Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 23-12-2019, 08:31 PM   #1
feeling7
Starter Motor

Default FOCUS CL LV 2009 gearbox oil refilling point

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know where gearbox oil refilling (top up) point is located?

FORD FOCUS CL LV 2009 (engine 2.0)
GEARBOX CODE: 8M5R-7F096 - that's what I found, 5-speed gearbox (on other forum guys suggested its a IB5 gearbox)
VIN: AFAUXXMJDU9B00138
Oil should be Ford 75W90.

I found few similar topics from European forums, my gearbox looks identical like their one, have a look below
https://i.imgur.com/KtEwFbl.png
https://i.imgur.com/XvNVkMO.png

so this is where transmission oil refilling point should be but there is none, this is my photo
https://i.imgur.com/MgUaglx.png

I really would appreciate any advice, I already bought 75W90 oil and spent hours to find top up point, without success,

Thanks
feeling7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #2
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: FOCUS CL LV 2009 gearbox oil refilling point

Based on the VIN supplied, the transmission in that vehicle is a 5 Speed Manual Trans Getrag - B5A.

The oil needs to meet spec WSD-M2C200-C

Filling is via the reverse switch.

LV Focus 5 Speed Manual Filling.JPG
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-12-2019, 11:04 PM   #3
feeling7
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Based on the VIN supplied, the transmission in that vehicle is a 5 Speed Manual Trans Getrag - B5A.

The oil needs to meet spec WSD-M2C200-C

Filling is via the reverse switch.

Attachment 102320
Thank You very much for your message GTLEGEND, your post saved me a lot of time!

Just one more thing, this sentence from your instruction

"Fill up with manual transmission fluid to underneath the lower edge of the filler hole."

simply means that I should fill it up until the oil will start leaking back from that point? (My English is not perfect and under this circumstances I don't want to put too much oil and damage my gearbox, that's why I am asking).

thanks once more
Old 23-12-2019, 11:14 PM   #4
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Yes correct fill until oil starts coming out, let it drain till it is only a small dribble of oil and you will be right.
Old 23-12-2019, 11:25 PM   #5
feeling7
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Yes correct fill until oil starts coming out, let it drain till it is only a small dribble of oil and you will be right.
thank you! I owe you minimum a six pack!

https://i.imgur.com/W1XKQKJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/nE6oedO.jpg

I am just curious if that small screw below reverse switch mounting hole (which I marked on red on my photo) has any specific function?

Have a Merry Christmas!
Old 23-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #6
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No problem, that's not a screw but a plug of some sort. Usually holds something on the other side.
Old 24-12-2019, 12:42 AM   #7
feeling7
Starter Motor

Just last final question,

is this transmission oil okay for my gearbox?

https://www.autobarn.com.au/ezy-sque...e-smooth-shift

its 75W-90 full synthetic but I can not find any info if it meet spec WSD-M2C200-C.

Also which shop would you recommend to buy stuff for cars in WA? I know Repco + Supercheap Auto + Auto One + Autobarn on my list but actually only visited one from them all.

thanks
Old 24-12-2019, 07:56 AM   #8
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The spec cross references to Genuine Ford oil 97SX M2C200 AB which you can buy from Ford dealer like Lynford Motors in Welshpool.

Otherwise I always recommend Castrol Oil, in this case it is a 75W85 Oil like below. You can use their product guide to find all the oils for your car. It is also in the link below.

https://www.castrol.com/en_au/austra...on-fluids.html

As for parts I always try to use genuine Ford where possible, you just know it will fit right to your car, Supercheap is good for oils (usually the cheapest) and nick nacks, but then I use Repco for stuff I cant buy genuine anymore.
Old 24-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #9
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Penrite have some oils as well.

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/product-selector?spec=277

75W85, 75W90
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2019, 02:18 PM   #10
feeling7
Starter Motor

GTLEGEND could you help me one more time please?
Today I tried to top up transmission oil level, exactly the way as we discussed.

I took off this sensor and removed the screw the one like on the photo below

When I took off the screw, transmission oil started coming out!
I have noticed a small leak from my gearbox few weeks ago and I think switching gear 1+2 was not as smooth as it used to be, for that reason I decided to top up transmission oil first.

But now it looks like I have too much oil or maybe I removed wrong screw?

Have a look how much oil came out and it's still not all, I decided to stop this procedure because I was not sure if am doing okay.

What do you think? Its simply too much oil in my gearbox?
In addition I need to say that car has been left on flat ground

Thanks

Old 27-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #11
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Transmission holds 1.85L in total, although when you drain .25L stays in transmission, so really the refill is 1.6L.

It is possible that the transmission has too much fluid in it to start with from I gather a previous change. Also if you do it when the trans is hot more fluid will come out due to heat expansion of the oil. Best to do it when cold.
Old 27-12-2019, 04:43 PM   #12
zabatron

The gearbox you have is the Getrag B5A.This gearbox is made in Ganzhou,China(under licence from Getrag/Ford) by Chinese company Jianxim.This is basically a Chinese made IB5 gearbox with some minor differences,and they have cut costs by deleting the fill plug.As stated above,you use the reverse switch hole to fill the gearbox with fluid
.To drain the fluid easily,place gear lever in neutral position,and unscrew and remove the selector interlock,(this is the silver/chrome hex bolt with a raised round bit on top, located directly below where the fill plug would normally be on an IB5 gearbox.Once the fluid has drained out,apply sealer to thread of selector interlock and screw it back in(tightening torque is 25nm).Note:only remove and insert selector interlock with gear lever in NEUTRAL position.
Use reverse switch hole to refill fluid.
As for gearbox fluid,I once owned a Fiesta Xr4 with an IB5 gearbox,and I found Castrol Syntrans 75/85 to be the best gearbox fluid for these gearboxes(much better than Nulon,Penrite and the genuine Ford oil).
zabatron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #13
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

According to the workshop manual, the drain plug is as pictured below. No mention of having to put into neutral.

LV Focus 5 Speed Manual Drain Plug.JPG
Old 27-12-2019, 05:45 PM   #14
zabatron

Where I worked we used the selector interlock bolt to drain out fluid from IB5/IB5+ gearboxes as they have no drain plug, and it was easy to get to without having to lift car on ramps or hoist,or remove a drive shaft as workshop manual stated.But always use the drain plug if there is one fitted.
Putting gear lever in neutral only applies if removing/inserting the selector interlock bolt as it has a detent ball and spring fitted on inside of the bolt,and you dont want to unscrew it while the detent ball is engaged in any of the gear positions as you risk the detent ball coming loose from spring and falling into gearbox.
zabatron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2019, 08:44 PM   #15
feeling7
Starter Motor

thanks for your answers guys,

I let my car cool a little bit after long drive, 2 hours should be fine I hope, after that my plan is to take reverse switch off and use that hole to top up fluid again.

I don't think it will not be coming out now (oil), even when is not hot, in the morning I have drained about 0.2L of oil from top up hole I think.

I don't want to drain my oil, just want to top it up because I noticed a small lake from my gearbox.

Could you ensure me with that, when car wont be hot, I only just need to take off reverse switch off and let al of the oil drain from that point and oil lever will be as it should be ?

Thanks
Old 27-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #16
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You will need more than 2 hours after a long drive for the trans to cool down back to ambient temperature, it usually takes overnight to cool right down. This is the most accurate way to check.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #17
Focus3
Starter Motor

Hey guys!

I've noticed that some of the links sadly aren;t working anymore for the B5A gearbox listed here. I have a 2014 Ford Focus LW Mk2 1.6 Ti-VCT with the 5 speed box which appears to be the B5A, made in China without the fill plug. Would someone be able to fix the link? many thanks as I would like to do a transmission fluid change. Many thanks
Focus3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2021, 04:36 PM   #18
feeling7
Starter Motor

I can't remember where the drain plug is but about the refilling point, it is here,
https://i.imgur.com/OGecJ78.png
https://i.imgur.com/LyMY9wZ.jpg
just unplug this sensor, remove the screw - this is refilling point