Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-01-2024, 05:47 PM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default So like me you thought it was OK to plug a 10amp device into a 15amp outlet.

Like most people you probably all know you should not try to plug a 15amp device into a 10amp outlet or modify the cord or worse the plug so you could. But you also probably assumed like many, including me until today, that it was OK to plug a 10amp plug or device into a 15amp socket as they normally fit and appear to work fine. But I learnt today this is actually not the case.

I have a double 15amp outlet in my shed I had installed some years ago (when I bought my car lift) by an electrician with both separately fused so I could use both the car lift and a mig welder in my shed. I recently bought a Jamec Penn Wal Mounted tyre inflater to use with my Woodstar CP16 wall mounted compressor and decided that the most convenient place to hang this in terms of using it to fill tyres and to avoid having to use long extension cords or long hose lines was alongside the 15amp twin outlet and utilise that outlet with these two 10amp devices. However, when I came to plug them in I found that these 15 amp outlets were safety shuttered so that unless a 15 amp earth was in the earth pin socket access to active and neutral were blocked. Enquires to the Bunnings Workshop site about if suitable adapters existed initially resulted in advice that “I've spoken with HPM, and their HPM 15A Double Powerpoint will accept a 10A plug. Alternatively, it might be worth installing a 10A outlet next to your 15A” but subsequently the revised advice: “However, speaking with Deta, they have strongly advised that you do not force a 10A plug into their 15A socket as the shutters have been introduced to exclude 10A plugs; the reason is as follows: A circuit designed for 15A devices has suitable overload protection designed for them. It's best to run 10A devices on a circuit designed for them so the overload protection trips immediately if something goes wrong. A failing 10A device on a 15A circuit might not trip it immediately. If, for some reason, the overload is not triggered and the 10A cable or device overheats, it could be a fire risk.” On reflection this makes sense and so I guess it’s actually not really OK after all to plug 10amp devices into 15 amp outlets and I will be re-siting my wall mounted devices near one of the 10 amp outlets on the other side of the workshop.

Adding some more 10 amp outlets would be an expensive exercise for me as my existing switchboard is full so the last electrician I used said that if I wanted to add anything more it would have to be completely replaced or an additional sub- board added and, having been through that once to replace the original asbestos backed board, I know that gets to be a very expensive exercise that I cannot justify. I don’t really want 15amp cords or plugs on the inflator and compressor as that would prevent their use with normal 10amp outlets and void the warranty. For safety reason I also don’t want to suspend cords or air hoses over the top of my car lift. What I really need is a plug in safety switch that has both RCD and overcurrent protection; something like this but with 15amp pins: https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-si...witch_p7050029

In any event, I though other members would like to know about this little known safety issue. Most websites when I searched, wrongly it now seems, advise it is fine to plug a 10amp device into a 15 amp outlet.

Last edited by aussiblue; 19-01-2024 at 05:56 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2024, 06:01 PM   #2
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Default Re: So like me you thought it was OK to plug a 10amp device into a 15amp outlet.

Ground down plenty of 15amp earth pins, but never thought you’d need to “add metal” to a 10amp for it to work in a 15 outlet…
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2024, 06:08 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: So like me you thought it was OK to plug a 10amp device into a 15amp outlet.

Quote:
Ground down plenty of 15amp earth pins, but never thought you’d need to “add metal” to a 10amp for it to work in a 15 outlet…
I now have this picture in my head of Charliewool wrapping layers of foil around the earth pin on a 10amp plug and...

Old 19-01-2024, 06:19 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

So it really just requires the reverse of ye olde “15 into 10” short extension lead.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2024, 06:51 PM   #5
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

If your that concerned about electrical safety dont by Deta junk from Bunnos

Whats the breaker rated at? 16A is fine for a 10A outlet, just swap the outlet
redxm is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-01-2024, 07:05 PM   #6
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Like most people you probably all know you should not try to plug a 15amp device into a 10amp outlet or modify the cord or worse the plug so you could. But you also probably assumed like many, including me until today, that it was OK to plug a 10amp plug or device into a 15amp socket as they normally fit and appear to work fine. But I learnt today this is actually not the case.

I have a double 15amp outlet in my shed I had installed some years ago (when I bought my car lift) by an electrician with both separately fused so I could use both the car lift and a mig welder in my shed. I recently bought a Jamec Penn Wal Mounted tyre inflater to use with my Woodstar CP16 wall mounted compressor and decided that the most convenient place to hang this in terms of using it to fill tyres and to avoid having to use long extension cords or long hose lines was alongside the 15amp twin outlet and utilise that outlet with these two 10amp devices. However, when I came to plug them in I found that these 15 amp outlets were safety shuttered so that unless a 15 amp earth was in the earth pin socket access to active and neutral were blocked. Enquires to the Bunnings Workshop site about if suitable adapters existed initially resulted in advice that “I've spoken with HPM, and their HPM 15A Double Powerpoint will accept a 10A plug. Alternatively, it might be worth installing a 10A outlet next to your 15A” but subsequently the revised advice: “However, speaking with Deta, they have strongly advised that you do not force a 10A plug into their 15A socket as the shutters have been introduced to exclude 10A plugs; the reason is as follows: A circuit designed for 15A devices has suitable overload protection designed for them. It's best to run 10A devices on a circuit designed for them so the overload protection trips immediately if something goes wrong. A failing 10A device on a 15A circuit might not trip it immediately. If, for some reason, the overload is not triggered and the 10A cable or device overheats, it could be a fire risk.” On reflection this makes sense and so I guess it’s actually not really OK after all to plug 10amp devices into 15 amp outlets and I will be re-siting my wall mounted devices near one of the 10 amp outlets on the other side of the workshop.

Adding some more 10 amp outlets would be an expensive exercise for me as my existing switchboard is full so the last electrician I used said that if I wanted to add anything more it would have to be completely replaced or an additional sub- board added and, having been through that once to replace the original asbestos backed board, I know that gets to be a very expensive exercise that I cannot justify. I don’t really want 15amp cords or plugs on the inflator and compressor as that would prevent their use with normal 10amp outlets and void the warranty. For safety reason I also don’t want to suspend cords or air hoses over the top of my car lift. What I really need is a plug in safety switch that has both RCD and overcurrent protection; something like this but with 15amp pins: https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-si...witch_p7050029

In any event, I though other members would like to know about this little known safety issue. Most websites when I searched, wrongly it now seems, advise it is fine to plug a 10amp device into a 15 amp outlet.
Hi. Check the circuit breakers in the main board, you may find they are all 20amp rated for the power circuits. If so a sparky may be able to put a sub board in the shed using the existing wiring to the shed. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2024, 07:13 PM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
So it really just requires the reverse of ye olde “15 into 10” short extension lead.
But prefaced by the words "equally illegal and likely nearly as dangerous..."

Having known several people and knowing of other people that have been fatally electrocuted i have a more than healthy respect for electricity. But I also accept a professional electrical may not always be the answer noting:

a) There was an article and ongoing discussion over some months in Electronics Australia magazine about the issue some years ago noting the in those countries (or some States in some countries like USA) that either allowed home owners to do their own wiring or had schemes that gave limited licences after training to home owners the rate (not just the number) of electrocution accidents was lower in the home owner amateur electricians than in professional electricians;
b) many of the recorded mortalities from electrocution involve professional electricians or their apprentices working on live wires where their co-worker or boss has tuned the power back on or they had been through the routine so many times the though they had turned power off at the main switchboard but had not (and similar "familiarity builds contempt issues");
c) when I checked the power points in my then newly built home in the early eighties with a simple three LED Clipsal tester, I found that my than half my power points were not earthed as the electrician or whoever he had install them had not stripped any insulation off the earth wire and had seemingly wrongly assumed that screwing down the earth terminal scree hard would piece the wire but this had not happened; I do wonder how many other homes built by what was then WA's largest home builder still have such faulty unearthed sockets in them; and
d) the electrician that installed the 15 amp outlets in my shed had his wife call me back a few days later to see if he had reinstalled the screws holding the board onto the wall; he had not screwed the board in again but at least he had a sudden subconscious reminder though I wonder how often similar things happen that aren't remembered at all.

Last edited by aussiblue; 19-01-2024 at 07:35 PM.
Old 19-01-2024, 07:29 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Check the circuit breakers in the main board, you may find they are all 20amp rated for the power circuits. If so a sparky may be able to put a sub board in the shed using the existing wiring to the shed. Cheers
They can, but so far not at a price that equates to the marginal additional convenience of using the slightly closer and more easily accessible from that side of the shed power points. If it becomes an annoying inconvenience I will reconsider this option or perhaps more likely re-site the inflator and compressor to the power points in the carport under the house roof.
Old 19-01-2024, 07:38 PM   #9
Warrenk

Never had an issue plugging a 10amp plug in a 15a GPO. I am a licensed electrician and never heard it is illegal to do so. The earth pin on a 10amp plug should be able to open the shutter on a 15a GPO.
Old 19-01-2024, 07:54 PM   #10
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Yes, people don't appreciate that a circuit breaker is really there for the protection of the wiring. If the device, and therefore wiring, is designed to take 10 amps, but the circuit protection is designed to trip at a nominal 15 amp, then the 10 amp wiring is not protected at the rating it is designed for.

Naturally, there is always margin in the design so you may be able to get away with it most if the time, but it won't work all the time.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2024, 07:56 PM   #11
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

2 pin plugs?

I see online pics show the Woodster with a 2 pin plug.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2024, 08:16 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I see the Clipsal ones as with many other brands except perhaps HPM also now have this safety shutter that inhibits the insertion of a 10amp plug into their 15 amp socket so I am guessing there may been a recent change to AS/NZS 3112. the standard for AC power plugs (male) and sockets (female) requiring it.
Old 19-01-2024, 08:19 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
I see online pics show the Woodster with a 2 pin plug.
Nah; my, BiG W I think originally sourced, Woodstar came with and has a 10 amp three pin plug. Perhaps the ones sold in their home country Germany or elsewhere had a two pin plug. If I could find another brand of compact wall mounted compressor with and 15 amp I might buy it, I already have several larger floor and trolley tank mounted compressors but this is great to leave on the wall not tripping you over or invading significant head room or floor space where you park the cars for tyre inflation.

Last edited by aussiblue; 19-01-2024 at 08:29 PM.
Old 19-01-2024, 09:19 PM   #14
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

sounds like a 'theoretical risk' that legislation has 'fixed'
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2024, 01:49 AM   #15
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

1: your average bunnings counter jumper is hardly a reliable source.
2: DETA arent exactly a credible source either
3: safety shutters were introduced to save little johnny from sticking a fork into a GPO (power point)
4: get a licensed electrician to install a double 15a GPO that doesnt have the idiotic safety shutters, they exist.
Old 20-01-2024, 07:39 AM   #16
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
sounds like a 'theoretical risk' that legislation has 'fixed'
Hardly a theoretical risk. Think of it like pairing a drive shaft rated at 200nm (figures picked for illustrative purposes only) with an engine that can output 300nm (the drive shaft is the cable, the engine is the circuit breaker in this comparison). The drive shaft will have margin built into its design so some shafts may handle the 300nm if the operator demands it from the engine, which may not ever happen) but there is also the possibility that the drive shaft may not handle the torque of demanded, in which case all sorts of undesirable implications could occur.

It's a safety issue first and foremost. That's also why it's a requirement of as3000 and has been for quite some time, IIRC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 20-01-2024, 08:43 AM   #17
roKWiz
Cabover nut

They've been selling approved 15amp to 10amp leads for the RV industry for years.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2024, 11:31 AM   #18
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
They've been selling approved 15amp to 10amp leads for the RV industry for years.
The adaptors are so you can plug a 15a lead into a 10a GPO. Won't have any effect on what the subject is about.
Old 20-01-2024, 11:54 AM   #19
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
1: your average bunnings counter jumper is hardly a reliable source.
2: DETA arent exactly a credible source either
3: safety shutters were introduced to save little johnny from sticking a fork into a GPO (power point)
4: get a licensed electrician to install a double 15a GPO that doesnt have the idiotic safety shutters, they exist.
1. It wasn't a counter jocky it was the one of the staff that run the Hardware Forum now called Bunnings Workshop and he consulted HPM and DEETA and I assume Bunnings own technical staff.
2. DETA and HPM both make 15 AMP outlets so at least they would have the AS/NZS 3112 and all technical manufacturing and safety knowledge required at their fingertips.
3. But in this case also to prevent 10 amo plugs being inserted into 15 amp sockets.
4. Perhaps, but I will see where all this goes first.
Old 20-01-2024, 12:23 PM   #20
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
The adaptors are so you can plug a 15a lead into a 10a GPO. Won't have any effect on what the subject is about.
and the subject is about running 10amp appliance from 15amp power point or did I miss something.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2024, 12:29 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Just cut it off completely, the earth is only there for the safety devices anyway
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2024, 12:35 PM   #22
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Some of the responses in here remind me of the advice I gave years ago to another member on here: just because you can doesn't mean you should.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2024, 12:47 PM   #23
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Normally the shutters should move out of the way with a 10 Amp plug but if a bit sticky, they might need some help. With the circuit breaker off, spray the 3 holes where the plug gets inserted with silicone dry lubricant and wait for it to dry properly. Insert a 15 Amp plug several times to get the shutters moving easily again. Try the 10 Amp plug. Switch the circuit breaker back on.

Hope this works, good luck mate.
Old 20-01-2024, 12:49 PM   #24
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Just cut it off completely, the earth is only there for the safety devices anyway
electrical safety is over rated
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2024, 02:28 PM   #25
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
The drive shaft will have margin built into its design so some shafts may handle the 300nm if the operator demands it from the engine, which may not ever happen) but there is also the possibility that the drive shaft may not handle the torque of demanded, in which case all sorts of undesirable implications could occur.
So there are 10amp devices that if they see a 15A source, will accept that 15A and burn out? I'm no sparkie, but I thought a device is designed to take what it needs, not what's available?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2024, 03:30 PM   #26
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
So there are 10amp devices that if they see a 15A source, will accept that 15A and burn out? I'm no sparkie, but I thought a device is designed to take what it needs, not what's available?
The current rating of the power point is irrelevant as they have no current limitations apart from their internal components ability to safely pass the current through to the appliances. The protection device at the switchboard dictates how much current can be delivered through the cable and power point. For this reason, 10 and 15 Amp power points can share the same circuit and protecting device. As previously mentioned by another sparky here, the fuse, circuit breaker etc are intended to protect the cable, nothing else.
Old 20-01-2024, 04:09 PM   #27
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
Never had an issue plugging a 10amp plug in a 15a GPO. I am a licensed electrician and never heard it is illegal to do so. The earth pin on a 10amp plug should be able to open the shutter on a 15a GPO.
Yup, I agree with Warrenk. I too am a licenced electrician.

The design of the 10 amp, 15 amp, 20 amp, 25 amp, and 32 amp single phase outlets is that the small can go into the bigger, but not the other way around. The physical interlock is the size and shape of the earth pin that increases with size. The 10 amp plug can go into (and open the shutters) of the 15 amp.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS/NZS_3112 for pictures.

Not sure why DETA decided to depart from a very long standing practice.

Those arguing about the upstream protection size are barking up the wrong tree here as well. Most domestic power circuit are either protected by a 16 amp fuse or a 20 amp circuit breaker. (And, these days, hopefully everything is also covered by an RCD.) If one looks at the operating characteristic of both, in the overload part of the curve, they are about the same. The 20A circuit breaker is much, much, better in clearing short circuits than the 16 amp fuse.

When putting a 10A plug into a 15A socket, thermal overload is not a problem as the device is limited to under 10A. The only concern is having sufficient low impedance as to clear a fault using the overcurrent part of the protective curve. Given the size of the conductor in the appliance, this is not a concern either as the cable fault rating for 1mm2 flexible is 1.2x104 A²s

There are a few options ...

1) Depending on the size of the wiring and the selected circuit protection to the existing 15A outlets (e.g. 4mm cable protected by a 20A CB per 15A outlet) it is permissible under Table C9 (page 484 of AS3000) to have up to eight additional 10A socket-outlets in that circuit (under certain circumstances).

2) There are legit 15A socket-outlet to 10A plug adapters that incorporate a miniature 10A CB. This might be a cheaper option than getting a sparkie out to fix the existing 15A outlet or installing a 10A beside it.
whynot is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2024, 04:14 PM   #28
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
Yup, I agree with Warrenk. I too am a licenced electrician.

The design of the 10 amp, 15 amp, 20 amp, 25 amp, and 32 amp single phase outlets is that the small can go into the bigger, but not the other way around. The physical interlock is the size and shape of the earth pin that increases with size. The 10 amp plug can go into (and open the shutters) of the 15 amp.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS/NZS_3112 for pictures.

Not sure why DETA decided to depart from a very long standing practice.

Those arguing about the upstream protection size are barking up the wrong tree here as well. Most domestic power circuit are either protected by a 16 amp fuse or a 20 amp circuit breaker. (And, these days, hopefully everything is also covered by an RCD.) If one looks at the operating characteristic of both, in the overload part of the curve, they are about the same. The 20A circuit breaker is much, much, better in clearing short circuits than the 16 amp fuse.

When putting a 10A plug into a 15A socket, thermal overload is not a problem as the device is limited to under 10A. The only concern is having sufficient low impedance as to clear a fault using the overcurrent part of the protective curve. Given the size of the conductor in the appliance, this is not a concern either as the cable fault rating for 1mm2 flexible is 1.2x104 A²s

There are a few options ...

1) Depending on the size of the wiring and the selected circuit protection to the existing 15A outlets (e.g. 4mm cable protected by a 20A CB per 15A outlet) it is permissible under Table C9 (page 484 of AS3000) to have up to eight additional 10A socket-outlets in that circuit (under certain circumstances).

2) There are legit 15A socket-outlet to 10A plug adapters that incorporate a miniature 10A CB. This might be a cheaper option than getting a sparkie out to fix the existing 15A outlet or installing a 10A beside it.

I understood everything that you posted and we all understand that you are a sparky (Great achievement by the way) but too much information will confuse people who aren't.
Old 20-01-2024, 04:43 PM   #29
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. You could also put a 15 amp plug ( https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-15a-...g-top_p4330042 ) on to an extension cord ( https://www.bunnings.com.au/click-2m...-lead_p0189129 ) or a power board with a 10 amp circuit breaker ( https://www.bunnings.com.au/click-wh...board_p0255490 ) or a power block with breaker and RCD ( https://www.bunnings.com.au/click-4-...witch_p0135806 ). Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2024, 05:07 PM   #30
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
There are legit 15A socket-outlet to 10A plug adapters that incorporate a miniature 10A CB. .
Can you post a link for me to a source please?