Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2024, 10:02 PM   #1
BKCH
Starter Motor

Question Advice needed!! Big 1955 F100 upgrade planning!

Hi folks!!! I'm very excited to kick off a big upgrade for my '55 F100 and wanted to ask some opinions here (I hope this thread is the right place to post - pls educate me if not!)

Some details on my truck as she stands:
- 1955 with pretty good paintwork - although needs a few touch-ups here and there. Interior and bed are both pretty nice.
- It's running a fairly stock 460 that seems in reasonable (if a little boring) condition paired to a C6 that feels like it needs some love
- The steering and brakes are not good - they pass rego but I try not to drive the truck long distances / on freeways as it is. If it's relevant it's running a transplanted Jag front end and she's setup so the front end is waaay too low to handle most driveways :|
- The chassis is clearly showing it's age. I believe it has some "flex" in it around corners and it also seems pretty obviously it's bending when putting it up on jack stands (although I'm just judging this by 'eye')
- I reckon it's worth roughly $75k as it stands...

I think I want to do a pretty serious upgrade to chassis + brakes + suspension + drive train.

The outcome I'm looking for:
- Brakes + suspension that makes it a super-easy everyday drive that I could take distances - frequently 2 hours between the Hunter Valley and Sydney but the occasional tour as well
- Chassis that is solid (!)
- Significant power upgrade
- I'll stick to automatic - keen to make this an easy driver my wife can jump in and have fun with - although a modern box with paddle auto might be interesting.
- Fat wheels at the back that will require panel work (likely into the rear bed)

I'm thinking about finding someone to do a complete chassis swap + a coyote crate + transmission... + the cosmetics to fit the new wheels and power plant... Hoping I can get away with this for somewhere around $150k but we'll see I guess.

I just want to emphasise the outcome I'm hoping for is a head-turning, easy daily driver that get's up and roars when pushed...

So... would love to ask the community for some advice:
- Am I crazy?
- Any parts of my plan that are particularly bone-headed or perhaps could be achieved easier/cheaper?
- Should I think about selling my truck and doing a ground up project? (Or buying something finished!)
- Any other advice...
BKCH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2024, 10:09 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Advice needed!! Big 1955 F100 upgrade planning!

I reckon stick with the 460 and freshen it up, maybe retrofit an OD trans to it.

Otherwise, **** Coyote, go Godzilla:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9000-PM73A

$20,000 USD ex shipping and import duty, but includes:

7.3L Godzilla
PCM/TCM controls package
10R140 10sp auto
Accessory drive for engine
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post