Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 18-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Zippy7

Default Care of Wheels/Rims

Ok. So we all have a European Car that sheds lots of brake dust.

I washed my car for the first time, and got an old cloth to try and wipe down one wheel, but it was getting dark (I had left the wheels until last, as I go top down). Anyway, when I was gently wiping, the wheels felt kind of greasy, making me think there was some wax or chemical applied to the surface?

I never got around to the rest of the wheels (must try again this weekend!!) and finish off this wheel properly. It made me feel that next time I should get a car with a simple 5 spoke design, so there are less nooks and crannys to clean!

I have previously used Meguiars Alloy Wheel cleaner, but given that there seemed to be some wax on the wheel, I was worried about this cleaner getting rid of that layer. I thought about using a brush, but I thought that might scratch the wheels.

I'm interested in what do you guys do about it...

Old 18-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

I use car shampoo and a toothbrush to clean mine.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just use normal car shampoo and wash once a week. After time the break dust will build up and start to eat into the clear coat on the wheels and become pretty hard to clean.

I recommend you get a separate sponge for your wheels and hit them with some hot soapy water once a week and rinse and dry.
Old 18-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am going to spray the wheels with clear lacquer spray paint hopefully it will protect the surface as the lacquer will be an barrier between the dust and the alloy
apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Zippy7

Well, I cleaned the outside of the car today...
In the end, after cleaning the wheels, I decided I might as well try using car wax on the wheels (it was suggested to me by my brother). We shall see how it goes
Old 20-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
I am going to spray the wheels with clear lacquer spray paint hopefully it will protect the surface as the lacquer will be an barrier between the dust and the alloy
apstar
The wheels are already clear-coated. No need.

I suggest washing your wheels with a car shampoo, and waxing / sealing them with the same product you do your paint with.

My wheels are sealed with Zaino Z2pro. I can go 2 weeks with no considerable brake dust buildup. They still look silver, not black.

Makes washing them super easy as well.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LRsedan thanks for that where do you get yours from!

apstar
Old 21-07-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Zaino from one of the following.

www.waxit.com.au
www.finalinspection.com.au (online store is down, call them and ask for Elise)

You need the z2pro and the zfx accelerator.

Its pricey, but you can do your paint as well. It offers great protection.
There are other options as well some cheaper.

If you jump on the www.detailaddiction.com.au forums, there is plenty of info and friendly people.
Old 21-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
Zaino from one of the following.

www.waxit.com.au
www.finalinspection.com.au (online store is down, call them and ask for Elise)

You need the z2pro and the zfx accelerator.

Its pricey, but you can do your paint as well. It offers great protection.
There are other options as well some cheaper.

If you jump on the www.detailaddiction.com.au forums, there is plenty of info and friendly people.
Under Wheel & Tyre there are NO discussions!!

apstar
Old 21-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
Zippy7

Have you signed up/joined that forum?
I have not signed up, but then again, I also see nothing.
Perhaps they require peeps to sign up to see posts?
Old 21-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #11
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Zippy7
Normally you cannot post as a guest but still view :

apstar
Old 21-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #12
Zippy7

Hey Apstar,

When you are not signed in on that particular forum, you cannot see anything. It does say there are threads in the main forum list, but it will not show them to you. I have since registered, and now I can view the threads.
[I know that is not normally the case, but I think you'll see "private" flagged for all their posts]

Last edited by Zippy7; 21-07-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Zippy7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 10:34 PM   #13
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks mate I will register

apstar
Old 22-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #14
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Yeah just register.

And search for wheel wax, wheel sealing etc.

Or just post a new thread and wait for a plethora of advice. The guys are super friendly!

My username there is MondeoXR5t
Old 22-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
Zippy7

Quote:
My username there is MondeoXR5t
Strange "insiders club" you've got over there mate!

I registered yesterday, and today, I've been banned for no reason. I was going to recommend the site to a friend based in Melbourne, but obviously they aren't interested in expanding their circle of contacts? I'll email the guy and see what comes back, but that's very pathetic of them (never even sent me the registration confirmation).
Old 22-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #16
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7
Ok. So we all have a European Car that sheds lots of brake dust.

I washed my car for the first time, and got an old cloth to try and wipe down one wheel, but it was getting dark (I had left the wheels until last, as I go top down). Anyway, when I was gently wiping, the wheels felt kind of greasy, making me think there was some wax or chemical applied to the surface?

I never got around to the rest of the wheels (must try again this weekend!!) and finish off this wheel properly. It made me feel that next time I should get a car with a simple 5 spoke design, so there are less nooks and crannys to clean!

I have previously used Meguiars Alloy Wheel cleaner, but given that there seemed to be some wax on the wheel, I was worried about this cleaner getting rid of that layer. I thought about using a brush, but I thought that might scratch the wheels.

I'm interested in what do you guys do about it...

DP wheel glaze is your friend...you can get it from waxit.com

Its a wheel sealant, so you put it in once every 2-3 months and just use shampoo to wash each time you wash the car...Say goodbye to brake dust

2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #17
Zippy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmale42
DP wheel glaze is your friend...you can get it from waxit.com

Its a wheel sealant, so you put it in once every 2-3 months and just use shampoo to wash each time you wash the car...Say goodbye to brake dust

Thanks for that - Nice photo of your wheels.
Do you take the whole wheel off and wash/apply the wheel glaze. Or is it sufficient to apply to the outside surfaces whilst the wheel is still on the car?

Cheers.
Old 22-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #18
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for that - Nice photo of your wheels.
Do you take the whole wheel off and wash/apply the wheel glaze. Or is it sufficient to apply to the outside surfaces whilst the wheel is still on the car?

Cheers.

I just do the outside....I'm a lazy bastard.

Before I applied it for the first time I sprayed withe Megs Hot Wheels and used a wheel scrubbing brush (avail from supercheap) to get rid of the grime that had already stuck to the rim then rinsed with water, dried off with a cotton terry toweling cloth then appllied the DP...let form a haze then buff off with a microfibre or terry towel cloth.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 22-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #19
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guess what out of stock just my luck

apstar
Old 22-07-2008, 10:19 PM   #20
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Strange "insiders club" you've got over there mate!

I registered yesterday, and today, I've been banned for no reason. I was going to recommend the site to a friend based in Melbourne, but obviously they aren't interested in expanding their circle of contacts? I'll email the guy and see what comes back, but that's very pathetic of them (never even sent me the registration confirmation).
ah it happened to me also who gives a toss anyway I'm happy here

apstar

ps I think I have worked it out if you use a non ISP account e.g. hotmail,gmail,etc that could knock us off nice to tell us first when I registered I did not see any reference to it!!

Last edited by apstar; 22-07-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 22-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #21
Zippy7

Hey Apstar,
I sent them an email and they unlocked me, so I will have a snoop around later. I tried using my fastmail email addy, and they wouldnt let me sign up with that, so I then used my hotmail, which got banned. I just emailed them using the feedback form on their website.
Old 22-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #22
Zippy7

Quote:
Before I applied it for the first time I sprayed withe Megs Hot Wheels and used a wheel scrubbing brush (avail from supercheap) to get rid of the grime that had already stuck to the rim then rinsed with water, dried off with a cotton terry toweling cloth then appllied the DP...let form a haze then buff off with a microfibre or terry towel cloth.
I had a look at getting a wheel brush at Kmart during their 25% off sale, but those brushes seem rather stiff, and I was kinda skeptical. Will have to try out the toothbrush or find something to deal with the nooks and crannies.

So the brake dust just hoses off easy after they've been waxed?
Old 23-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #23
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We no longer stock Wheel Wax, instead recommend OCW which is a spray on Hybrid Wax and much easier to use, it is $35 for 500ml.
apstar
Old 23-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #24
Zippy7

Is that a special price, just for you? :P (joking - I am sure he just got mixed up)

I presume this is the product - Optimum Spray Wax, also referred to as Optimum Car Wax in the description. http://waxit.com.au/proddetail.asp?prod=OP0002&cat=40

I will see how my wheels are in another week or so of driving.
Old 23-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #25
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
Is that a special price, just for you? :P (joking - I am sure he just got mixed up)

I presume this is the product - Optimum Spray Wax, also referred to as Optimum Car Wax in the description. http://waxit.com.au/proddetail.asp?prod=OP0002&cat=40

I will see how my wheels are in another week or so of driving.
OCW on the wheels is awesome, It will help no doubt. I even use it on my wheels from time to time (applied over the Zaino Z2pro).

OCW is also great on your paint every second wash. Very glossy and keeps the water beading. It is also safe on glass (use on the windshield, cuts down on wiper use), and plastics such as the window rubbers on top of the doors (stops them discolouring), plastics in the engine bay, use in the door jambs to keep them cleaner for longer. The list goes on.

Even if you don't use OCW on the wheels or exterior paint, its a MUST have car care product IMO.

However I've found the Zaino to be the best on wheels, it stops dust build up far longer between washes. It sheds brake dust like no other product I've tried, inluding dedicated wheel waxes.
Old 23-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #26
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
OCW on the wheels is awesome, It will help no doubt. I even use it on my wheels from time to time (applied over the Zaino Z2pro).

OCW is also great on your paint every second wash. Very glossy and keeps the water beading. It is also safe on glass (use on the windshield, cuts down on wiper use), and plastics such as the window rubbers on top of the doors (stops them discolouring), plastics in the engine bay, use in the door jambs to keep them cleaner for longer. The list goes on.

Even if you don't use OCW on the wheels or exterior paint, its a MUST have car care product IMO.

However I've found the Zaino to be the best on wheels, it stops dust build up far longer between washes. It sheds brake dust like no other product I've tried, inluding dedicated wheel waxes.
Duragloss Aquawax is similar to OCW in all respects and half the price for a similar result

Old 23-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #27
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

now I'm really confused on what to use :

apstar
Old 23-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #28
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Duragloss Aquawax is similar to OCW in all respects and half the price for a similar result
so it will work on the alloy wheels to prevent dust build up! yes you are right its much cheaper

apstar
Old 23-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #29
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I have my doubts re any product that will actually prevent the dust buildup.
Some products will help it stick = not good.
Some will help it not stick = good.
But nothing will prevent it = fact.

I'm still looking for a replacement brake pad but sadly nothing yet....... :( The euro spec pads are filthy and way to hard for our conditions). I replaced the pads on my wife’s old Astra convertible after we had it 2.5 weeks. She than did over 70,000 on the factory rotors and they were still roadworthy when we sold it. The wheels were a breeze to clean after that. (Astras would tear the front rotors to pieces every 30,000 k's on the factory pads).
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #30
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
In my use of both products, aquawax is far less durable, and doesn't have the clarity or depth of OCW.

Aquawax also is not recommended for use on plastics as far as I know. So by buying OCW you get literally 10 products in the one bottle.

Just my opinion, I prefer the look and functionality of OCW. But yes I agree aquawax is a nice cost effective spray wax.

Yes no product will stop the dust, but they will help reduce how much dust sticks to your rim as Paul has pointed out.

I'll post up pics of my wheels after 1 week of use, let you guys see how they look...