Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 11:10 PM   #8971
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

There’s a slight theatrical element; a cousin of security theatre, seeming to creep in at a lot of venues per my observation. By this, I mean the displayed behaviour is considered more important than its relative efficacy.

Also interesting to note in a modest size public hospital I’m at for several hours most days, the wide range of staff behaviours in relation to hygiene. Some wash/sanitise their hands almost by the book, others don’t seem that bothered, there’s inconsistent and infrequent cleaning of heavily touched surfaces, and patients aren’t having the mask regs enforced.

I’m going “by the book” with masks, check-ins and sanitising most places because I’m expecting the government will monetise non-compliance quite a bit further forever, and I’m trying to train myself in advance.

Side note: The other day I mentioned my lower end of the scale body temperature. Cold day, I clocked 36.2°, warmer day 36.3°. Staff seem surprised, sometimes almost offended if you ask the reading.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:35 AM   #8972
mostly_broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Negative test won't work because you can still test positive weeks after being infected due to the antibodies being present.
negative tests are pointless and so are positives basically , unless you are actually sick

nothing to see here folks , lets move along
This user likes this post:
Old 11-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #8973
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So ..
If CoronaVirus is about the same size as the flu virus it is 80-120 nm
It may be smaller, say 50-120 nm
Smoke particles are consider dangerous if they are under 2.25 µm, ie 2250nm

So, arguably we can conclude that if you can smell smoke through your mask it will not help with coronavirus.

UNLESS the coronavirus is carried on water droplets, then a mask that allows 2250nm smoke in may not allow coronavirus on water droplets in. If this is the case though then the droplets cannot stay airborne.
This is why we can say a mask is only needed if you are closer than 1.5metres to people who are infected and are sneezing or coughing.

But lets think about that mask, that is collecting water droplets laden with coronavirus. if you touch it in the process of removing it then now your fingers are carrying the virus, should you fold it and put in in your pocket ? should you put it in the centre console ?

I personally believe what was first stated - Masks protect others from you.
The best defense against CoronaVirus, is washing your hands and not touching your face (nose, eyes, mouth).

I would like to see a study that demonstrates the effectiveness of masks as a defense against coronavirus, and includes wearer habits (Disposal, adjustment, storage, face touching).
Until such time I will consider mask wearing a social ceremony required only to avoid being an outcast.
I do not want to be an outcast.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:56 AM   #8974
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Its a good thing putting a mask on isnt akin to giving blood.

Regardless of our personal beliefs if the "law" is to wear a mask then there is little choice. No liberties or freedoms taken, you just get to smell your own breath for a bit.

No one seems to mention the environmental impact of masks, can you imagine the increase in this waste currently?!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #8975
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post

I personally believe what was first stated - Masks protect others from you.
The best defense against CoronaVirus, is washing your hands and not touching your face (nose, eyes, mouth).
That is what was said from the outset. But when the freedom fighters caught on to the fact that it wasn't going to protect them 100% and refused to wear one, I noticed the message was changed subtly. They started saying that wearing a mask will reduce your initial viral load, which determines how sick you get.

I have no doubt masks works. I only need to look at the societies that wore one from the outset.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #8976
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have no doubt masks works. I only need to look at the societies that wore one from the outset.[/QUOTE]

You mean like Japan.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:48 AM   #8977
PhilT2

New rules for Qld. Lockdown ends at 6 tonight but masks will be required in some circumstances until Jan 22nd. Those going to the cricket will need to wear their mask while moving around but not while seated in the stands. Masks will be required for shopping, using public transport, taxis etc but not while exercising, walking.
In her statement this morning the premier noted that the global situation is deteriorating but didn't give any details.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:53 AM   #8978
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Much as I think he’s something of a putz, WA Premier McGowan has inferentially defined his preferred terms for unrestricted reengagement with other states - 28 days in a row of zero community transmission. I am pleased by his clarity of intent as stated.

It’s touched upon in this article: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...in-wa/13045994

I don’t think any other state or Territory leader has been so explicit in this manner.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:56 AM   #8979
tweeked
N/A all the way

[QUOTE

You mean like Japan.[/QUOTE]

Japan is a success.

Compared to the UK - Japan has twice the population. Higher population density.

Japan 2200 cases per million population, 32 deaths per million
UK 45000 cases per million (20x more), 1196 deaths per million (37x more)

3 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2021, 12:16 PM   #8980
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Much as I think he’s something of a putz, WA Premier McGowan has inferentially defined his preferred terms for unrestricted reengagement with other states - 28 days in a row of zero community transmission. I am pleased by his clarity of intent as stated.

It’s touched upon in this article: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...in-wa/13045994

I don’t think any other state or Territory leader has been so explicit in this manner.
QLD originally had something firm as you stated but was shouted down and copped a lot of pressure from her pal down south and also from the Feds. WA does have a slight advantage in not sharing a border, but having clear goals and targets is always good. This allows each state to set their own containment strategy, but they must achieve a certain target.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:17 PM   #8981
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

And just to lighten things up a bit......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 11-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #8982
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 10th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

12 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.179%. NSW & Victoria recorded 6 cases each.

31 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.127% and active cases 75.

The UK had 54,933 cases yesterday and 563 deaths.

Just under 253.5k new cases in the USA yesterday and 3,238 deaths sees CMR fall to 1.680% and active cases at 39.3% with the raw numbers rising and now over 8.9M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
North America passes 26M cases.

Only -
Uruguay (1,212) - 28% above the previous high;
Zambia (1,241); and
Mexico (16,105)

recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 11-01-2021 at 02:18 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #8983
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make lamb, not walls!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCIM...ature=youtu.be
3 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2021, 03:40 PM   #8984
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
I have no doubt masks works.
Need to inform a certain someone who's in a position of leadership.

Let's play spot the difference again.

Do as I say, not as I do.

Must be an anti-masker for sure.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:47 PM   #8985
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Dan Andrews, please keep the hard border to NSW in place, until they have 28 days of no community transmission. The NSW government cannot be trusted.

Your 'traffic light system' border exemptions will not work. There's going to be more cases of the NSW virus entering VIC if you go ahead with your proposal.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:58 PM   #8986
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Dan Andrews, please keep the hard border to NSW in place, until they have 28 days of no community transmission. The NSW government cannot be trusted.

Your 'traffic light system' border exemptions will not work. There's going to be more cases of the NSW virus entering VIC if you go ahead with your proposal.
Aunty Gladys should do the same perhaps? after all I believe it was someone from the Smile Buffalo Thai restaurant cluster that took it to the Sapphire coast
Old 11-01-2021, 04:12 PM   #8987
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Aunty Gladys should do the same perhaps? after all I believe it was someone from the Smile Buffalo Thai restaurant cluster that took it to the Sapphire coast
You must be a fan of the Murdoch Systematic Media.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:18 PM   #8988
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

WA Premier Mark McGowan, in his press conference this morning, came out swinging in retaliation to Gladys’s side swipes against other Premier’s.

Unbelievable!

The resilience and the backbone of this bloke!

Got to give him dues, he calls a spade a spade. Or in this case, a Covidiot a Covidiot.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2021, 04:20 PM   #8989
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

I see North Korea is back
Old 11-01-2021, 04:22 PM   #8990
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Traffic system is fine...just keep the danger zones red, even if it means the whole of that state

Tensions over border closures rise as Victoria insists it warned NSW
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/...10-p56t19.html

"Victoria disputed Ms Berejiklian's suggestions that it did not inform NSW before the decision was made, and said NSW health authorities and ministers had been kept up to date.

Victorian health officials told an Australian Health Protection Principal Committee at noon on December 31, attended by NSW chief health officer Kerry Chant, that the state was "strongly considering" a border closure, according to the meeting's minutes. At 3.30pm that day, Acting Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan announced the closure."

All I can say is, please keep those meeting minutes away from the shredders.

And on ABC this morning, coming out WA....
"There are five states and two territories doing one thing and one state doing something else".
"The whole country is not New South Wales, other states need to protect ourselves from the spread in New South Wales and other states that are infected"
2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2021, 04:28 PM   #8991
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
"Victoria disputed Ms Berejiklian's suggestions that it did not inform NSW before the decision was made, and said NSW health authorities and ministers had been kept up to date.

Victorian health officials told an Australian Health Protection Principal Committee at noon on December 31, attended by NSW chief health officer Kerry Chant, that the state was "strongly considering" a border closure, according to the meeting's minutes. At 3.30pm that day, Acting Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan announced the closure."
As I said...
Quote:
The NSW government cannot be trusted.
They are full of.... umm.. *lies.

*Keeping it PG
Old 11-01-2021, 05:02 PM   #8992
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
You must be a fan of the Murdoch Systematic Media.
Why?.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:15 PM   #8993
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
As I said...

They are full of.... umm.. *lies.

*Keeping it PG
Strongly considering is not a decision.

You can't see it due to Liberal Leader Syndrome

Old 11-01-2021, 06:25 PM   #8994
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metdevil View Post
Personally, I don't think masks work. Well, masks do work, but the average person doesn't know how to use them. They don't work when you touch them every two minutes, or when you take it off and put it in your pocket to use again later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_G6ET
I bought the fabric N95 carbon filtered type and it's a tight but comfortable fit. Good msg about improper use, yes its the seal etc.
Talking about mask wearing, all the disposable ones are a 'P1', a quality mask is paramount.
Here:
The N95 mask has a Particle Filtration Efficiency (PFE) of >95% @ 0.3 micron. ... The P1 disposable dust respirators are suitable for protection against mechanically generated particles to 1 micron, such as dust and mist. Uses include: sawing, drilling, woodworking, sanding grinding and gardening'

And about improper wearing (namely fitting a mask, note this one below isn't pinched tight across the nose

https://www.prosafetytraining.com.au...r-coronavirus/

Last edited by Mr_G6ET; 11-01-2021 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:30 PM   #8995
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

The masks are starting to become pain with the Jan-Feb humidity and heat in Sydney. Just a 10 minute trip to the supermarket renders them a soggy unhygienic mess fit only for the bin. Going to get through a lot more now.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:20 PM   #8996
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
The masks are starting to become pain with the Jan-Feb humidity and heat in Sydney. Just a 10 minute trip to the supermarket renders them a soggy unhygienic mess fit only for the bin. Going to get through a lot more now.
I put mine on the dash of the car when I get back in and it's sterilized in minutes.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 11-01-2021, 07:21 PM   #8997
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
And just to lighten things up a bit......

Bloody gold...

Love the dig at the NBN haaa.

Is the security guy the one who also does the undies adds?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 11-01-2021, 07:42 PM   #8998
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can argue the toss all you like about what everyone else is doing but NSW are consistent with the suppression strategy that was agreed to by all of them at national cabinet
Old 11-01-2021, 08:06 PM   #8999
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I am almost beside myself at the creation of these ongoing “hard borders” and permit requirements. They’re promoted enthusiastically, ahead of any interest in a unified push to agree on strategies that benefit everyone - pitting Australians against each other.

We have devolved, into disruptive and combative internal conduct learned from a noteworthy ally. That’s a tragedy.
4 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2021, 08:58 PM   #9000
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:

You couldn't make this stuff up

Victoria unveils ‘traffic light’ border system - The Victorian government’s new “traffic light” permit system is not yet online, despite border changes coming into effect at 6pm.

The website for Victoria’s new travel permits has failed to launch.

The Service Victoria portal at www.service.vic.gov.au was due to go live at 5.59pm on Monday but people logging on after 6pm were unable to access it.

A message displayed on the site on Monday night said: “The new permit system will be available shortly. Please check back here later today”.

Opposition Leader Michael O’Brien criticised the website issues, writing on Twitter: “This afternoon Labor announced a 6pm deadline for permits to enter Victoria, backed by a $5000 fine. But no direction is signed; no permit is available. Maybe if Labor Ministers were fined $5000 for incompetence, they’d lift their game?”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/coronav...3ff20c0588d30b

3 users like this post:
Closed Thread