Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 11:50 PM   #9301
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
They're doing it for the exposure ... oh the irony.
Who is "they"?

Newsflash....it is called the Australian Open, run by Tennis Australia. The tournament has support nationally, Federal Government grants the visas. There is a warm up tournament being played in SA which has received excellent exposure internationally.

So far, all controls that were specifically put in place are working as intended....so far.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-02-2021, 11:55 PM   #9302
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Lost for words.
Victorian government screws up once again.
Of all the things that got cancelled last year they let in a swarm of idiots from hot zones all over the world to play a stupid game noone cares about.
What is the point of quarantine if the people supposed to be isolated are still having contact with others?
Any normal person with half a brain could seemingly do a better job of running the state than 10,000 government employees can. Jesus christ...

Hope they make them wear masks while hitting the stupid ball back and forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
They're doing it for the exposure ... oh the irony.

Everyone should just like cars, right?
Old 05-02-2021, 01:19 AM   #9303
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Curious to know how many other countries are preventing their citizens and residents from leaving the country.
Actually, from what I heard on the radio last week only 3.

India, NZ and us.

If that is true then no wonder certain countries have such a dire situation.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
2 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2021, 02:03 AM   #9304
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

India, NZ and us.

LOL don't forget Nth Korea too!

My brother was in UK and the opinion of the press over there (and his too), was that we were not better off than N. Korea because restrictions on leaving the state/country.
Pack of aholes over there; good luck britain.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2021, 08:57 AM   #9305
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

India, NZ and us.

Not sure the two you listed are right. NZ is not banned, but is strongly discouraged. India has relaxed its rules, actually I think they have travel bubbles with quite a large number of countries.

So that leaves us with Australia and NK

Yes the brits think we are nuts, which I am reminded of weekly (work calls). But we are a live and healthy nutters.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #9306
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Try leaving Russia.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:35 AM   #9307
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Try leaving Russia.
or even repatriating/returning

may end up in qarinteen for 3 years
state suppied

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 05-02-2021, 01:19 PM   #9308
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT February 4th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

9 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.152%.

7 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.080% and active cases 60.

The UK had 20,634 cases yesterday and 915 deaths.

Just under 115k new cases in the USA yesterday and a new record 5,534 deaths sees CMR up to 1.707%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 105M, the last 1M in 2days;

Only:

Albania (1,052)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #9309
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Hotel quarantine organizers held a party to toast their success in isolating tennis stars, just days before it emerged the virus had escaped via a hotel quarantine worker.

Have these incompetent idiots learnt nothing?
Old 05-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #9310
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

‘Don’t come to Qld’: Annastacia Palaszczuk’s shot at Gladys Berejiklian

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...b117cb31460559

"Ms Palaszczuk said more needed to be done to control the spread of coronavirus in hotels, which were not built for the UK variant.

“This virus is actually circulating in the corridors,” she said.

“We have got to do more – our quarantine is our last line of defence when it comes to protecting Australians.”

A report into Brisbane’s hotel quarantine infection in January will be handed down on Friday, prompting Ms Palaszczuk to ramp up calls for quarantine to be moved out of the cities to regional worker camps.

“You can only put options on the table,” she said. “It is up to the PM to come to the party and help.”

Well, when you are just starting into a new 4 year term, you can pretty much say what you want I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more hotel leaks. I think NZ are also using hotels for quarantine. Hotels were not built to be quarantine facilities.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:00 PM   #9311
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Still dont know why the quarantine isnt done off shore...perhaps higher costs of transport, but the risk is so much lower.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 05-02-2021, 04:36 PM   #9312
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do you mean by off shore? You mean australian facilities or other countries?
All Australian facilities are run by the federal government and they just don't want to do it. That's why.

So states have to either a) spend heaps of money to ensure a remote state owned site is staffed, facilities upgraded, have air evac ready for serious health issues, freight in people and food etc., or b) do what they are currently doing with less infrastructure upgrades, less expenditure etc by using hotels that are empty anyway.

Not a fan of the latter 'b' option myself, increasingly the premiers aren't either, but their hands are tied when the federal government refuses to lift a finger.
4 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2021, 05:18 PM   #9313
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are enough remote areas on main land that we don't need to go offshore. But it requires cost and effort.....and what odel said. When you see all the flak the various premiers have copped, it was probably a wise move.

Coincidentally, Victoria had an Infectious Disease Hospital in Fairfield (still pretty close to central Melb), but Mr Kennett demolished it. Not that I am blaming him, no one could have foreseen this 1 in 100 year event.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:20 PM   #9314
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Who is "they"?
Event run to provide international exposure, but instead all we're getting is covid exposure. You know what a pun is, right?
Old 05-02-2021, 06:24 PM   #9315
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Daniel Andrews claims government has ‘no tolerance for risk’, learns from NSW by not locking down

Quote:
What Daniel Andrews told reporters in Melbourne this morning has been labelled “a bit rich” by one of the country’s leading epidemiologists.

But experts say the Andrews Government willingly took on risk when it agreed to host the first Grand Slam tournament of the year and bring in 1000 players, coaches and officials.

“Of course it was a risk,” University of South Australia epidemiologist Professor Adrian Esterman told news.com.au.

“It is a bit rich (to say) that he has no tolerance for risk.”
https://www.news.com.au/national/vic...766a9cdd4bb77c

Quote:
Andrews exhibiting rare restraint in outbreak approach

Despite Victorians’ worst fears, Daniel Andrews didn’t follow the lead of other states and lock us down again. But yet another hotel quarantine stuff-up raises many questions.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscri...s&mode=premium
Old 05-02-2021, 06:34 PM   #9316
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not sure the two you listed are right. NZ is not banned, but is strongly discouraged.
Nope not even discouraged, mate left for Hawaii a month ago then onto the States to catch the Daytona 24 hr not a peep out of anyone over his travel plans we can do what we want, getting back is a bit more of a wait tho.
4 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2021, 07:54 PM   #9317
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do find it's strange that you guys are prisoners in your own country, they can't use the excuse of limited MIQ places on returning, they seem to be good with "Celebs" and sports people traveling at will.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:20 PM   #9318
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can leave the country it's just that they are trying to prevent people leaving for the short term except in certain circumstances because they obviously will want to return and there is already a very long wait for that.

As far as I'm aware it is unconstitutional to deny a citizen to return to Australia. It may very well be the same for leaving but at least they are already here.

Obviously though there are some practicalities that have to be considered in a pandemic and I believe there has been cases in relation to state borders that have been thrown out.

Flights are dictated by the market and that is affected due to caps because of quarantine requirements. This is why ACT can only handle repatriation flights (we are getting one on Monday) because not only we have less resources but there are no direct flights anymore by commercial airlines.

You could move quarantine out of the major population centres but you still need workers to service that need and they may well say they can't be arsed to do that.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:16 PM   #9319
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Event run to provide international exposure, but instead all we're getting is covid exposure. You know what a pun is, right?
Yeh I got your pun, just when you said "they" I thought you were implying that it was all a Vic thing. No dramas.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:46 PM   #9320
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All close contacts of infected Victorian hotel worker test negative. That includes two of his housemates.

Does anyone else find it odd that this super dooper infectious UK strain has now leaked out 3-4 times yet there has been no real outbreak?
Old 05-02-2021, 10:48 PM   #9321
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
You can leave the country it's just that they are trying to prevent people leaving for the short term except in certain circumstances because they obviously will want to return and there is already a very long wait for that.

As far as I'm aware it is unconstitutional to deny a citizen to return to Australia. It may very well be the same for leaving but at least they are already here.

Obviously though there are some practicalities that have to be considered in a pandemic and I believe there has been cases in relation to state borders that have been thrown out.

Flights are dictated by the market and that is affected due to caps because of quarantine requirements. This is why ACT can only handle repatriation flights (we are getting one on Monday) because not only we have less resources but there are no direct flights anymore by commercial airlines.
This mob seem to have a different view on it. Drop down to the Australians and permanent residents portion.
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr4...KVbXw.hFTaopg-
Old 05-02-2021, 10:48 PM   #9322
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
There are enough remote areas on main land that we don't need to go offshore. But it requires cost and effort.....and what odel said. When you see all the flak the various premiers have copped, it was probably a wise move.

Coincidentally, Victoria had an Infectious Disease Hospital in Fairfield (still pretty close to central Melb), but Mr Kennett demolished it. Not that I am blaming him, no one could have foreseen this 1 in 100 year event.
Where is all these so called infrastructures in these so called remote areas to support the quarantine of the vast numbers of people. The logistics and costs would be astronomical and the Pandemic most likely over before anything is up and running.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:00 PM   #9323
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Where is all these so called infrastructures in these so called remote areas to support the quarantine of the vast numbers of people. The logistics and costs would be astronomical and the Pandemic most likely over before anything is up and running.
So what, They've spent over 2.5 Million Dollars keeping 4 people on Christmas Island. Who in my opinion should be back at Biloela being the productive members on the community they were (are)..

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-14m-last-year
2 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2021, 11:18 PM   #9324
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
This mob seem to have a different view on it. Drop down to the Australians and permanent residents portion.
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr4...KVbXw.hFTaopg-
I think that is consistent with what I said. I'd think most people who want to leave would fit the following criteria
  • your travel is for your business/employer
  • you are travelling outside Australia for a compelling reason for three months or longer
  • you are travelling on compassionate or humanitarian grounds

They are trying to prevent people leaving for days or weeks because you have to come back and there is a plenty big enough queue for people who just want to come back home without adding to it.

So just wanting to go for a holiday is not appropriate and I can understand that. The departures are not our concern it is them coming back that is.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:35 PM   #9325
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
I dunno, elect me into office, pay me MP salaries and I'll get to work Was Howard Springs already built or was it built for quarantine?

I'm sure we have enough old mining sites to set something up if we really wanted to. Those sites would have hospitals relatively close by for the miners. They DON'T need 5 start hotels, they just need the basics. Its a bloody pandemic. Do a deal with the likes of metricon, they can get those ready made hutches up and ready in no time. We seem to be finding excuses how not to do it rather than finding a way to do it.

The hard thing would be getting staff to stay there for a prolong period of time, but if you pay fairly I am sure many would take it.

We are already near 1 trillion in debt, whats another $50-$100m to keep everyone safe and alive? This probably won't be the last pandemic. "Experts" are already warning that this will become more common as humans encroach more into wildlife habitat.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2021, 11:41 PM   #9326
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You still need the workers to provide the services and if you put quarantine in woop woop and require the workers to perhaps remain in a bubble, you have to pay them a lot more then you would otherwise.

If you can't get the workers to manage it all then it is dead on arrival.

I agree it would be a better solution but like many things where I work, you need to commit the resources. It would seem to be cheaper in the long run then this whole open / shut bull****.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2021, 11:59 PM   #9327
nstg8a

Current quarantine process is probably the most practical option there is.
They just need to nail down those little things that cause these leaks as much as they can.
But they will always happen at some point, you can’t have interaction without risk.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:23 AM   #9328
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The funny thing is that quarantine is actually a federal responsibility under the constitution however the states and territories agreed to manage it themselves.

Before all of this Covid drama, for most part Aussies considered that the state borders were for all purposes about administration.

We knew that that there were state and federal responsibilities but understood we are a federation where there is free movement between people, goods and services.

As I have said previously this has already been tested in court. So if we are having these issues between states and territories, no wonder it is harder in US given they have 50+ and it is more diverse.

I think our success is that at least our governments are talking regularly to each other and trying to get on the same page even if there is a difference in opinion where I feel that was lacking over there.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:39 AM   #9329
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Will we ever see scenes like this again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnIwCsQYoEc
Old 06-02-2021, 12:50 AM   #9330
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Will we ever see scenes like this again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnIwCsQYoEc
Eventually but in the short to medium term it really depends on how the vaccine goes.

I think I heard on the radio the other day that the AZ vaccine has shown to reduce transmission as well as symptomatic illness and that is what we are really all in on so that is good news.
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread