Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 15-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
RicOz

Default Review: New Suburu Liberty v Rivals (Mondeo, Accord, Mazda6)

http://www.smh.com.au/drive/motor-ne...0911-fkj8.html

A bit silly to compare against the Mondeo LX with its basic standard features.

Old 15-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I don't think the spec would have made any difference in that comparison. A great car when launched no doubt ......... problem 18 months later is its rivals have caught and passed it! There is no shame in that and that’s what makes cars better.
When the time comes to trade it in I'll pick the best in class again regardless of the badge, it just so happened the Mondeo was best in class at the time, it may not be any more and that’s fine.

Last edited by paulie0735; 15-09-2009 at 06:15 PM.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicOz
http://www.smh.com.au/drive/motor-ne...0911-fkj8.html

A bit silly to compare against the Mondeo LX with its basic standard features.
Totally agree these testers have an hidden agenda at times but agree also with Paulie having had a TDCi it will be easier for me to pick my next car as I have a pretty good reference to compare to I'll wait for Ford to make up their mind if they bring in the 2.2L TDCi engine if not they loose a customer

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
RicOz

I was going to wait for the new Liberty to come out before buying my Zetec Mondeo, but I'm quite happy I didn't now.

Without seeing it in the flesh the new Liberty's exterior does nothing for me. Looks as bland as the latest Kia or Nissan. The interior looks nothing flash either.
Old 17-09-2009, 04:12 AM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting review. I didn't expect the Mondy to be the quickest but 11.1 sec 0-100 km/h? Maybe they tested it using 91 octane? And what on earth are Ford doing fitting Hankook tyres?

I agree with their assessment of the Mazda 6, but I couldn't live with the ride quality and tyre noise on typical NZ roads, especially on the 17" wheels. See also Peter Robinson's column in last month's Wheels.

I haven't seen a Liberty in the metal yet, but it looks very average in photos. And no way would I want a car with a CVT transmission.