Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-06-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
edroders

Default Auto help needed

ok, so the story goes. I have a S2 Fairmont Ghia and a few weeks back i noticed the gearbox slipped, it only happened the once and the fluid was cold, so i put it off. then it happened again, and i thought i've got a big drive coming up so i'll top up the fluid before i go, so i put it off for another week or so. not loang after this i noticed a whining coming from the box that sounded like a supercharger, but no slipping so didn't think too much of it, i figured that a fluid top up would fix it. so the day before the big drive and i top the fluid up untill it dripped out the filler hole and then started the car and ran through the gears leaving it in each gear for 30 seconds or so with the break on so i could bring the revs up a bit, then checked the level, all seemed good.

then the day of the drive and i nearly didn't make it up the hills, the gearbox was slipping worse than ever, and it has gotten worse since. i had to drive it a few K's the other day and it couldn't go beyond 35kph for the slipping... is the gearbox FUBAR or will a flush, new fluid and a band tightening fix it?

Old 16-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
JK EX CHASER
Formally kotevski22

Gear box needs to be reconditioned sounds like the clutches are gone.
JK EX CHASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

fubar. get a new box.
Old 16-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it was low on oil the damage is probably already done.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edroders
......so the day before the big drive and i top the fluid up untill it dripped out the filler hole.....
How much did you have to top it up? A top up is 1/2 litre or so. If you had to put in several litres, well then..........
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whining means bye bye
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gears are knackerd, The box i bought i couldnt get out of second gear, didnt whine at all, just shat 3rd and 4th gear

Either you get a reco box or get one from the wrecker with warrenty for 3 months

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2010, 01:46 AM   #8
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

That's not the gearbox u purchased recently is it. Will have 3 month warranty if it is.
If not, i have a Exedy clutch and flywheel u can buy, and E-bay is selling a T5 at the moment. So all u'll have to sort is a pedal box and Ecu and no more gearbox issues. Stupid Auto's. Keep me in a job though. So everyone keep driving auto's please. Later.......
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah its the first one i bought, the second one i have in the car now is from the wreckers and its very nice, with 3 months warrenty, Either they replace the parts if its a cheap fix or they give me a nother gear box for nothing,

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
edroders

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB
How much did you have to top it up? A top up is 1/2 litre or so. If you had to put in several litres, well then..........
it only took a few hundred mls 250 - 300
Old 21-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edroders
it only took a few hundred mls 250 - 300
That's alright then, so your problem was not from running it dry.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post