Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-06-2022, 11:28 PM   #1
XFISH98

Default AIR HORN will not work...........in my letterbox

Dear brains trust............I have a car air horn, that is not being used it's its conventional way of being in a car, but in my letter box. It is solely to be used to blow, when anybody but the postman goes near my letterbox. I have run the wires from my lounge room , through the front wall, under my pea gravel front yard and up into my letterbox. Now, When I hook it up directly to my spare battery, it will work as it should. But I have gone through JAYCAR and they suggested a simple transformer ( 240V / 12 v ), that i could attach to my wires, and nothing happened. I returned to the shop, then they suggested this.........12VDC 12.5 Switchmode Power Supply - Mains to Cigarette Lighter Socket https://www.jaycar.com.au/12vdc-12-5...ocket/p/MP3573

After wiring it in, I get a small /short 'toot' noise, the machine turns off...turns itself back on, gives another small 'toot' and turns off ( and repeat ). The wire I have run is 10 meters in length and in a 3amp gauge. Thinking, my horn was buggered again........i attached the spare car battery again..........and the horn works properly. What am I missing to make my horn blow. ? Agreeably, this is a very unconventional way to wire up a air horn.......but I get sick and tired of junk mail, and all the other **** that gets fed to my letterbox. I have a 'no junk mail' sign on my letterbox, and has been there for years..........any idea's? I have a security camera over my front yard, that show's my letterbox on my screens, hence when I know when someone in near my letterbox. I have a wi-fi power plug, that I can turn the power off/on via an app from my phone.
XFISH98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post