Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #1
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Warped DBA rotors!!

About 9 months ago I fitted a pair of DBA rotors (& Bendix Ultimate pads) to the front of the wagon, initially, (apart from the harder pedal I was told to expect from these pads) I was reasonably impressed with the slight increase in braking performance (it is series 1 after all). Over the last few weeks however, I have noticed the rotors starting to warp (pulsating pedal etc), so I removed them, had them machined, & during this process I was chatting to my mate at his workshop & he informed me that it's not uncommon for this to occur, the biggest cause of warping is apparently using a "rattle gun" (of which I'm guilty) to tighten the wheelnuts. He tells me that the (floating) rotors are actually "quite soft" & don't like the extra torque from the gun. I took his advice & shall monitor them over the next year or so, but I must say I was a little surprised by this. Am I the only person who was unaware of this issue with soft rotors??? _

Old 11-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
feebs
BrwnBstd

I have slotted rotors and they do not wobble yet, but I admit it has not been in for treatment from a rattle gun yet either.

Will watch this thread I think, as I HATE the wobble!
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 10:36 AM   #3
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks, i was gonna get a set soon and now i shall be careful.

when you say harder pedal do you mean the brakes is more responsive ie it only takes a little touch and youve just broken all your bones? or just an improvement over the standard one?

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Rattle guns themselves do not cause the problem, but their use can lead to them warping, If the gun is calibrated to torque the wheel nuts to the correct tension or a tensioning device is used on the gun, the nuts will be done correctly.

It is possible to cause the problem just doing them up by hand if the recommended tension is exceded.

Driving habits also lead to warped rotors.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #5
BlackLS

Id say driving habits will cause the most problem with rotor warping. Putting the car in neutral at the lights does a LOT to prevent the problem.

You'll find manual falcons don't have this problem as often as autos.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 11:53 AM   #6
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

i have had DBA slotted on the sedan, front and back since xmas, with the same pads and no warping thus far.
But i noticed a dramatic increase in braking ability, possibly because did the back too
Old 11-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

I have slightly warped mine and they have only been on a few months, and about 6 thousand K's. I think it was a combination of doing a big run through the mountains when they were brand new, and washing my car one day when the brakes were still really hot. And probably from the rattle gun you mentioned as JAX do my wheels up with the rattle gun.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #8
AUTickford
XD197

Rattle guns dont warp rotors, rubbing brakes or someone riding the brakes all the time will do it. Rattle guns break studs and crossthread them and leave them too tight to get off without a breaker bar, yay broken studs!!!
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 02:13 PM   #9
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some interesting observations I must say. Driving habits.........well, I replaced the original rotors predominately because they were 6 years old (1 machine left before being undersize) & had NEVER had warping issues (even with the same rattle gun/driving habits over 3 years since I rebuilt this AU) moreover, in the 5 years I've owned my EF, the fronts have only been machined ONCE, & this was when I needed to replace pads, not because of warping. My AU has done very little driving, is not driven hard & is exceptionally well maintained as is my EF both of which are driven solely by me, so I can only conclude that these DBA rotors are the issue, however I may switch to a softer pad as these could also be a contributing factor. In my earlier post I (wrongly) stated I was using Bendix "Ultimate" pads, they are in fact Bendix "Advance" pads, sorry if I misled anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
when you say harder pedal do you mean the brakes is more responsive ie it only takes a little touch and youve just broken all your bones? or just an improvement over the standard one?
Definately an improvement over the std rotors/pads, however in order to generate less dust, I opted for a harder pad, the downside is harder pedal, less wear, not as immediate with stopping power (those are my observations).

Last edited by The Dok; 11-10-2006 at 03:09 PM.
The Dok is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #10
auvct

i also had a set of slotted dba's on my 99 fairlane with ultimate pads.
I went back to oem discs and the shudder and wobble was gone which i also fitted bosch pads.
1.I heard two stories:that heat builds up at the end of the slots causing hot spots.
2.ultimates need a lot of heat to work properly.

As mine is a daily driver the pads weren't getting hot where as i check my slotted discs they were worn by .010" on each side after 6 months.
So the new ones on now and i havent had a problem.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #11
Robe

For more than 10 years my work car was always a Falcon wagon (mid 1990's to mid 2000's). Due to the distances I travelled the organisation probably turned them over at least every 12 months often earlier. (40,000km was the trigger distance for chage-over.) In that time I had plenty of experience with not very old discs warping and requiring machining.

And not due to riding the brake pedal or other bad driving habits

I came to think it was just a normal new Ford thing.

Funny but my ancient AU, bought two years ago, and now with around 250,000km on the clock does not show any indication of that problem.

Bog standard silver BF Wagon, except for the Elvis doll , on gas.

Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Association
www.VRRDA.com.au

2015 Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance State Championships
23 May 2015, Furlan Club, Thornbury
Robe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Doing up the nuts really tight with a rattle gun would only affect the drum part of the disc being pushed harder against the hub wouldn't it?

How would that warp the actual disc surface, unless it's torqued unbelievably tight!

My few ponderings! LOL!

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 05:38 PM   #13
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Yes it affects the drum part but apparantly this will cause run out in the rotor due to distortion from the drum part.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2023, 04:17 PM   #14
brandbuster777

Default Re: Warped DBA rotors!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS View Post
Id say driving habits will cause the most problem with rotor warping. Putting the car in neutral at the lights does a LOT to prevent the problem.

You'll find manual falcons don't have this problem as often as autos.
Why is this?
brandbuster777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2023, 12:53 PM   #15
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Mate he was a guest back in 2006 and it comes up with a invalid user name.
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2023, 01:09 PM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

See this thread and check out the links, if any, that still work (most don't after nearly 10 years) https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11429164 "Warped Discs and Other Brake Myths"

Here's some links on the subject that still work:
https://www.centricparts.com/media/t...c-8-2018_1.pdf
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/18...ed-rotor-myth/
https://www.crossdrilledrotors.ca/bl...the-right-way/
https://alconkits.com/blogs/brake-te...ed-brake-discs
https://www.hellcat.org/threads/the-...optech.218717/
https://alconkits.com/blogs/news/the...d-brake-rotors
https://ipgparts.com/blogs/blog/stop...ny-brake-myths

Last edited by aussiblue; 25-11-2023 at 01:32 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2023, 09:32 AM   #17
8POT

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandbuster777 View Post
Why is this?
the idea is that if you are sitting at the lights with your brakes on the disk will not cool down evenly (where the pads are touching) and cause it to warp.

Manual cars don't need the brake on constantly to stop the car from moving.
8POT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2023, 10:05 AM   #18
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8POT View Post
the idea is that if you are sitting at the lights with your brakes on the disk will not cool down evenly (where the pads are touching) and cause it to warp.

Manual cars don't need the brake on constantly to stop the car from moving.
I can see where the theory comes from, but I don't think anywhere that you're waiting at lights, you're going to be getting your brakes hot enough to cause that kind of damage anyway.
If your brakes are getting hot enough to warp between street lights, there's got to be something else going on.

I decided to check my own brake rotors with a thermal camera after a 40-minute drive (highway followed by town driving) one day and they were no hotter than 70°c, and even then, that was from the internal vanes of the rotor. Turns out that ventilated brakes are actually really efficient at transferring heat away from the friction surface.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flir_20200828T111303.jpg (71.2 KB, 2 views)
Metdevil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: