Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 05-08-2010, 01:24 AM   #31
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it had to happen!! For 10,000km I was driving around with a stripped nut on my Mondeo front lhs wheel, after driving home from Coma to Sydney I decided to rotate the tyres only to find I could fit the security socket in but when I tried to turn the nut it fell off. Went to the tyre place where they pulled that tyre off to check a screw in the tyre a few months ago they must have used a air gun to either take it off or put it on, but because they didn't charge me I didn't have a receipt to prove it,needless to say I will not use them again. My dealer had a special extraction drill for these sort of problem and requested them to replace the other 3 nuts while at it. The team leader said they had to stock up on nuts as nearly every customer there requested the same thing hate to say what would have happen if I had a flat in an isolated area of the Hume grrrrrr

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 05:39 AM   #32
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Ford security nuts are made by McGard and are pretty good compared to the sets in auto parts stores. All they have to do is start the security nut by hand and they'd never have a problem.

I sometimes wonder if the security nuts on the Mondeo are worth the hassle. No one's going to steal the factory wheels as they won't fit anything made in Japan or Australia. And if some Ford fan really wants your wheels, the standard security nuts won't stop them. You can buy security nuts with rotating sleeves that will stop the standard technique of bashing a socket on if you are worried about wheel theft. But my car is either in my garage or a motel carpark at night, so I've just got standard wheel nuts.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #33
Dusty1
Giddy up!

NZ XR6, I agree. Mine is mostly either in a car park or in a garage. I doubt someone will want to knock my wheels off. By the time these cars are in the hands of people who would knock off wheels/tyres, I will be out of mine, and so will most other owner's on here as well.

That said, I haven't taken mine off and probably won't. Just lazy, and there are other things that need doing around here before I can get onto that.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #34
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While waiting at the service department I walked over to the showroom and noticed the Titanium model had the security nut much further forward with a sleeve around the outside of the nut which made it look very chunky where mine was recessed into the wheel must have been a reason why they did this!!

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #35
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
While waiting at the service department I walked over to the showroom and noticed the Titanium model had the security nut much further forward with a sleeve around the outside of the nut which made it look very chunky where mine was recessed into the wheel must have been a reason why they did this!!

apstar
Yeah, that's the top of the line McGard with the rotating sleeve. Hammering a socket on won't work, so don't ever lose the key! I think that Gorilla make something similar. If I did fit locknuts, that's the type I'd go for.
Old 20-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #36
Jeremy J
Starter Motor

Thumbs up Purchased McGard

Thanks for this forum!! I had my original locknut key destroyed by service team as I've not rotated wheels myself but requested change at each service.

Had 4 services since picked up as new vehicle. Anyway after last service noticed that my request for rotation of wheels had not been undertaken. On further search found the destroyed key!! Not happy service centre denied any fault. Ford dealer advised me to have the locknuts removed and purchase a new set for $200+!!!

I have just received two replacements from McGard at 50Euros for two and no freight. A single is 18 Euros. So Aus cost is under $70. Arrived 10 days from ordering.
Jeremy J is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #37
Zippy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
From my experience, I think that the statement from LRSedan could be expanded to cover most things about the Mondeo, including from Ford Sales and Service people themselves.

ie I had a Ford Service person tell me it is impossible to take the key fob out of the car with the engine running. Had to explain to them about that whole "keyless start" thing.
You would think that having sold the vehicles for > 3 years, they would know something, but yeah, it is sad, but true whenever I have had a problem or query.