. It wasn't loose so wasn't picked up as wheel wobble. More like all the lube dried out & it seized, so it ground metal on metal when it moved under the force of suspension movement. It was too tight to move by hand after removal.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
rosebush

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
I had a seized ball joint that gave similar symptoms - noisy when braking & turning. I only found it when I did the BA brake upgrade & decided to change all the bushes, ball joints & tie-rod ends while I had the suspension pulled down. It wasn't loose so wasn't picked up as wheel wobble. More like all the lube dried out & it seized, so it ground metal on metal when it moved under the force of suspension movement. It was too tight to move by hand after removal.
wAS IT YOUR UPPER OR LOWER BALL JOINT? YES MINE IS NOISY DURING TURNING AND BRAKING TOO, IT ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE THE SOUND YOU HEAR WHEN YOU SLOWLY LET OFF YOUR BRAKES WHEN THEY ARE WET AND GET THAT KIND OF DRY SCRAPING SOUND...IT IS SO HARD TO EXPLAIN THE NOISE
rosebush is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
sly
Sly like a G6

"Graunch" would be the kind of noise I'm thinking of.

Long time ago now, IIRC it was upper, but I could be mistaken.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steering rack mount nuts? Make sure these are super tight.

Had a similar sound a while back and this is what it was. Apparently pretty common for them to work loose.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
sly
Sly like a G6

That's a point. My car had a recall for something to do with the steering rack. You could do worse than ask your nearest Ford dealer to look up your VIN and see if it has any outstanding recalls. That at least should cost you nothing, and you should do the cheapest things first.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 05-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
hendoau99
app diesel mechanic

look on the inside of your door above your tyre placard. it'll be a sticker with a serial number and dates on it. mine was recalled for steering rack mount bolts and the sticker confirms it. most s1 and some s2 were recalled i think.
hendoau99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post